watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Extra time with reduced numbers

Started by Beamer, March 21, 2023, 05:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

Putting aside the FFC involvement for a moment, is it fair that a team which has players sent off during normal time should have to play extra time with reduced numbers. If games still went to replays they would be able to play it with a full side so is there an argument that they should be able to bring their numbers up to 11 for extra time- obviously not including the original miscreants, given that the extra time is not part of the original game.
I can see a possible misuse where a team gets a player to get a red card on purpose near the end so that they can have some fresh legs on for extra time.
There is an argument that players are aware before the game what the situation is and should manage themselves better to avoid putting their side in the position where they put their side at a disadvantage.
What do people think.

Jules

The whole point of a sending off is to punish an offence, in William's case it was harsh as he was just trying to get his body in the way, but the rule does say handball in the box preventing a goal is a red card. I don't get why a team should be allowed to bring back up their team to 11 for extra time. Doesn't that defeat the object of the punishment?

Beamer

Or you could argue that the punishment is for the rest of the game and that extra time is a separate event. An extra sub is allowed already which leans towards it not being considered as just an extension of the current game.

Jules

Quote from: Beamer on March 21, 2023, 07:04:57 AM
Or you could argue that the punishment is for the rest of the game and that extra time is a separate event. An extra sub is allowed already which leans towards it not being considered as just an extension of the current game.
I get the idea, but disagree. Cup games often have extra time when games are level after 90 mins. Extra time isn't a different event, it's still the same one in my view.

davew

What are the rules in regard to a penalty shoot off when 1 team has less than 11 players and the scores are still level after 5 penalties each have been taken?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Beamer

The team who has more has to exclude a player(s) to level the numbers.

davew

Quote from: Beamer on March 21, 2023, 07:51:49 AM
The team who has more has to exclude a player(s) to level the numbers.
Cheers I thought that might be the case.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

COLMAN

Quote from: davew on March 21, 2023, 07:48:38 AM
What are the rules in regard to a penalty shoot off when 1 team has less than 11 players and the scores are still level after 5 penalties each have been taken?

Gets very confusing if a player gets red carded during the penalty shoot out....it happened in the U.S when a goalkeeper got sent off for 2 yellows in the shoot out, one for repeatably standing off his line and the second for arguing with the referee. It took 20 minutes to sort out.

Dienikes

I don't think it is workable, and would have serious perverse consequences.  In the last minute of injury time in normal time, a player from Team A with a clear run at goal is denied a goal scoring opportunity by a player from team B rugby tackling him.  The defender is sent off, the free kick comes to nothing, and the whistle is blown for the end of 90 minutes.  Team B then resumes with a full compliment of eleven players, with no punishment, and effectively having evaded immediate defeat through foul play.  It is self-evidently unfair.

Beamer

Fair point Dienkes, but if that happens in the first minute and the team hangs on is it right that they then have to play extra time as well with 10 men (or less). Supposing the opposition in a 2 leg game has a player sent off in the first leg and the incident is in the second. Extra time in the second leg punishes the team losing a man in the latter game.
I'm not sure that there is a perfect answer but there should be some way of coming to a more equitable solution.