Pick your option

Yes to a NFR Forum
30 (36.6%)
No to a NFR Forum
52 (63.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: March 14, 2023, 12:49:05 PM

FFC1987

I can't help but be cynical and feel like it would just be a place to go an argue. I can imagine the sorts wanting it and those types are probably mainly cemented in their core beliefs so, its a no for me. I just feel like, however you wish to moderate it too, it will be an almost impossible task to remain 'impartial' (not tongue in cheek on current events) but I always think mods deciding a line of what is and isn't acceptable, not on the extremes, but on the fringes, is an almost impossible, and thankless task. That said, if the mods want this, more power to them but don't say I didn't warn you.

Sammyffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 15, 2023, 10:29:19 AM
I can't help but be cynical and feel like it would just be a place to go an argue. I can imagine the sorts wanting it and those types are probably mainly cemented in their core beliefs so, its a no for me. I just feel like, however you wish to moderate it too, it will be an almost impossible task to remain 'impartial' (not tongue in cheek on current events) but I always think mods deciding a line of what is and isn't acceptable, not on the extremes, but on the fringes, is an almost impossible, and thankless task. That said, if the mods want this, more power to them but don't say I didn't warn you.

Interesting points about the types you think want it. I tend to agree however i also think those who don't want it are probably the ones who know they can't control themselves. Many people can have a civilised chat about politics but also many can't.

I understand those who don't want it, however most of their opinions seem to be because they think people will just argue etc, however like anything they have the option to just never go onto that part of the FOF site so it shouldn't affect them in the slightest?

Personally i do find it slightly strange people don't want others to have something when they won't use it anyway.. but guess thats just me

FFC1987

Quote from: Sammyffc on March 15, 2023, 01:48:14 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on March 15, 2023, 10:29:19 AM

Interesting points about the types you think want it. I tend to agree however i also think those who don't want it are probably the ones who know they can't control themselves. Many people can have a civilised chat about politics but also many can't.

I understand those who don't want it, however most of their opinions seem to be because they think people will just argue etc, however like anything they have the option to just never go onto that part of the FOF site so it shouldn't affect them in the slightest?

Personally i do find it slightly strange people don't want others to have something when they won't use it anyway.. but guess thats just me

Sure, but let's be honest here, as you say, i'd say the majority of people can't hold those conversations on more volatile subjects. You only have to look at previous posts here, they can get out of hand on almost nonsensical stuff like 'where do you think we'll finish this season'. I'd just add, I'm not in that bracket you mentioned at the end. regardless of whether I want it or not, if the mods want to put the time and effort into moderating it, more power to them. If there's a demand for it, more power to you all.

If I'm honest, the reason I'm not sure how good it will be is purely community based. If the out flowing of political arguments starts to creep into the football area ie posters being pee'd off with a poster and targeting argumentative lines in the football area, it just starts to create a toxic atmosphere which is pretty much why I left twitter. Appreciate some wouldn't do that, but we've seen this spill from post to post let alone from different areas (political to strictly football) but again, if there's a demand you don't seem to get from almost every other social media platform that you'd like on a football forum (or extension thereof) then so be it.

toshes mate

All the social media I use or have an interest in are specific and none are broad based anything you like affairs.  That is probably because my first use of the www part of the internet was specifically looking for information and people researching the same area as I was.  Broad based (news media, political activism etc) sites came much later and have always been hotbeds even if you just wanted to read and not participate in partisan or otherwise conversations. 

People will argue and will debate and sometimes there is a crossover between them and other times there isn't.  Words are always ambiguous and allowances should be made if you cannot see or hear the other person say those words.    For the many I encountered in my first few months on Alt and News Groups it was an art form to feeling posters bring new people out of themselves and I have not forgotten how it felt on my first few visits and how gifted these people were in overcoming language problems and the audio visual missing bits.  It was friendly but you would still be pulled up if you said something out of turn. 

Really poisonous stuff on the internet is still rare unless you go out of your way to find it.  There are really good reasons why the first thing you were told on www is not to reveal anything personal about yourself until you are absolutely sure it is safe to do so and even then to be really cautious about leaving ny personal stuff in a public place.  To get around this you could start limited chat spaces where you had control and can prevent eavesdroppers.  I've met a fair few people that way especially in software development and computer parts development and had a fair few trips abroad some with very successful outcomes and some not so successful and the times I heard the words 'you are not at all as I imagined' is incredible and now I think I know part of the reason why.

blingo

Quote from: toshes mate on March 12, 2023, 12:19:09 PM
As Twig says provided it is clearly a separate forum then I cannot see what harm it can do.  Whether people use this new forum or not is up to them just as the 'General Discussion' category is.  No objection from me. 

