2-2
Arsenal
Forest
0-2
Man Utd

WhiteJC

'I don't need to' - Marco Silva rejects Everton claims after Fulham victory

Marco Silva was speaking after Fulham's win over Everton in the Premier League

Marco Silva refused to accept that he proved a point to the Everton hierarchy after he made a winning return to Goodison Park.

Silva was appointed Everton manager ahead of the 2018/19 season and guided the Blues to an eighth-place finish in his first season in charge. However, his second campaign didn't go according to plan, and he was sacked in December 2019 after a 5-2 defeat to Liverpool.

The Portuguese spent just under two years out of the game following his dismissal from Everton before returning to management with Fulham at the start of last season. He then helped the club return to the top-flight at the first time of asking.

And Silva came back to haunt his old side on Saturday afternoon as he made a winning return to Goodison. Despite Dwight McNeil cancelling out Harrison Reed's opener before the break, Harry Wilson and Dan James were both on target in the second half.

The victory was Fulham's first in five games, while Everton's relegation worries only depended as a result of the 3-1 defeat. But Silva was in no mood to gloat post-match.

"I don't need one football match to prove nothing to no one," he replied when asked if he took extra satisfaction in the manner in which his side won.

"I have to keep proving myself to my staff, my players and for Fulham Football Club. I am really pleased with the three points.

"It was important because we came from a bad spell, and it is always good. I am even more pleased for the second-half. Not just because we won, but the way we did it.

"I understand your question, but for me, it is not one game that will change. I don't need to prove anything in one football match."

Reflecting on his side's performance, Silva said: "Many many positives to take from the game. First, of course, the three points and the win, and we were clearly the best team on the pitch.

"The way we started and the moment we scored was well deserved because we were the best team on the pitch."

"In some moments, we take some risks, and in that moment, they won the first and second balls, and they reacted well and scored the goal.

"They had small momentum at the end of the first half, but we spoke at half-time to stick to the plan. Our second half was very good, and we had even more chances to score.

"We had good chances in those moments. Congratulations to the players and the fans. We changed some things and played with a different striker, and Daniel James had a very good performance and deserved his goal."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marco-silva-fulham-everton-victory-26707365

WhiteJC

Tim Ream: Thierry Henry "showed me what it is to be a professional"

The studio crew dove in to get the dish on Ream's fantastic season in the EPL, his career beginnings with the New York Red Bulls and what it means for his new hometown club, St. Louis CITY SC, to get off to a blazing start in MLS.

On his long and successful career in Europe – so far, 12 years and 374 matches in England's top two flights – Ream credited the big-name teammates he had in his first two years as a pro with the Red Bulls.

"I think when you look at some of the players that were at the club at the time, just being around the likes of Thierry Henry, the likes of Rafa Márquez, Teemu Tainio, guys who have played in Europe, who played in big leagues, they kind of just showed me what it is to be a professional," said Ream, whose Fulham side are on pace to finish in the top half of the Premier League for the first time since 2011-12.

"I obviously always had the work ethic and the desire to make the jump and move to Europe. But having those guys around and watching them prepare themselves, watching them train, watching them play and being right alongside them, it just took my kind of hunger and desire to move over here to a new level and helped me immensely to understand what it means to be a professional and what it means to take care of yourself."

While Ream has enjoyed mostly consistent playing time in Europe since he first moved to join Bolton Wanderers in 2011, the 2022-23 season has been his most successful year yet – a remarkable feat for his player in his mid-30s.

"I think a few years ago, I worried about what comes next, what's going to happen, what happens after a mistake, what happens after a bad game. ... I don't anymore," said Ream of a mentality shift that's helped not only prolong his career but lift it to new heights.

"It's just being in the moment. Understanding that mistakes are going to be made, there are learning opportunities, and that even at 35 years old, I can still learn something new in this game and still improve every single day, every single training. I treat every training session and every game as if it could be potentially my last one. And I want to make sure that I put everything into it to, you know, if I did have to call it quits and call time of my career, that I would be happy with what I've done."

In addition to sharpening his mind, the St. Louis native has focused on staying in top physical shape: "It's first and foremost taking care of your body. When guys are going out and having a good time, it's making sure that I'm recovering and preparing myself for the next game, even if it is six days away."

Though Ream has been fully dedicated to his own soccer over the last 12 months, even canceling a family trip to Disneyland when he found out he'd made the US roster for the 2022 World Cup, the success of St. Louis CITY has not gone unnoticed.

"I've watched it from afar. I've looked and seen on social media, MLS Season Pass. The city has been crying out for a team. The infrastructure wasn't there, in terms of actual physical building or a stadium, but the youth, the youth clubs, the development has always been there," said Ream, one of two players (Josh Sargent the other) on the US' Qatar squad with St. Louis roots.

"It's no surprise that the appetite was there. And to see it take off the way it has is, again, it's kind of beyond what you could have even imagined."

Fulham's next Premier League match comes April 22 against Leeds United, who boast a bevy of MLS/USMNT veterans – Brendan Aaronson and Tyler Adams to name a few – themselves.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/tim-ream-thierry-henry-showed-me-what-it-is-to-be-a-professional

WhiteJC

Man of the Match Result: Everton

Harry Wilson has come out on top of a tight vote to claim the Man of the Match award against Everton.

Wilson and Dan James were both brought in by Marco Silva for the Goodison Park clash, and they duly rewarded their Head Coach with two prolific showings.

And so it proved that the pair were the most popular candidates in the MOTM poll, with Wilson's 36.2 per cent of the vote edging out his Wales international teammate by the finest of margins, with 34.5% opting for DJ.

After drawing an early save from Jordan Pickford, Wilson went even closer when his beautiful curling strike struck the inside of the far post. It deserved a goal and thankfully it led to one, thanks to Harrison Reed via James' touch.

A first Premier League goal in black and white wasn't to elude Wilson for long, though. Kenny Tete spotted Willian in space at the far post, and the winger had the intelligence to cushion a perfect touch into the path of Wilson who had space in the box, and his trusty left foot did the rest.

You could tell what it meant to the 26-year-old, as he sprinted straight to the away fans, who would have had a lovely view of his strike.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/april/16/man-of-the-match-result-everton/

WhiteJC

Is this the best away trip any fan can make ?

Once again we skim the surface of the Lost Boyo files, it only seems like yesterday when Matt covered his trip to Craven Cottage. It was in fact eleven years ago. Time as it always does waits for no one. Another comprehensive and detailed experienced with the Lost Boyo. Please enjoy !

