more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Antonee Robinson's crossing

Started by SerbianLad, March 09, 2023, 09:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_FC/status/1633865728817532929

Robinson has been excellent this season, very dependable in defence and helps out in attack a lot too. This stat, however, once again shows something that we all know, he gets in excellent positions but his final ball is pretty much always very very poor. If he could improve that he'd be a top 3 leftback in the league at the very least, if not even better. Surely that's something that can be coached?

Also, on a different note, I hope he extends his contract as I doubt we can get a better lb than him.

ffcthereligion

I would be very very surprised if he is here next season. Agreed he's as good as we can get, and IMO would be borderline world class if he could cross.

perry geyton

His crossings always been dodgy, against Brentford he was crossing em when there was know one in the box to get on the receiving end, he also sometimes runs so fast he stubs his toes and trips over

Still with all his imperfections I'm still more then happy he plays for us

filham

Quote from: ffcthereligion on March 09, 2023, 09:59:09 PM
I would be very very surprised if he is here next season. Agreed he's as good as we can get, and IMO would be borderline world class if he could cross.
He could be the first Fulham player to follow Siva to Spurs.

Sting of the North

Robinson is to me such an incredibly frustrating player because of the vast difference between his good and bad qualities. So, so many times he gets himself into good positions and either send in a really poor cross, or misplaces a simple pass. His stamina and willingness to join attacks still benefits us overall, but if he could improve to be at least decent with the ball in the final third it would make him such a threat.

Previously I had the same kind of reservations about his defending, but positionally I believe he has improved a lot over the last year or so. Silva's coaching and Ream being ever present seem to have helped him a lot. Coupled with his pace and intensity I now consider him being among the better PL left backs defensively. 

simplyfulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 10, 2023, 11:02:00 AM
Robinson is to me such an incredibly frustrating player because of the vast difference between his good and bad qualities. So, so many times he gets himself into good positions and either send in a really poor cross, or misplaces a simple pass. His stamina and willingness to join attacks still benefits us overall, but if he could improve to be at least decent with the ball in the final third it would make him such a threat.

Previously I had the same kind of reservations about his defending, but positionally I believe he has improved a lot over the last year or so. Silva's coaching and Ream being ever present seem to have helped him a lot. Coupled with his pace and intensity I now consider him being among the better PL left backs defensively.

Very much into 'Nail on Head' territory here.

He has come on leaps and bounds this year and so credit to him.

Bill2

He is a quality modern LB which is why a number of major clubs are casting an eye over him, be prepared to see him go in the Summer. No matter how good a crosser of the ball if you have no one in the box you will never create a goal and on occasions this is the case.
I will be taking a good look at him on Sunday to see if his crossing is as bad as a number on here say, I don't think it is. These days a modern full back is used in a more attacking role than a defensive one but while he is not as good as Kenny T he is still better than the majority.

Sammyffc

Quote from: Bill2 on March 10, 2023, 12:16:11 PM

He is a quality modern LB which is why a number of major clubs are casting an eye over him, be prepared to see him go in the Summer. No matter how good a crosser of the ball if you have no one in the box you will never create a goal and on occasions this is the case.
I will be taking a good look at him on Sunday to see if his crossing is as bad as a number on here say, I don't think it is. These days a modern full back is used in a more attacking role than a defensive one but while he is not as good as Kenny T he is still better than the majority.

Im surprised you don't have an opinion on his crossing yet, the majority have been talking about how poor it is for the last 2 years. Then again, if he could cross like tete he would be a world class fullback, however he can't and isn't. Guess that means he fits us?

BarryP

For what it's worth, per Cottage Analytica, Robinson has the third highest success rate for crosses into the box in the league.

?s=46&t=Y-GWx6DL3ZfZYiIKODjeeg
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: BarryP on March 11, 2023, 01:38:52 AM
For what it's worth, per Cottage Analytica, Robinson has the third highest success rate for crosses into the box in the league.

But is this really the success RATE or just the total number of successful crosses? I ask because I've watched nearly every game this season and I still think most of his crosses end up nowhere.

Also, what is the criteria for successfull crosses? What if the cross finds a Fulham player at an awkvard angle/speed or slightly too far behind or too far in front of the player to get proper control of the ball? This has been a problem with Robinson's crosses and I'm guessing this type of crosses will be registered as successful. The problem with Robinson's crosses isn't just about finding a Fulham player but the QUALITY of the crosses that actually do. Only one assist from such a high number of 'successful' crosses says it all.

