watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When Senderos Returns/Arrives

Started by White Noise, January 13, 2011, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Who will make way to give him a game or two? Can he play anywhere other than CB?

SmithyFFC

FTID

The Swan

The Swan

finnster01

Does he even exist?

And why is it that every player we sign has to spend 6 months+ on the injury list?

I mean, Senderos, AJ, Dembele tec. The last healthy signing seems to be Hangeland, but I guess I have jinxed that too now... :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Senderos will turn out to be a very good signing  :54:

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 13, 2011, 09:25:37 PM
Senderos will turn out to be a very good signing  :54:
I agree with you Freddy.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

cebu

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on January 14, 2011, 12:02:34 AM
But where is he going to play?

I have the same question. We always talk about do we have the financial resources to have GOOD backups. I think TonyGilroy has made this point over and over, we talk about getting good players but it means they have to be willing to sit, or one of our good current starters would then sit and we would call them 'deadwood' before too long.

What I would like to see is a 15 man squad with MH rotating in the 12-15 players on a somewhat regular basis to be sure they are match fit and sharp. It is why I would not like to see Greening go because he comes in and does a job. He's not our best midfielder, but if he was, he would be starting. It seems we need depth and Senderos gives us CB depth that we don't have. We really only have Halliche (unproven) and Baird who really is backing up in 4 positions. It would be good to see him come on and give H&H a game off here and there and to be there in case God forbid one of them get injured. If that happened we would quickly be thankful to have a HEALTHY Senderos to fill the role in journeyman like fashion.

Now the only problem with rotating those 12-15 players is we have to be winning matches for this to work effectively because MH would be hesitant to make changes if he felt the same starting XI were his best and we were only drawing, losing or occassionally winning like what we saw earlier in the year. Having 4 good players who are on the edge of starting keeps competition strong and also gives us more tactical matchup flexibility.

So in summary, having a HEALTHY Senderos is a good thing.

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 14, 2011, 01:02:17 AM

I have the same question. We always talk about do we have the financial resources to have GOOD backups. I think TonyGilroy has made this point over and over, we talk about getting good players but it means they have to be willing to sit, or one of our good current starters would then sit and we would call them 'deadwood' before too long.

What I would like to see is a 15 man squad with MH rotating in the 12-15 players on a somewhat regular basis to be sure they are match fit and sharp. It is why I would not like to see Greening go because he comes in and does a job. He's not our best midfielder, but if he was, he would be starting. It seems we need depth and Senderos gives us CB depth that we don't have. We really only have Halliche (unproven) and Baird who really is backing up in 4 positions. It would be good to see him come on and give H&H a game off here and there and to be there in case God forbid one of them get injured. If that happened we would quickly be thankful to have a HEALTHY Senderos to fill the role in journeyman like fashion.

Now the only problem with rotating those 12-15 players is we have to be winning matches for this to work effectively because MH would be hesitant to make changes if he felt the same starting XI were his best and we were only drawing, losing or occassionally winning like what we saw earlier in the year. Having 4 good players who are on the edge of starting keeps competition strong and also gives us more tactical matchup flexibility.

I'll try this again; the server ate it last time.

Jack, you can't survive with 12-15 players -- especially if you have the oldest squad in the league. Here's what you need AT MINIMUM

FOUR strikers
THREE wide midfielders
THREE central midfielders
ONE striker/midfielder
THREE wide defenders
THREE central defenders
ONE defender/midfielder
TWO goalkeepers.

I make that 20 folks, and that's if you don't have any long-term injuries or serious losses of form.

I do agree with you that we need to keep Senderos and Greening.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on January 14, 2011, 03:24:42 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on January 14, 2011, 01:02:17 AM

I'll try this again; the server ate it last time.

Jack, you can't survive with 12-15 players -- especially if you have the oldest squad in the league. Here's what you need AT MINIMUM

FOUR strikers
THREE wide midfielders
THREE central midfielders
ONE striker/midfielder
THREE wide defenders
THREE central defenders
ONE defender/midfielder
TWO goalkeepers.

I make that 20 folks, and that's if you don't have any long-term injuries or serious losses of form.

I do agree with you that we need to keep Senderos and Greening.

Totally agree Hatter, my bad I was communicating poorly. What I meant to say is we have 15 players who could start without any worry and then fill the rest of the squad with what we like to label as true backups and perhaps some deadwood. 25 is a fine number for squad size. :)

I guess I started to really appreciate this last year when we were rotating in quite a few players during our Europa League run and the cups while playing in the league as well. These extra games helped the next 3 or 4 players get valuable pitch time and it helped us later when injuries came along. We actually have a pretty good squad sans a target man at this point and if we did nothing else but get a target man this window I would be satisfied.

We sort of have what I am talking about right now with Greening, Gera, AJ, and Sidwell I would gather, throw Senderos into the mix and we have some depth at CB, midfield, wing, and striker, with Kelly, Salcido, Halliche, KG in the wings and Riis, EJ, Elm as the deadwood.

BalDrick

For some reason I thought he was a left back?

You could make a conspiracy theory that said Hodgson wanted to bring Brede to Liverpool so that was why he bought him.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

HatterDon

Quote from: BalDrick on January 14, 2011, 09:01:49 AM
For some reason I thought he was a left back?

You could make a conspiracy theory that said Hodgson wanted to bring Brede to Liverpool so that was why he bought him.

It's been so long since I saw him in an Arsenal shirt, I can't really remember where he played for them. I did see him a lot at central defense internationally, though.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

That's all fair enough Mr Hatter, but we have right now at least 5 (and possibly 6) players in the squad that can play CB: Hangers, Hughes, Senderos, Halliche, Baird and Briggsy.

That is OTT (who needs 6 CB?)  especially when we have no strikers either fit or able to play for what they get paid. And we have nobody even close to signing as far as I am aware of.

That is the real major issue. 

OldBrownShoe

Play one of the centre backs up front (on a temporary basis) for nuisance value at least. :dead horse:  They couldn't do worse than...

Sometimes such ideas work eg who remembers John Dempsey?
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again