more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Villa pre-match thread

Started by SerbianLad, April 24, 2023, 09:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

A topic to discuss the upcoming game.

I'll start by saying that Villa fans seem overconfident and arrogant, I've seen a lot of comments that say how they'll easily beat us 3/4/5-0. Also everyone talks about them being in the race for Europe while we have nothing to play for, but if we beat them and win our game in hand, we'll be ahead of them on goal difference. It reminds me of the second time we played Brighton this season, hopefully the result will be similar this time around.

My lineup for this match:

Leno
Tete Tosin Ream Robinson
    Reed Palhinha
Wilson Pereira Willian
        James

Thailand Mick

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 24, 2023, 09:31:25 AMA topic to discuss the upcoming game.

I'll start by saying that Villa fans seem overconfident and arrogant, I've seen a lot of comments that say how they'll easily beat us 3/4/5-0. Also everyone talks about them being in the race for Europe while we have nothing to play for, but if we beat them and win our game in hand, we'll be ahead of them on goal difference. It reminds me of the second time we played Brighton this season, hopefully the result will be similar this time around.

My lineup for this match:

Leno
Tete Tosin Ream Robinson
    Reed Palhinha
Wilson Pereira Willian
        James
nothing changes they were the same before the play off final and we soon put them in their place. Their results since dick Emery took over would have them third in the table but the lowest team from their remaining fixtures is wolves.

peter w

We're not over confident but yes we're arrogant. if we play to our best we'll beat you. if we don't we won't. There is an air of optimism at villa park that has radiated out of the depths of the rubbish we've endured for the best part of 10 years so excuse us whilst we get carried away with being what we see as being a return to our 'rightful' place. Yes, I'll get pulled apart for that but we are just excitable fans after all.

The game won't be easy and at this stage of the season when there is stuff riding on it there's always the chance that the pressure can get to the players. Although you're not out of the run for Europe you kind of are. We need to win to keep our challenge going, if we don't then 8th is probably where we'll finish and best.

Over the past few seasons the home teams tend to win these fixtures so I'm glad we're at home, but we looked a little leggy at Brentford and with little time for recuperation I think we may come in for a harder game than would be expected if we had a full week between games.

I think a draw or worse (from a Villa perspective) if martinez is out as Olsen is truly terrible. But we need the 3 points. 1-1.

We Are Premier League

Think we can catch them before the end of the season if we get three points...they looked really poor their last game so hopefully it will be a similar performance.

Sgt Fulham

They have always been a very arrogant fan base, particularly considering that they've done nothing for many years. They go in as favourites, but if they think it will be a walk in the park, they're dreaming.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Thailand Mick on April 24, 2023, 09:36:35 AMnothing changes they were the same before the play off final and we soon put them in their place. Their results since dick Emery took over would have them third in the table but the lowest team from their remaining fixtures is wolves.

Hopefully we do. I actually don't mind Emery. I think he's one of the most underrated managers too. I was sure they'll stay up when they appointed him.

Quote from: We Are Premier League on April 24, 2023, 09:47:12 AMThink we can catch them before the end of the season if we get three points...they looked really poor their last game so hopefully it will be a similar performance.
Me too. It will be a very tough game, but if we can snatch a win we should be able to finish above them. Looking at the respective fixtures we have easier games left and a win in this match would be a huge morale boost as well.

bog

Sorry but whenever we play at Villa Park this old sod always recalls the daylight robbery of 1962....  ::tongue::

::oldgit::

SerbianLad

Quote from: peter w on April 24, 2023, 09:38:55 AMif we play to our best we'll beat you. if we don't we won't.
This implies that you have a much better team than us which simply isn't true. Why are we so close in the table if you're so much better? If we play at our best you won't beat us.

FFC1987

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 24, 2023, 10:24:07 AM
Quote from: peter w on April 24, 2023, 09:38:55 AMif we play to our best we'll beat you. if we don't we won't.
This implies that you have a much better team than us which simply isn't true. Why are we so close in the table if you're so much better? If we play at our best you won't beat us.

It's a tough one.....I think the poster on this occasion is correct as we have to take into consideration, Fulham, at our best, has Mitrovic up top. if we go through the team, there's a solid argument that we have (as they do) better players in individual positions, but without Mitrovic, we simply aren't at our best whereas unless im unaware, Villa have little to no serious injuries?

