Leeds
Wolves
1-0
Spurs
Southampton
1-0
Leicester

WhiteJC

"One thing we can say for certain..." – Pundit makes Coventry player transfer prediction as Fulham, Everton and Leeds circle

Fulham are expected to make a move for Coventry City striker Viktor Gyokeres in the summer, as per a report from Football Insider.

A previous report from Football Insider last week revealed that Everton and Leeds United have also been checking out Coventry's talisman.

The Cottagers, who held an interest in the exciting Championship striker in the summer, also saw an initial bid rejected in the January transfer window.

Gyokeres has netted 15 league goals this season, enough to see him second in the second-tier goalscoring charts at present and has continued to be a top performer for Mark Robins' side.

Sharing his thoughts on the impressive striker and assessing Fulham as a possible destination, Carlton Palmer told Football League World: "Well, he's having a very fine season isn't he? He's the second-highest scorer in the Championship this season.

"I think one thing we can say for certain is that he's going to move this summer. Fulham were interested in the January transfer window and moved for him last summer. So I think it's fair to say that is going to be moving on.

"They're not going to allow him to run down his contract and his contract expires in the summer of 2024.

"So, they're gonna have to take a cut-price fee for him. I mean, they were they were asking ridiculous money now. I think they're looking at about 12-15 million now.

"If you look at the clubs that are interested in him at the moment, Everton, Bournemouth and Leeds, and you're not sure which one of those teams are going to still be in the Premier League next season.

"Fulham could be a great move for him."

The verdict

Gyokeres is a fantastic Championship striker and it would be a surprise if he is still plying his trade in the second tier next season.

A striker who possesses all the desired qualities that a Premier League club would want, it would be no shock if further top-flight clubs registered an interest ahead of the opening of the summer window.

Whilst joining Fulham represents an exciting opportunity to join a club evidently on the up, it would be difficult for the Swedish striker to dethrone Aleksandar Mitrovic from a starting spot.

However, Fulham's relentless attempts to lure Gyokeres to Craven Cottage suggest he is a player they hold in high regard and could see him as part of an immediate plan and their relatively long-term future.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/one-thing-we-can-say-for-certain-pundit-makes-coventry-player-transfer-prediction-as-fulham-everton-and-leeds-circle/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Kevin McDonald on his life after lifesaving kidney surgery as he sends message to Fulham

Former Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is back in the EFL after undergoing a kidney transplant in 2021, but his journey to Exeter City has been anything but straightforward

Kevin McDonald's first goal in five years in Exeter City's win over Cambridge United last weekend was, by all accounts, a pretty special one.

It's got nothing to do with the long wait, either - McDonald hasn't exactly been the most prolific goalscorer during his playing career, but there have been some pretty significant mitigating factors at play.

Back in May 2021, McDonald's life changed forever when he underwent lifesaving kidney surgery. At the time, a return to football was far from a guarantee.

In reality, though, that journey started almost a decade earlier when a routine medical before a switch to Burnley saw McDonald, then just a teenager, diagnosed with IgA nephropathy: a chronic kidney disease that slowly progresses to failure over a prolonged period.

The end goal was always going to be a transplant. As McDonald himself puts it, there is no cure for the disease and it was merely a case of "trying to grind it out for as long as possible" before undergoing surgery. That moment arrived when he reached stage five of the disease; meaning one of his kidneys had stopped functioning altogether. Kevin's brother, Fraser, stepped in to save his sibling after a Royal Mail mix-up had prevented one of the midfielder's close friends from doing so.

Understandably though, none of that was on McDonald's radar when he was forced to digest the news that he had the devastating disease at the tender age of 20.

"When I first got diagnosed, to this day, I'd say it's never really sunk in because I've just gone about life as normal. I didn't feel any different and starting my football career as my sole focus at the end of the day," McDonald tells Mirror Football . "I get a medical, I'm absolutely buzzing to sign for Burnley and then I get this. In the end, signing for Burnley and my career in England overpowered what was ultimately a serious condition.

"I remember at the time it was obviously serious and stuff, but I'd just passed a medical and I was like I've done well: I'm moving to England to play football. That's where my head was more focused. They said at the time you're going to need a transplant and so on, but looking back, I for sure never thought of the severity of it. Four years later it was probably still the same. Four years later after that, possibly similar with a little bit more understanding [of the situation] but I lived a normal life every single week, so it was the last thing on my mind."