Unsurprisingly, I am regularly asked: "what is your favourite football ground that you have ever visited?" My answer is the same every time. Craven Cottage. I love the place. My first visit to the Cottage came in February 2009 for an FA Cup replay between then Championship Swansea and Premier League Fulham. The fact that the game went to a replay in the first place was ludicrous as Swansea had given the Premier League team a battering in the initial game at the Liberty Stadium in front of the ITV cameras; the game finished 1-1 with Jason Scotland scoring a sublime equaliser for the Swans after Garry Monk had scored an own goal to put Fulham ahead. The draw forced a replay and to West London we went with the knowledge that a win for us would mean a home game against Manchester United in the next round – a huge deal for the Swans at the time. When Jason Scotland opened the scoring for the Swans, at Craven Cottage, raucous choruses of "Bring on United!" bellowed from the away end. Unfortunately, the choruses were short lived as an inspired Clint Dempsey led Fulham to a 2-1 victory. Despite the disappointment of the result, I had fallen in love with the ground. I was bitterly disappointed not to be able to return when Swansea went there as a Premier League team last season (even more so when we delivered our best performance of the season in fine 3-0 display). In regards to football, my 2012 would finish at Craven Cottage to watch Swansea take on Fulham just two days before the New Year.

The country was still being hit by heavy rainfall and the lower league football fixture list was already full of the dreaded 'P-P'. There was little chance of Swansea's game being called off, but it was safe to say that the weather was horrid as I set off from South Wales to London. The 2 hour train journey down to London was filled with me playing the 'spot-a-farm underwater' game that I had invented (I saw 2 by the way), but just after10:30 I arrived into London Paddington and began to suss out how I was going to make the short journey to West London. Obviously, a trip to London isn't complete without some rail works to scupper your journey and this was to prove the case today with the line to Putney, the nearest stop to Craven Cottage, closed. The plan was to now to head to Hammersmith and work my way to the Cottage from there – via some pubs of course.

After a brief wander around Hammersmith, I headed back to the Swan Inn directly opposite Hammersmith station. It was in here I met up with Keith Haynes, the writer of the book Shine on Swansea, and his contingent of Gloucester Jacks, John and Gary; we were later joined by the famous Howard of Cowbridge, a man who appears to have taken on iconic status following his mentions in Keith's books. Keith and the gang sung the praises of the local ale, London Pride, whilst I had to endure spending £4.20 for a pint of San Miguel. Bloody London!

One of the more surreal moments of the day occurred when I asked a lad, who was sitting by himself, could he possibly take a photo of our party. In a strong American accent he asked, "Hey, are you guys Swansea fans?" When we replied in the affirmative (although I'm not sure if the question was necessary as we were all kitted out in a variety of Swansea merchandise) our American friend began to tell us how he was also a Swansea fan and how he and his mates, who eventually joined him, had come over from Connecticut to watch today's game and Swansea's New Years Day fixture against Aston Villa at the Liberty. The fandom apparently sprung from his uncle being one of the Swans' directors, although when we quizzed him on who the director was he didn't seem to know his uncle's own name! One of the American Jacks was even in the process of reading Keith's book so was amazed to bump into the book's author in a pub in West London. The Swans are truly global these days.

When talk turned today's game, I got the sense that people were not very confident of an away win today and the away day standard statement of "I'll take a point today" was reeled out on more than one occasion by Swansea fans throughout the day. I was very much in the "take a draw" camp as despite Fulham's woeful run of form, I was under the impression that they would have to turn it around soon and why not again us. Also, Fulham had the influential Bryan Ruiz returning to their team today and I believed it was no coincidence that Fulham's massive nosedive down the table coincided with Ruiz being injured for the past two months. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a big fan of Ruiz and although he would be taking on my beloved Swans today, I ultimately like to see great players play so I was looking forward to seeing him play.

After a few beers, I departed the lads in the Swan Inn and went to meet Tom. Tom was supposed to be bringing his girlfriend to the game, but she had pulled out and instead he informed me that he had a special guest coming down with him: Tom's Dad, also conveniently called Tom. Tom Probert Snr., an Everton fan, would be experiencing his first trip with the Jack Army today so I was hopeful we would put a good show on for him, players and fans. I couldn't be bother to work out the general direction of Craven Cottage, so instead we headed to the taxi rank and hitched a ride to the Crabtree, a pub very near the Cottage and where I was due to meet some fellow Jacks. The taxi drive across West London was a short one costing just over £5 – I did not realise how close Hammersmith is to Putney.

We arrived at the Crabtree and we were greeted by a very busy bar with mix of Swansea and Fulham fans. The place was so busy that we opted to buy two pints each. This was made even better by the fact they sold my beloved Barcelona based lager Estrella Damm. With our pints in hand we headed out to the beer garden, which was easily the pub's best feature; it was huge with plenty of space to mingle and with the majority of it being sheltered from the rain. In here we met our usual crowd of Swansea fans and once again there was talk of "taking a draw" today. I was particularly disappointed to hear that Medwyn had been chatting to Steffan Rhodri, AKA Dave Coaches from Gavin and Stacey, in the pub but did not persuade him to come joins us for a Lost Boyo photo. I was even more disappointed when one of the younger Jacks in our party knocked over and spilt my pint of Estrella – in all fairness, I'd probably had enough during the afternoon anyway.

The clock reached 14:30 and we decided to make the 10 minute walk through the streets zigzagging along the Thames riverbank to Craven Cottage. The ground has been the home of Fulham FC since 1896 and the name of the ground dates back to the late 18th century. The 'Cottage' mentioned in the ground's name was built by William Craven in the 1780s as a hunting lodge and was located roughly where the ground's centre circle lies today. The lodge was in a prime location as the Putney area was mainly woodland over 200 years. Fulham hold the record of having the second most home grounds in British football with 12 different places called home (as I reported on this Lost Boyo trip, their nearby neighbours QPR hold the record for most home grounds with 14 grounds being called home). After a traipse around several homes, Fulham played their first game at the ground in 1896, before a stand had even been built. It wasn't until the famous football ground architect Archibald Leitch ( the man who designed a large portion of football stadia in the early 20th century including Anfield, Old Trafford, Highbury and Hampden Park amongst many other famous grounds) became involved in the site that the ground really began to resemble a football stadium. It was also Leitch that built the famous Pavilion, the small house in the corner of Craven Cottage, which many people mistake as the cottage referenced in the ground's name. The red bricked Stevenage Road Stand, which was renamed the Johnny Haynes Stand in 2005 to celebrate it's 100 year existence, and the Pavilion are now Grade II listed buildings. Today, the ground holds 25, 700 fans, but this was only after the existence of the Cottage as Fulham's home was threatened. Fulham entered the Premier League in 2001 with Craven Cottage not at the required Premier League standard – standing terraces were banned from top flight grounds for one thing. Fulham had one season to improve the ground before they were prohibited to play top flight football there; the club never got around to the refurbishing of their home and the club opted to play their home games at Loftus Road for 1 and half seasons. Protest from Fulham fans, including many refusing to attend 'home' games at Loftus Road led to the board going ahead with the £8m refurbishment of Craven Cottage and the required improvements were made ready for Fulham to play Premier League football at the Cottage once again in 2004/05.

