watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jay Stansfield

Started by Southcoastffc, May 07, 2023, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

In his last game of his current loan spell with Exeter, Stansfield's hat-trick sealed Morecambe's relegation from League One as he led Exeter City to victory over the Shrimps at St James Park.   ::scarf::
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

gang

Brilliant end to his loan, his father would have been proud of him.

sunburywhite

He must be absoultely buzzing

I hope all three were in front of the stand named after his dad
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Fulham Tup North

::scarf::
Hope he has gained some great experience...
Good to welcome him back to the Cottage..
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Kemosabe

What a way to finish his season at his dad's old club (and the one that nurtured him before he came to us).  Somehow I think that the matchday ball from this game will be one of his proudest possessions for many years!

Dodgin

bog

Well done Jay. ::thumb::  I wonder if he will make the bench before the season is out.

::oldgit::   

tslyon

His hat trick also helped keep Cambridge up.  Got a bit of a soft spot for the mighty Us...

Cheers,

Stephen

filham

Stansfield has had a good season with Exeter but are there really signs that he is ready for the premier league. Would perhaps he be in need of another season on loan.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: filham on May 07, 2023, 06:57:43 PMStansfield has had a good season with Exeter but are there really signs that he is ready for the premier league. Would perhaps he be in need of another season on loan.
A good realistic point filham.
I look at it this way:
If he were not our player would we consider him a target on the strength of his last season at Exeter?

Andy S

I wish him a long and happy career at Fulham

hongkongfulham

Quote from: Jims Dentist on May 07, 2023, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: filham on May 07, 2023, 06:57:43 PMStansfield has had a good season with Exeter but are there really signs that he is ready for the premier league. Would perhaps he be in need of another season on loan.
A good realistic point filham.
I look at it this way:
If he were not our player would we consider him a target on the strength of his last season at Exeter?

I think a (pretty well) teenager with 16 goal involvements in league one is notable! Especially after he scored over a goal a game at U18's. He's my new Lucas Cornwall

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: bog on May 07, 2023, 05:14:42 PMWell done Jay. ::thumb::  I wonder if he will make the bench before the season is out.

::oldgit::   

Unfortunately he is unable to play for us for the rest of the season as his loan contract will officially run until the 30th May (as all EFL loans do)

simplyfulham

I really don't think he is that far off.

He'd be capable of coming to play a squad role for us next season IMO.

His movement is great and so is his first touch. He's got a a fox in the box sort of instinct and is timing his runs really well.

ron

Quote from: Andy S on May 07, 2023, 08:03:05 PMI wish him a long and happy career at Fulham

Without a doubt so do I 👍

Sammyffc

Quote from: simplyfulham on May 11, 2023, 09:24:36 AM

His movement is great and so is his first touch. He's got a a fox in the box sort of instinct and is timing his runs really well.

Respectfully massively disagree. We are a top 10 premier league team. He plays in league 1 and has 9 goals in 36 appearances.

If it wasn't for him being at Fulham there is no chance on this earth someone would recommend a player from league one with those stats to help us

Marcel_Gecov

So, I watched the highlights of the game and I saw 3 very well taken finishes. Now JS is 20 who doesnt turn 21 until November so has plenty of time to continue his development without needing to be thrown into the Fulham team.

I see two main avenues for him next season - Luke Harris gets loaned out to the Championship or League one and JS takes his squad position but that likely only gives him sub and cup appearances (I think harris has 5 appearnces and only 1 start) but will be around better players. Or alternatively another year on loan. Personally, I would like to see him on loan to a championship club for a year to see what he can do. He scored that fantastic goal vs Birmingham a few years and I definitely think theres a player in there who has a future at Fulham ... I did also think the same about Stephen Humphries however.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Sammyffc on May 11, 2023, 10:14:34 AM

Respectfully massively disagree. We are a top 10 premier league team. He plays in league 1 and has 9 goals in 36 appearances.

If it wasn't for him being at Fulham there is no chance on this earth someone would recommend a player from league one with those stats to help us

Respectfully, I don't think this is how it works at all. You cannot just look at extremely limited stats and make an assessment on that. It is all about how well his game translates to a higher level, and that is much more intricate that he "has 9 goals in 36 appearances". This is not FIFA.

His loan to Exeter was about so much more than his goals. It has given him a taste of playing agains men, with actual high stakes. It would have benefitted him absolutely massively (regardless of whether it is enough or not to play in the PL next year). Plenty of players have gone out on loan to lower leagues in their early years without being superstars at the lower level and still gone on to have succesful PL-careers. Harry Kane is a very notable example, but there are plenty others.

We also saw at the beginning of this season that Jay did not look lost or overwhelmed in the PL. Small sample size of course, but not irrelevant.

Lastly, it doesn't matter whether we would have gone for him if he wasn't already on our books, because he is indeed on our books. We already know him, and he will very likely at least be part of pre-season. Personally I have a hunch that he may surprise many of us.

Twig

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 11, 2023, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Sammyffc on May 11, 2023, 10:14:34 AM

Respectfully, I don't think this is how it works at all. You cannot just look at extremely limited stats and make an assessment on that. It is all about how well his game translates to a higher level, and that is much more intricate that he "has 9 goals in 36 appearances". This is not FIFA.

His loan to Exeter was about so much more than his goals. It has given him a taste of playing agains men, with actual high stakes. It would have benefitted him absolutely massively (regardless of whether it is enough or not to play in the PL next year). Plenty of players have gone out on loan to lower leagues in their early years without being superstars at the lower level and still gone on to have succesful PL-careers. Harry Kane is a very notable example, but there are plenty others.

We also saw at the beginning of this season that Jay did not look lost or overwhelmed in the PL. Small sample size of course, but not irrelevant.

Lastly, it doesn't matter whether we would have gone for him if he wasn't already on our books, because he is indeed on our books. We already know him, and he will very likely at least be part of pre-season. Personally I have a hunch that he may surprise many of us.

Agree with this and even if we were to look at very basic stats then you would at least have to consider assists and goal involvement as well as goals scored and in that respect he also had a pretty decent season.

Marcel_Gecov

16 goals or assists in 2500 minutes is pretty decent to be fair.