McDonald played with the disease for years and estimates that it was only when he hit 30 that he first started to notice things had deteriorated slightly. It was fairly innocuous things: the 34-year-old, who was playing for Fulham at the time, was falling behind in runs, for examples. But after a routine blood test, the severity of the situation began to hit home. McDonald was told that he needed a transplant and that resuming his football career was anything but a foregone conclusion.

Understandably, that hit hard. But even after undergoing the daunting procedure, there were fresh difficulties for McDonald to negotiate. His body initially rejected the new kidney, meaning the former Scotland international was forced into a prolonged hospital stay. Then, being high risk, he had to isolate himself for months during a gruelling recovery process alongside his brother and his wife, who was heavily pregnant at the time. He admits that was one of the toughest moments.

"There were plenty of times when it was mentally hard. The hardest part for me was, I left Fulham in the summer and May was the transplant, so I had a good four months in isolation, so I couldn't really do anything anyway. I could only do the bare minimum and my wife was getting more and more pregnant. That part was tough for sure."

McDonald scored his first goal in five years during Exeter's 2-0 win over Cambridge United last weekend ( Image:
FRANKIE OKEEFFE/PPAUK/REX/Shutterstock)

But there were plenty more hardships to come. After getting the green light to resume training with Fulham, McDonald - who by now was a free agent after being released by the Whites - was struggling to find anybody willing to take a chance on him.

"They [Fulham] were brilliant with me again, but the hardest part was getting back into a club. I understand certain teams [not wanting to give him a deal] - maybe high-level Championship clubs; I knew I wasn't going to get that sort of level even though I know I could still play there now.

"I won't name clubs out of respect, but there were sides we would have never in a million years considered, and they were turning around and saying we're not sure. I'm sat at home thinking: 'F*** me'. I was fully training and good to go in December. I was back in a good place and flying at that time, but there was no options to go and train anywhere. I used contacts to go and train, but there wasn't a contract at the end of it. I was going into places and training well but getting nowhere. I ended up in Scotland training with Dundee United and I did well and ended up signing for them for the second part of the season.

"There were signs that the way I've always played was still there. But what I would say is that the league didn't suit me in any way, shape or form. Apart from the likes of Celtic and Rangers who are in control every game, it was a lot of long balls, second balls and tackling, running, chasing. I found that hard, but in some respects, it was perfect for me to put myself back into because I was getting little knocks and niggles. It was good to get back in somewhere; the manager was great and they were a great bunch of lads.

"The fans were on my side there but I knew it was time to move on [after his short-term deal was up]. I went to Derby pre-season and did well, but something was going on with my body, I had a problem with a disc pushing against a nerve in my back. I was good to go, to be honest with you, and then that - talk about timing! That period was probably harder than the transplant, to be honest with you."

McDonald was promoted to the Premier League twice during his time at Fulham ( Image:
Robbie Jay Barratt/AMA)

McDonald's frustration at Derby ended up being the prelude to a challenging six-month period which consisted of numerous false dawns. After suffering another injury setback, McDonald returned to Fulham before he was given a call from Huddersfield just before Christmas. The opportunity to get back to a top level of football held an obvious appeal, but a "derisory" contract offer killed any prospect of a deal being done.

"It was unacceptable to be fair. I guess they tried their chances, and I hold no grudges, but it was disrespectful at the time. It was disappointing. I took Christmas off, I had a few beers and enjoyed myself with my family.

"[Then] I went to Bradford and again done well, so I know myself I'm capable. It's not like I'm going to all these clubs and not getting anything. If I was going in and each team was saying no thanks, then fine, but I'm getting offers. I get offered a contract [by Bradford] but there's a little bit of a mix-up; nothing bad. It should have worked out, but it didn't. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, though, because now I'm here at Exeter. They've given me the chance to show I'm still a good player at a good level and it's been great."

McDonald's fine strike in Exeter's 2-0 win over Cambridge, fittingly, came just before the start of March, which is kidney month. The goal is a remarkable milestone that, in some ways, caps a truly torrid chapter of the midfielder's life. The veteran has penned a short-term deal until the end of the season but is open to extending his stay at a club who have thrived since earning promotion to the third tier last year.

Gary Caldwell's side are currently in mid-table and, up until recently, appeared to have an outside chance of cracking into the League One play-offs. McDonald admits that a rotten run of form prior to last weekend's win has probably put paid to that, but he is adamant that the Grecians, a club run and owned by its supporters' trust, are on an upward trajectory.