We walked past the Johnny Haynes Stand and the statue of Haynes, probably Fulham's most famous son, and went through the turnstiles of the Putney End Stand. The concourse is unlike any other in the Premier League as it is completely open. Part of the reason I love the Cottage so much is because of the away end; the concourse can get a bit crowded but it is huge with plenty of food and drink outlets meaning you don't have to queue for a ridiculous amount of time. However, the best feature is the fact that you can actually drink right alongside the River Thames – on a sunnier day, I can't imagine a more picturesque area to enjoy a prematch pie and drink in a football ground in the UK. Also, there are two drink stalls near the river bank that have much smaller queues than the other outlets – this is where we headed for our a few drinks before the kick-off. Conveniently, access to our seats was right next to this part of the ground. The Putney End also has the strange accolade of housing the club's tree, the only tree in any football ground in the whole country apparently (surely there must be some non-league grounds with trees in them though?)

Unlike most grounds where the team enter the field of play via the tunnels on the halfway line, both teams began crossing the field from the corner of the ground that houses the Pavilion to lineup ready for kick off. As the team's came out I realised that our seats were next to Dan, the guy behind one of my favourite Swansea sites, We Are Premier League (@We_R_PL) – a site that looks at stats and chalkboards for every Swans game. An excellent site that is a must read for all Jacks.

It was Fulham that started the game the be with Ruiz getting the ball to Berbatov for a corner, only for the classy Bulgarian to smash his volley into the wet surface and over the bar. Swansea slowly began to make their way into the game and on the 19 minute, the Swans found themselves ahead. Some good play down the right wing between Angel Rangel and Nathan Dyer put the little winger through on goal; his subsequent shot could only be parried by David Stockdale in the Fulham game and Danny Graham acrobatically converted the reboound into the net from 8 yards. Danny has had a tough time of it under Laudrup but he has always been a bit of a fan favourite amongst Swans fan, so the away end was delighted to see the Geordie striker score. Fulham's star performer was easily my man Ruiz who was completely running the show. The Costa Rican international was firing on site as he put one freekick just over the bar and had a powerfuls hot saved by Gerhard Tremmel, who was replacing Michel Vorm. Today was not the most typical of Swansea performance and the Swansea were more dogged than usual, something that was required for them to get to half-time at 1-0 up.

Half time was spent drinking along the river bank and discussing what Swansea needed to do to improve for the second half. The Swans had a substitution forced them at half time with Ki Sung Yeung coming on for Wayne Routledge who had picked up a slight knock in the first half. Fulham carried on attacking the Swans in the early stages of the second half but Swansea were defending brilliantly with Ashley Williams and captain fantastic Garry Monk being particularly imperious. The Swansea team was without Chico Flores today, but the team's loss would be the fans' gain as the Spanish fan favourite joined the Jack Army in the stands. Cue repeated chant at the Spanish defender. What a guy!

In the 52nd minute, Stockdale had a howler when he fired his clearance at his own defender, only for Pablo Hernandez to gather the rebound and play in Jonathan De Guzman to score an easy 2nd goal for the Swans. Fulham had gifted the Swans their two goals and their manager, Martin Jol, would publically blame his goalie for both goals after the game.

4 minutes later, Fulham would get their goal and it was inevitably through the mercurial Ruiz. Admittedly, the goal was far from mercurial as Ruiz finished into a half empty net after a penalty box scramble. Fulham's goal seemed to be the cue for the torrential rain to return and with us unprotected from the elements, we soon found ourselves enduring a soaking; but, when your team are winning away, you can easily blank out the absolute soaking you are taking. As the rain came down heavily, Berbatov thought he had equalised after his rebounded effort from Bryan Ruiz's saved shot was ruled out for offside. There was very little of note in the closing stages of the game as Swansea battled hard to maintain their one goal lead. Fulham's attacking threat just seemed to ebb out and soon Swansea had claimed their win and an important 3 points away from home.

We worked our way out of the ground (I even bumped into big Swansea tweeter @mattthejack on the way out, but my companions were rushing ahead of me so I had little time to chat) and decided to head back to the Crabtree. The Crabtree was even busier than before the game and after 5 minutes of queueing we decided to call it a write off and instead began the walk to Hammersmith. It turned out that Hammersmith was not that far away at all (just short of 15 minutes walking) and there was probably no need to get a taxi from there earlier in the day. To end our day down London, we enjoyed a couple more drinks in The Swan Inn before the two Tom Proberts made their way back towards their North Wales abode and I headed back to the tube and back to Paddington Station.

Having not been there for almost 4 years and having waxed lyrical about the Cottage during that time, I was worried that the ground was not going to be as good as I remembered it being. No chance. Craven Cottage is still my favourite ground in the country. It is in a great location, has a friendy environemnt and has a number of unique quirks, many that I've tried to list in this piece (I've not even mentioned the bizarre turn of events that led to a statue of Michael Jackson being erected outside the ground). If you get the chance to visit the Cottage, just go. I know I'll certainly be going again.

Highlights: another away win for the Swans, good pubs near the ground, the crowd's numerous quirks (e.g. enjoy a prematch drink in the ground on the banks of the Thames), great sense of history to the ground, friendly fans, big, open concourse with plenty of food/drink stalls to avoid queues

Low Points: Fulham fans create little noise/atmosphere (almost too nice!), getting soaked because of the lack of cover, not a great game.

Cheers Matt, A great Sunday read !

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60051/is-this-the-best-away-trip-any-fan-can-make-

WhiteJC

Player ratings: Everton 1-3 Fulham

George Rossiter assesses the boys' performances on the road on Merseyside.

Fulham returned to winning ways at Goodison Park after five straight defeats in all competitions. After a fairly even first half, Luis Boa Morte's men took control in the second 45 to go back to London with all three points. The whites now sit in 10th, three points clear and a game in hand ahead of, *checks notes*, Chelsea.

