watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dan James Back heel assist

Started by jayffc, April 17, 2023, 03:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

Suprised no one seems to be mentioning the quality assist from Dan James for Reid's goal.

It looks very deliberate to me, he gets his body in front of the ball and appears to deliberately backheel drag the ball into Reids path, quick thinking and real quality...

watch the above in slow motion half speed on that clip. That's intentional you see how he drags the back foot and immediately looks to see if it went to Harrison on his way down to the floor. Good on him, he's been poor generally be really helped win us the game on all fronts on Saturday.

Hope this turns a corner for him!

RaySmith

Great stuff from Dan, agree that it was a conscious back heel, and he went in where it hurts with really quick reactions to get to the ball first, and take a knock as he backheeled it to Reed.

Well done Dan, always knew he was quality, and more than just pace, though that is such an asset.
I think Silva may have seen his potential as a striker when he's sent him on late in games, when we're defending a result, or trying to get a result, and he's run at defenders taking them on, and keeping them occupied, in the case of defending a result, and creating scoring chances when we want a result.

bog

Yes I saw that. Dan first came on the scene at Swansea with his blistering pace. Giggs as Wales manager recommended him to Man Ure and after he arrived there his father unexpectedly passed away and this affected his game. Then he didn't do much at Leeds. I just hope he gets going again with us and we sign him. Alongside Mitro he could be lethal.  ::thumb::

::oldgit::       

filham

James and Wilson came out of that match smelling of roses.

Holders

I wondered who flicked it on then went to ground. Assumed it must have been James. Interested to see this same line-up a few more times and hope it wasn't just a flash in the pan.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

perry geyton

I spotted it straight away, super impressive, not even the commentators mentioned it, they saw it as a deflection/bit of luck
I doubt if it was Bruno Fernandez they'd of said the same thing

e4b

A thing of beauty. Great vision and footballing brain.

Chi_FFC

And while not as impressive/consequential as the assist on the first goal, he played a role in the second with his run and little pass to Reed as he was being closed down by two defenders. Really nice performance from him on Saturday.

Southcoastffc

I thought at the time that the back heel was a superb bit of skill but then couldn't decide, despite having watched countless replays, whether or not it was deliberate.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bog

Sadly Dan cannot play Saturday v Leeds

::oldgit:: 

Carborundum

The showreel has the first goal from about four different camera angles, of which the most illuminating is from behind the other goal. Looks a deliberate back heel to me and, as mentioned above, a brave one.  He's got previous form for showing little regard for personal safety - the penalty he won against Southampton was wince- inducing.  Starting to rather like him.

Whitestone

If Messi had done it the media would be all over it. It was a bit of quality from James.

Blawarmy

Quote from: Whitestone on April 17, 2023, 10:17:51 PMIf Messi had done it the media would be all over it. It was a bit of quality from James.

Bang on.  I was thinking exactly the same myself. Fantastic bit of skill! 

Pluto

Fair play to James. I've been critical but he caused their defenders no end of problems at the weekend. The low balls to his feet or for him to run on to were a tactical masterpiece from Marco too. We should stick with this 'plan B' at least until we get Mitro back.

YankeeJim

I've watched the replays several times. He does appear to try the backheel but I think he missed with the intended foot and it came off his other foot straight to Reed. I could be wrong. He did seem to glance over his shoulder to see where the ball went. Good on the lad! I'm calling it an assist. He deserves it.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

jayffc

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 18, 2023, 04:18:24 AMI've watched the replays several times. He does appear to try the backheel but I think he missed with the intended foot and it came off his other foot straight to Reed. I could be wrong. He did seem to glance over his shoulder to see where the ball went. Good on the lad! I'm calling it an assist. He deserves it.

Definately an assist (was it credited as one?)

The first leg isn't attempting to win the ball it's deliberately stepping over it and in front of the player to shield the ball, putting his body in between their defender and the ball so he cant clear it...that way if he's fouled it's a penalty even if he missed the backheel ,which he doesn't, he drags the back left heel right toward the ball in a motion that squares it .. it certainly looks very much intentional to me.

Been critical of James but that's an absolutely quality assist.

Either way. Great result...let's hope we can steam into Leeds game similarly. Tough couple games after that!

Southcoastffc

DJ was credited with an assist.  Sadly, King Kenny wasn't for DJs goal despite his glorious, quick thinking, free kick pass. DJ brought the ball down and it brushed off a defender.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Bassey the warrior

Not entirely sure it was intentional, but either way it worked out beautifully.

Free Elvis Hammond

100% he means it. Great vision and execution

vancouver

Would be a great option off the bench next year if he's available for a reasonable fee.