News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wrexham and Fulham's rise (similiarities)

Started by Cambridge Away, May 11, 2023, 08:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Away

I managed to watch the Wrexham documentary over the bank holiday weekends. I couldn't help but think how their situation is very similar to our own under Al Fayed. Other teams have made it from bottom to top, but never so rapidly or with such fanfare and excitement. Wrexham's story is bigger than our own (and they are two divisions lower down the football pyramid), but we definitely had more money thrown our way.

Andy S

And that sadly is what it is all about, money. Look at Man City, they can be accused of buying their success but they won't be. We were accused of it under Al Fyad. Money is the only way of buying success and you won't get it without it

Wolf

Wrexham have had one exhaustively documented promotion. The media's new Salford City.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Whitestone

The Luton story is potentially bigger if they win the play offs. From the National League to the Prem in nine seasons is a possiblity. But  it doesn't come with all the Hollywood stuff so doesn't get the same exposure.

cookieg

MAF was able to spend as much as he wanted on players, Wrexham will find things a lot tougher with FFP which as we all know is designed to stop another MAF coming along to spoil the "big 6" domination.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Whitestone on May 12, 2023, 09:21:01 AMThe Luton story is potentially bigger if they win the play offs. From the National League to the Prem in nine seasons is a possiblity. But  it doesn't come with all the Hollywood stuff so doesn't get the same exposure.

Totally agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

S.F.Sorrow

You can pretty much predict the final positions in the PL and EFL based on money and transfer budgets. Of course there will be minor deviations and the occasional fluke but football is sadly all about the money these days. The only reason I still bother is that I've been a Fulham supporter my entire life (and my father was also a Fulham supporter). If I grew up today I'm not sure I would be interested in football at all. It's more or less ruined by greed and corruption, at least at the top level.

bill taylors apprentice

Is Wrexham's story similar to ours or bigger?

Well they have the benefit of Hollywood owners and the docu series in a multi media age for a start.
So it's made a bigger impact to the football and general public and being a one club town helps.

For me their history cannot compare to FFC and they fell to a lower level than we did so depending on what happens in the next 6 or 7 years the jury is out.

WindyCity

Yeah, agree with some of the above.  Don't really see similarities between the two clubs.....

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 12, 2023, 04:56:54 PMIs Wrexham's story similar to ours or bigger?

Well they have the benefit of Hollywood owners and the docu series in a multi media age for a start.
So it's made a bigger impact to the football and general public and being a one club town helps.

For me their history cannot compare to FFC, never been at a level we have achieved and they fell to a lower level than we did so depending on what happens in the next 6 or 7 years the jury is out.

TC's Sporran

i watched the series and thought it wqas ok but spoilt by the constant dumbing down for the american audience not up to speed with the ins and outs of english "soccer" and the welsh/english language slang. i then watched the macclesfield series but was disappointed when it was so short.

Eton White

Quote from: Whitestone on May 12, 2023, 09:21:01 AMThe Luton story is potentially bigger if they win the play offs. From the National League to the Prem in nine seasons is a possiblity. But  it doesn't come with all the Hollywood stuff so doesn't get the same exposure.

The Luton story is impressive, but we must remember that they're old hands at this! They were in Division 1 in the 60's, dropped like a stone to Division 4 by the end of the 60's and were back up in Division 1 by the mid 70s. Down again and then back up in Division 1 for much of the 80's before falling off a cliff again, entering administration and dropping out of the league completely.

It would be great to see them in the Premier League - they deserve it after all they've been through!

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Agree that the dumbing down in the Wrexham doc is annoying but I still love it. The owners are genuinely hilarious and it brings attention and interest to the entire footballing pyramid, not just the prem.

Burt

"Welcome to Wrexham" was a good watch but I have yet to see a series that beats "Sunderland 'til I Die".

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Andy S on May 11, 2023, 09:15:00 PMAnd that sadly is what it is all about, money. Look at Man City, they can be accused of buying their success but they won't be. We were accused of it under Al Fyad. Money is the only way of buying success and you won't get it without it
I agree to some extent, but i guess Man City went from 'existing' to 'contending' (as far as the masses go). We went from 'non existent' to 'existent'.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Wolf on May 12, 2023, 09:02:18 AMWrexham have had one exhaustively documented promotion. The media's new Salford City.
"Exhastive" is a very good word. I got the impression they covered every angle of football they possibly could; BUT, i also get the impression these are very good writers and they might be doing this a while. Think 'The Office' (Original) compared to 'The Office' (USA).

Cambridge Away

Yes, i know absolutely nothing about Luton's rise. Even Brentford i don't know so much about. I wonder if that it involves a lot of confidential information. Perhaps we will hear more about it when the owners move on.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on May 12, 2023, 10:21:31 AMYou can pretty much predict the final positions in the PL and EFL based on money and transfer budgets. Of course there will be minor deviations and the occasional fluke but football is sadly all about the money these days. The only reason I still bother is that I've been a Fulham supporter my entire life (and my father was also a Fulham supporter). If I grew up today I'm not sure I would be interested in football at all. It's more or less ruined by greed and corruption, at least at the top level.
I dunno. For every Man City story there is a Leicester, Luton or Brentford story. Even we are bucking the trend to some extent with our current trajectory. Long may it continue!  ::scarf:: 
Newcastle are pretty depressing tho yeah

Cambridge Away

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 12, 2023, 04:56:54 PMIs Wrexham's story similar to ours or bigger?

For me their history cannot compare to FFC and they fell to a lower level than we did so depending on what happens in the next 6 or 7 years the jury is out.
I think the story right now is bigger. Of course their history is not even close. Even if the are an older club

Cambridge Away

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on May 12, 2023, 07:54:06 PMAgree that the dumbing down in the Wrexham doc is annoying but I still love it. The owners are genuinely hilarious and it brings attention and interest to the entire footballing pyramid, not just the prem.
Yeah, i don't think they could have done it better for the target audience