watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

James

Started by wback, April 17, 2023, 10:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wback

There are definitely times when James looks technically suspect, and his calmness isn't always there (though was spot on on Saturday). But... it does feel like we might have landed on something by playing him through the middle/false 9.

He's never really had this role at Man Utd or Leeds, where both teams assumed that, because he's fairly slight, and his conversion rate isn't great, he should play wide instead.

By having him drop off, then burn through the defensive line, he helps drag the opposition away from their 18 yard box and creates space in behind. He's no Michael Owen or Thierry Henry, but he does have real speed and this should create opportunities, particularly as we have plenty of speed with Robinson/Willian and Wilson/Tete (my main worry for this season was that we would be too slow, compared to the rest of the league, but we've handled that aspect ok).

The risks for us are twofold:

1) Against more lumbering defenders and in the absence of any strong midfield press, we can play out and use this approach. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to come across this very often at this level (ironically, Liverpool might be the only game left this season where you might say that was going to be the case). With quicker defenders and CMs, we'll lose the ball more with no-one available to 'hold it up'.

2) If we can't play out, we'll have to hit even longer balls over the top to try and get beyond the CBs and have him chase them down. If it works, ok. If it doesn't, our possession stats will be awful, and we'll load pressure onto ourselves.

Clearly though, we needed to change it up, we did, and it worked. Well done all involved.

Craven_Chris

I was wondering what a pairing with Mitro would look like... With Mitro dropping deep and also winning balls in the air, and James stretching the defence over the top?

In my mind that's unplayable but I am probably getting carried away from seeing 1 game of James against a terrible defence!

wback

Quote from: Craven_Chris on April 17, 2023, 10:17:12 AMI was wondering what a pairing with Mitro would look like... With Mitro dropping deep and also winning balls in the air, and James stretching the defence over the top?

I guess we like the 4-3-3, and this leans 4-4-2ish?

You could see from the first goal the advantage of having someone truly wide on both sides, as the ball was switched to Wilson in space and he cut inside (a move which gives us overlapping fullbacks on both sides, and offers us more protection if we need it). Almost everyone plays 4-3-3 these days (Everton started 4-4-2 and it didn't work), so probably better to try and match up systems and go from there.

As a result, I guess we might never know whether Mitro can pull off a flick-on. He's built around his upper body strength, holding off the defender, bringing it down and laying it off. His best equivalent move is when he ramps it off his right foot out to the left wing to free the winger on that side...

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: wback on April 17, 2023, 10:03:44 AMThere are definitely times when James looks technically suspect, and his calmness isn't always there (though was spot on on Saturday). But... it does feel like we might have landed on something by playing him through the middle/false 9.

He's never really had this role at Man Utd or Leeds, where both teams assumed that, because he's fairly slight, and his conversion rate isn't great, he should play wide instead.

By having him drop off, then burn through the defensive line, he helps drag the opposition away from their 18 yard box and creates space in behind. He's no Michael Owen or Thierry Henry, but he does have real speed and this should create opportunities, particularly as we have plenty of speed with Robinson/Willian and Wilson/Tete (my main worry for this season was that we would be too slow, compared to the rest of the league, but we've handled that aspect ok).

The risks for us are twofold:

1) Against more lumbering defenders and in the absence of any strong midfield press, we can play out and use this approach. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to come across this very often at this level (ironically, Liverpool might be the only game left this season where you might say that was going to be the case). With quicker defenders and CMs, we'll lose the ball more with no-one available to 'hold it up'.

2) If we can't play out, we'll have to hit even longer balls over the top to try and get beyond the CBs and have him chase them down. If it works, ok. If it doesn't, our possession stats will be awful, and we'll load pressure onto ourselves.

Clearly though, we needed to change it up, we did, and it worked. Well done all involved.

2) Vinicius is no good at holding the ball up anyway, so nothing lost there. Time will tell whether James is the answer whilst Mitro is out, but it's a great start.

FFC1987

Let me preface this comment by saying, I have a soft spot for James. I remember watching him for Wales a few years back and thinking this kid could be the next big thing but as time went on, I lowered my expectations and when he came to us, I did think, with Silva, he could really kick start his career.

I'd love to keep him but he's wrapped in contracts where Leeds, won't be accepting anything short of £20m (if that) I don't think, and he'll continue to be loaned out for a small fee, whilst winding down his contract. I'd love for us to sign him for say, £10m tops but it simply won't happen. He's on a £30m contract with good length still and Leeds would be silly, unless in financial ruin to create loss provisions on the books just so James can play elsewhere.

I watched his interview at end of world cup about his personal issues, and it did resonate with me that, he's a good lad, weighed down by stupidly high expectations from outside forces and now, when he's trying to find his feet, it's likely he'll just keep becoming unsettled when, in reality, the best thing for him, is a good home to ply and learn his trade where he's happy. I feel like we'd be that and we could really see an uptick and some fulfilling of his potential. Not suggesting he's the next coming, but on form or not, he does add a raw pace to this squad which, circumstantially, can be vitally important throughout a season.

Long and short, would love to sign him, but just don't want it happening due to the value of his contract against value he brings.

