watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team For Tomorrow

Started by filham, April 14, 2023, 10:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

With four premier league defeats behind us it would seem that changes are needed to our starting line up for the trip to play Everton.
However the reality is that the players we are using stand well above their understudies and thus to make changes in most positions would obviously weaken the team.
There can be little change to recent starting line ups but Silva has to make some change to tactics.

Leno
                        Tete           Diop           Ream          Robinson
                                      Reed           Palhinha

Periera
                           BDR                                        Willian
                                            Viniciou

Second half introduction of Solomon and Cairney as impact subs.

Hatch007

I don't think you can drop Tosin after his performance against WH.

The attack needs a major reshuffle for my mind just to change things up.

It will never happen but my formation would be something like:

Wilson / Pereira or BDR (10) / Solomon
James (to create some havoc with his pace)

I could even be persuaded to start TC at 10 and push Pereira or BDR up to compensate for TC's lack of press

SerbianLad

I'd try to mix things up, I feel like some of our key players probably need rest and they are performing at a level below their previous performances, one week of rest could help them return to their best level.

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

filham

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 14, 2023, 11:07:14 AMI'd try to mix things up, I feel like some of our key players probably need rest and they are performing at a level below their previous performances, one week of rest could help them return to their best level.

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR
[/quot
Quote from: Hatch007 on April 14, 2023, 10:52:08 AMI don't think you can drop Tosin after his performance against WH.

The attack needs a major reshuffle for my mind just to change things up.

It will never happen but my formation would be something like:

Wilson / Pereira or BDR (10) / Solomon
James (to create some havoc with his pace)

I could even be persuaded to start TC at 10 and push Pereira or BDR up to compensate for TC's lack of press
The thought of Cairney in midfield with the pace of Solomon and James in front of him is exciting.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 14, 2023, 11:07:14 AMI'd try to mix things up, I feel like some of our key players probably need rest and they are performing at a level below their previous performances, one week of rest could help them return to their best level.

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

Not sure about playing Cedric, Lukic and Cairney in an away game, Everton will be in our faces the whole game and I'd question whether they have the physical wherewithal and stamina to press them. I would favour sticking with Robinson, Reed and Pereira from the start and subbing out all three early if it's not working out, don't forget we have up to 5 subs. Other than that I like it.

This will only work if we stop pumping balls in the box or playing long balls to the striker though, or we'll see BDR struggle just like against Brighton.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on April 14, 2023, 11:34:11 AM

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

Not sure about playing Cedric, Lukic and Cairney in an away game, Everton will be in our faces the whole game and I'd question whether they have the physical wherewithal and stamina to press them. I would favour sticking with Robinson, Reed and Pereira from the start and subbing out all three early if it's not working out, don't forget we have up to 5 subs. Other than that I like it.

This will only work if we stop pumping balls in the box or playing long balls to the striker though, or we'll see BDR struggle just like against Brighton.
I think Everton won't play out of the back, they play more direct football, which means we won't be able to press them effectively regardless of who we play. Being secure in possesion of the ball will be key here in my opinion.

Andreas and Reed to me seem very tired and Cairney and Lukic will help us control possesion as the two of them have best passing stats in our team. Robinson had 2-3 bad games in a row now.  I don't blame him as he's been playing non stop and probably needs rest. I thought Cedric did alright defensively against West Ham and could do a job at lb.

I see your points, but I still believe this lineup could work. It will be interesting to see if Marco makes some changes, as what we are doing at the moment didn't seem to work in last few games (apart from MU in the cup).

St Eve

I am not impressed with Cedric at all. Wilson and James are too lightweight and not premiership players. Diop/Tosin is a tough call. I think BDR gets the nod over Solomon because of his defensive qualities. Cairney comes on after 60 minutes

Lordedmundo

I agree with the original post- that it is difficult to make changes when the back-up have proved to be less effective in most instances. 

The most difficult decision for Saturday is indeed Diop or Tosin (perhaps Ream be dropped/rested?)

What I would like to see is Solomon getting on the ball more. I can't help think that Robinson running into such advanced positions with the ball is squeezing out the space for Manor to work with.  I suspect that Silva has seen this, which is why he has recently been switching him and Willian during the games. Part of the issue is that Pereira instinctively appears to link play more with Willian than Manor - and them switching wings does not really change that dynamic.

Potentially Manor could replace/deputise for Pereira in the attacking midfield position. His dribbling ability and shooting are actually better than Pereira (IMO) and he has played in that role around 20 times for Shakhtar.

One other option is a change of formation to 4-4-2 with Bobby and Vinicius up top - certainly that could be considered if we go a goal down on Saturday...

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 14, 2023, 11:51:12 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on April 14, 2023, 11:34:11 AM

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

I think Everton won't play out of the back, they play more direct football, which means we won't be able to press them effectively regardless of who we play. Being secure in possesion of the ball will be key here in my opinion.

Andreas and Reed to me seem very tired and Cairney and Lukic will help us control possesion as the two of them have best passing stats in our team. Robinson had 2-3 bad games in a row now.  I don't blame him as he's been playing non stop and probably needs rest. I thought Cedric did alright defensively against West Ham and could do a job at lb.