"It's a good club; we just got a new training ground, which was needed. When I went in it was like going back in time! That's in place now and we went into it at the start of last week. That makes such a huge, huge difference to a club. They've just come up from League Two, they've got a lovely training ground, the pitch at the stadium is absolutely top-drawer, which was a big thing for me as well, to be playing on that each week. Come the summertime, when the club tries to attract players, it's going to be huge. It's a great set of lads, a good set of staff. It's a team that's probably playing at 50 per cent of its potential at the moment. There are a lot of good young players in there and a good set of lads. It's a club that I would say is on the rise, for sure."

Working with Caldwell, who was handed his first managerial job by Wigan Athletic at the age of just 32 isn't lost on McDonald, who admits he contemplated a future in coaching a lot during his rehabilitation. He has already had a taste of coaching at Fulham, where was able to take sessions with their Under-18 and Under-23 teams prior to his transplant. After being omitted from the Whites' 25-man Premier League squad, McDonald even opted against making a move elsewhere to take a year out in order to focus on his health whilst delving deeper into coaching in the background.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-kevin-mcdonald-exeter-efl-29346539

WhiteJC

Welcoming the new Academy management.

The Trust would like to congratulate Sean Cullen and Steve Wigley on their promotions in Fulham's academy, which were announced last week. Cullen, formerly Fulham's head of academy operations, has been confirmed as the new academy director, succeeding Mike Cave, who left to join Brighton and Hove Albion earlier this season. After his career as a history teacher, he headed up the award-winning partnership between Fulham and Coombe Boys School before joining Fulham as the club's head of education.

Cullen, a member of the Premier League's educational advisory board, takes over a portfolio that includes includes overseeing Fulham's progress at under 21 and under 18 level as well as the younger age-group sides and the academy's administration, governance, sports science and player care. Wigley, who won back to back under-18 Premier League titles before taking over the under-21 side, has been handed a newly-created role as Fulham's academy technical director and will lead on the academy's philosophy, coaching and recruitment.

The Trust looks forward to continuing our close working relationship with the academy, through whom we award with Johnny Haynes' Trophy for young player of the year each season, and its head of football development Huw Jennings.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2023/03/welcoming-the-new-academy-management/

WhiteJC

The state of football governance.
There has been plenty of news recently around the release of a football 'white paper' which is set to make major changes in governance of the sport. Tom Greatrex gives his thoughts on these moves and how it can impact Fulham in the future.

Fulham fans have always had to fight for the future of our beloved club. From the sale of the freehold of Craven Cottage to long since defunct property developers, through to the messy plan to merge local rivals to create 'Fulham Park Rangers', public inquiries over the future of Craven Cottage and the successful 'Back to the Cottage' campaign from which the Fulham Supporters' Trust was formed, off-field matters have been as pertinent as the team's on-pitch fortunes to many supporters for a long time. The Trust has consistently campaigned for reforms to the game's governance, as we've seen a number of clubs suffer at the hands of ill-equipped ownership, and contributed to the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee's review of football governance back in 2010.

Nearly two years ago now, the wider football family were shocked as a handful of Europe's most powerful clubs sought to obliterate our game's current structure and replace it with a closed shop league in order to hoard even more of football's wealth.

The European Super League provoked such a furious response from supporters that, within 72 hours, the whole concept had fallen apart while the Government said it would launch the fan-led review of football governance, which had been promised in the Conservative Party's 2019 General Election manifesto.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur all pulled out of the ESL proposals as owners and chief executives scrambled to explain, and excuse, their involvement before sheepishly admitting to have got it badly wrong.

Tracey Crouch MP was tasked with leading fan-led review and pulled together an expert panel which featured, amongst others, the FSA's chief executive Kevin Miles. During the process more than 130 supporters' trusts and groups from across the game gave evidence.

While the review was "ownership neutral" in many senses its recommendations offer protections that come along with the FSA's preferred model – supporter ownership.

There were detailed plans for a new independent regulator for English football (the snappily titled "IREF") which would operate a licensing system for professional men's football. That means more real time scrutiny of the real financial state of clubs, with IREF taking a more proactive approach towards intervening in crisis clubs, alongside a new owners' and directors' test for clubs to protect these important community and cultural assets.

Almost every club trades on the name of its town or city, its local community. Its behaviour affects that community financially and emotionally. If they go bust its local businesses who are often hardest hit while the damage to the supporter base is immeasurable.

