Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Monday
Leicester
0-2
Liverpool

WhiteJC

Fulham, Leeds United and Nottingham Forest to miss out on left-back as new club swoops in

Latest news regarding this reported Fulham target emerges as he finds a new club for next season

Fulham-linked Alex Grimaldo is reportedly poised to join Bayer Leverkusen from Benfica on a free transfer this summer. The Cottagers will have to look elsewhere for a new left-back ahead of next season.

Sky Sports have reported that the London club 'want' to land the defender along with the likes of Juventus, AC Milan, Villarreal and Valencia. Leeds United are also said to be keen, as per CalcioMercato, whilst The Athletic claim Nottingham Forest like him too.

However, reporter Fabrizio Romano claims he is now signing for Bayer Leverkusen. An agreement is already said to be in place and his medical tests are 'already completed'.

Fulham may have identified Grimaldo as someone to compete with Antonee Robinson next term. They will have a vacancy to fill in his position with Layvin Kurzawa due to return to PSG when his loan deal runs out.

Grimaldo started his career as a youngster with spells at Atlético Valbonense and Valencia. Barcelona then snapped him up in 2008 and he went on to make 92 appearances for their B team but never made a senior appearance.

Instead, a move to Benfica beckoned and he has played for the Portuguese giants ever since, scoring 25 goals in 300 appearances. He has been linked with a switch to England but will be heading over to Germany instead for a new challenge in the Bundesliga at Leverkusen under Xabi Alonso. They are currently sat in 7th position and have their sights set on a European place.

In other Fulham news, they beat Southampton 2-0 over the weekend to relegate the Saints. Winger Harry Wilson was handed a start and said afterwards: "I thought we were much better in the second-half. There was a bit more space for us and we took advantage of that and scored two good goals."

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-leeds-united-and-nottingham-forest-to-miss-out-on-left-back-as-new-club-swoops-in-4142349

WhiteJC

Positives and negatives: Southampton 0-2 Fulham
We do like to be beside the seaside, and Cam loves to write about three points and diving headers, as we'll soon find out.

On Saturday afternoon, Fulham recorded their 15th league win of the campaign, the greatest number of dubs we've ever accomplished in the top-flight, and in the process they banished Southampton to the Championship after an 11-year stay in the grandeur of the Barclays. Back-to-back victories and two points off our highest ever points haul; this Fulham team have set the bar extremely high and in all honesty, we're only just getting started.

Ruben Selles's doomed Saints didn't march in; they haven't all season long and now, with a little help from Marco Silva's efficient Whites, they're the first team to succumb to the drop and given their tame performance in a game they simply had to win, there's no excusing their collective indifference. They say there's no easy games at this level, but this was definitely an exception.

Next up is our last home game of the season against Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace, a befitting tribute to our former manager's legacy. Once the schedule comes to a close, he'll surely retire his notepad once and for all having saved the Eagles from potential relegation, just as he did at Fulham 15 years ago. They've been safe for a number of weeks, whereas we've looked comfortable since the opening day. One last dance by the river? See you there.

Positives
As comfortable as they come
I don't think we've been so comfortable away from home this season. Perhaps Boxing Day's the only contender, but Fulham were in the ascendency from literally the first minute of play, and a victory seemed assured even when we were level at the break. It wasn't the most entertaining first half, however we had complete control from kick-off, Southampton chased shadows as we spread possession invitingly and a breakthrough was inevitable.

There really isn't much to say; Fulham were by far and away the better of the two outfits and for the first time ever, we've done the double on the Saints. That's another record in the Silva era. In truth, Southampton have been resigned to the drop ever since they crashed and burned at the Emirates a few weekends ago, they've nothing left to give and that was obvious. They may have had the ball in the back of the net, but Carlos Alcoraz was noticeable offside and other than that particular passage, they were irrelevant.

It was as routine as they come for Fulham; a clean sheet being the feather in the cap for Bernd Leno, but it ultimately stands for the entire squad. We were superior, we were dominant in each and every element, and we weren't even brilliant. We didn't have to be. Southampton's relegation isn't solely down to us, on the day, it was a joint effort. They handed us the nail and to put them out of their wretched misery, we simply drove it in, no fuss, no questions asked. We know the cruelty of top-flight football all too well, so there's no better executioner than one that has felt the same sorrowful pain and on this occasion, we didn't quiver over the trigger.