SerbianLad

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 24, 2023, 10:26:33 AM

It's a tough one.....I think the poster on this occasion is correct as we have to take into consideration, Fulham, at our best, has Mitrovic up top. if we go through the team, there's a solid argument that we have (as they do) better players in individual positions, but without Mitrovic, we simply aren't at our best whereas unless im unaware, Villa have little to no serious injuries?
There's some truth in this, but we beat Brighton without Mitrovic for example and we didn't even play well. We completely outplayed Manchester United without Mitro earlier in the season,etc. They may beat us, but I just think that what he said was again, arrogant. It's by no means that if they play at their best we have no chance of getting anything out of the game.

FFC1987

Quote from: SerbianLad on April 24, 2023, 10:30:20 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on April 24, 2023, 10:26:33 AM

There's some truth in this, but we beat Brighton without Mitrovic for example and we didn't even play well. We completely outplayed Manchester United without Mitro earlier in the season,etc. They may beat us, but I just think that what he said was again, arrogant. It's by no means that if they play at their best we have no chance of getting anything out of the game.

Appreciate that, but I bet if we look back at match day prediction threads, we as fans say the same against most teams really. Villa don't seem unique in having that view. I do understand your point to some degree though.

filham

Well we all know Villa have underperformed for years, with their history, stadium and fan base they should be a top six team.
At last they are showing a bit of form and their excited fans are coming out of the woodwork.

Fulham will give them a good game but hard to see us taking three points without Mitro.

The Fulham line up just has to be as our last game but with James replacing BDR as the lone striker with Solomon and Cairney ready as 60 minute impact subs.

Twig

I don't think there's anything between us and Villa when we both have our preferred starting eleven available. However we lack Mitro and that's a big miss no matter how well we have begun to cope without him.
Stupid predictions by some of their fans of easy 3,4,5-0 wins are just daft nonsense. I don't think that makes the entire fan base arrogant. In fact I had great banter with their supporters both before and after that play off final and no recriminations from them.
With the game being at Villa and us without Mitro they clearly start as favourites but we have what it takes to nick a win on the day and I really think we might do it.

peter w

There are quite a few variables and caveats, one being that we are at home which in games between the two tends to be crucial. At the moment we are in better form (taken over any period from Jan 1st onwards), scoring more goals, conceding fewer, and with a forward in top form, all of which suggests that if all those variables are at their peak we will win. But of course football isn't always like that as just us being slightly off it will allow you to take control of certain areas and impose your game on us, which is what makes the game difficult and hence why I have gone for a draw.

As for injuries: We have martinez maybe out (if so i wouldn't fancy us to win); Matty Cash will be out; Kamara will be out so that's definitely 2 maybe 3 starters missing. Coutinho is also out long term.

SerbianLad

Quote from: peter w on April 24, 2023, 10:52:27 AMus being slightly off it
This is the only part I disagree with. You and some other posters make valid points and I too think you're clear favourites at the moment. But I just don't think you're that much better than us that you'll win if you're at your best regardless of how well we play, even without Mitro and with you being the home team. If we're both at our best I think it could go either way.

Regardless, I hope it will be a good game, and as I said many times before, I think Emery is one of the most underrated managers in the world and you're a very good team at the moment.

ffc73

I would like to win but if we are to lose one of the next two away games I'd opt for defeat at Villa Park & win at Anfield.

If nothing else, it would help in stopping Liverpool, & possibly Spurs, from qualifying for any European competition next season.

Pride in Fulham

Think it will be a close game ,if billa go for it it will allow us to attack at speed .going  for 2-2 .
Will be my first time back at villa since the cup semi

WindyCity

Villa is one of those teams I love to hate.  Can't stand 'em.  Arrogant tools, in my brief experience with Villa fans.  Hope we beat them.  To their credit, they have been on a terrific run of form, and have shown to be a worthy opponent, and it will take any team their very best to beat them.  Will be a very tough game for FFC, an away point would be welcome.

All that said, if Villa (or BHA) can keep Spurs, L'pool and Chelsea out of European competition that would be fine with me.  Would love FFC to finish above Chelsea (right now looks favorable) regardless how Europe plays out.  COYW!