Free Elvis Hammond

One of the real strengths of an in-form Wilson is he's very good at holding the ball up, out wide or central - so with him and Willian both able to do that, I think we can afford to have someone a bit more unpredictable like James

James over Vinicius gets more out of Pereira too, gives him options, rather than have him trying to launch cross after cross in from deep, to someone standing in the wrong place

Black, White and Fred

James definitely gave his all yesterday, full commitment even if it meant drawing late challenges after moving the ball on. Can't fault him for that.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

filham

Up to now James has been only little game time but has failed to impress in spite of aew few occasions when he has demonstrated his pace.
Clearly James has pace and if that can be put to good use then he is a potential match winner.
I hope we now continue with the tactics employed against Everton for the next few matches with the front three positions being shared among Willian, James Wilson and Solomon and employing Periera or Cairney behind them. This should give James the opportunity to show whether he is worth a contract at the Cottage.
I hope it works out for him as we are not going to find another player with his pace.

welsh_white

I was so happy with both James and Wilson on the weekend. Feel like Harry Wilson hasn't been the same since his injury at the start of the season and both of them were really rattled after their disappointment at the world cup. Wilson in particular had a good international break with Wales and I hope they both have regained their confidence now and we could see some really great play from both of them going forward

Lordedmundo

He has the pace of Michael Owen - but not quite the composure or ball control! But certainly worth giving him a few more games in that position.

The next opposition (Villa - as he cannot play against Leeds) will be more prepared however, so it will interesting to see if he can get on the ball as he did against a poor Everton side.

That was his best performance of his season by far. The problem is - I rate him as the 5th best winger at the club, so unless he is incredibly prolific as a striker  he should go back to Leeds at the end of the season. There is no way we should pay £18m for him.

It will be interesting to see who goes up front against Leeds. I guess Bobby is the obvious choice, but I wonder if he will try Manor there? Personally I think Manor should instead get some game time in Pereira's position (whether as sub or starter) - his stats as an attacking midfielder are pretty good and he has played in that position many times at international level..

wback

Quote from: Lordedmundo on April 17, 2023, 02:09:51 PMThe next opposition (Villa - as he cannot play against Leeds) will be more prepared however, so it will interesting to see if he can get on the ball as he did against a poor Everton side.

Actually expect us to go back to Vinicius for Leeds, then return to James for Villa. We should be quite confident against Leeds, having beaten them twice already.

I watched Villa on Sat and they were excellent, that one will be particularly tough, though (Saturday's) James vs. Mings might be a good battle.

filham

Quote from: wback on April 17, 2023, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Lordedmundo on April 17, 2023, 02:09:51 PMThe next opposition (Villa - as he cannot play against Leeds) will be more prepared however, so it will interesting to see if he can get on the ball as he did against a poor Everton side.

Actually expect us to go back to Vinicius for Leeds, then return to James for Villa. We should be quite confident against Leeds, having beaten them twice already.

I watched Villa on Sat and they were excellent, that one will be particularly tough, though (Saturday's) James vs. Mings might be a good battle.
No way should we go back to Vinicius against Leeds , it has been seen not to work in more than the odd game.
Unfortunate that James can't play but the options are, BDR or Solomon.

wback

Quote from: filham on April 17, 2023, 03:35:11 PMNo way should we go back to Vinicius against Leeds , it has been seen not to work in more than the odd game.
Unfortunate that James can't play but the options are, BDR or Solomon.

Neither of those offer us anything at 9 either though. They don't have the pace to get away or spin into the channels. Not so much 'false 9' as 'no 9 at all'. Remember that V was involved in setting up our goal at Bournemouth. Wasn't his fault we lost that game. He's clearly not good enough, but having been dropped, he should be doubly motivated to give it one last shot.

perry geyton

James was really good on Saturday there's no denying it but can he do it on the regular ? I think not, which has been his problem throughout his career....

It's interesting to see what Marco will do against Leeds, I think he will revert back to Carlos,

perry geyton

I wonder if Wilson could play the roll of the false 9

davew

Why not try Willian as the central striker, anybody but Vinny thanks!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

copthornemike

The false number 9 experiment using James was as unexpectedly successful, in contrast using Vinicius as the sole forward from the start has been unsuccessful.
Maybe Pereira might start off as a false number 9, with Willian & a reinvigorated Wilson buzzing around a recently cumbersome Leeds defence, might just be the ticket.
Both Liverpool & Palace used multiple quick forwards very successfully.
Another West Spam display of throwing wide crosses in willy nilly could play into Leeds hands.
A quick start on the front foot without leaving ourselves open to quick counterattacks please.

perry geyton

Quote from: copthornemike on April 18, 2023, 08:59:48 PMThe false number 9 experiment using James was as unexpectedly successful, in contrast using Vinicius as the sole forward from the start has been unsuccessful.
Maybe Pereira might start off as a false number 9, with Willian & a reinvigorated Wilson buzzing around a recently cumbersome Leeds defence, might just be the ticket.
Both Liverpool & Palace used multiple quick forwards very successfully.
Another West Spam display of throwing wide crosses in willy nilly could play into Leeds hands.
A quick start on the front foot without leaving ourselves open to quick counterattacks please.

I like that with TC playing behind him

jayffc

If anyone it should be Solomon or BDR up top surely?

BDR has played there before plenty of times and Solomon is pacey and can hold onto the ball very well if delivered to feet in the area...

Would rather either of these to Vinicius to be honest

ashteadFFC

Bobby or Manor up front. Bobby has played in this position before - not sure Manor has.