Vini's purple patch
Fielded from the start despite Aleksandar Mitrovic's availability, Carlos Vinicius's purple patch continued on the south coast as he netted his third goal in four games and with an overall tally of five for the season. The notion of Vini actually being a worthwhile secondary option has legs to it and I'm not ashamed to chow down on my less-than-flattering words, either. I will never mud a player's name again.

A great deal of attention's been granted to Vinicius at Motspur Park, clearly. Before Mitro's expulsion, and indeed for the first few weeks of, Vini's outings were typically thriftless. He was evidently targeted as a weak link because he was presumably instructed to operate as Aleksandar does but visibly, he just wasn't cut out for the rough and tumble that came with it. He isn't blistering by any means but he can shift quicker than Mitro, and that surely had to be utilised.

At Southampton, Vini provided a mobility to Fulham's attacks, he chased long balls out wide and he was rarely rooted in central areas, and that was enough to offset the Saints' defensive line. In the right place at the right time, as he so often is, admittedly, Carlos snaffled up a loose ball within the penalty area in the 48th minute, you could call it a staple finish from the Brazilian and as Fulham's faithful bayed for Mitro, he left his trademark calling card to pacify the masses. While I've been critical of him, rationally so, I'm made up for him and I am apologetic. He may not be the game's most exhilarating player but he's honest, trying, and that's the very type of player this club is historically famed for.

Reed's rousing determination
St. Mary's was once Harrison Reed's home. He graduated through the Saints' revered youth system, he'd taken the bold step to leave his boyhood club to join the Whites and upon his homecoming, his restless desire to be counted for introduced the game's opener, and Southampton's eventual demise. Reed was industrious, the middle of the park wasn't particularly congested and with clear horizons to traverse, he engineered progression and he stunted Southampton's momentum.

A willing runner with the ball, Reed shielded possession with an attentiveness that upholds him as one of Fulham's most trustworthy watchdogs. He was measured with his passing, his pressing was assertive but he wasn't overstimulated. He simply surveyed situations with certitude and his rousing determination brought reward. Southampton couldn't clear their lines effectively as Harry Wilson's overhit through ball skimmed into the penalty area and Reed exploited their hesitancy.

Intercepting a tame attempt to rid danger, the resulting blockage rolled to Vini and thus, the opener was bagged. Committed, impactful, our special one Iniesta's application was stubborn, he established himself as a prominent instigator of opportunity whilst respecting his core responsibilities and for that, we can thank Southampton for blessing him with the fundamentals, the building blocks which have been enhanced to the fullest by Silva and his coaching staff, daring overhead kicks and all.

It had to be Mitro
As Mitrovic stepped off the the substitutes bench, headed for the touchline, the away end stirred with unbridled joy and excitement. Famously banned for eight games, Mitro's long-awaited return to competitive matters eagerly anticipated; Serbia flags were purchased en masse by Fulham's adoring following and the loudest eruption on the day wasn't for his goal, it was for his big entrance in the 65th minute.

They came in their droves to see their king, back from exile, and the man of the moment didn't disappoint. A chorus serenaded every touch and before long, our beloved talisman was before his worshipping public, arms wide, as our second of the afternoon rest in the back of the net. He couldn't have reintroduced himself any better, he unsettled Southampton and Wilson's telepathic relationship with Mitro came to prominence to seal the hosts' fate.

Wilson's cross was delicate; it may have been slightly behind Mitro, but the Serb's improvisation was superb. He levered himself into the flight of the ball and he diverted with incomparable certainty. It had to be him. His stooping diving header was his 12th goal of the campaign, the most he's ever attained at this level and if he'd been eligible to participate in the months gone by, he could well have reached at least 20. His form was stable as we encountered Manchester United in the FA Cup, he knocked Fulham into the lead at Old Trafford and though his season hit an unjust intermission, it's so gratifying to witness him get back to what he does best: terrify defenders and bang in proper striker's goals. The fire never subsided and in the next two games, you better believe we'll stoke it up to a ferocity scalds until the dying embers.