Bernd Leno
Most goalkeepers would have struggled to reach Dwight McNeil's effort, which came through some frantic defenders and into the bottom corner, so Leno certainly doesn't come in for criticism here. While the second half was quieter in our own area, the German made a few good stops in the first half to keep Fulham in it, including a close-range effort from Neal Maupay. 7/10

Kenny Tete
For all his consistency, this was Tete's best performance in recent weeks. Even more than normal, the Dutchman was up and down the right flank relentlessly, allowing the returning Harry Wilson to cut inside and exploit the gaps between Mykolenko and Everton's left-sided centre-back. He was brilliant defensively, as we've come to expect, and his ball over the top to Dan James for the third goal was spot on too. 8/10

Tosin
Just ridiculously dominant in the air. It's so good seeing a player that gets such an enjoyment from defending, and specifically when the ball is constantly coming into your box where Tosin won everything. His distribution is getting there too, his long diagonal passes we all love were on show, often to Willian, but on top of that he seems to be shaking off that nervousness he's previously had in possession when being pressed, which is really reassuring. The Diop verus Tosin debate will only continue while both continue to show their worth when they play. 8.5/10

Tim Ream
If Tosin was the man winning everything in the air, then it was Tim Ream winning it all on the ground. I know it's boring to bring up his age so often, but it only makes it all the more impressive when he's winning so many duels and getting to 50/50s quicker than our opposition's attacking players. His proactive defensive style continues to be faultless. 7.5/10

Antonee Robinson
Certainly an improved performance after the West Ham game last weekend. While not every cross found its intended destination, it was encouraging seeing variation in his delivery, often adapting to a lower ball to cater to a smaller attacking line-up in height. Defensively, Jedi was solid too. When Godfrey came off and more space became available, his overlapping runs down the left were particularly effective as Fulham looked to kill the game. 7/10

Joao Palhinha
A strangely sloppy first half from Joao. He never looked comfortable on the ball, exemplified by losing the ball in the lead up to Everton's goal. His second half was better, which probably coincided in the whole team's upturn in performance, looking more comfortable in possession and stronger in the tackle. Overall, however, one of his weaker games in the black and white. 6/10

Harrison Reed
It's been said a lot this season, but it's brilliant seeing the special one Iniesta add goals to his game. This new knack of finding himself in the right place in the box at the right time is an almost Lampard-esque trait (sorry) and another example of how Marco Silva has developed the game of one of his players. As always, Reed was everywhere for 90 minutes, following up his insane performance at Goodison in the lockdown season. 8/10

Andreas Pereira
Pereira wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination, but my God he needs a rest. Some of his passes looked sloppy and didn't find their targets, creatively there wasn't much coming from him and he should've done much better when the ball came to him on the penalty spot in the second half, even if it was a corner, it was going miles over. With Fulham safe in tenth and with the likes of Lukic, Cairney and Harris fit and available, the Brazilian surely deserves a rest now. 6/10

Harry Wilson
This is the winger we remember from our title-winning season! It was good to see the Welsh Wizard back and just looking confident with his game. He took his goal well in the second half and had the post and Pickford not prevented him in the first half, he may have had a hat-trick on another day. All day he had the beating of Mykolenko, he worked well with Tete down the right and if this form continues, he'll play a big role in the run-in. 9/10 – Man of the match

Willian
The Brazilian's football intelligence is just outstanding, he oozes class in everything he does. This was evident in how he played against different right-backs in front of him. When Godfrey pushed up tight to Willian, he cut in and ran around him. When Patterson came on and afforded Willian more space, he ran at him, past him and used Robinson's overlap more often. He manipulates space wherever and whenever he sees the opportunity to. His assist for Wilson's goal was class and composure in bucket loads. Give the man another year. 8/10

Dan James
Well, well, well. Who saw that coming? Carlos Vinicius must've been sat on the bench seeing us play to a different striker's strengths wondering what he has to do to get a game where we play the ball into his feet for 90 minutes. James was brilliant. He ran the channels non stop for 90 minutes, and even when he struggled to impact the game, he stuck to the plan and got more success in the second period. On the ball, he used his pace and trickery brilliantly to get the better of the Everton defence. His goal was brilliantly well earned and taken really well. Who'd have thought we'd have been sat here gutted that he's not available for the Leeds fixture next time out. 8.5/10

Substitutes
Tom Cairney and Bobby De Cordova-Reid (79' for Andreas Pereira and Willian)

Both came on and contributed to continuing our attacking momentum, frequently showing for the ball both centrally and out wide, taking it to the Everton defence and looking to create until the final whistle. 7/10 for both

Sasa Lukic and Carlos Vinicius (85' and 90' for Harrison Reed and Dan James) came on too late to be fairly rated.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-04-16-player-ratings-everton-1-3-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham reportedly keen on soon-to-be free agent swoop

Latest transfer news and rumours regarding Fulham following their weekend win

Fulham are reportedly keen on Porto midfielder Mateus Uribe. The Colombia international is out of contract at the end of the season and is currently due to become a free agent.

The 32-year-old has been on the books of his current club since 2019 but they could face a battle to keep hold ofhim this summer. According to a report by The Sun, the Cottagers have identified him as a potential addition ahead of next season with Manchester United eyeing a move for Joao Palhinha.

However, European pair Atletico Madrid and Lazio are also said to be interested in Uribe. He has made 166 appearances for Porto in all competitions since his move there and has chipped in with 14 goals.

The Medellin-born man started his career in his native country with spells at Deportivo Español, Envigado and Atlético Nacional before moving to Mexico to join America in 2017. He then spent two years in the Liga MX before heading to Portugal.

Fulham's recruitment since their return to the Premier League has been shrewd and they will be keeping one eye on the next transfer window as look to bolster their ranks. Marco Silva's side beat Everton 3-1 this weekend at Goodison Park and are 10th in the table.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-reportedly-keen-on-soon-to-be-free-agent-swoop-4106020

WhiteJC

Silva: Our plan came together
Marco Silva was delighted after his cunning plan ended Fulham's miserable run of five straight defeats at Goodison Park yesterday afternoon.

The former Everton head coach played Dan James as a false nine on his first return to the blue half of Merseyside since being sacked as Toffees boss in 2019 and the Whites wove together a wonderful display – securing a first victory at Everton in front of fans since 1969.

Silva, who rejected any suggestion that he had proven a point to the Everton hierarchy, explained that his tactical switches, which saw James' compatriot Harry Wilson fire Fulham in front with his first league goal of the season seven minutes after half time, were a response to a succession of below-par performances.

"I was not happy with our last two performances – the way we weren't really a threat in our attack line. We didn't create enough, we were not aggressive enough in our attack line. I didn't just change James, Harry Wilson [played] on the right side as well because we wanted to have a little bit more pace in behind, some different things and we had plenty of that.