The unique position football clubs hold in our national psyche – you can change your supermarket but not your club – means that anyone who wishes to own a football club should expect more scrutiny than other businesses, not less. In a phrase often coined by the author of Shahid Khan's periodic programme notes, owners are custodians of cultural assets – and they should understand those assets hold a wider value which requires protections beyond that of other businesses.

The review also proposed better supporter engagement models, the protection of club heritage and redistribution of football's wealth throughout the grassroots and the pyramid.

These are all positive steps that we'd expect supporter ownership to deliver but supporter ownership at the elite level is not a realistic goal while top-flight clubs are valued at as much as £5bn. So the review, and the resulting White Paper, is an effective workaround.

So how does the Government's White Paper, published last week, measure up to the review's recommendations?

While there will be a short and focussed period of detailed consultation in the weeks ahead, as an initial assessment, the White Paper addresses our key concerns around protecting against bad ownership and breakaway competitions whilst seeking to distribute football's wealth in a more equitable manner throughout the game. There are also progressive ideas on supporter engagement and new protections around heritage issues (stadiums, kit colours, club crests and so on).

While the EFL has committed to these changes and the FA has accepted the need for oversight independent of club owners, the Premier League and some of their clubs' leading lights remain opposed – misleadingly presenting a club licensing approach as used in most other UEFA nations, as 'government running football'. The fact that football itself has not addressed many of the issues identified in the fan led review over the last twenty years or so does not give anybody much confidence that 'football' (ie Karren Brady and David Sullivan with Martin Samuel as a tabloid cheerleader) has the slightest inclination to fix its own problems.

Does the White Paper commit to every single thing we want? No. Will some of the Premier League's club owners oppose it with all their might? Probably. That's a good indication this is a step in the right direction. The size of that step will be determined by legislative progress through Parliament in 2023 – and we will be watching closely.

Tom Greatrex is the vice chair of the Football Supporters Association, former chair of the Back to the Cottage campaign, a previous Labour and Co-Operative MP for Hamilton and Rutherglen West and a member of the Fulham Supporters' Trust board

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2023/03/the-state-of-football-governance/

WhiteJC

Robinson stuns Spurs in PL2 thriller
Charlie Robinson headed in a late winner as Fulham's under 21s won a see-saw seven-goal thriller against Tottenham Hotspur in the PL2 at Motspur Park last night.

The cultured centre back glanced Martial Godo's corner past Spurs substitute goalkeeper Luca Gunter with nine minutes to play to seal a dramatic victory for Steve Wigley's side after the young Whites had come from behind during an awesome advert for under-21 football. The teenage defender's second goal of the season secured all three points for the hosts, who leapfrogged Liverpool to move up to third in the top flight – in their first term back at the top table of development football.

Wigley recalled George Wickens and Luke Harris to his starting line-up in place of Alex Borto and Terrell Works after the pair missed last weekend's win at Blackburn. Summer signing Kristian Šekularac made a welcome return as a second half substitute after a long spell on the sidelines. It took just three minutes for the hosts to go in front as the highly-rated Harris sent Godo clear of the Tottenham defence with a beautifully threaded through ball. The 19 year-old kept his composure commendably to slot home his third goal of the season.

Spurs were playing plenty of purposeful football and caused problems for the home defence. It took a brave block from Jay Williams to prevent Kasey Cesay from equalising. Terry Ablade was denied by a sharp save from Josh Keely after shooting from an acute angle, but the visitors were getting more joy as Yago Santiago dropped into pockets of space between the Fulham defence and midfield. The Spanish forward, a scorer in the reverse fixture, sped away from Robinson to score after great play from Alfie Devine along the right flank.

The visitors' defensive resolution was tested once the unfortunate Keely was replaced by Gunter having taken suffered a facial injury after repelling Ablade again, but they hit the front midway the first half. Santiago turned supplier this time, setting up former Chelsea forward Jude Soonsup-Bell, who fired his second goal as many outings into the bottom corner. Gunter pulled off a fine reaction save to deny Harris as Fulham sought an immediate riposte, but was soon picking the ball out of his own net after his attempted clearance was charged down by Ablade and the rebound restored parity.

In an increasingly open first half, Tottenham's most potent threat came from the dazzling feet of Romaine Mundle. The winger waltzed through the Fulham defence in a sensational run that took him the Tottenham half into the penalty area before shooting fractionally wide a minute before half time but played a part in Spurs heading into the break ahead. His corner was headed home by Charlie Sayers, with a deflection leaving Wickens helpless. That wasn't the end of a breathless first half, however, as Gunter saved from Ablade in added time.

