watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 08/03/23...

Started by WhiteJC, March 08, 2023, 12:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy insists Ivan Toney should have been SENT OFF before scoring his penalty against Fulham... urging that the Brentford hitman 'knew exactly what he was doing' by catching Sasa Lukic in the face

Ivan Toney helped Brentford edge out a 3-2 win against Fulham on Monday night
    Danny Murphy thinks he should not have been on the pitch to score his penalty
    The Bees star caught Sasa Lukic in the face with his studs but avoided a red card

Brentford striker Ivan Toney should not have been on the pitch to score his penalty against Fulham on Monday night, insists Danny Murphy.

Toney's spot-kick helped the high-flying Bees edge out a narrow 3-2 win against Marco Silva's side in west London, taking Brentford level on points with Brighton in the Premier League table.

In what emerged an entertaining contest between two in-form outfits, Fulham forward Manor Solomon cancelled out Ethan Pinnock's early strike for the hosts, before Toney, Mathias Jensen helped the hosts pull away in the second half before Carlos Vinicius's late consolation.

Toney, who Sportsmail revealed last month could be set for a lengthy ban after pleading guilty to FA rules breaches, nearly picked up a suspension against the Cottagers for his challenge on Sasa Lukic.

The Brentford forward caught Lukic in the face with his studs during a tackle, although VAR decided not to issue a red card upon review.

Danny Murphy is adamant Ivan Toney should have been sent off for his challenge on Sasa Lukic

Toney caught the Serbian in the face with his studs during Brentford's 3-2 win against Fulham

Murphy could not believe Toney had escaped a red card, insisting the striker 'knew what he was doing' by leaving some on the Serbian.

'He knew what he was doing there,' Murphy insisted whilst on commentary duty for talkSPORT.

'It's a sending off, he knows what he's doing. That's how I used to tackle myself, you go over the top with your straight leg and you leave it there.

'Trust me I've played the game long enough, it's a red card. They won't give it because they won't understand. I know what he's doing.'

The former Premier League star went on to explain what he used to do whilst making those sorts of challenges during his playing career.

'Toney, I love him, he's great but that's a red card,' Murphy added.

Danny Murphy, who was on commentary duty with talkSPORT, insisted that it was a red card

'The way you get away with saying, "I'm not trying to hurt an opponent" is you always say the same line, "I'm trying to protect myself".

'The reason I'm adamant is because that is exactly how I used to tackle. You come in and once you miss the ball you leave your leg straight, so whatever hits your leg after it's gone straight is going to come off worse than yourself.

'The cut on the cheek isn't the problem because you can accidentally put your stud on someone's face, but when you go through the ball and you have a straight leg... it's a red card all day, every day and twice on Sundays.

'They [VAR] will have checked it but interpreted as an accident.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11829677/Danny-Murphy-insists-Ivan-Toney-SENT-scoring-penalty-against-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Bernd Leno now says Arsenal sold him far too cheaply last year, he went for just £3m

Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno has now claimed that he was sold far too cheaply by Arsenal last summer.

The German goalkeeper spoke to the Evening Standard about his exit from The Emirates.

Bernd Leno was first-choice at Arsenal for his first three seasons at the club after signing from Bayer Leverkusen.

However, the arrival of Aaron Ramsdale from Sheffield United at the start of the last season saw him fighting for the number one jersey.

The England international quickly jumped above Leno in the pecking order after a very tough start to the season.

Ramsdale started every game for the rest of the season, leaving Leno to sit on the bench and play in the cup competitions.

On their return to the Premier League, Fulham spotted an opportunity to sign Leno from Arsenal.

After weeks of negotiations, the 31-year-old eventually made the move across London for £3m.

Now, Leno believes he was worth a lot more than that, and think his new club got a bargain.

Fulham star Leno claims Arsenal sold him too cheaply
Speaking to the Evening Standard about his Arsenal exit, Leno said: "I have to say it's a bargain.

"It's very, very cheap, especially in the Premier League.

"I am not £3m — I'm probably worth a little bit more. Otherwise I would be a very bad player!"

The fee could eventually rise to £8m if Leno and Fulham meet a number of targets, which still constitutes great value.

