watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for Arsenal and thoughts on how Fulham are playing

Started by love4ffc, March 10, 2023, 12:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

This is a long post but I wanted to pull several things into one post that I have been reading online and listening to from one of the Fulham pods. 

These are things that Fulham are currently dealing with and really need to address for the next match against Arsenal. 

• Since the world cup we have set up to be a hard to beat team rather than a more attacking team.  Because of this setup we are more slow in our build up and not creating as many chances, i.e. crosses into the box.  That means that Mitro is not getting the service he needs up top which is why he drops deep to get involved. 

• Pereira has been playing continuously since the summer.  That is why he started the season so well and hit the ground running.  Now though all this continuous play has caught up with him and it is affecting not only how Mitro is playing but the creativity of the team.

• A big problem for Fulham, especially with Tom being out hurt, is that there really isn't a like for like player to take Pereira's spot.

• Fulham's set up and style of play was very evident in the game against Brentford.  For Brentford the most played pass was from David Raya to Ivan Toney.  Played nine times during the game.  Fulham's top three most played passes were from Leno to Ream, Ream to Robinson and Robinson to Solomon.  That shows that Brentford played more aggressively and more directly whereas Fulham played with less passes and with a slower build up.

• The other obvious problem that everyone is well aware of is Fulham missing Palhinha and how he controls the midfield.  It was obvious Reid and Lukic were unable to match what Palhinha and Reid have been able to do when they play together.  That is not to knock Lukic but it is a visible difference.   

• While it was great to have Solomon start it did not seem to work with Willian playing on the right.  It seemed that Willian needed to take an extra touch or two in order to create anything on the right.  It seems that Willian plays better on the left.

So, with the above thoughts and statements in mind I don't think there is a whole lot Marco can do to change the starting lineup for Arsenal.  I think Marco must keep the combo of Reid and Lukic.  I also think that either Solomon or Willian must start on the left with the other coming on in the 65 minute or so to replace the other.  This will allow for fresh legs and help with cover for Robinson. 

Bobby Reed needs to start on the right.  He hasn't been playing at his best, but I do think it works better then Willian playing there. 

I'd like to see either Harry Wilson or perhaps even Dan James come on in the 65 minute or there abouts.  It might be good to have James come on instead of Wilson so that we there is a bit of speed up top to run at and hopefully confuse the defense.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Carlos coming on at some point to take the place of Pereira.  I would mind a shift in formation to more of a 4-4-2 in which Carlos and Mitro play off each other and hopefully create more chances.

The three main takeaways from the Brentford game I think are that the players need to take more shots on goal to help with creating more chances for other players to crash the box, that it seems slim pickings for subs on the bench and absolutely no more mint green kit! 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

hovewhite

Quote from: love4ffc on March 10, 2023, 12:37:10 AM
This is a long post but I wanted to pull several things into one post that I have been reading online and listening to from one of the Fulham pods. 

These are things that Fulham are currently dealing with and really need to address for the next match against Arsenal. 

• Since the world cup we have set up to be a hard to beat team rather than a more attacking team.  Because of this setup we are more slow in our build up and not creating as many chances, i.e. crosses into the box.  That means that Mitro is not getting the service he needs up top which is why he drops deep to get involved. 

• Pereira has been playing continuously since the summer.  That is why he started the season so well and hit the ground running.  Now though all this continuous play has caught up with him and it is affecting not only how Mitro is playing but the creativity of the team.

• A big problem for Fulham, especially with Tom being out hurt, is that there really isn't a like for like player to take Pereira's spot.

• Fulham's set up and style of play was very evident in the game against Brentford.  For Brentford the most played pass was from David Raya to Ivan Toney.  Played nine times during the game.  Fulham's top three most played passes were from Leno to Ream, Ream to Robinson and Robinson to Solomon.  That shows that Brentford played more aggressively and more directly whereas Fulham played with less passes and with a slower build up.

• The other obvious problem that everyone is well aware of is Fulham missing Palhinha and how he controls the midfield.  It was obvious Reid and Lukic were unable to match what Palhinha and Reid have been able to do when they play together.  That is not to knock Lukic but it is a visible difference.   

• While it was great to have Solomon start it did not seem to work with Willian playing on the right.  It seemed that Willian needed to take an extra touch or two in order to create anything on the right.  It seems that Willian plays better on the left.

So, with the above thoughts and statements in mind I don't think there is a whole lot Marco can do to change the starting lineup for Arsenal.  I think Marco must keep the combo of Reid and Lukic.  I also think that either Solomon or Willian must start on the left with the other coming on in the 65 minute or so to replace the other.  This will allow for fresh legs and help with cover for Robinson. 

Bobby Reed needs to start on the right.  He hasn't been playing at his best, but I do think it works better then Willian playing there. 

I'd like to see either Harry Wilson or perhaps even Dan James come on in the 65 minute or there abouts.  It might be good to have James come on instead of Wilson so that we there is a bit of speed up top to run at and hopefully confuse the defense.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Carlos coming on at some point to take the place of Pereira.  I would mind a shift in formation to more of a 4-4-2 in which Carlos and Mitro play off each other and hopefully create more chances.