The hosts emerged rejuvenated by what might have been a frank half-time team talk and put Tottenham under pressure after the restart. Devan Tanton, who had come close to scoring at Blackburn on Sunday, did find the net just before the hour mark but there was a touch of fortune about this one as his attempted cross from the right caught out Gunter and flew all the way in to make it 3-3. The equaliser did break Spurs back to life with Mundle embarking on another superb solo run and Santiago seeing a goal disallowed after the ball had gone out of play before it was crossed towards him.

Robinson, a consistent performer at both under-18 and under-21 level since joining Fulham two summers ago, guided his header across Gunter and inside the far post to put the home side in front. Wigley's battlers still had to survive a period of serious Spurs pressure, during which referee Hiroyuki Kimura waved away penalty appeals for handball and Soonsup-Bell was crowded out in the area. This victory was testament to a character of a side that refuse to give up – and are still fighting for silverware on three fronts.

FULHAM UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Wickens; Tanton, Araujo, C. Robinson, D'Auria-Henry; Williams, Okkas (Šekularac 51); Sanderson, Godo, Harris; Ablade. Subs (not used): Allen, de Jesus, McCoy-Splatt, McFarlane.

BOOKED: Sanderson, Araujo.

GOALS: Godo (3), Ablade (31), Tanton (58), Robinson (81).

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Keeley (Gunter 19); Abbott, Robson, Sayers, Fagan-Walcott; Cesay (Donley 68); Santiago, Mundle (Mathurin 77), Devine; Soonsup-Bell. Subs (not used): Cassanova, Dorrington.

BOOKED: Santiago.

GOALS: Santiago (9), Soonsup-Bell (25), Sayers (44).

REFEREE: Hiroyuki Kimura.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/03/robinson-stuns-spurs-in-pl2-thriller/

WhiteJC

Manager says he wants to sign Arsenal target, but he knows there'll be 'competition'

Speaking in his pre-match press conference, Marco Silva has been discussing Manor Solomon's future at Fulham.

The Israeli winger has been in fabulous form as of late. He's scored four goals in his last four appearances for the Whites, and, inevitably, this good form has led to links to the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham, via Ynet.

Silva is well aware that it may be a challenge to keep hold of Solomon, but he says that Fulham are ready for the competition if it does crop up.

Silva wants Solomon
The Fulham boss spoke about the winger's future.

"We have to be ready, not to lose him, but we have to be ready for the competition in the market if it appears," said Silva.

"It was a decision we made as a club. Now we have to be ready to face it. Simple as that. In that moment we tried to sign him permanently. For many reasons, which is not important to talk about now, it was not possible.

"It can't be a drama for us. We knew from the first day what can happen. We tried. I tried my best to sign him permanently in that moment. And now, it is what it is."

Can they keep him?
Solomon is quickly becoming a fan favourite at Fulham with his dazzling performances and brilliant goals, but the question now is, can they keep hold of him?

Well, ultimately, the decision may lie in Solomon's hands as he enters the final six months of his Shakhtar Donetsk contract, and if that is the case, Fulham have a chance to keep him.

Indeed, the winger is enjoying a brilliant run of form right now in a team that is flying high, and he surely won't want to cut that short just to head to either Spurs or Arsenal where he may be more of a bit-part player.

Fulham have as good a chance as anyone when it comes to signing Solomon.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/04/manager-says-he-wants-to-sign-arsenal-target-but-he-knows-therell-be-competition/

WhiteJC

McDonald: 'I can't thank Fulham enough'
Former Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald has given a typical no-holds-barred assessment of his career in a brilliant interview with the Daily Mirror. The Scottish midfielder talks about his return to professional football following his kidney transplant at Exeter City, for whom he scored a stunning first goal against Cambridge last week. If you're not seen it already, you might think he's been watching Manor Solomon or just wanted to remind Tom Cairney that a right foot isn't just for standing on.

McDonald, for so long the leader of a tightknit Fulham dressing room, reveals the trials and tribulations of life post-transplant and how his desire to get back to playing regularly was thwarted by another injury and a derisory contract offer from Huddersfield Town. He has settled well at fan-owned Exeter City, to where Fulham's Jay Stansfield has also returned on loan, and still has significant playing aspirations.

The popular Carnoustie-born midfielder discusses how Fulham handled both his condition and his release, detailing how he went back to the club and worked alongside Marco Silva earlier this year.