I see your points, but I still believe this lineup could work. It will be interesting to see if Marco makes some changes, as what we are doing at the moment didn't seem to work in last few games (apart from MU in the cup).

I agree they look a bit tired and I was weighing up agreeing with you, but on the other hand I hink we need to avoid conceding early and having more physical players at the start will help.
We can always bring them on if it's not working. Also think we need to get Solomon involved much more than we have been, for some reason he doesn't get passed to as much as some of the other players, he's one of the few reliable goalscorers that we have. 

Thailand Mick

For what it's worth I would try something different.

Leno
Tete. Diop. Ream. Robinson
     Reed.  Palhinha.
Pereira.           Willian.               
      BDR. Soloman.

Twig

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

I like this.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Twig on April 14, 2023, 12:36:48 PM

Leno
Tete Diop Tosin Cedric
    Lukic Palhinha
Willian Cairney Solomon
            BDR

Me too. Want to see more of Lukic.

junior white

Quote from: St Eve on April 14, 2023, 12:09:31 PMI am not impressed with Cedric at all. Wilson and James are too lightweight and not premiership players. Diop/Tosin is a tough call. I think BDR gets the nod over Solomon because of his defensive qualities. Cairney comes on after 60 minutes
Agree re Cedric, he wouldnt play for me been a poor signing too date

Sting of the North

Leno

Tete, Tosin, Ream, Robinson

TC, Palhinha

Willian, Pereira, Solomon

Reid

That is what I would go with. Think TC has shown so many times this season that he deserves to start. Simlarly believe Reed has been off the pace for quite some time now (with a few notable exceptional half games or so).

Personally I have lost faith in Vinicius potential to improve and think that we cannot continue to play with a striker that offers so little of anything.

Other than those two changes I see no reason to tinker with what has been largely a very good team this season.

sarnian

Play 3 T the back, Tosin, Diop and Ream, 2 wingbacks, 2 central midfield and 3 upfront.

Lambo

Without Mitrovic I would change things as Vini is just not good enough and we do not have 1 player to replace up front. following 4 successive defeats and knowing that Everton are going to play hoof football I would go for:

Leno

Diop           Tosin      Ream
  BDR                                                  Robinson
                        Reed                Palhinha
                                Cairney
                     Periera             Solomon

davew

Interesting that only the OP has suggested Vinny, he won't get my vote either. It is a pity that Marco will probably pick him and we continue to have the same post match discussion as we do every week when Vinny plays. By all means include him in the squad, but time to mix things up front, how, I have no idea!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Whitestone

It's because we don't have another viable option that I expect to see Vinicius start tomorrow, unless Silva has a trick up his sleeve. BDR is a great utility option but not as a 9. Anyone who remembers Brighton away will know that. Silva tried it and changed it in the second half because it just didn't work.

WindyCity

I'd start the usual suspects.  Including Diop and Tete.

A road point wouldn't be the worst outcome.  Although I think FFC has played well on the road, and picking up three points should be the goal.

My primary concern is that if Everton (or any other future opponent) scores first, we might be in trouble.  Our offensive capabilities are just not there as they were in first half of season.  Need to score first to stay competitive in any remaining games and give ourselves a chance for a result.   

Drewry66

Controversial maybe but I'd try a game without Periera I think. No one else seems to have left him out. He's been brilliant this season in many ways and I've loved shoving his assist stats in my Man U mates faces. Stats wise however if you take away set pieces he isn't that productive going forward which is where we are struggling big time. Even less effective in terms of set pieces without mitro to head them in. We also have a load of other brilliant set piece takers so do we lose too much? His all around play has also dropped right off recently. I don't blame him...he's prob just knackered with the role he plays and no summer break coming from Brazil. Finally one of his biggest issues is he rarely runs beyond the striker. He did it the last game and unfortunately fluffed it but compare him to Fabio who constantly popped up in goal scoring positions and you can see the difference. Don't get me wrong...I love the guy but our expected goals have been so low the last few months I'm thinking something extreme here.

We also have 5 players that have played behind the striker in their time (Cairney, Willian, BDR, Solomon and Wilson). We also have our best two wingers In Solomon and Willian who both prefer playing left which is causing issues as neither seems comfortable right.

What about the same system then but something incredibly fluid where the three behind the striker can interchange and overlap each other with tonnes of movement? Poss the striker as well if not Vini. Starting as below but with a view that all are interchangeable:

Willian - left
Solomon - central
Wilson - right
BDR - up top

Could go with vini instead of BDR as as he's shown if people run off him he can put the right ball through as per a few to Solomon and Andrea's last week. BDR up there was a disaster against Brighton but I don't think it should be discounted. Brighton are one of the best teams in the league at pressing which forced us to hit it long and he can't win it in the air...totally the wrong game to try it.

Wilson has been poor this year but a huge injury and shown signs the last few appearances.

If we wanted to go ultra attacking Cairney instead of Reed behind them.

I'd love to see Willian, Solomon, Wilson with constant movement and interchanging. Could be a nightmare to mark and lose the ridiculous predictability of our attacking in recent weeks.

Will never happen but a thought for something different!!