Negatives
Exhausted by VAR
I really don't want to waste too much energy on this because I cannot be arsed but, come on: that's a penalty. No matter how you tart it up, the ball acquainted itself with Lynaco's hand and there isn't an explanation that deems otherwise. The ball literally changed its course because it deflected off said appendage, so what in the land of buggery were those at Stockley Park even watching?

Bunch of bloody amateurs. Thomas Bramall may not have had a clear line of sight but blimey, the cameras do not lie and neither do the protestations that followed immediately after. I am exhausted by the PGMOL's incompetence to source qualified officials, VAR isn't for every Premier League side, it's only exclusive to those that sling hefty backhanders and it needs to be addressed.

We can talk about natural/unnatural postures, intent or mistake, the bottom line is simple and there shouldn't be any hidden clauses. If a ball hits a hand, it's a handball, the clue is in the infringement itself, so the people that pick their noses at monitors with all the evidence have to stop dicking around because if anything, it's just embarrassing on their part. There's nothing accredited about these tossers at all, and I bet they all eat muesli with tap water as well.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-05-15-positives-and-negatives-southampton-0-2-fulham/

WhiteJC

Reed: Still Goals To Achieve

Harrison Reed chatted to broadcasters following Fulham's victory over Southampton, reflecting on his side's performance and season so far.

How satisfying is it, from the Fulham perspective, to come here and win in the manner that you did?

It was our goal to start strong and to win this game of football. And to do it 2-0, with a clean sheet, when we knew it was going to be a tough afternoon against a team fighting for their lives, we're really happy.

At the start of the season, a lot of people were predicting Fulham might be down the other end. Could you have imagined being where you currently are today?

Why not? We came into the season full of confidence, from day one we knew our standards and we knew what we wanted to do. I think we've shown consistency throughout the season, still with a lot of things to learn and improve on, but as a changing room, inside that training ground, we knew what we're capable of.

How much would it mean to go on and secure that top half finish?

It would be amazing. I think T [Cairney] said last week that we haven't really celebrated what we've done this season, with the consistency we've shown and the amount of points we've accumulated. We've still got our goals in-house, and we're looking to achieve that.

Two strikers on the scoresheet – Carlos Vinicius has really stepped up when Aleksandar Mitrović wasn't available, but now he's available again he's straight back on the scoresheet...

You felt it as soon as Mitro stepped on the pitch. He was hungry to get on the scoresheet. His words in my ear as soon as he scored and we were walking back was, 'Reedy, I want another one, so let's keep going.' Vini's done fantastic. He had a tough season early on, having to be patient behind Mitro, but when we've needed him he's really stepped up.

For you personally, is there a touch of sadness regarding the occasion and what it means for Southampton?

I definitely have that feeling sitting in the dressing room, and obviously on the pitch after [the game]. A club that I was part of for a very long time, it's not nice to see them go down, but I have no doubt they'll bounce back and come back strong.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/may/15/reed-still-goals-to-achieve/

WhiteJC

Tete earns Netherlands call up
Fulham full back Kenny Tete has been rewarded for his outstanding Premier League season by being included in the Netherlands' provisional squad for the UEFA Nations League finals.

The right back had expressed his disappointment at being overlooked when national coach Ronald Koeman named his previous squad for the last international break in March and will hoping to avoid being one of the players to miss out when the provisional squad is trimmed down to 23 players – as he did four years ago.

The 27 year-old has shone as Fulham have surpassed expectations under Marco Silva by rising into the top half of the Premier League having won the Championship last season. Tete, who has won fourteen senior caps for his country, has become one of the first names on Silva's team sheet, making 29 Premier League appearances this season. He helped the Whites keep a clean sheet on the south coast on Saturday in a comfortable 2-0 win over Southampton.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/tete-earns-netherlands-call-up/

WhiteJC

Club set price for Fulham and West Ham target – Summer transfer looking affordable

At the weekend, we saw reports from Brazil claiming that Fulham and West Ham United are still interested in signing Pablo Maia from São Paulo.

Journalist André Hernan claimed that despite the failed attempts from the Whites and Hammers to get the midfielder in January, they are still chasing him and promise to make new attempts in the summer window.

Now it's reporter Jorge Nicola who talks about Pablo Maia. On Youtube, he recalls the past links with Fulham and West Ham, and claims São Paulo have a plan for him.