"There were plenty of times when it was mentally hard. The hardest part for me was, I left Fulham in the summer and May was the transplant, so I had a good four months in isolation, so I couldn't really do anything anyway. I could only do the bare minimum and my wife was getting more and more pregnant. That part was tough for sure.

They [Fulham] were brilliant with me again, but the hardest part was getting back into a club. I understand certain teams [not wanting to give him a deal] – maybe high-level Championship clubs; I knew I wasn't going to get that sort of level even though I know I could still play there now."

He is enjoying life with Exeter, who have comfortably adapted to life in League One again, and playing under a compatriot in Gary Caldwell.

"It's a good club; we just got a new training ground, which was needed. When I went in it was like going back in time! That's in place now and we went into it at the start of last week. That makes such a huge, huge difference to a club. They've just come up from League Two, they've got a lovely training ground, the pitch at the stadium is absolutely top-drawer, which was a big thing for me as well, to be playing on that each week. Come the summertime, when the club tries to attract players, it's going to be huge. It's a great set of lads, a good set of staff. It's a team that's probably playing at 50 per cent of its potential at the moment. There are a lot of good young players in there and a good set of lads. It's a club that I would say is on the rise, for sure."

Whilst still wanting to play, McDonald does envisage a coaching career at some point.

"I was fortunate enough at Fulham to work under good managers when I was looking into coaching, Marco Silva being one of the main ones. The manager asks for opinions here and there and stuff. It's something that I'd like to go into. I know I've got a lot to offer on the football side myself, but at the same time, I've got an alright knowledge of coaching. I can't thank them [Fulham] enough [for what they've done] in terms of before, after and still to this day. But overall, when I was training I knew I was still a good footballer and felt fine. I knew all along that I wanted to get back to playing, but I needed a back-up in place. It was probably a clever idea at the time not to play and coach instead."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/03/mcdonald-i-cant-thank-fulham-enough/

WhiteJC

FulView for February 2023
Before we get into the review of Fulham's February, let's take a moment to thank February's site sponsor: @jumpkutz !

Where Fulham Started February:
31 Points
7th Place

February Record: 2W 0L 2D
4 GF, 1 GA
Points Per Match: 2 (1.6 for the season)

Where Fulham Ended February:
39 Points
6th Place

Any time a team can go a month and only give up one goal in the league, it was probably a pretty good month. Fulham got through February without losing a single match thanks in large part to the excellent play of the defense. I mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating - in the 10 matches since the World Cup, Fulham has given up just 0.5 goals per match compared to 1.7 in the 15 prior matches. The improved performance by the defense allowed Fulham to still earn points in the three matches without Mitrovic compared to zero points from the three matches without Mitrovic prior to the World Cup.

February 2023 will also be remembered as the time that Manor Solomon finally got to show what he can do. Of the 9 goals scored in all competitions in February, Solomon accounted for 4 of them. It is hard to pick a favorite, but I think I have to go with the one against Brighton since it was the match winner.

Fulham also continued their best FA Cup run in years with wins over Sunderland and Leeds.

Most importantly, Fulham got to the magic number of 38 points - the number typically needed to avoid relegation. In Fulham's last three outings in the Premier League they fell short of this goal by 6, 12, and 10 points. 38 points had been the goal Fulham desperately desired, but failed to reach. Here it is, early March, with 13 matches remaining and Fulham has already achieved safety. It is truly remarkable that we can watch the last third of the season play out and not worry one iota about relegation.

https://fulhamusa.com/threads/fulview-for-february-2023.10415/

WhiteJC

U18 Report: Saints well-beaten by Fulham

A very young Southampton Under-18s side fell to defeat at Fulham in the Under-18s Premier League on Saturday.

In action just two days after their FA Youth Cup heroics at Preston North End, a much-changed side went into half time with a 2-1 lead thanks to the opening goal from Nick Oyekunle and a Tommy-Lee Higgs penalty, either side of a reply from Fulham's Lemar Gordon.

However, superb attacking play from the hosts in the second period saw them add four to their tally for the day as Gordon's second was added to by further strikes from Aaron Loupalo-Bi, Delano McCoy-Splatt and Brad De Jesus.

In the capital, it did not take the visitors long to hit their stride and they took the lead with just three minutes on the clock.

Good pressure from strikers Higgs and Oyekunle saw the latter win the ball and run through on goal, where his subsequent finish across goal was composed and found the bottom corner.

Higgs then almost got his name on the scoresheet too when Saints won a free-kick in a promising area, but his whipped effort went narrowly over despite a clean connection from his right foot.