We did our job, to analyse the game and to analyse Everton, we expected them to come to press really high every time, and we didn't want to give that number nine reference for them to go and squeeze him every time. We went in a different way and it worked really well, and the main reason is because the players understood and, after, they did it on the pitch."

The Portuguese head coach watched approvingly from the directors' box – serving the final game of his touchline ban – leaving the technical away duties in the capable hands of Luis Boa Morte.

"We expected a little bit of the high pressure that Everton was doing the last few games at home. They have been really strong, apart from the game against Villa where they lost, they have been achieving good results and always creating a lot of problems for the opposition side with the high pressure every time. We knew that is something that we like to do as well, building from the back, and I think we did really well from the first minute of the game. We showed the personality and the character to play in our way, to not change many things.

Silva also adjusted his plan at half-time, with the Cottagers' second half display pushing Everton deeper into relegation trouble.

"We spoke at half-time, we changed some things slightly, and some things were important for us to prepare better for the second half, and our second half was a very good level. It was clear we controlled, from the beginning until the last moment. We scored twice, we had more chances, we prepared well from some set-pieces, and of course I'm pleased for that because it's not easy to come here and play the way we did, to control the second half from the first minute until the last one."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/04/silva-our-plan-came-together/

WhiteJC

Leeds United outcast gives Whites survival boost with first league goal in five months

Fulham boss Marco Silva praised Leeds United loanee Dan James after the Wales international scored in a makeshift striker role in Saturday's 3-1 victory at Everton

Forgotten Leeds United loanee Dan James gave his parent club a huge survival boost with his first Premier League goal in five months. The Fulham winger killed the contest at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon after scoring the final goal in the Cottagers' 3-1 victory over Everton.

Harrison Reed fired the visitors in front, only for Dwight McNeil to pull Sean Dyche's side level ahead of the break. However, Fulham made their second-half superiority count as they regained the lead through Harry Wilson before James' goal made the victory safe.

The loanee was handed a start as a makeshift striker in the absence of the suspended Aleksandar Mitrovic, with Andreas Pereira, Willian and Wilson in supporting roles. It is a role the Wales international fulfilled on several occasions at Elland Road under Marcelo Bielsa, and the 25-year-old delivered after latching on to a long free-kick and guiding the ball past Jordan Pickford.

Reflecting on his side's attack without Mitrovic, Fulham boss Marco Silva told BBC Sport: "We wanted to be more direct in some moments, to attack more in behind, to have more agile players to attack their backline. Harry Wilson and DJ [James] did it really well, and the quality of Willian on the other side gives us the chance to mix our game well."

The result means Everton remain two points adrift of Leeds and just one place above the relegation zone, having played a game more than the Whites. Javi Gracia's side return to action on Monday night at home to Liverpool, hoping to quickly bounce back from the heavy defeat to Crystal Palace in their last outing.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/dan-james-leeds-fulham-everton-26709258

WhiteJC

Marco Silva singles out two Fulham players who work so hard in training

Fulham manager Marco Silva has praised the hard work put in by Daniel James and Harry Wilson in training.

Speaking to the club's official website, Silva was pleased his finally got another win on the board.

After five defeats on the bounce in all competitions, something needed to change at Fulham.

Aleksandar Mitrovic's lengthy ban meant Silva had been searching for the right solution.

Although Carlos Vinicius fits the mould in that respect, he's not at the same level as the prolific Serbian.

There was plenty of intrigue among Fulham fans when Silva named Daniel James and Harry Wilson in yesterday's starting line-up.

The pair had hardly been used this season from the beginning of games but made all the difference.

The Welsh pair both got on the score sheet and helped Fulham finally clear the 40-point mark.

Silva praises Wilson and James conduct in training
Asked whether he was happy with the way James played up-front, Silva said: "Definitely, definitely.

"Not just him, I think him and Harry Wilson had a very good game.

"As I said, our two strikers, they don't have this profile. They attack more in behind, and in the last few games it's been a little bit more comfortable for some opposition sides to control the game.

"We have lacked some runs in behind and to punish them a little bit, and of course this game was important and that was the plan.

"Daniel James had a very good game, much better second half than the first.

"And Harry Wilson had a very good game from the first minute to the last.

"They deserve it as they've been working so hard on the training ground to get this chance. They got it, and they did well. I'm pleased for them because we're talking about two great professionals."

Daniel James and Harry Wilson have both struggled to break into Silva's team throughout the season.

James in particular will be disappointed that his loan spell from Leeds has quite gone to plan.

Wilson was a key part of Fulham's Championship winning squad, recording some brilliant numbers in the second tier.

However, an injury just before the season started has completely derailed his campaign.

The introduction of Willian and Manor Solomon has made minutes very hard to come by.

But Silva has clearly been impressed by how the pair have worked behind-the-scenes, and they got their rewards yesterday.

https://tbrfootball.com/marco-silva-singles-out-two-fulham-players-who-work-so-hard-in-training/

WhiteJC

'We want to finish as high as possible,' says Wilson
Harry Wilson says Fulham want to finish as high up the Premier League as possible after smashing their 40-point Premier League target with eight games to spare.

The Welsh winger, recalled to the starting line up at Goodison Park yesterday, fired Fulham in front early in the second half with his first league goal of the season as the Whites ended a five-match losing streak with a second successive win at Everton.

Wilson told Fulham's official website:

"Before the season started we set ourselves a target and I think we reached that today actually, so that's good. It was a massive game for us. We'd not been on the best run of late and we knew coming here that it was a must-win game for them, but it was for us as well because we wanted to get back to the levels that we've been at for most of the season. For the last couple of months we haven't been there, so today was great to get three goals and the win. For us now it's about finishing in that top half and as high up as we can."

The former Liverpool wide man felt his luck was out after missing a great early chance and hitting the base of the post in the build up to Harrison Reed's opener but he drilled home a brilliant ball from Willian to restore the visitors' lead.

"I missed one before that when one came to us on the edge of the box, so that was in the back of my mind and after the one hit the post, I wasn't sure if it was going to be my day. It was a great team move in the second half, and then Willi's cutback fell lovely for me. Then it was just about the connection. To score my first league goal of the season, which had been quite frustrating for me, was great."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/04/we-want-to-finish-as-high-as-possible-says-wilson/

WhiteJC

Positives and negatives: Everton 1-3 Fulham

A two-goal winning margin, Chelsea and Brentford losing, Saturday was truly black and white and Cam's here to let you all know about it.

Decades of nothingness at Goodison Park – those days are behind us. Nobody saw this result coming; we may have beaten Everton the last time we visited on Valentine's Day 2021, but two consecutive dubs on the blue half of Merseyside? That's unspeakable. We'd been terrible in games gone by, our season had seemingly hit an ebb, we couldn't envision three points on the road – not there – but the game works in mysterious ways and that's why we love it so intensely.

