watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Joao Palhinha is my Player of Season

Started by JimmyConway, May 22, 2023, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

First time for a while there has been a lot of very good player performances over a season consistency has been at a high level.
Having given this a lot of thought the last month I have come to the conclusion that João Palhinha even by missing a few games through suspension gets my vote for player of the season. One of my reasons is the other player/s I think have had very good seasons have Joao to thank somewhat. Tim Ream who has been excellent has had more quality protection in front of him than ever before. Tim was one we all thought would be exposed but has not been the case  and I do not think Ream has suddenly improved 10 fold but having a quality defensive midfielder in front has certainly allowed Ream less exposure and allowed Tim to grow in confidence as a defender in this division. Even the full backs have benefitted from Joao's excellent covering somewhat. Joao has improved majority of our defensive players this season.
So for me it's Joao Palhinha first.

Very difficult to choose top 6 let alone 2nd & 3rd place this season. Can't split Willian & Tete then special mentions for Leno Ream & Robinson. Had Ream in contention for most of season and thought he was Palhinha main competition but the form of Tete & Willian has been at such an high standard most games that sways it for me.
Leno has proven what a top goalie in this division can do for a team ala (EVDS and Schwarzer)
Robinson also has improved another 50% from last season.
Even if Joao was sent off again next week I still make him the most influential player we have had this season in more ways than one.

1. Joao Palhinha
2. Kenny Tete / Willian
3. Tim Ream / Bernd Leno
4. Antonee Robinson

ffcthereligion

Good post and I agree, my player of the season too. One thought is that mitro does not even get a mention. I'm not saying he necessarily deserves to be in the conversation, but the fact that he has been missed out despite scoring 14 PL goals and being suspended or playing injured for the majority of the season shows just how well we've done as a club

bencher

I also think that Harrison Reed deserves a special mention. I had major doubts about him playing higher up the pitch, especially at this level. I still think we can and should improve that spot in the team. But he has never given up, he has been able to prove some of us wrong, and has finally made the net bulge a few times.

As regards POTS, I think we have to define exactly what the award is for. If it is to recognise the player that has made the biggest difference to the team, then I agree that it has to be Palhinha. Ream would be my shout for most improved.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: bencher on May 22, 2023, 12:23:04 PMI also think that Harrison Reed deserves a special mention. I had major doubts about him playing higher up the pitch, especially at this level. I still think we can and should improve that spot in the team. But he has never given up, he has been able to prove some of us wrong, and has finally made the net bulge a few times.

As regards POTS, I think we have to define exactly what the award is for. If it is to recognise the player that has made the biggest difference to the team, then I agree that it has to be Palhinha. Ream would be my shout for most improved.

Definitely Reed, the geezer never stops running, passing
tackling, supporting, attacking, defending he must have the
lungs of a cheetah
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Cambridge Away

The whole team is brilliant. I don't envy Marco Silva having to bring in players to 'improve' things. Who do you drop!?

toshes mate

I'd like his twin brother if he has one.  You know the one who never gets caught for a card.

It is a tough ask this season simply because there has been excellent stuff from so many especially those who had to put in a stint in Qatar too. I'd award the coaching team many an accolade for focusing minds on targets to pursue and matches to win. Of the players it is easier to think of the lesser displays rather than the brilliant ones. We also have the injured who wore badges of honour before their misfortunes.

I don't think it is at all easy to name one person for in essence this season has been refreshingly more about players having pride in what they do and I don't see any names I can really exclude from the worth a mention list. So for me the whole squad deserve badges of honour for our most successful PL season to date.   

JimmyConway

Quote from: Cambridge Away on May 22, 2023, 03:20:03 PMThe whole team is brilliant. I don't envy Marco Silva having to bring in players to 'improve' things. Who do you drop!?
Very difficult but that is what the manager is for and I would imagine Marco is very ambitious and knows the next level of quality we require.
It's the nature of the beast even after an successful season that players who have performed well get replaced but for our sake let's hope they are of a higher quality. You can't sit still in this league and have to look to keep improving.

Lighthouse

Palhinha has allowed Reed to have the freedom he never had before and his great form has also been impressive.

Personally Leno has been my player of the season. Keepers get a lot of criticism when things go wrong. But behind a defence that while much improved does go walk about at times. Leno has been a game winner on more than one occasion.

Be interesting in a season like this to see who has been the best player.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Yes, I would agree with anyone who selects Palhinha, Reeed, Tete, Robinson, Willian or Leno, all of them have put in regular good performances.

However ,my own choice would have to be Ream, he has looked pure class all season and to think there were those among us who suggested he would be our weak link. Without that injury he would have topped the games played list and did a good job as on field captain.

