Brighton   
3-1
   Southampton
Man City   
1-0
   Chelsea

WhiteJC

Losing the lead shows where Fulham must strengthen
Marco Silva is nothing if not consistent. When questioned about his immediate future at Craven Cottage, the Fulham head coach gives an answer as regular as clockwork. The club will announce any official update but he stresses the importance of building on a brilliant first season back in the Premier League by strengthening the squad. He has referred to 'a big few months' and 'an important period' in two press conferences in the next month.

Transfer business remains a touchy subject at Motspur Park. Slavisa Jokanovic, Claudio Ranieri and Scott Parker publicly pronounced on the pitfalls of Fulham's player recruitment process, which demands a tick from director of football Tony Khan, and Silva demanded a greater say on acquisitions during his interview to become the club's new head coach two summers ago. Last year, after a glorious canter to the Championship, he used his pre-match press availability to highlight the small size of Fulham's first-team squad and urged the hierarchy to get on with signing players in a manner similar to how Jokanovic created unwelcome headlines after becoming frustrated with the glacial pace of transfer activity.

Fulham have preferred to find bargains at the end of the summer transfer window in the past but keeping a perfectionist like Silva will probably necessitate a switch in strategy. There are signs that the Portuguese head coach, nominated for the manager of the year award let us not forget, has some sway – especially if we remember that Joao Palhinha, without doubt the Premier League's pound-for-pound signing of this season, arrived from Sporting in early July. But Silva's long-term future in SW6 relies on the board backing him heavily both with funds and in time to work with high quality additions during pre-season. Shahid Khan referenced the Premier League Summer Series in America in his programme notes for yesterday's game against Crystal Palace: the custodian could demonstrate his continued commitment to London's oldest club by unveiling some marquee signings Stateside.

If there was any doubt where Fulham's threadbare squad needs bolstering, then yesterday's frustrating draw with Palace would have offered pertinent pointers. Tim Ream's remarkable season has been brilliant, but even the ageless St. Louis native can't keep going for ever. Shane Duffy isn't an enduring solution either and, as Chloe wrote last night, Issa Diop looks half as -impressive when forced to operate at left centre back. The Whites will need a couple of centre backs, who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, if Silva wants to both remain as adventurous next term and reduce the number of times his side are rescued by either Joao Palhinha or Bernd Leno.

The Whites are short of top-notch understudies for both Palhinha and Harrison Reed, who has another superb season having become more of a box-to-box midfielder than he was under Parker. Sasa Lukic should start next season stronger having acclimatised to the physical and pure pace of life in the Premier League, but a pair of extra bodies in the engine room are a must. Tom Cairney has stepped into the shoes of Andreas Pereira with class, although his early withdrawal against the Eagles coincided with Fulham's collapse in the final ten minutes. A new attacking midfielder, with the talented teenager Luke Harris still being nurtured carefully, will be vital as the timeframe for the Brazilian's return from a terrible injury remains a little up in the air.

Other positions will need filling as well. Fulham have been fortunate to enjoy excellent campaigns from both first-choice full backs in Kenny Tete and Antonee Robinson, but they will need able deputies in time for the start of next season – especially as Joe Bryan nears an emotion return to Bristol City. There might well also be a hunt for a back-up centre forward. Aleksandar Mitrovic remains the main man and, although Carlos Vinicius has finished the campaign commendably, every manager desires another option to change things up off the bench. The long-term option will probably prove to be Jay Stansfield, who signed off so memorably at Exeter with a hat-trick, but a more seasoned striker could offer Silva more immediate tactical flexibility.

Fulham have enjoyed a fantastic campaign – one that is well worth celebrating. But elite football doesn't stand still and Silva certainly won't be resting on his laurels. This isn't the time to take it easy over the summer: it is now that the Fulham hierarchy have to lay the foundations for the next stage of their ambitious project.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/losing-the-lead-shows-where-fulham-must-strengthen/

WhiteJC

Fulham finish above Chelsea for first time in 40 years
Following this afternoon's results, Fulham will finish their first season back in the Premier League in tenth place. Chelsea's defeat by Manchester City also means that Marco Silva's side will finish above their sanctioned neighbours for the first time since 1982/83. Congratulations to everyone at Fulham Football Club for this monumental achievement.