It's said the midfielder is the most valuable player in the Tricolor squad, and they set a minimum price of €10m for his departure. And in case he continues doing well this season, they're set to increase that amount.

So Fulham and West Ham may have struggled to reach those numbers in the January transfer window, but it's hard to see them not being able to afford such a signing in the summer. São Paulo are also in need of money, and are unlikely to be tough negotiators in case good bids arrive.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-set-price-fulham-west-ham-target-summer-transfer-looking-affordable/

WhiteJC

'There's still more to achieve', says Reed
Harrison Reed insists that there is still more for high-flying Fulham to achieve this term after his man-of-the-match performance at Southampton secured another three points for the Whites at the weekend.

Reed's tenacity set up the first goal at St. Mary's for Carlos Vinicius and, after Aleskandar Mitrovic scored within seven minutes of making his return from an eight-game suspension, Marco Silva's side cruised to a comfortable victory. It was a bittersweet win for Reed, who had come through the Southampton academy, as the result confirmed bottom of the table Saints' relegation to the Championship.

The tigerish midfielder said after the game:

"I definitely have that feeling sitting in the dressing room, and obviously on the pitch. A club that I was part of for a very long time, it's not nice to see them go down, but I have no doubt they'll bounce back and come back strong."

The Worthing-born midfielder was adamant in his interviews with the broadcasters that Fulham were always ambitious and confident of proving their worth in the top flight despite being among the pundits' favourites for the drop themselves.

"We came into the season full of confidence, from day one we knew our standards and we knew what we wanted to do. I think we've shown consistency throughout the season, still with a lot of things to learn and improve on, but as a changing room, inside that training ground, we knew what we're capable of."

He reaffirmed that Fulham are determined to both secure a top half finish and set a new club record for Premier League points.

"It [finishing in the top half] would be amazing. I think T[om Cairney] said last week that we haven't really celebrated what we've done this season, with the consistency we've shown and the amount of points we've accumulated. We've still got our goals in-house, and we're looking to achieve that."

Reed also gave an insight into Mitrovic's mindset on his return to action – and admitted that the Serbian finding the net again felt inevitable.

"You felt it as soon as Mitro stepped on the pitch. He was hungry to get on the scoresheet. His words in my ear as soon as he scored and we were walking back was, 'Reedy, I want another one, so let's keep going.' Vini's done fantastic. He had a tough season early on, having to be patient behind Mitro, but when we've needed him he's really stepped up."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/theres-still-more-to-achieve-says-reed/

WhiteJC

Burnley And West Ham Looking At 28-year-old Attacker

Union Berlin attacker Sheraldo Becker is drawing interest from Burnley and West Ham United, while Fulham are also keen, according to the Daily Mail.

The 28-year-old Suriname forward has impressed with 22 goal contributions from 46 appearances in all competitions for Union Berlin.

Bundesliga surprise package Union Berlin are on course to secure Champions League football, as they are sitting in fourth place with 59 points, three points above fifth-placed Freiburg with two league games remaining.

Becker has been the most potent attacker in Urs Fischer's squad, as he is topping the club's goals and assists chart for the ongoing season.

Now Burnley and West Ham are both looking closely at a move for the 28-year-old, while Fulham are also in the mix.

David Moyes will look to add more goalscoring options after the Hammers suffered due to a lack of goals this term, while Burnley and Fulham are also in the market for more firepower as they look to perform strongly in the Premier League next season.

The Suriname international joined the then-newly promoted Union Berlin back in 2019 from Dutch outfit ADO Den Haag on a free transfer.

Becker is currently valued at £15m with his contract running out in 2024 with the German outfit.

However, it could become difficult for the Premier League clubs to pursue the former Netherlands youth international if Union Berlin secure a Champions League spot.

It remains to be seen what lies ahead in the future of Becker and whether one of three interested Premier League clubs will be able to convince the forward to make a move in the summer.

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/05/15/burnley-and-west-ham-looking-at-28-year-old-attacker/603205/

WhiteJC

"Certainly has the ability" - Burnley linked with Fulham and West Ham striker target: The Verdict
We asked some of the writers at FLW to discuss Burnley's interest in Sheraldo Becker and whether he would be a good signing.

