Why Are We So Poor At Set Pieces?

Started by White Noise, January 15, 2011, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

And why are we diving so much?

What is going on??? :019:

AlFayedsChequebook

diving = freekicks.

Set pieces are a bugbear of mine. They should be bread and butter for a PROFESSIONAL team. I can accept a few poor ones, but consistently poor set pieces throughout a game is unacceptable.

I did not see the match today, but can anyone tell me if we tried any short corners? They are the absolute worst.

finnster01

A good and fair question that I have no answer too. We have all the tools to be a good set piece team but we can't make a corner work unless Hangeland has been kicked in the arse/scored an own goal/not fed for a week and smell blood etc.

Less worried about free kicks (as we rarely get them and forget about penalties, we'll never get those), but our corners are nothing short of shite  :046:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

NogoodBoyo

Didn't we score two goals from corners against WBA?
Nogood "just perplexing, isit" Boyo

jarv

yes, 2 goals against wba. I was hoping to see more of that today. Agressively attacking a ball crossed in outside the 6, away from the keeper.. It didn't seem to happen. The corners were floated instead of driven and too often nobody attacked them.

Lighthouse

We should be able to place the ball in the penalty area FROM FREE KICKS AND CORNERS.

If it was up to me. Any player taking a corner who hits the first defender should be taken off and have his wages given to charity. Today we were not just bad but AGGGHHHHHHH bad.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

Our set pieces were terrible today. Other than Dempsey's handball corner, we never threatened. I think that the only thing Duff does worse then take corner is speak Chinese. Everyone (except the short one) came into the box three feet off the ground to the first available defender. Murphy seemed to be aiming for the keeper. All in all very poor.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

RidgeRider

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 15, 2011, 11:25:18 PM

Not to mention one of Bairdinho's goals was a free kick. I have lamented over the last two and half seasons how poor we are in this area but then we score 3 recently so.......

Lighthouse

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 16, 2011, 02:09:59 AM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 15, 2011, 11:25:18 PM

Not to mention one of Bairdinho's goals was a free kick. I have lamented over the last two and half seasons how poor we are in this area but then we score 3 recently so.......

Which only goes to show how poor we are most of the time. Clearly we have players who can cause damage in the area if the corners and free kicks are well delivered. But like today they so often aren't.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

The delivery more times than not is just not good enough. It has to be more consistent but to be fair I think it's the same with all teams, how often do we all see a corner not even get past the first man, 40K a week and players cant even do the basics.

I actually have a theory on this about the corners we take at the cottage. I know the training pitches at MP are the same size as the cottage but what they do not have is the drop off at each corner. It's quite tricky taking corners at the cottage and I do wonder if the team ever train taking them on the actual pitch.Davies never looks happy about his footing when taking one there.

As for the diving, we did not see as much in the last couple of years from our team so I can only think that it's come from the management. I keep saying it but you don't finish bottom of the fair play lge table 4 years on the trot through bad luck.

HatterDon

I think we do okay with corners -- as a matter of fact, if you were to ask Mr. Hangeland he'd tell you he has no idea why he didn't score from 10 feet with half the goal unguarded.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

At Craven Cottage there have been 10 goals from corners this season - more than any other ground.

Unfortunately Opta fails to tell us how many are for or against us, so not that useful a stat really (but I thought I'd share it anyway!).

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on January 16, 2011, 10:37:08 PM
I think we do okay with corners -- as a matter of fact, if you were to ask Mr. Hangeland he'd tell you he has no idea why he didn't score from 10 feet with half the goal unguarded.
He's got 3 already, only Clint has scored more. You can't blame Hangers that Duff and Davies can't hit the ball further than 8 yards.

DevonFFC

Free Kicks should always be goal bound so if no touch is made it will work the keeper and may result in a goal, they should always look to bounce of the 6yd box..... END OF

As for corners hitting the first man is just a joke and they need to be put in with pace so the header requires just the directing.

NogoodBoyo

Mother: "Moan, moan, moan - that's all you ever do!"
LARGE EXPLOSION OFF STAGE.
Mother: "Oooh, Mrs Knickerbater's exploded!"
Son (de sotto): "Good thing too."
Mother: "'Ere you, she was my best friend."
Son: "Oh shut up, mother, don't be so sentimental; things explode every day."
Mother: "Yeah, suppose so.  And I never liked her, really."
Nogood "can't beat Monty Big Snake to put life into perpextive, isit" Boyo

Ag

I don't know the specifics about the training grounds around the Prem, but I think MJG's theory makes good sense and may be onto something.

JBH

Apparently we have scored more goals from corners (10) this season tan any other team in the premiership, if this fact is actually true then this thread is totally innacurate and pointless  :doh:

HatterDon

I agree. I especially thought that the kicks only going as far as the first defender were way out of date. This was a feature of our early season, but our free kicks and, especially, corners are at least causing some concern in our opponent's defenses.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Amazing! Perception can be so different from reality.

Having said that, I take all our corners in the over 60 league and 90% land close to the penalty spot from the left and close to the 6 yard line from the right. (90% is my perception of course). :005:  The main reason I take them is some of our guys can't even get them on the field of play!

finnster01

Quote from: jarv on January 17, 2011, 03:02:42 PM
Amazing! Perception can be so different from reality.

Having said that, I take all our corners in the over 60 league and 90% land close to the penalty spot from the left and close to the 6 yard line from the right. (90% is my perception of course). :005:  The main reason I take them is some of our guys can't even get them on the field of play!

Mr Jarv,
Could you report immediately to Motspur Park please?