+1

Friendsoffulham

We are not sure that most have understood the purpose of a NFR forum, so here goes again;

1. The General Discussion forum wouldn't be going anywhere, it will remain as the main discussion forum for anything FFC related.

2. The NFR forum will be set up as a sub-forum, bit like what we did with the Overseas and International forum, and will sit on the index page along with the Website Feedback forum, Matchday Thread forum, Man of the Match forum etc.

3. IF, say for arguments sake someone starts a NFR topic in the General Discussion forum that's about politics, wealth, money, health, whatever, we will move it to the NFR forum, rather than delete it, and you can continue to discuss that topic, but the moderation will be more relaxed, basically it's on your head be it. 

4. If you want to openly start a NFR topic, for augments sake, how to cut my grass at home, are we heading for a recession, anyone know how to fix a car, then you can do so in NFR forum.

What we are basically saying, is that the General Discussion forum is for football, and Fulham only related topics, the NFR forum is for non-football related topics, so we can keep the pair separate.

Reason for this, is that we are slightly frustrated in saying that Friends of Fulham is a zero politics forum, but people ignore these guidelines, and do it anyway. Or, within 3 to 4 replies of a decent post, someone wants to turn it into a politics debate.

Marcel_Gecov

:Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro:

Great decision...

Sammyffc

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on March 15, 2023, 06:20:41 PM
We are not sure that most have understood the purpose of a NFR forum, so here goes again;

1. The General Discussion forum wouldn't be going anywhere, it will remain as the main discussion forum for anything FFC related.

2. The NFR forum will be set up as a sub-forum, bit like what we did with the Overseas and International forum, and will sit on the index page along with the Website Feedback forum, Matchday Thread forum, Man of the Match forum etc.

3. IF, say for arguments sake someone starts a NFR topic in the General Discussion forum that's about politics, wealth, money, health, whatever, we will move it to the NFR forum, rather than delete it, and you can continue to discuss that topic, but the moderation will be more relaxed, basically it's on your head be it. 

4. If you want to openly start a NFR topic, for augments sake, how to cut my grass at home, are we heading for a recession, anyone know how to fix a car, then you can do so in NFR forum.

What we are basically saying, is that the General Discussion forum is for football, and Fulham only related topics, the NFR forum is for non-football related topics, so we can keep the pair separate.

Reason for this, is that we are slightly frustrated in saying that Friends of Fulham is a zero politics forum, but people ignore these guidelines, and do it anyway. Or, within 3 to 4 replies of a decent post, someone wants to turn it into a politics debate.

Sounds perfect to me!

Nick Bateman

I would vote yes to a NFR forum. Sometimes it seems ludicrous that because of the the political ban, football does get involved in politics like as has been pointed out the Gary Lineker saga, but this forum cannot comment. While one does see how subjects can easily become diverted isn't that simply the course of natural debate, which often strays away from the subject. I missed the vote at the time.

So my first topic on the NFR forum would be, would the FA keep the season going if WW3 broke out? They did play behind closed doors during lockdown because they wanted Liverpool to win, and now it's Arsenal's turn. Actually it's both football and non-football related tbh.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Lighthouse

I think if some people have misunderstood the original idea of an NFR forum. Then that is a perfect example of why we shouldn't have one or need one. I maintain that the interweb is a big place where we can prattle on for hours about things we really know nothing about. FOF is a football forum and I am sure if you wanted to talk about film or politics or music or garden rakes. There are places elsewhere on the interweb you can do so at your hearts content. Why have a separate place on FOF.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

I have to agree, it is not the right place for common affairs and such like, as there are so many other outlets to go on if you are looking for a row, unless there is an amusing story to share in a light handed manner.
Otherwise politics only ends bringing the worst out in people if there is a disagreement.

I remember on my first day working for the Ministry of Defence my superior officer advised me never to discuss politics or religion with anyone.
Wise words that i have never forgotten.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

blingo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 16, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
I have to agree, it is not the right place for common affairs and such like, as there are so many other outlets to go on if you are looking for a row, unless there is an amusing story to share in a light handed manner.
Otherwise politics only ends bringing the worst out in people if there is a disagreement.

I remember on my first day working for the Ministry of Defence my superior officer advised me never to discuss politics or religion with anyone.

Must have been a Freemason

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: blingo on March 16, 2023, 01:55:21 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 16, 2023, 12:39:24 PM

Must have been a Freemason

Well the same officer some time later called me into his office and informed me that he had complaints from other members of our unit that they felt intimidated by me.
So i stared at him until he apologised.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.