Free Elvis Hammond

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 22, 2023, 03:41:27 PMPalhinha has allowed Reed to have the freedom he never had before and his great form has also been impressive.

Personally Leno has been my player of the season. Keepers get a lot of criticism when things go wrong. But behind a defence that while much improved does go walk about at times. Leno has been a game winner on more than one occasion.

Be interesting in a season like this to see who has been the best player.

Yep between those two for me. Match-winning saves aside, Leno's speed of his line and reading of the game have transformed that defence

But as someone else said, Palhinha has given Reed so much more freedom to get forward on that right-hand side of centre midfield, without having to worry about leaving loads of space behind him

Palhinha's got the song so that probably just about clinches it

JimmyConway

Quote from: filham on May 22, 2023, 04:13:24 PMYes, I would agree with anyone who selects Palhinha, Reeed, Tete, Robinson, Willian or Leno, all of them have put in regular good performances.

However ,my own choice would have to be Ream, he has looked pure class all season and to think there were those among us who suggested he would be our weak link. Without that injury he would have topped the games played list and did a good job as on field captain.
I agree with you in regards to Ream but still kept coming back to why Ream has looked good this season and it's having Palhinha protecting the defence is my personal opinion.

Ludlow Richard

I posted this back in October after the Everton game and he has to be our player of the season. Sentiment would push me towards Ream but it has to be Palhinha:

"There was one "Palhinha moment" in the second half on Saturday which stood out for me. An Everton defender was thinking about what to do with the ball and his best option was a free midfielder about 20 yards away. He hadn't even got round to deciding to pass the ball by the time Palhinha started homing in on his unsuspecting midfield prey, having anticipated precisely what the defender was going to do before the defender had decided it himself. By the time the ball arrived at the midfielder's foot, Palhinha was right up his backside and won the ball easily. He is a sensational midfield enforcer".

toshes mate

Quote from: JimmyConway on May 22, 2023, 04:59:49 PM
Quote from: filham on May 22, 2023, 04:13:24 PMYes, I would agree with anyone who selects Palhinha, Reeed, Tete, Robinson, Willian or Leno, all of them have put in regular good performances.

I agree with you in regards to Ream but still kept coming back to why Ream has looked good this season and it's having Palhinha protecting the defence is my personal opinion.
But I have argued that Ream's problem has always been a weak defensive midfield and so Palhinha needed a good central defender behind him and got one.  As Jokanovic once remarked onfield partnerships is what the game is all about and when wavelengths meet that is when you see genius at work.  True about almost every profession too.

Andy S

Totally agree with all the comments above but they have all done well on their day. We could well finish above Spurs next season. Nobody could fix them in a close season. We only need a few tweaks and we will be even better next Season. This season like the last one has been a real pleasure to watch

copthornemike

All good points above.
My vote would be for Leno. Never less than excellent, saved points on many occasions irrespective of whether or not the team has been playing well, instils confidence in the defence and effectively an excellent sweeper when we have the ball.
Ream, Palhinha, Willian and latterly Cairney do have strong cases to be Player of the Year.
Whilst our most influential player I would not vote for Mitro has he has not been quite so good since the World Cup, but others may disagree!
Finally a very big shoutout to Silva and his background team, arguably the most import success factor this season for the club.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: toshes mate on May 22, 2023, 06:16:37 PM
Quote from: JimmyConway on May 22, 2023, 04:59:49 PM

But I have argued that Ream's problem has always been a weak defensive midfield and so Palhinha needed a good central defender behind him and got one.  As Jokanovic once remarked onfield partnerships is what the game is all about and when wavelengths meet that is when you see genius at work.  True about almost every profession too.
Agree with this. Ream's distribution is so good that (on average) he massively prolongs the period that it takes for Palhinha to have to win the ball back again

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Cheesy perhaps but I agree with everyone above. What a squad. Not mentioned yet are Diop, Tosin, Pereira and Wilson, who each have had their own match winning performances.

Kingjay81

This won't be close! Palhinha will win it by a country mile and rightly so.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Kingjay81 on May 23, 2023, 07:55:05 AMThis won't be close! Palhinha will win it by a country mile and rightly so.

Very close between Palhinha and Leno in my opinion. Also very close between Tete and Willian for 3rd. Mitro probably 5th for me. But they've all been great!

Surlyc

Mitrovic has missed 13 games so far, which is a third of the whole season. If he'd played those games and kept up his scoring rate, he'd be on 21 goals and a strong favourite for PotS - but he didn't, so he isn't.

In fact, the fact that we still looked like a PL level side without Mitrovic for 8 games is a strong testament to the contributions of Leno and Palhinha. While I very much hope Mitrovic stays, this season has been the first time I've believed we could be okay without him.

Palhinha would have my vote, with Leno 2nd and Ream 3rd.