Marco Silva wasn't on the touchline, although another man who knows our hosts well, Luis Boa Morte, conducted on the gaffer's behalf and he instructed us to a sixth away victory of the season and that is a record for Fulham in the Premier League. Another milestone surpassed during the Silva era. Our support was vast and in fine voice, Sean Dyche's stubborn practice was swept aside, it really was an outing to savour and as we can all appreciate, weekends are infinitely better with three well-earned points to boot.

We've been there: the Toffees' predicament is terrifyingly familiar, but for the record I genuinely think the Blues are in serious trouble, and not even Dyche himself can bail them out. They were dreadful; they mounted a futile fightback and at home, a place that's intended to be a fortress, they were second best in every aspect. As they dangle a place above the drop zone, they've got to dig deeper and while I'm sympathetic, I'd rather it be them than us and as we're undeniably safe, we can offer our condolences with a wry smirk as we bask in the top 10. You Whites!

Positives
Silky, sexy football
We shaded possession away from home at a stadium that isn't meant to be kind to us but, as the score line speaks for itself, Fulham were very much in control at Goodison and for the most part, our passing sequences were sexy and our shape both with and without possession was regimented. A reaction was needed more than ever; we'd fizzled out of our previous meetings against teams we really should've troubled and as the Toffees stepped off in the early stages, the Whites set about dismantling Dyche's tentative game plan and to our utmost credit, we executed our own hypnotic procedures expertly.

The game shifted periodically, we momentarily lost our grip on matters, but even after Dwight McNeil equalised so emphatically, we reset, regrouped, and as Bernd Leno smothered clear-cut opportunities, Everton's belief shrunk as our persistence paid off. We were far more balanced than we have been, each department combined to synchronise our approach, from neatly formed triangles to long-range pings, Fulham had diversity, whereas Everton were detectable.

It was incredibly pleasing to witness Fulham knock the ball about with confidence, with purpose, and when we're enjoying ourselves as much as we did on Saturday, we're a side that can, and will, inflict pain on demand. Practical and pretty, the Whites surpassed that all-important 'magic 40' mark in silky style, it was complimentary to the English top-flight and its reputation for elite football and it's a collective performance that proves, unequivocally, that this Silva side is not on the beach and it is not as predictable as first thought.

Plan B Dan
Last week, as West Ham United came to town, Fulham's go-to option of shoving a lone striker up top really didn't go well at all. Carlos Vinicius is easily containable, our insistence to utilise him constricted our offensive invention and in the run-up to Saturday's encounter with Everton, we called for a solution and it ultimately entailed improvisation. Deploying a false nine hadn't always come to fruition but Silva, from his vantage point in the stands, was willing to give it another go and that's where Dan James came into view. If you blink, though, you'll miss him.

Behave – James leading the attack didn't scream resolve, it sobbed disaster, but it soon became apparent that through the middle, varying his movement from one flank to the next, the Toffees were not prepared and they were bundled into the passenger seat, belt-less, as the Wales international took them on a white-knuckle joyride to hell and back. Slipping in behind both James Tarkowski and Michael Keane, James's searing pace had the hosts back-paddling for dear life; they weren't equipped to withstand his interchangeable runs and speed and he was also present in each of the Whites' goals.

For our first, he nipped in ahead of James Garner to prod the ball into Harrison Reed's vicinity, he kept play moving pragmatically in the phase leading to the second and he sealed a comprehensive victory in the 68th minute with a calm stroke across the target. His first touch was fortunate as he watched the ball drop over his shoulder but Everton's central defenders were visibly rattled, they were helpless and they were nowhere near the Leeds United loanee as he drove it into the bottom left.

Prior to kick-off, I mused that James was going to morph into a prime Eden Hazard, 2017/18 edition, although I didn't think he was actually going to switch it on. Could he be the answer in Aleksandar Mitrovic's absence? Is he the embodiment of a convincing plan b? There's cause for debate but he certainly made his case known with aplomb and now he's got the masses begging for more of the same. He'll miss our meeting with Leeds, of course, so the experimentation continues and I cannot wait to see who gets the nod.

Wilson's punchy intent
Last season's Harry Wilson came out to play in the spring sunshine and as his Welsh compatriot ripped into the Toffees, the Liverpool academy graduate was also too hot to handle. Fielded on the right, Wilson retrieved possession and instantly dipped inside his marker, his nifty footwork was coupled by offensive intent and the hosts couldn't do a single thing to stop him from altering proceedings to his team's benefit.

The brainchild behind the opener, Wilson's readiness to commit was relieving and as his swirling effort crashed off the foot of the post, Everton's defensive line was compromised and the Whites took full advantage. The Blues were disturbed by Wilson's manipulation, they remorselessly hurled themselves into challenges to upend the reawakened winger but hard knocks and close shaves didn't discourage him as he scanned for vacant gaps to infiltrate.

Yes, all three of Fulham's defining strikes were extremely well worked and for our second, Harry's anticipation just before Willian's knock down was peerless. Rounding off a tasty pattern of play with a punchy net buster, Harry was already deserving of praise, he was everywhere he needed to be and he did all that was required of him but as he finally opened his PL account after months of obscurity during his drawn-out recovery from injury, his dormant game-changing quality was categorical and now, I sincerely hope he kicks on even further in the closing weeks of the schedule. Tell me, how does that song go again?

Toffees fail Tete test
We're biased, our opinion of Kenny Tete is always going to be glowing, however there probably isn't a right-back in the Premier League that's as reliable as the Dutchman at this instance and with livewires such as Demarai Gray to subdue, he wasn't going to resist the challenge. Gray's turn of pace is his greatest asset, he can spin full-backs into retirement if he's shown a green light but Tete put the dampeners on the winger's eagerness and moving forward, our dependable right-back was supportive and productive.

Touch-tight, antagonistic, Tete had the measure of the Toffees' attack along his right-hand side and his perception of potential danger was impeccable. He rolled his man repetitively, he shadowed runners stride for stride and he was economical with his passing. He tempered Fulham's control at the back, he was a constant option that was mindful of his positioning and though his crossing wasn't always on point, he contributed to our final two goals of the afternoon supremely.

He found Willian at the back stick with a cleaver dink, just before the Brazilian plated it up Wilson and he spotted James's dart, lifting an inviting ball into the attacker's path to construct the defining winner and the weight on it was flawless. It was his fifth assist of the campaign, his non-stop exertions at both ends are so, so crucial to Fulham's strategics and where other right-backs falter, Kenny flourishes. He is a professional that truly understands his function, he isn't lost in translation between attack and defence and he adapts to differing scenarios and opponents without indecision or delay. Not many sides pass the Tete test and Everton were his latest casualty.