It is worth reiterating that our near neighbours spent in excess of £300m after being beaten at Craven Cottage in January only to draw 0-0 with the Whites in the return fixture a few weeks later. We'd like to congratulate Todd Boehly and Frank Lampard on their stellar success.

There's only one team in Fulham.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/fulham-finish-above-chelsea-for-first-time-in-40-years/

WhiteJC

'Big mistake': Pundit claims player Arsenal sold for £8m is actually better than 25-year-old Gunners star

Tony Cascarino has claimed that Arsenal made a big mistake selling Bernd Leno in the summer, insisting that there is little between himself and Aaron Ramsdale.

Cascarino was speaking to talkSPORT after Fulham all but guaranteed a top-half finish in the Premier League with their draw against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Of course, Marco Silva's men have really proved a lot of doubters wrong following promotion. But their recruitment has been so smart. And one of their most inspired pieces of business was bringing Bernd Leno in from Arsenal.

Arsenal may have made mistake selling Bernd Leno
It was no surprise to see Leno leave the Emirates in the summer. The German spent the large majority of last season as understudy to Aaron Ramsdale.

Remarkably, Fulham signed him for an initial £3 million.

Arsenal have not exactly missed him. They have had an unbelievable season. And Ramsdale has been outstanding, producing a number of brilliant performances.

Nevertheless, Cascarino claimed that the Gunners made an error letting Leno leave.

"I think, and this one's a little bit more controversial, is I think Leno was a big mistake for Arsenal to let go," he told talkSPORT. "I thought Leno was a better keeper than Ramsdale. Now, a lot of people will disagree with me. But I didn't think there was a lot to choose from them. I thought they were very close on the levels. Leno's had a terrific season for Fulham."

It is hard to be too critical of Arsenal. The Gunners could not have expected Leno to be content with being the backup once again this term.

And in fairness, Matt Turner has done very little wrong.

Perhaps you could question Arsenal letting him go for so little. Ultimately, they will receive up to £8 million for him.

But if Ramsdale continues on his current trajectory, Arsenal are not going to regret letting Leno move elsewhere last summer.

https://tbrfootball.com/big-mistake-pundit-claims-player-arsenal-sold-for-8m-is-actually-better-than-25-year-old-gunners-star/

WhiteJC

ISAAN KHAN: Aleksandar Mitrovic was bloodied but unbowed in Fulham's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace... the Serbian striker's performances have seen the Cottagers thrive in the Premier League this season

The Serbian was handed an eight-match ban after being sent off against United
    But Mitrovic's bounce back since returning to action has been impressively swift
    Fulham 2-2 Crystal Palace: Joel Ward bundles home late equaliser for Eagles

He re-appeared with a gauze wedged into a nostril, blood wiped away and a new shirt that bore no name or number.

Aleksandar Mitrovic had been cracked in the nose by Joachim Andersen's arm after three minutes at Craven Cottage.

Once back on the pitch, it was business as usual — a goal in either half on his first start in two months after an eight-game ban.

As Fulham's top scorer with 15 goals, he had been truly missed. Team-mate Willian said: 'He's an important player. He's a player who scores goals, a target for us.

'We always try to find him in any situation — set pieces as well. When he doesn't play, we miss some aspects.'

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been irrepressible for Fulham this season and bounced straight back after serving his eight-match ban

The Serbia international suffered a bad nose bleed but found his way back into action at pace

The Cottagers are just a point away from matching their greatest-ever top-flight points total

In Mitrovic's absence, Fulham found a way to adapt. Carlos Vinicius and Andreas Pereira chipped in with four goals each; there's a real backbone within this side which has ensured that they will finish the season in the top half.

Such a prediction would have been foolish back in August, with many marking Fulham as relegation candidates. Instead, they are breaking records — their 54 Premier League goals this season surpassing their previous best of 52.