Fulham gradually worked their way back into proceedings though and levelled things up in the 22nd minute.

Winger Gordon had already forced an excellent save from Saints goalkeeper Josh Jeffries but found his way into the box again in the next attack to fire the ball low into the net at the near post.

Saints soon looked forward again and Higgs worked another good opportunity for himself when he jinked into the box on the right and struck a shot wide and into the side-netting at the near post.

However, the striker was not to be denied for long and did find his goal from the penalty spot – a spot-kick dispatched confidently down the middle after yekunle had been brought down by Fulham goalkeeper Michael Allen.

Higgs was captaining Saints and seemed to be involved in everything that the Hampshire outfit did going forwards.

Some incisive build-up through the middle of the pitch saw Korban McMullan lay on another chance for him shortly before half-time, but Higgs was denied in the box by a strong save from Allen.

It was Fulham who then made the fastest start to the second period and their first attack of promise saw them equalise once again.

A low ball across goal from the right by Delano McCoy-Splatt found Loupalo-Bi at the far post and he had the simple task of turning home from close-range.

Saints pushed to move ahead again though and we're denied by two more excellent saves from Allen – the first denied McMullan but the second saw him fly to his left to make a miraculous stop as Oyekunle looked to tap home a low cross from inside the six-yard box.

As both sides tussled to gain full control of the contest late on, it was Fulham who grabbed a 3-2 lead in the 68th minute.

A tidy move down the left saw the lively ordon play McCoy-Splatt into the area and his poked finish on the stretch found the net just inside the near post.

With Saints up against a confident home attack as the game moved towards its conclusion, there was still time for Fulham to add two further goals.

Gordon made it 4-2 with a sublime curling effort after cutting in from the left flank and then full-back De Jesus was on hand to nod home from a corner and complete the scoring in the game.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2023-03-04/u18-report-fulham-southampton-u18-premier-league-2023

WhiteJC

Gordon hat-trick fires five-star Fulham U18s past Saints
A brilliant hat-trick from winger Lemar Gordon inspired Fulham's under 18s to roar back from behind and thrash Southampton 5-2 this afternoon.

Ali Melloul's side shrugged off the setback of letting in a goal within the first three minutes to eventually overwhelm the Saints and move into second spot in the Premier League South. The visitors' forwards, Tommy Lee-Hicks and Nick Oyekunle, won the ball high up the pitch and Oyekunle burst clear of an exposed defence to give the visitors a dream start by finishing clinically past Michael Allen.

Southampton went close to doubling their lead when Higgs sent a free-kick fractionally over the bar and Fulham levelled midway through the first period. The lively Gordon, who had already extended Saints goalkeeper Josh Jeffries, grabbed his first of the afternoon when he lashed in at the near post after a well-worked free kick. An open game saw Oyekunle denied by a brilliant block from Damon Park before Higgs hammered an effort into the side netting.

The visitors were still brimming with confidence and Higgs eventually got his goal, drilling an emphatic penalty right down the middle of goal after he had been upended in the area by Allen. It could have been worse for the young Whites at the interval, but the Fulham goalkeeper reacted well to thwart Higgs, who had latched onto a lovely through ball from Korban McMullan.

Fulham, who had been far too passive up until the interval, sped through the gears in the second half. Gordon drew the hosts level after excellent approach play from Delano McCoy-Splatt and the momentum was suddenly with the young Whites. Melloul's men were grateful for two superb saves from Allan – who denied McMullan first, for pulling off a wondersave to prevent Oyekunle from scoring inside the six-yard box.

Ealing-born winger Gordon turned provider here teeing up McCoy-Splatt, who squeezed a shot on the stretch between the goalkeeper and the near post. That gave Fulham the ability to cut loose in the final quarter of the contest and Melloul's side didn't disappoint. Gordon completed his treble with a terrific curling finish after cutting in from the left flank before full-back Brad de Jesus headed in from McCoy-Splatt's corner at the death.

FULHAM UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Allen; de Jesus, Nwoko, Amissah, Park; Gofford, Quashie (King 45); Works (Osmand 45), McCoy-Splatt, Gordon. Subs (not used): Kaiser, Wingate, Bogle-Campbell.

GOALS: Gordon (22, 48, 82), McCoy-Splatt (68), de Jesus (90).

SOUTHAMPTON UNDER 21s (4-2-3-1): Jefferies; Trago, Sheaf, Edmondson, Dobson-Ventura (Fry 72); Miles (Martin 84), Hartness; Oyekunle, Bailey (Gomes 45), McMullan (Gathercole 84); Higgs. Subs (not used): Upstell.