Leno has been absolutely sensational since his arrival at Craven Cottage.

He's helped Fulham defy all expectations as they comfortably sit in the top half of the Premier League.

Although European football seems unlikely, Leno is hoping his form at Fulham will help him earn a place in the Germany squad.

"I didn't go to the World Cup because I didn't play at Arsenal and then the World Cup was in November," Leno said.

"I can accept that. But, hopefully, in March, in the summer, or maybe next season, I can go back. That is a target for me."

Arsenal won't be too upset to have lost Leno to Fulham due to how well Ramsdale is playing right now.

But the German has certainly proved he's more than good enough to still be playing in the Premier League.

https://tbrfootball.com/bernd-leno-now-says-arsenal-sold-him-far-too-cheaply-last-year-he-went-for-just-3m/

WhiteJC

'I still have a connection to the club': Bernd Leno insists there is no 'bad energy' with Arsenal despite Aaron Ramsdale taking his No 1 spot before summer move to Fulham... and insists his former side CAN beat Man City to the title

Bernd Leno spent four years with Arsenal and won the FA Cup with them in 2020
    The German goalkeeper has kept seven clean sheets for seventh-placed Fulham
    Re-live the action as Fulham fall to a 3-2 defeat to west London rivals Brentford

Bernd Leno insisted that he bore no ill will to former club Arsenal after his summer departure for London rivals Fulham, after his position between the sticks was usurped by Aaron Ramsdale.

The German goalkeeper admitted that there was no 'bad energy' with the Gunners, having left the Emirates after four years in 2022 to join the Cottagers.

Leno played 125 games for Arsenal following his 2018 arrival, but found game time hard to come by with the emergence of Ramsdale after a £30million switch from Sheffield United.

But the 31-year-old has since gone on to thrive for Fulham, keeping seven clean sheets in the Premier League in their unlikely rise to the European places in 2022-23 under Marco Silva.

And although he did not have the 'perfect' departure from the Emirates, Leno admitted that he still has a connection with the club - even if he feels that he 'did nothing wrong' before being dropped for Ramsdale.

Bernd Leno has undergone a resurgence between the sticks for Fulham after his summer move

I don't have toxic [feelings] or bad energy for Arsenal,' he told the Evening Standard.

'It didn't end in the perfect way, but my reception at the Emirates was really good. I get fans coming up to me saying, "thank you for your four years... you were very good."

'I was really happy with my performances. Even when they dropped me, I did nothing wrong. I came through the front door and I left through the front door. I still have a connection to the club.'

Leno came into an Arsenal side in desperate need of a goalkeeper with Petr Cech reaching the end of his long and fabled career, and was initially a hit with the Gunners fanbase.

And his stock continued to rise with consistently improved performances at the Emirates, keeping seven, eight and 11 clean sheets in his first three seasons respectively.

In the 2021-22 season he made only eight appearances in all competitions, but he showed the extent of his connection with his former club in backing them to win out in the title race up against Manchester City, adding: 'I hope they do it, I think they can.'

Leno was one of a number of signings for Fulham ahead of the 2022-23 season, with the west London side keen to avoid a repeat of their previous three stints in the top-flight, in which they finished 18th, 19th and 19th.

Along with Joao Palhinha, Andreas Pereira, Willian and Manor Solomon, Leno has been key in Fulham's improvement, and the German admitted that the absence of pressure has been vital to their resurgence.

'We were all good additions, but we are not the spine of the team — the energy was already there before.

'My form is the same as the team's: pretty good. Most of the games at the beginning, you have the feeling you are the underdog. At Arsenal it was a little different, because you always had to win and there was a lot of pressure.

'This season, we gave everything back to the fans. The expectations were different but now the fans dream, it's growing. I feel at home here.'

With a 3-2 defeat to Brentford coming on Monday in a west London derby, Fulham now sit six points from the Champions League - and 17 points from the bottom three - with an FA Cup quarter-final clash with Manchester United later in March.

And with the club still capable of improving on their fortunes in what has already been a hugely successful campaign, Leno is now targeting a return to the international set up with his country.