If they can take the same fighting spirit into next season, with Mitrovic in tow Marco Silva's men will again be on the right footing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12108809/Aleksandar-Mitrovics-performances-seen-Cottagers-thrive-Premier-League-season.html

WhiteJC

Willian reveals Fulham contract wish after 'proving doubters wrong'

Brazilian has shone this season for Fulham and hopes the club offer him a new contract

Willian intends to stay at Fulham in the hope of earning a new contract at the club.

The Brazilian has enjoyed a fruitful return to the Premier League this season, registering ten goal contributions in 26 league matches after joining on a free transfer.

His one-year contract expires next month, but the 34-year-old is hopeful the club will offer an extension having enjoyed his connection with the Cottagers supporters as much as he did at Chelsea.

The winger said: "I have a contract to the end of June. I don't know what's going to happen. I have to speak with the club, and let's see what happens.

"I feel the same affection for the Fulham fans [as at Chelsea]. If I can stay here, it would be good.

"I am proud of what I have been doing this season. I think a lot of people didn't believe I could come back to the Premier League and do the same job I was doing a lot of years ago. I am proud of it."

Willian, who is believed to earn around £40,00-a-week at Fulham, added: "When I left Chelsea, Arsenal didn't work out as I expected. I went back to Brazil, and some people thought I was finished.

"I've proved, not for them but for myself, that I can still play in the Premier League."

Saturday's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace ensured Fulham can reach a new record Premier League points total of 55 for the season if they beat Manchester United at Old Trafford in their final fixture on Sunday.

"We have to be proud of what we did this season," he said.

"It was an amazing season for us. We have the last game to play and we still have to believe that we can break the record. We have to prepare for the last game."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/willian-fulham-contract-b1082635.html

WhiteJC

Willian wants to stay with 'special' Fulham
Willian says he wants to stay with Fulham after revelling in 'proving the doubters wrong' as the Whites finished in the top half of the table on their Premier League return.

The 34 year-old Brazilian international made a surprise return to English football in September after cancelling his Corinthians contract to sign for Fulham on a free transfer and made a mockery of the pundits' suggestions that he would struggle in SW6 after a poor year with Arsenal. The 34 year-old rolled back the years by scoring five goals and adding five assists in 29 games for Marco Silva's side and is hoping to earn a new deal at Craven Cottage.

Speaking after Saturday's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace, Willian said:

"When I left Chelsea, Arsenal, it didn't work, you know, and then I went back to Brazil. I think some people did think I was finished but I proved, not for them but for me, that I can play in the Premier League again. I'm proud to be doing what I have been doing this season. I think a lot of people didn't believe that I can come back to the Premier League and do the same job that I had been doing a lot of years ago, I'm proud of it as well and I just want to keep playing with a smile on my face."

The veteran winger added:

"I have a contract until the end of June, I don't know what's going to happen. Of course it's some place that I feel good here to play. "I have a contract until the end of June, I don't know what's going to happen. Of course it's some place that I feel good here to play. I feel the same affection for the Fulham fans [as they do for me]. If I can stay here, it would be good.

We have to be proud of what we did this season. It was an amazing season for us. We have the last game to play and we still have to believe that we can break the record. We have to prepare for the last game."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/willian-wants-to-stay-with-special-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham scouts watch Navarro
Fulham have sent scouts to watch the Gil Vicente forward Fran Navarro with a view to signing him this summer, according to a Teamtalk report.

The Spanish striker has scored 36 goals in 76 games since joining the Primeira Liga from Valencia in June 2021 and is about to enter the final twelve months of his current contract at the Estádio Cidade de Barcelos. The 25 year-old has followed his sixteen goals in 32 appearances that saw the Roosters finish fifth last term and qualify for Europe for the first time with another sixteen strikes in 33 games this season.

Fulham representatives watched the former Spain under-20 international score twice in a 3-1 win over Boavista earlier this month, and although Leeds United, Leicester City and Brentford are also interested in the attacker who has taken Barcelos by storm, the Whites are believed to be prime position to sign Navarro, who is intrigued by the prospect of playing in the Premier League under Marco Silva.

Silva is keen to supplement his striking resources for the club's second season in the top flight having only had Carlos Vinicius to field as a replacement for the suspended Aleksandar Mitrovic over the past couple of months.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/fulham-scouts-watch-navarro/