It's extremely frustrating because in many ways he is an excellent LB but whenever he brings the ball forward it ends with a loss of possession far too often.

filham

Quote from: Bill2 on March 10, 2023, 12:16:11 PM

Agree with all of the above but am aware that a  Brentford player went outside of him and showed him a clean pair of heals in the build up to one of their goals in our last match. That surprised me.

copthornemike

Robinson is at his best when driving into the penalty area, defenders are reluctant to tackle him when he is moving at pace.
In contrast when he is crossing wide from outside the area it always looks a bit hit and hope to me personally.
Mind you the game always looks easier from the stands or armchair.

BarryP

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on March 11, 2023, 09:47:41 AM
Quote from: BarryP on March 11, 2023, 01:38:52 AM

But is this really the success RATE or just the total number of successful crosses? I ask because I've watched nearly every game this season and I still think most of his crosses end up nowhere.

Also, what is the criteria for successfull crosses? What if the cross finds a Fulham player at an awkvard angle/speed or slightly too far behind or too far in front of the player to get proper control of the ball? This has been a problem with Robinson's crosses and I'm guessing this type of crosses will be registered as successful. The problem with Robinson's crosses isn't just about finding a Fulham player but the QUALITY of the crosses that actually do. Only one assist from such a high number of 'successful' crosses says it all.

It's extremely frustrating because in many ways he is an excellent LB but whenever he brings the ball forward it ends with a loss of possession far too often.

I think the criteria was successfully finding a teammate but I'm not positive. My personal observation is when Robinson hits it across the box on the ground he is far more successful than when he crosses it in the air.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Luka

I hope today puts an end to any discussion about Robinsons quality.
Gave the ball away 7 times in the first 5 mins or so,
Very lucky not to have an OG against his name.
Didn't challenge for the second allowing an easy finish.
Clueless defending for the third.
Unfortunately, and as with many positions in our wafer thin squad,we have no credible alternative.
He is another AK47, a fine athlete but no footballer, and at this level you need to be both.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Luka on March 12, 2023, 04:53:28 PM
I hope today puts an end to any discussion about Robinsons quality.
Gave the ball away 7 times in the first 5 mins or so,
Very lucky not to have an OG against his name.
Didn't challenge for the second allowing an easy finish.
Clueless defending for the third.
Unfortunately, and as with many positions in our wafer thin squad,we have no credible alternative.
He is another AK47, a fine athlete but no footballer, and at this level we need both.
He was very poor today, easily our worst player, but I still think he's about the best we can get. He needs to work on his crossing and he must stay concentrated for full 90 minutes, but I'm sure he has the ability to become a top class player.

perry geyton

That goal was pathetic
He didn't even try and head it

SerbianLad

Quote from: perry geyton on March 12, 2023, 05:12:15 PM
That goal was pathetic
He didn't even try and head it
He was at fault for two of the three goals. Tete was very poor in the first half too and both of them have been very good this season so I'm sure this is just a blip.

S.F.Sorrow

He was the worst player on the pitch today. He's normally pretty solid defensively but he was completely out of his depth today. Defensively I would say he's a decent mid-table Premier League LB (which is quite good to be fair) but all the talk about top clubs wanting to sign him must be tabloid rumours.

The attacking part of his game has always been poor. He flatters to deceive with his athleticism, pace and ability to get into good positions but this isn't worth much when his passing and crossing is so poor. We usually end up losing position unless he can play a short pass to a more technically gifted player like Willian. His end product has always been severely lacking for a LB at this level.

Personally I've always found Robinson to be overrated on this forum. He's a decent player but his weaknesses were apparent even in the Championship. If he's still a regular starter for us next season I won't complain, we could do a lot worse, but if we have ambitions about Europe we'll probably need an upgrade at LB.

Bassey the warrior

He should train on crossing with Tete, who has a great technique and could teach him a thing or two.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on March 12, 2023, 05:43:31 PM
He should train on crossing with Tete, who has a great technique and could teach him a thing or two.
Or Kurzawa, if he gets fit. Cedric too.
Robinson manages to get into best crossing positions because of his pace, but unfotunately he is also our worst crosser. I find it very weird that he still hasn't managed to improve that part of his game as that's one of the easiest things you can learn in football.