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Burnley are interested in signing Union Berlin forward Sheraldo Becker this summer, according to the Daily Mail.

The 28-year-old has been crucial to Union Berlin's rise up the Bundesliga table, as the club are inches away from securing Champions League football for next season.

Becker has scored 11 goals and provided seven assists, with two of each of them coming over the weekend in the win over Freiburg.

It seems his form in Germany has caught the attention of sides from around Europe with Burnley also facing competition from Premier League sides West Ham United and Fulham.

As this news emerges, we asked the writers at FLW for their thoughts on this deal and whether they think it would be a good signing for the Clarets.

Would Sheraldo Becker be a good signing for Burnley?
Adam Jones
Recording 12 goals and 10 assists in 46 competitive appearances this term, Becker certainly has the ability in the final third to be a good replacement for former loanee Nathan Tella.

It does feel the Clarets are in need of another forward, not just because of Tella's departure but also because a long-term successor should be coming in for Jay Rodriguez who may not spend too much longer at the club.

As well as this, Lyle Foster and Michael Obafemi are still developing so Vincent Kompany can't rely on them two to score that many goals next season.

At 28, Becker has a decent amount of experience under his belt but also still has plenty of years left in the tank, so this seems like a good potential signing.

He has the necessary top-flight experience under his belt to be an asset for the Clarets.

Brett Worthington
This could be an exciting addition.

Becker has shown throughout this season for Union Berlin that he is a forward that is deadly in front of goal.

Burnley were an attacking force this season, and with some loan players possibly not returning to the club next season, it seems Vincent Kompany is beginning his search for possible replacements.

The Clarets are losing Ashley Barnes, while fellow striker Jay Rodriguez has shown this season he can struggle with injuries. So, that only leaves Lyle Foster and Michael Obafemi if he stays at the club as recognised strikers.

So adding Becker would provide more competition to the front line, and at his age, he would bring a lot of experience that they may miss in the departing Barnes.

James Reeves
Becker would be an excellent signing for Burnley.

He has scored 12 goals and registered 11 assists for Union Berlin this season and is set to help his side qualify for the Champions League, which is a remarkable achievement for the club.

While there may be question marks over the quality of the Bundesliga compared to the Premier League, Becker is consistently performing in one of Europe's top divisions and he would be an exciting addition for the Clarets.

It would be no surprise to see his game develop further under the expert guidance of Vincent Kompany, particularly considering the way the likes of Anass Zaroury, Manuel Benson, and Nathan Tella have thrived at Turf Moor.

Becker would be great option to add to an already dangerous attack for the Clarets and this is one they should definitely pursue.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/certainly-has-the-ability-burnley-linked-with-fulham-and-west-ham-striker-target-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace, Fulham, West Ham and Brentford all linked with 20-goal striker

Latest transfer news involves Crystal Palace, Fulham, West Ham and Brentford as striker target emerges

London quartet Crystal Palace, Fulham, West Ham and Brentford are all being linked with Strasbourg striker Habib Diallo. The Senegal international has scored 20 goals this season and his current club could lose him to the Premier League this summer.

According to Football Insider, a host of teams have been scouting him over recent times. Europe chasing Brighton and Hove Albion have also been mentioned as a potential suitor as well.

The report claims Crystal Palace, Fulham, West Ham and Brentford have 'watched' the attacker ahead of next term. All four teams will be looking to bolster their ranks when the next transfer window opens.

Diallo, who is 27-years-old, doesn't appear short of options and will carefully weigh up his next destination if he is to leave France in the near future. He joined Strasbourg back in 2020 and hasn't looked back since.

He has scored 40 goals in 100 games so far and is under contract at Stade de la Meinau until 2025 meaning his current club are under no pressure to cash in on him yet unless the price is right. The Thiès-born man started his career at Metz and went on to chip in with 48 goals in 115 matches for them, as well as having a couple of loan moves away at Brest to gain experience.

Crystal Palace, Fulham, West Ham and Brentford have big transfer decisions to make and goal scoring strikers are tough to get due to the amount of competition for them.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/crystal-palace-fulham-west-ham-and-brentford-all-linked-with-20-goal-striker-4143382