Reed's clinical reward
In recent weeks, Reed hasn't necessarily been his all-action self in the middle of the park and in meetings where Fulham have faded, his time on the turf has often been cut short. Many doubt his top-flight credentials; he's a workaholic, and while he's certainly a trying defensive mind, his involvement at the business end's occasional and he is culprit to the odd mistake in basic scenarios. Then again, who isn't? There were moments where our double pivot of Joao Palhinha and Reed were ambushed, possession was snatched by Everton's press but they both snapped back immediately, although it's our number six's impact at higher altitude that's directing conversation.

Given his fundamental role, I suppose Reed isn't the first figure we should expect to rattle the stanchions, it just isn't his primary responsibility. But as Palhinha enabled him to roam, he weaved his way into promising positions and the manner in which he coolly slotted Saturday's opener past Jordan Pickford was enlightening, because as he's actually showcased previously, there's definite poise in the special one Iniesta's locker when he's lurking in the right place at the right time.

He now has three goals for the Whites this season, and that makes it three goals for the club in total, but it's a trio of masterfully dispatched finishes and the technique behind all of them is exceptional. Holding players really aren't supposed to slam the ball home with such conviction, they're meant to bundle in scrappy pokes within crowded penalty areas however Reed's timing and awareness has been refined and it has brought reward. Tireless, cooperative and clinical are the newest buzzwords associated with Harrison and they describe his outing on Merseyside entirely.

Negatives
Nothing of note
There's nothing of note I can possibly add to this article to make it a conventional positives and negatives. If you've anything you'd like to grumble at, be my guest. I'm all about good vibes today, baby, and I'll carry that with me throughout the working week and into our lunchtime affair with Leeds. Shove the highlights on, whack out the barbie, drink it all in and enjoy it while it lasts.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-04-16-positives-and-negatives-everton-1-3-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Cottagers close to signing Ola Aina

The right-back is set to make a return to Craven Cottage.

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Torino right-back Ola Aina, who will be available on a free transfer at the end of the season, according to a recent report from Tuttosport.

What's the latest Fulham transfer news?
The Cottagers have little to play for at this stage of the season, given that they are in no danger of being relegated, but in no position to make a late push for Europe, and manager Marco Silva has already started work on improving his squad.

Silva has been handed a boost in his pursuit of PSV Eindhoven midfielder Erick Gutierrez, as it has recently emerged the central midfielder could now be available this summer, while Mateus Uribe could also be targeted in the same position.

Fulham signed Cedric Soares on loan at the end of the January transfer window, however he has struggled for game time since arriving at Craven Cottage, and the club could re-enter the market for a new right-back in the summer market.

According to a report from Tuttosport (via Sport Witness), the Cottagers are insistent on signing Aina in the upcoming window, at which point he is set to leave Torino, upon the expiration of his contract.

The £30k-per-week right-back is one of ten players who are ready to leave the Serie A club at the end of the season, and he is now close to joining Fulham on a free transfer.

The Nigeria international spent the 2020-21 season at Craven Cottage, during which he made 31 appearances in the Premier League, and he now appears to be poised to make a return.

Should Fulham sign Ola Aina?
Fulham fans will know all about the "brilliant" 26-year-old's various qualities, most notably his attacking threat, ranking in the 97th percentile for successful take-ons per 90 in the past year, and in the 87th for progressive carries.

However, the full-back would not be an improvement on Kenny Tete defensively speaking, with Tete averaging far more tackles, interceptions and blocks per 90 in the same time period, while also weighing in with more assists.

Given Cedric's aforementioned inability to cement a place in the starting XI, it appears unlikely Silva will make a move for the Arsenal man in the summer, and therefore the Cottagers will need a new option at right-back.

However, Aina should only be brought in as a back-up for Tete, rather than as a regular first-team player.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-premier-league-ola-aina-transfer-news/

WhiteJC

Garth Crooks' Team of the Week: Stones, Fernandes, Enciso, Eze, Haaland

At the end of every Premier League round of fixtures, BBC football pundit Garth Crooks is on hand to give you his Team of the Week.

But who has he picked this time? Take a look and then pick your own team below and share it on social media. As ever, Garth also has his say on the game's big talking points in the Crooks of the Matter.

David de Gea (Manchester United): The most difficult period for a goalkeeper is when he has nothing to do and then is called upon at a moment's notice. If there is one goalkeeper capable of winning a match having spent a considerable amount of time out of the action it is David de Gea. His performance against a stubborn Nottingham Forest wasn't anything special but thoroughly dependable. De Gea has come a long way since the days he was talking about returning to his native Spain. The former international should now be the Manchester United club captain - he's earned it.

Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa): This was an impressive performance by Aston Villa. Two things stood out in this fixture: firstly, Aston Villa have been transformed under Unai Emery, and secondly, Newcastle United are not ready for the Champions League even if they do achieve a top-four place. Villa, on the other hand, look like a side who have unravelled all the complicated football and play the simple game. The player who seems to have benefited under this new regime is Tyrone Mings. The England international looks as good as I've seen him for some time. Simply doing what he does best, and that is just to compete. If he keeps playing like that a swift return to the England set-up could be on the horizon.

Diogo Dalot (Manchester United): Manchester United were one of the few teams that kept a clean sheet this weekend, but what was special about it was United are ravaged by injuries. Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot have not featured regularly in the first team this season, but you wouldn't have known that the way they performed against Nottingham Forest. Dalot was outstanding in defence and always supportive in attack and took his goal like a seasoned striker. All credit to Erik ten Hag, who has not just transformed the team but the entire squad since Cristiano Ronaldo's departure. Getting rid of Ronaldo was key to that.

John Stones (Manchester City): This is a player who has done very well to survive at Manchester City. Pep Guardiola places serious demands on his defenders and not putting the ball at risk is one of them. Not only is John Stones a better defender under the direction of the best coach in the world, but a much better footballer. Stones no longer takes ridiculous amounts of touches in a deliberate attempt to provoke strikers into trying to steal the ball from him before passing it on to a team-mate without a care in the world about the time he has left his team-mate to deal with the problem. It made Stones look good but with little consideration for his team. These days I seldom see Stones have more than two touches whenever he's on the ball, and sometimes only one touch in the bigger games - the ball moves on. He has now earned a place further up the field in Guardiola's team which is a further indication of the trust his manager has placed in him. I wonder if this is something England manager Gareth Southgate might consider.

Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United): It's good to see Christian Eriksen back in a Manchester United shirt and playing alongside Casemiro and Bruno Fernandes so effectively. They are all top-class players and on their day match-winners. Fernandes, however, was the standout midfield player against Nottingham Forest. The Portugal international is not everyone's cup of tea but when he's on his game he's as good as any midfielder in the country. As for the East Midlands club they are no longer the soft touch they were at the start of the season. Steve Cooper has assembled a team that still might survive.

Harry Wilson (Fulham): It would appear normal service has resumed with the Cottagers. Their performance against Everton at Goodison Park seemed controlled and professional, which is a far cry from what we saw at Old Trafford some weeks ago. Most importantly Fulham have learned a valuable lesson after their trip to Manchester United, and that is to remain focused whatever the circumstances. Harry Wilson epitomised that feature and played a masterful role in their victory over a poor Everton. Sean Dyche is right - Everton have fallen back into old habits and it's his job to make sure it doesn't continue.

Julio Enciso (Brighton): How come Brighton can find talent at a fraction of the price Chelsea pay and still produce better results? All credit to Brighton - they have three mini-superstars in the midst. Kaoru Mitoma is having a magnificent season, Evan Ferguson is a sensational prospect and now Julio Enciso, the 19-year-old from Paraguay who ripped the heart out of Chelsea with a magnificent strike. Chelsea could complain about this fixture being played on Saturday and not Sunday because of their midweek Champions League fixture with Real Madrid, but I wouldn't advise it. They have enough international players to field three teams. Graham Potter and Frank Lampard's failure to handle the resources available to them is telling. The ability to rotate the squad while competing for European glory and keeping pace with domestic matters at the same time is key to the success for any manager at a big club. There is no doubt the defeat in Madrid took its toll, but Chelsea have the resources to cope with that.

Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace): Victories against Leeds United and now Southampton have not convinced me that Patrick Vieira could not have won these games, having played the teams above them and done all the hard work by putting 27 points on the board, before he was unceremoniously sacked by Crystal Palace. Vieira's departure only serves to suggest something more than results was responsible for his exit. What I do find interesting is his departure has not affected the team's performance in any way - in fact they look a happier bunch. Against Leeds it was Michael Olise who caught the eye, and Eberechi Eze, who has been flirting with stardom for some time, who destroyed Southampton. Six points in two games under Roy Hodgson has virtually secured the Eagles' position in the Premier League, but Hodgson is almost as old as time itself and can't go on forever. So what happens now?

Erling Haaland (Manchester City): They destroyed Bayern Munich in midweek and then did the same to Leicester City with half the fuss and minimum effort. Manchester City and in particular Erling Haaland are firing on all cylinders. They have one foot in the semi-finals of the Champions League with the return leg at Allianz Arena a formality, then there's the prospect of them meeting Arsenal at Etihad Stadium on 26 April where, should they win, the Premier League title would be theirs to lose. However, there is no doubt in my mind City are a much more 'attractive' team without Erling Haaland, but get this: they won't win the Champions League or the title without him.

Dominic Solanke (Bournemouth): He was very unfortunate not to make my team selection last week after terrorising Leicester City at King Power Stadium. Dominic Solanke is not just leading the line for Bournemouth, he is looking every inch a quality player. It may have taken him a while, but he is certainly looking the part now. The striker exposed Tottenham's lack of professionalism and their inability to get the job done having gone ahead as early as the 14th minute. This can't go on. Tottenham's season is falling apart. They have sacked Antonio Conte for telling the truth about his team and the culture of the club, and installed coach Cristian Stellini as interim manager because chairman Daniel Levy hasn't got a clue what to do next. Well, permit me to give him a little advice: install Mauricio Pochettino immediately to bolster the fans and reassure the players on a contract until the end of the season. If he can secure Spurs a top-four spot he gets a big, fat bonus and a two-year contract and enough time to win a trophy or he's gone. Is that difficult?

Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa): I hadn't compared Ollie Watkins to Callum Wilson before, but like Southgate the fixture between Aston Villa and Newcastle presented the perfect opportunity. The England manager, watching from the stands, must have been left in no doubt that Watkins' form has blossomed since the World Cup and Wilson's has suffered. Two well-taken goals and Watkins walks off the pitch to a standing ovation. I would have been looking for the hat-trick myself, but it seems that the modern game is all about preservation. Watkins is in a rich vein of form and his manager will do whatever it takes to protect his top striker between now and the end of the season. Bringing him off to rousing applause might not replace the hat-trick, but it came mighty close.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65294896

demeant0r

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 17, 2023, 08:55:07 AMFulham: Cottagers close to signing Ola Aina

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Torino right-back Ola Aina, who will be available on a free transfer at the end of the season, according to a recent report from Tuttosport.

The Cottagers have little to play for at this stage of the season, given that they are in no danger of being relegated, but in no position to make a late push for Europe, and manager Marco Silva has already started work on improving his squad.

Silva has been handed a boost in his pursuit of PSV Eindhoven midfielder Erick Gutierrez, as it has recently emerged the central midfielder could now be available this summer, while Mateus Uribe could also be targeted in the same position.

Fulham signed Cedric Soares on loan at the end of the January transfer window, however he has struggled for game time since arriving at Craven Cottage, and the club could re-enter the market for a new right-back in the summer market.

According to a report from Tuttosport (via Sport Witness), the Cottagers are insistent on signing Aina in the upcoming window, at which point he is set to leave Torino, upon the expiration of his contract.

The £30k-per-week right-back is one of ten players who are ready to leave the Serie A club at the end of the season, and he is now close to joining Fulham on a free transfer.

The Nigeria international spent the 2020-21 season at Craven Cottage, during which he made 31 appearances in the Premier League, and he now appears to be poised to make a return.

Fulham fans will know all about the "brilliant" 26-year-old's various qualities, most notably his attacking threat, ranking in the 97th percentile for successful take-ons per 90 in the past year, and in the 87th for progressive carries.

However, the full-back would not be an improvement on Kenny Tete defensively speaking, with Tete averaging far more tackles, interceptions and blocks per 90 in the same time period, while also weighing in with more assists.

Given Cedric's aforementioned inability to cement a place in the starting XI, it appears unlikely Silva will make a move for the Arsenal man in the summer, and therefore the Cottagers will need a new option at right-back.

However, Aina should only be brought in as a back-up for Tete, rather than as a regular first-team player.

I would love to have Aina back. He would be an amazing back up.

ianthailand

Quote from: demeant0r on April 17, 2023, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on April 17, 2023, 08:55:07 AMFulham: Cottagers close to signing Ola Aina

I would love to have Aina back. He would be an amazing back up.
No argument from me providing his wages are reasonable. Can play various positions, a bit of a Bairdhino in fact.