watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When Johnny Haynes pulled Ian St John's hair

Started by Southcoastffc, February 23, 2023, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Do you remember when Match of The Day used to be one game, condensed to 45 minutes?*  This one is Fulham v Liverpool in 1966 - if you don't watch it all, make sure you watch the last 10 minutes when it becomes hilarious.   Some great players on that pitch.

*I preferred the one game programme.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Ronnief

You should change the title it was Mark Pearson who was targetted by Ian St John. St John fouled Pearson who tried to pull his hair but it was too short to do so. St John took a swing with his fist and Pearson fell to the floor as if he'd been knocked out. Pearson had probably played his best game for Fulham that day and St. John appeared to have a long held dislike of him. Both should probably have been sent off, however St John quite rightly got his marching orders. Was that the start of my dislike for that horrible team?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Ronnief on February 23, 2023, 01:48:27 PM
You should change the title it was Mark Pearson who was targetted by Ian St John. St John fouled Pearson who tried to pull his hair but it was too short to do so. St John took a swing with his fist and Pearson fell to the floor as if he'd been knocked out. Pearson had probably played his best game for Fulham that day and St. John appeared to have a long held dislike of him. Both should probably have been sent off, however St John quite rightly got his marching orders. Was that the start of my dislike for that horrible team?
Ah, you're correct of course.  I was fooled by JH wearing teh No 9 not 10.  Mea culpa  :Haynes The Maestro:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

davew

Never knew that Ian St John had hair, we learn something every day!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Thanks to the OP, enjoy visits down memory lane, 57 years ago, how time flies!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulham 442

Thanks to the OP, this was a great watch.  I loved seeing the crowd and how many were in suits and ties!  I bet my Dad was there with his Chelsea supporting best mate.  They used alternate between Fulham and Chelsea, happy days.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bencher

Quote from: Fulham 442 on February 24, 2023, 08:24:03 AM
Thanks to the OP, this was a great watch.  I loved seeing the crowd and how many were in suits and ties!  I bet my Dad was there with his Chelsea supporting best mate.  They used alternate between Fulham and Chelsea, happy days.

My Dad was probably also there with his Dad.

Andy S

The game has changed we know but Goal keepers still managed to handle a slippery ball even though they didn't wear gloves. I remember there was a keeper who played for West Brom, I think his name was osbourne who had very bad arthritis in his middle finger. There was talk that he might have to have it amputated. Some of the tackles that were deemed ok then would get red carded today. Liverpool still gave the ref a lot of mouth

georgiajohn

I remember this game so well, I was in the crowd as a 17 year old with my dad, we were standing on the far side, I tried to see if I could see us but no luck. Whoever posted this thank you, it was brilliant, I have told this story about how Liverpool were 8 points clear at the top, and we were 8 points clear at the bottom, if my memory serves me right we went on a tear after that game and I think we survived. The names on either team were fantastic, players I grew up with. The covergae did you notice how not once did you see an owner or manager on the side line, except Paisley who was an assistant telling Ian st John to get off, it was all about the game, and players were not wimps in those days, can you imagine some of the tackles those players took and just got on with it, I am not sure if it was this game but I rememeer Bobby Robson, playing with blood streaming down his leg. Its also amazing the skill level of those players on that pitch, but there was no time wasting they got on with it, they played the game. On a side not Earles second goal was most certainly handball, I think everybody there that day knew it was except the ref and the linesman, also remember coming out of the ground and the Liverpool supporters waiting for the fulham supporters with sticks it was scary, but it brought back such good memories, it was a time when football was played like ti should be.

ron

Quote from: Andy S on February 24, 2023, 10:06:35 AM
The game has changed we know but Goal keepers still managed to handle a slippery ball even though they didn't wear gloves. I remember there was a keeper who played for West Brom, I think his name was osbourne who had very bad arthritis in his middle finger. There was talk that he might have to have it amputated. Some of the tackles that were deemed ok then would get red carded today. Liverpool still gave the ref a lot of mouth

We had 'VAR' even then....Very Amenable Referees....