watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - It's now all the rage

Started by H4usuallysitting, March 01, 2023, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Foodies are apparently swooning over Artic Rolls..... I'm waiting for Beef Vesta & Findus Crispy Pancakes with a bit of Demis Roussos on the wireless

Lighthouse

Artic Rolls are fairly cheap and a fun pudding. In these days of price rises the exotic Vesta range of meals is a wonderful reminder when you could travel the World with your taste buds. Three day weeks, miners strikes. But we were happy and if we were lucky we had a tin of peaches and custard to go with the Artic Roll.

Dad with a snack of beef dripping on toast.

Exciting meal times with meals on hostess tea trollies with wonky wheels were all the rage.

Now we just have the rage.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Somerset Fulham

ron

It's a case of "rage comes with age". Time gives us more to get grumpy about....and we have to face it all without Watney's Red Barrel etc....

H4usuallysitting

I had beef dripping butter the other day in a posh pub....it was handsome

hovewhite

Artic rolls ,blast from the past ,just fancy one.

cookieg

Forgive the pedantry but it's arctic roll. An artic roll would cause a huge pile up on the M6.

RaySmith

Quote from: ron on March 01, 2023, 08:29:44 PM
It's a case of "rage comes with age". Time gives us more to get grumpy about....and we have to face it all without Watney's Red Barrel etc....

I remember it came in a huge tin, Party 7 ? - I thought it was  disgusting.

Only a few  decent pints in those days - Youngs, Courage's Directors, Ruddles, but now 'craft beer' is all over the place, but don't get to drink it much , since I rarely go in pubs. 
Usually see a dazzling array of pints, no idea what they are, usually choose the strongest, since they often have the strength up, if I can't see that just choose one at random.

Arctic Roll - who doesn't love that, such a treat.

deadcowboys

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 01, 2023, 08:10:13 PM
Foodies are apparently swooning over Artic Rolls..... I'm waiting for Beef Vesta & Findus Crispy Pancakes with a bit of Demis Roussos on the wireless

Order your beef vesta curry or chow mein from Amazon, think Demis must have eaten all the crispy pancakes.

Holders

I remember Vesta curries - ugh! - surprise peas and Smash. Dreadful.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Somerset Fulham

You can and always have been able to buy all of this utterly dreadful stuff mentioned in any supermarket with maybe the exception of that horrendous Watneys dish water.

ron

Quote from: RaySmith on March 02, 2023, 11:25:06 PM

Only a few  decent pints in those days - Youngs, Courage's Directors, Ruddles, but now 'craft beer' is all over the place, but don't get to drink it much , since I rarely go in pubs. 
Usually see a dazzling array of pints, no idea what they are, usually choose the strongest, since they often have the strength up, if I can't see that just choose one at random.

I think having to drink the dreadful Red Barrel was the price we had to pay for being young at the time!
I remember vividly having Party Seven big cans at parties but not having the can opener.....so trying to open them with screwdrivers etc....and in extreme cases trying to spike them on railings....with the result of beer stains on the mohair suit!

RaySmith

Quote from: ron on March 03, 2023, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 02, 2023, 11:25:06 PM

I think having to drink the dreadful Red Barrel was the price we had to pay for being young at the time!
I remember vividly having Party Seven big cans at parties but not having the can opener.....so trying to open them with screwdrivers etc....and in extreme cases trying to spike them on railings....with the result of beer stains on the mohair suit!

Ha, ha - great post, brings back memories!

Opening cans and bottles always seemed  problematic in those days, when  you often didn't have the right implements.
Trying to open bottles in door jambs, or hitting them  against the edges table tops with the heel of your hand - usually left you with a big gash in someone's dining room table, and the bottle still resolutely unopened.

I once worked with a Geordie who claimed to be able to open bottles with his teeth, I never saw him do it, but he had the broken teeth to prove it!

H4usuallysitting

Go down the shop to buy a single & a bottle of Blue Nun....total sophistication

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Trying to remember when I las saw a Toffee Apple, now that used to be a treat.

Cornishnick

ooh, Red Barrel eh. You could drink gallons of that stuff and still driver home sober. I worked for Watneys for a while back then and amongst the many complaints received was one accusing the company of being run by communists - think red and barrel !!

sunburywhite

I saw some graffiti once
Watneys is like making love in a boat
Fu'king close to water
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: filham on March 03, 2023, 07:20:13 PM
Trying to remember when I las saw a Toffee Apple, now that used to be a treat.

You get them down here a lot at village fares and carinvals, not sure about London though.