watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Olivier Giroud

Started by Fulham 442, March 03, 2023, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

The lack of quality strikers about is startling would prefer gyokeres from Coventry a much better investment.

fancyfeet4

Giroud is like that friend that if you hang out with him once in a while, thats great.  But if you spend time with him day to day, you really dont like him.

Giroud is a super sub and a great player in spots with service.  But if he is playing 2-3 matches in a row, he would struggle.  He is going to be 37 come the fall.  I get as a backup to Mitro he would be a decent replacement, but ultimately we need someone to push Mitro to stay sharp.  Not someone who is a backup. 

Colton F.C.

Remember Season 13-14.  Abject relegation with barely a player under 30.  The team needs to develop and not regress with too many grey hairs.

jayffc

Quote from: FulhamKC on March 03, 2023, 11:45:53 PM
Quote from: jayffc on March 03, 2023, 11:42:35 PM
The guys 37 this year...

37!

3 years older than Willian and was never blessed with any pace as it was.

Good as he's been it's a no for me I'd rather spend the wages and time finding someone who could set us up for next few years rather than a 1 season stop gap.

I completely understand your point. But what good striker is going to want to be Mitro's backup? Maybe a guy who is approaching the end of his career and can still play well (see World Cup 2022) is better for us than a young player like Muniz or Vinicius.

There are plenty of potential upcoming strikers who'd fancy their chances in the Premier League on Premier league wages as a number 2 who can challenge for a number 1 spot... knowing that if Mitro gets injured they'll get an extended run in the team + games in the cups.

It may mean taking a chance on an upcoming Championship or Forgein League player but I'd rather that than a 37 year old.

Failing that
Dembele is 26 and available on a free this summer

perry geyton

On loan for a season absolutely

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on March 03, 2023, 04:24:00 PM
Hard to understand why Giround would want to do bench time at the Cottage waiting for Mitro to be injured.

And therein lies the conundrum.  What kind of quality can we expect in any striker waiting for a Mitrovic injury or suspension?  Methinks maybe FFC should be looking for some high quality wingers?  If we can keep Solomon at CC, that might be one.  Sure, we have Willian, BDR, Wilson et al, but maybe we should be looking for upgrades.  When Harry Kane goes down, Spurs have other players that can take up the slack, such as Son and Richarlison who are talented goal scorers in their own right.  I don't think they have a striker for striker replacement if/when Kane goes down.  Or maybe this kid from Coventry, but will he be happy sitting and waiting....

Just a thought........

Whitestone

Giroud - no

Firmino - yes

btffc

Quote from: WindyCity on March 04, 2023, 08:00:20 PM
Quote from: filham on March 03, 2023, 04:24:00 PM
Hard to understand why Giround would want to do bench time at the Cottage waiting for Mitro to be injured.

And therein lies the conundrum.  What kind of quality can we expect in any striker waiting for a Mitrovic injury or suspension?  Methinks maybe FFC should be looking for some high quality wingers?  If we can keep Solomon at CC, that might be one.  Sure, we have Willian, BDR, Wilson et al, but maybe we should be looking for upgrades.  When Harry Kane goes down, Spurs have other players that can take up the slack, such as Son and Richarlison who are talented goal scorers in their own right.  I don't think they have a striker for striker replacement if/when Kane goes down.  Or maybe this kid from Coventry, but will he be happy sitting and waiting....

Just a thought........

Agree with this. Locking down Solomon should be first priority then next after that it should be significantly upgrading the RW position and put Willian in an impact sub role for both sides. I can't imagine Giroud would want to come to Fulham with Mitro in place, but his wife may want to return to London so maybe he is willing to take a backup role and contract to make her happy. Brentford to replace Toney while he's suspended makes a lot of sense for him.

If someone comes in with an offer for Mitro you can't say no to then he makes sense to bring in along with a younger long term replacement like Gyokeres, but otherwise don't see it.