The three main takeaways from the Brentford game I think are that the players need to take more shots on goal to help with creating more chances for other players to crash the box, that it seems slim pickings for subs on the bench and absolutely no more mint green kit! 

that looks a better balanced team and I'd go for that 11.

filham

Very good OP.
Think I would go for that team, starting line up is good although it may be better to start with Willian and use Solomon as the impact sub on 60 minutes.
Also be prepared to substitute Mitro on 60 minutes if he is not showing form.

ffcthereligion

Agreed on all fronts. The only thing i wonder is if Solomon should be reserved for changing the game off the bench. I think he would have greater impact than Willian off bench

RAY Rock ????

We need to totally mix things up too many players have been poor the last 4 games . Wilson , Robinson, Andreas, Mitro . If we play like we have been Arsenal will have a field day with there one and two touch play . They will open us up regularly.

Sting of the North

Quote from: RAY Rock ???? on March 10, 2023, 02:07:44 PM
We need to totally mix things up too many players have been poor the last 4 games . Wilson , Robinson, Andreas, Mitro . If we play like we have been Arsenal will have a field day with there one and two touch play . They will open us up regularly.

Do you have any sort of suggestions to go with your criticism? What does "totally mix things up" even mean? And why do you believe it would benefit us?

love4ffc

I personally don't want to drastically mix things up with how we play or the starting XI.  I can see starting Willian over Solomon and letting Solomon come on more as an impact sub.  No matter who starts though I would like to see earlier changes so the player has some time to make that impact. 

If anyone noticed on my subs list I ran out of ideas of who to have on the bench due to injuries.  Guessing that is why we had two goalies on the bench for Brentford. 

Also, I know that it has been a long and weird season so far with the world cup and all.  I also know that Pereira has been playing continuously since last summer.  Still, I would love to see some of that intensity that Fulham started the season with.   

Luka

I'd go a nice 442.
Replace Periera with either Vinnie or BDR.
Seriously, when has anyone in the Prem played 442 lately ?
Might just confuse the opposition lol.

love4ffc

Quote from: Luka on March 10, 2023, 06:48:31 PM
I'd go a nice 442.
Replace Periera with either Vinnie or BDR.
Seriously, when has anyone in the Prem played 442 lately ?
Might just confuse the opposition lol.
True very true.  I also would rather play a 442 than any of that diamond formation in the middle crap. 

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Good thread.
Thinking outside the box.
May I suggest that if Mitro is not on form that we replace him with Duffy
who can certainly roughen up their defenders? and head the ball.
That way we can still get crosses in and hopefully the rest of the team can
feed of the chaos he should create, and Arsenal would not be prepared for it.
SSSShhhh

I know I'm crazy, but   ???
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

..FOF..

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on March 10, 2023, 11:17:29 PM
Good thread.
Thinking outside the box.
May I suggest that if Mitro is not on form that we replace him with Duffy
who can certainly roughen up their defenders? and head the ball.
That way we can still get crosses in and hopefully the rest of the team can
feed of the chaos he should create, and Arsenal would not be prepared for it.
SSSShhhh

I know I'm crazy, but   ???

I was just thinking the same thing.

Mitro needs to be used differently. I think most EPL defenders are up to speed to the way he plays.

Since Vinicius is starting to find his scoring boots, maybe both of them can rotate to start and also subbed in earlier if on the bench.

St Eve

LittleErn

I wonder if Soloman could play more centrally - perhaps as a sub for Pereira later in the game?

love4ffc

Quote from: LittleErn on March 11, 2023, 03:57:32 PM
I wonder if Soloman could play more centrally - perhaps as a sub for Pereira later in the game?
I have wondered about this also.  It might give him more space and allow him to create more chances for others.  Especially in the box. 

hovewhite

Solomon play centrally I think he would do very well also seems to have a great balance and is tough to shake off the ball,also seems to be a great finisher .

OZ-WHITE

Other option is 4-1-3-2 with Vinicius and Solomon up front and bring on Mitro after 60min and switch back to 4-2-3-1
If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin

alfie

I think the club need to be a bit careful with Solomon, if he continues to be selected as a sub then he may decide to question his value here. His Donetsk contract is up soon and there will be a lot of club's interested in him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

Quote from: alfie on March 12, 2023, 09:19:58 AM
I think the club need to be a bit careful with Solomon, if he continues to be selected as a sub then he may decide to question his value here. His Donetsk contract is up soon and there will be a lot of club's interested in him.

Is it because of full match fitness, though.

filham

I like the sound of 4-4 2 for 45 minutes and then at half time switching back to our usual line up, Arsenal wouldn't know where they were until their half time briefing and that would be wasted when we again changed formation.
We have to try something different today.

alfie

Quote from: RaySmith on March 12, 2023, 10:20:10 AM
Quote from: alfie on March 12, 2023, 09:19:58 AM

Is it because of full match fitness, though.
I hope so, I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't