The 31-year-old has won nine caps for Germany, but has been out of contention since 2021, after his minutes dried up at Arsenal.

'I didn't go to the World Cup because I didn't play at Arsenal and then the World Cup was in November,' he said.

'I can accept that. But, hopefully, in March, in the summer, or maybe next season, I can go back. That is a target for me.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11829503/Bernd-Leno-claims-no-bad-energy-Arsenal-despite-Aaron-Ramsdale-taking-No-1-spot.html

WhiteJC

'Flying': Sutton impressed by winger amid Arsenal and Tottenham interest

Chris Sutton has praised reported Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur target and Fulham winger Manor Solomon on BBC Radio 5 Live (8:39pm, March 6, 2023).

The former Chelsea striker has been impressed by Solomon, who has been linked with Mikel Arteta's Arsenal and Antonio Conte's Tottenham Hotspur.

The winger has been in great form for Fulham in recent weeks.

The 23-year-old, who can also operate as an attacking midfielder, joined Fulham on loan from Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk in the summer of 2023.

Solomon has made one start and seven substitute appearances in the Premier League for the Cottagers so far this season.

The Israel international winger has scored four goals in those matches.

Solomon was on target for Fulham against Brentford in the Premier League on Monday evening.

The winger found the back of the net in the 39th minute.

According to a report in Ynet last month, Arsenal and Tottenham are closely following the youngster with a view to a move in the summer transfer window.

he report added that the winger himself is keen on making his loan deal at Fulham permanent.

Chris Sutton on Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur target Manor Solomon
Sutton said about Solomon: "Yeah, I mean, he is absolutely flying."

The pundit added: "Solomon, another good piece of business from Marco Silva."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/07/flying-sutton-impressed-by-winger-amid-arsenal-and-tottenham-interest/

WhiteJC

PFA Nomination For Manor & Kenny

Manor Solomon and Kenny Tete have been nominated for the PFA Vertu Motors Fans' Player of the Month award.

Tete began February with a performance for the ages at Stamford Bridge, shackling whichever left-winger Chelsea put him up against, to help us to a goalless draw.

That was the first of three clean sheets Tete contributed to throughout the month, with one Wolverhampton Wanderers goal the only time we were breached in February.

It will be a month that lives long in Solomon's memory, too, as he scored in three consecutive Premier League matches as Fulham took seven points from our meetings with Nottingham Forest, Brighton and Wolves.

You can vote for one of the Fulham boys now, with their competition coming from Bukayo Saka, Ollie Watkins, James Maddison and Marcus Rashford.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/march/07/pfa-nomination-for-manor-and-kenny/

WhiteJC

Manchester United: Emirates FA Cup Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's Emirates FA Cup Quarter-Final fixture against Manchester United go on sale from Wednesday 8th March, 10am.

Following Fulham's 2-0 win over Leeds United at Craven Cottage last month, Fulham will make the journey to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United on Sunday 19th March, kick-off 4.30pm.

Tickets for this fixture will go on sale, periodically based on loyalty points, to 2022/23 Season Ticket Holders from Wednesday 8th March, 10am. Tickets will then be released to 2022/23 Members on Monday 13th March, 10am, before being released to Supporters with Previous Booking History on Tuesday 14th March, 10am.

BUY TICKETS
Tickets for this fixture are priced as below:

AGE CATEGORY      E230 TO E232 PRICE (1893 TICKETS)      E233 PRICE (610 TICKETS)      SS29 PRICE (591 TICKETS)
Adults      £46      £45      £55
Over 65s      £27      £26.50      £28
18-20      £36.50      £25.75      £43.25
16-17      £27      £26.50      £28
Under 16s      £13      £13      £13

Fans will be able to secure their seats online at tickets.fulhamfc.com or by calling the Fulham FC Ticket Office on 0203 871 0810.

Please note, supporters will need to ensure they are logged in to their OneFulham Account and have linked their ticketing account in order to purchase online. For more information on the OneFulham Account, please click here.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/march/07/manchester-united-emirates-fa-cup-tickets/

WhiteJC

Potential boost for Cobblers as Fulham loanee closes in on return to fitness

Ryan Haynes is also back in the frame after nearly three months out

After the blow of losing Ali Koiki for the rest of the season, there was at least some good news on the injury front for manager Jon Brady with young attacker Kieron Bowie potentially in line for a return at the weekend.

