watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR National Anthem

Started by Dienikes, May 06, 2023, 12:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dienikes

It will be interesting to see and hear the reaction of the Liverpool fans to the national anthem before the Liverpool v Brentford game today.  According to John Gibbons from The Anfield Wrap podcast, as reported by the BBC:

"Different people will have different views but, generally, Liverpool is out of step with the rest of the country in that we'd prefer to be a republic:

"It's galling when the country is going through what it is. There will be foodbanks outside the ground when millions are being spent on the coronation in London.

"There are people in this city who can't afford to eat when millions are being spent on putting a crown on someone's head, it's a preposterous situation."

With regard to the point about the cost, maybe the podcaster should show some self-awareness and reflect on the many millions of pounds lavished each week on the Liverpool players and the football club if he is truly worried about the poverty to which he refers. The running costs of Liverpool Football Club would more than cover the costs of helping the poorer in society. Just cut the wages by half and reallocate all that money.

If Liverpool wants to become a republic, let it, as far as I am concerned. As for the UK becoming a republic, there are reasonable arguments for and against, but booing the Royal Family and the National Anthem says more about those who boo than the targets of their fury.

Lighthouse

The hypocrisy of those that want to pick and choose what expense to abolish and what to vote for has always been mad to me. Liverpool has never been a very well run City and their football club has relied on the blind loyalty of their fans while happily exploiting them for every penny.

The National Anthem is just as way to signify that people belong to the same nation. Not a rallying call for any other weird argument or cause. Nobody is made to sing it. Or stand for it. A Liverpool fan with their tribal loyalty are not the best people to listen to for sensible debate.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

I gather that this strong feeling in Liverpool against the National Anthem and Royalty is quit long standing. Does anyone know the reason for it, did something special happen there.

Ludlow Richard

The Liverpool booing is all about what is perceived as the establishment's reaction to (and handling of) Hillsborough. The monarchy is seen as part of the establishment, hence the booing.

If Liverpool fans want to be a republic, will they all be at work on Monday on a bank holiday granted to celebrate the coronation? Of course not.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Nick Bateman

Liverpool are a disgrace and a stain to the Premier League. They should be deducted points instead of all the penalties and handballs in their favour and I'm still awaiting the FA's sanction decision on Klopp's referee rant and bullying on a 4th official who did nothing. It's a comparison to how they treated Marco Silva.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

davew

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 06, 2023, 06:20:26 PMLiverpool are a disgrace and a stain to the Premier League. They should be deducted points instead of all the penalties and handballs in their favour and I'm still awaiting the FA's sanction decision on Klopp's referee rant and bullying on a 4th official who did nothing. It's a comparison to how they treated Marco Silva.
Nick please don't hold your breath waiting for the FA!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Somerset Fulham

He had until yesterday to respond to the charge didn't he?

Nick Bateman

Quote from: davew on May 06, 2023, 07:15:37 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 06, 2023, 06:20:26 PMLiverpool are a disgrace and a stain to the Premier League. They should be deducted points instead of all the penalties and handballs in their favour and I'm still awaiting the FA's sanction decision on Klopp's referee rant and bullying on a 4th official who did nothing. It's a comparison to how they treated Marco Silva.
Nick please don't hold your breath waiting for the FA!

At least Van Dyke showed a little class in his disdain to the boos. Well done to him!

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

SP

I noticed Henderson was half heartedly singing the anthem which surprised me, eyes on a media career perhaps?

filham

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on May 06, 2023, 04:35:05 PMThe Liverpool booing is all about what is perceived as the establishment's reaction to (and handling of) Hillsborough. The monarchy is seen as part of the establishment, hence the booing.

If Liverpool fans want to be a republic, will they all be at work on Monday on a bank holiday granted to celebrate the coronation? Of course not.
[/quote

Fully understand how they feel about Hillsborough but to blame Royalty makes no sense

Shredhead

This isn't NFR because won't they play the National Anthem before tomorrow's game?
I doubt I'll protest or boo, but I won't be standing or singing.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Dienikes

I expected some booing, but I did not anticipate the intensity and almost visceral nature of it.  No way of knowing whether it was an especially vociferous minority or a majority of the crowd, but it sounded like the latter. The sense of Liverpudlian self-pity has reached totally irrational levels.

Dienikes

Quote from: Shredhead on May 07, 2023, 08:42:30 AMThis isn't NFR because won't they play the National Anthem before tomorrow's game?
I doubt I'll protest or boo, but I won't be standing or singing.

I titled it NFR because it was specifically about how the Liverpool supporters had said they would (and then did) react.

I thought that the national anthem was only going to be played at the games taking place on the day of the coronation.  If it is played at the Cottage, I shall sing it. (I am not a fanatical royalist, more an unenthusiastic royalist rather than republican on the balance of arguments).  I shall not criticise those who don't sing it, but I shall criticise anyone who attempts to disrupt it with booing.

One Martin Thomas

Hardship during 1980s .... Decline of the city and its industry

Hillsborough

A large catholic / Irish ancestry

They feel alienated, separate and they simply don't like 🇬🇧

But there are other ways of getting your point of view heard; this is not in good taste !! I don't like booing anthems as per 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 at most international football tournaments ⚽️

deadcowboys

Given that they still don't accept any responsibility for Hillsborough or Heysel, their response is hardly surprising.

Dodgin

Wrexham supporters booed at Wembley the FA Trophy final last year. Bromley beat them.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dodgin on May 07, 2023, 12:05:59 PMWrexham supporters booed at Wembley the FA Trophy final last year. Bromley beat them.

Glad Bromley beat them as Bromley are an English Football Club.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

perry geyton

Always the victims
They've made a career out of it

perry geyton

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on May 07, 2023, 10:55:08 AMHardship during 1980s .... Decline of the city and its industry

Hillsborough

A large catholic / Irish ancestry

They feel alienated, separate and they simply don't like 🇬🇧

But there are other ways of getting your point of view heard; this is not in good taste !! I don't like booing anthems as per 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 at most international football tournaments ⚽️
Most of the north suffered in the 80's under MT it's not like their the only ones.