GOALS: Oyekunle (3), Higgs (pen 38).

REFEREE: Daniel D'Urso.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/03/gordon-hat-trick-fires-five-star-fulham-u18s-past-saints/

WhiteJC

Shane Duffy set to be left out of next Ireland squad as he struggles for gametime
Centre back cannot penetrate Marco Silva's starting XI as Kenny looks to other options

The Shane Duffy trail has run cold. A stalwart for the Republic of Ireland during Stephen Kenny's ropey two-year rebuilding process, the 31-year-old is set to be excluded from the senior squad ahead of the European Championships qualification campaign.

Ireland face Latvia in a friendly at the Aviva Stadium on March 22nd, five days before Didier Deschamps stellar French outfit visit Dublin for the first Euros tie.

Duffy already missed out on the November squad, citing personal reasons, but his undulating club career appeared to find terra firma when a loan spell at Fulham was made permanent in January.

However, the big Derry centre half cannot penetrate Marco Silva's starting XI at Craven Cottage.

"My take on it is this," said Kenny. "At the time [signing for Fulham], on paper he was delighted with the move. They had two center backs, Tosin [Adarabioyo] and [Tim] Ream, who had been in the Championship, who were not proven Premier League players.

"Shane was coming from a situation at Brighton where [Adam] Webster and [Lewis] Dunk were excellent. It was hard to get in there. They paid £20m for Webster. Dunk was club captain and had done brilliantly. He had been Dunk's partner for years, then they bought Webster and he was struggling to play. They had other players as well.

"He went to Fulham and he's thinking, 'Right they've two defenders who played in the Championship; they're going to start. They're unproven at this level. I'll take my chance. With an injury, I'll get a chance.' The following week, they signed [Issa] Diop from West Ham for £13m. That meant he was one of four.

"I went to see him play against Crawley in the Carabao Cup [last August]. They were beaten [2-0]. It wasn't good. There was talk of a move at Christmas. Fulham had paid a loan fee to Brighton for him. It probably covered his wages. Another club would have to go and negotiate that with Brighton. He found himself in a bit of a quandary.

"He played in the FA Cup against Sunderland [in February], his first proper game of the year. Didn't play against Leeds the other night. It's been far from ideal for Shane."

Nathan Collins has also struggled for minutes in the Premier League under new Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Julen Lopetegui, missing out to Craig Dawson in the last five matches, but Kenny retains full confidence in the 21-year-old.

"We didn't envisage Evan Ferguson coming on so quickly but neither did we envisage Nathan not playing after emerging so quickly. Things are sometimes unpredictable because in my opinion Nathan has played well but has found himself out of the team. He's been excellent for us and has played a lot of games this year."

Kenny has strong centre-back options to start against France, in Collins, John Egan, Dara O'Shea and Andrew Omobamidele, which leaves Duffy at risk of being overlooked entirely, especially if Seámus Coleman and Darragh Lenihan, who both play regularly at Everton and Middlesbrough, are deemed sufficient cover.

When asked directly about calling Duffy into the next Irish squad, Kenny replied: "I've a lot to consider. A lot to consider."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/03/05/shane-duffy-set-to-be-left-out-of-next-ireland-squad-as-he-struggles-for-gametime/

WhiteJC

Spanish giants join Arsenal in race to sign Fulham loanee

Manor Solomon is finally coming to life in the Premier League and has scored some superb goals in recent weeks for Fulham.

The Israeli footballer is only on loan at the London club from Shakhtar Donetsk and might not return to the Ukrainian side at the end of this season.

This is because several clubs have watched him and at least one top European side could swoop in to add him to their squad.

Arsenal wishes to be the suitor that wins the race for his signature, but the Gunners are not alone, with Fichajes.net revealing Barcelona also wants him.

The Catalans believe he has the quality to make a contribution to their club and might push to add him to the squad in the summer.

Just Arsenal Opinion
Solomon has burst into life in recent weeks and is now showing why several clubs wanted him before he joined the Ukrainian side.

If he stays consistent for the remaining weeks of the season, we probably should make him our next winger.

At Arsenal, he will face competition for a playing spot from top players, but if he believes in himself, that challenge should not scare him as long as he feels he can do well at the Emirates.

https://www.justarsenal.com/spanish-giants-join-arsenal-in-race-to-sign-fulham-loanee/333545