The 20-year-old forward, who is on loan from Premier League Fulham, has been out for six weeks with injury after an 'innocuous' incident in training shortly before Northampton's 2-0 win at Barrow in late January.

Bowie was initially ruled out for two months but is ahead of schedule and could make the squad when Cobblers head all the way up to Hartlepool United this weekend.

"I think Kieron is the main one," said Brady when asked if any players are close to returning. "He had a couple of days on the grass last week and we are hoping that he has a good week on the grass this week and all being well, he could be in contention for the weekend."

Akin Odimayo, Shaun McWilliams, Josh Harrop and Danny Hylton remain out, while Ben Fox, Tyler Magloire and Ali Koiki will not play again this season.

With Aaron McGowan potentially suspended, Ryan Haynes may have to start in Koiki's absence at Hartlepool. The left-back has not started a game since November due to injury but did come on during Saturday's win over Crawley.

"We just have to build Ryan up," added Brady. "He did well when he came on and we are going to need every player over these last 12 games.

"Ryan's already had a good impact this season, scoring the winner against Colchester, but I didn't feel he was in a position to come on earlier at the weekend because he's been out for so long.

"Balance-wise, it would have been really good to put him on when Ali came off but he's been out for two and a half, three months and I didn't think he was quite ready to come on at that stage and it would have been too much for him.

"But he came on and played 25 minutes and that was a real positive for him and for us."

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/potential-boost-for-cobblers-as-fulham-loanee-closes-in-on-return-to-fitness-4054192

WhiteJC

'Unbelievable': Ian Wright makes claim about Fulham's Willian after Arsenal exit

Ian Wright says he thought 'it was over' for Willian when he left Arsenal in 2021, but he is now surprised at the ex-Chelsea man's turnaround.

The 34-year-old is donning the colours of European-chasing Fulham and Wright added that Marco Silva is getting an 'unbelievable tune' out of the speedster.

After leaving Arsenal during the summer of 2021, when Mikel Arteta and Edu Gaspar agreed to rip up the player's contract, he headed back to his homeland.

That's where Willian joined Corinthians, and just like his spell at the Emirates, this was also proving to be a nightmare move.

Given that the 70-cap international was in his mid-30s, it could have been argued that he was just coming to the end of his career and retirement was on the cards.

But that's when former Everton boss Marco Silva, after helping Fulham earn promotion, came swooping in and, as Wright mentioned, he is doing a fantastic job and Willian is proof of that, as he told Premier League Productions (06/03/23 at 7:35 pm).

"I think if you look at Fulham's team," said Wright. "With him (Marco Silva) now, maybe with a point to prove, especially with what happened to him at Everton. He went there in a blaze of glory.

"You look at Antonee Robinson on the left. He's a very good player. Then there is Palhinha. He is getting an unbelievable tune out of Willian, who I thought it was over for when he left Arsenal."

WILLIAN STILL SHOWING HE HAS LIFE
This is huge credit to Willian for picking himself up from the canvas because his last two spells were serious knockout blows.

And he didn't just join a thriving team where he can jump on the bandwagon. But a newly-promoted side that have seriously struggled the last two occasions they have been in the Premier League.

Willian has three goals and three assists to his name this season, including scoring against Chelsea, as Fulham currently occupy a European place.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/07/unbelievable-ian-wright-makes-claim-about-fulhams-willian-after-arsenal-exit/

filham

With regards to that nasty foul by Toney, wasn't there a case a few seasons ago of a retrospective ban being given to a player based in TV evidence.

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on March 08, 2023, 11:28:29 AM
With regards to that nasty foul by Toney, wasn't there a case a few seasons ago of a retrospective ban being given to a player based in TV evidence.

We had our own case with Mitro in the Parker promotion season. He got a suspension after the Leeds game. Quite rightly so, as well. I think there is close to a zero percent chance of that happening to that lovely and misunderstood fella Toney though.