watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We're 3rd in the table since Boxing Day

Started by Southcoastffc, February 23, 2023, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Sorry about formatting.  Bravo Marco and the squad.

Team   Matches   Points
Man United   10   23
Man City   10   20
Fulham   9   19
Arsenal   9   17
Brentford   8   16
Brighton   8   14
Wolves   8   13
Spurs   9   13
Liverpool   8   13
Nottingham Forest   8   12
Newcastle   8   11
Chelsea   9   10
Aston Villa   8   10
Leicester City   8   7
Crystal Palace   9   7
Everton   8   7
West Ham   8   6
Southampton   8   6
Bournemouth   8   5
Leeds United   9   4
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Southcoastffc

I forgot to say that Wolves surprise me in that table
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

General

I appreciate tables like this, as they do point to the form of a team - what they don't do though which I think needs to be given as a better gauge of performance, is who they played against (average league position at least) and the form of the teams they play.

If Wolves played Southampton, Everton and Leeds alongside West Ham and Bournemouth in that time (the bottom five sides currently), then it'd not be half as impressive.

Interestingly enough, their last two games were in fact against Bournemouth and Southampton - they lost to Bournemouth and beat Southampton (but had a player sent off) and won with an own goal contributing to their win. They also beat Liverpool 3-0 in their third most recent game, but even that in current context would be seen as liverpool being typically weak, rather than an amazing result. I'm sure wolves fans would take it but it's far less impressive as a result.

interestingly, their other league games before that were a routine 3-0 loss to Man City and a 1-0 win over West Ham, again who've had a poor season and are low in that table you posted.

West Ham are in 18th.

So to recap, their form - whilst it looks impressive, is as follows (most recent to start)

Bournemouth 17th (L) 1-0
Southampton 20th (W) 2-1 (+1 OG and Red card)
Liverpool 8th (W) 3-0
Man City 2nd (L) 3-0
West Ham 18th (W) 1-0
Villa 11th (D) 1-1
Man Utd 3rd (L) 1-0
Everton 16th (W) 2-1   

I'd go as far as to say that they've actually got the results they should be getting given the games they've played and the teams they've come up against. I'd actually be worried as a Wolves fan.. those games were against the teams below them in the league  (16th, 17th, 18th and 20th) and they were close matches. Obviously you'd rather win them, but there are still only three points between them at the first relegation place.

Their next four games are going to be a bigger litmus test, they play us, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle - before going on to Leeds, Forest and Chelsea.

filham

Interesting but when it comes to match it is independent of previous results and they are  all one offs, we have seen there are no easy games, Southampton at the Cottage were hard to beat and make no mistake Wolves is not going to be a walk in the park.
Lady Luck walked arm in arm with us at Brighton, chances are she will favour Wolves tomorrow.

General

Quote from: filham on February 23, 2023, 10:19:14 AM
Interesting but when it comes to match it is independent of previous results and they are  all one offs, we have seen there are no easy games, Southampton at the Cottage were hard to beat and make no mistake Wolves is not going to be a walk in the park.
Lady Luck walked arm in arm with us at Brighton, chances are she will favour Wolves tomorrow.

Appreciate that, but it's somewhat stating the obvious. No-one has said we'd win, we're just pointing out the nuance of their form vs who they've played. That being said, if you look at it then they're very much a team you get what you expect from them. Doesn't mean the squad shouldn't or wont turn up - we've been consistent this season.

Colton F.C.

Continuing our form since the World Cup to the end of the season would leave us with 68 points and a probable Champions League place. Need to keep it real against Wolves.  One game at a time.  There are no easy matches. COYW.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: General on February 23, 2023, 10:09:29 AM

I appreciate tables like this, as they do point to the form of a team - what they don't do though which I think needs to be given as a better gauge of performance, is who they played against (average league position at least) and the form of the teams they play.

If Wolves played Southampton, Everton and Leeds alongside West Ham and Bournemouth in that time (the bottom five sides currently), then it'd not be half as impressive.

Interestingly enough, their last two games were in fact against Bournemouth and Southampton - they lost to Bournemouth and beat Southampton (but had a player sent off) and won with an own goal contributing to their win. They also beat Liverpool 3-0 in their third most recent game, but even that in current context would be seen as liverpool being typically weak, rather than an amazing result. I'm sure wolves fans would take it but it's far less impressive as a result.

interestingly, their other league games before that were a routine 3-0 loss to Man City and a 1-0 win over West Ham, again who've had a poor season and are low in that table you posted.

West Ham are in 18th.

So to recap, their form - whilst it looks impressive, is as follows (most recent to start)

Bournemouth 17th (L) 1-0
Southampton 20th (W) 2-1 (+1 OG and Red card)
Liverpool 8th (W) 3-0
Man City 2nd (L) 3-0
West Ham 18th (W) 1-0
Villa 11th (D) 1-1
Man Utd 3rd (L) 1-0
Everton 16th (W) 2-1   

I'd go as far as to say that they've actually got the results they should be getting given the games they've played and the teams they've come up against. I'd actually be worried as a Wolves fan.. those games were against the teams below them in the league  (16th, 17th, 18th and 20th) and they were close matches. Obviously you'd rather win them, but there are still only three points between them at the first relegation place.

Their next four games are going to be a bigger litmus test, they play us, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle - before going on to Leeds, Forest and Chelsea.

Thanks very much for that informative and balanced assessment.  Context is all and I hadn't looked as closely as you have done at Wolves in particular. 

ffcthereligion

Yes each game is technically a one off but this is not a roulette spin. Previous results, ie form, is very relevant in football as it affects the confidence and mood of a team. In my opinion this undeniably contributes to the atmosphere of any match and can affect the outcome, meaning each game is not truly independent of one another. Psychologically, if a team has lost 5 on the spin and is defending a lead, there are likely to be nerves and mistakes made in attempting to carry out that objective successfully. In a reductive sense there is no reason for that, but it is human nature to be affected by past experience

mrmicawbers

Wolves had a bit of a blip against Bournemouth, but were putting some decent results prior.

RaySmith

Quote from: ffcthereligion on February 23, 2023, 11:34:21 AM

Yes each game is technically a one off but this is not a roulette spin. Previous results, ie form, is very relevant in football as it affects the confidence and mood of a team. In my opinion this undeniably contributes to the atmosphere of any match and can affect the outcome, meaning each game is not truly independent of one another. Psychologically, if a team has lost 5 on the spin and is defending a lead, there are likely to be nerves and mistakes made in attempting to carry out that objective successfully. In a reductive sense there is no reason for that, but it is human nature to be affected by past experience

True, but the players need to clear their minds after poor performances - think each game is a new start, think of strong, winning performances, put the bad performance behind you, otherwise you could almost be expecting to lose.

Each game is a literally a one off - 11 v 11 on the day, that's how pro  players need to think. They train for a successful performance, mentally as well as physically, and manager and coaches  should really help the players in this, and I think Silva is good at this side of things, as well tactics, selection, etc.
I imagine Boa is pretty positive, a winner, too.

Hatch007

Pretty sure I read the other day that Wolves were bottom when Lopetegui took over. So regardless of opposition it's still a decent points return.

All that said, I still fancy a home win tomorrow.

COYW