WhiteJC

Results
Monday
Newcastle   
0-0
   Leicester

WhiteJC

Striker has date set to rejoin Fulham – Transfer rumours ruled out

Over the past couple of weeks, there have been many rumours in the Brazilian media regarding Grêmio's interest in Fulham striker Rodrigo Muniz.

The 22-year-old was loaned by the Whites to Middlesbrough until the end of the season, and with Boro now out of the fight for a place in the Premier League, he's being returned to Craven Cottage.

As Brazilian journalist Diogo Rossi features a video about this story, he claims that this summer move to Grêmio is actually very unlikely.

The reporter starts by stating that Rodrigo Muniz is free to spend his holidays in Brazil. And before travelling to his home country, he received guidance from Fulham for his time off and the date to be back at the club. That information was given by people who work with the striker.

It's also said that the player's objective is to return to England in pre-season and try to have a new opportunity with the Whites.

Regarding Grêmio, Rossi spoke to someone in the market who ruled out that possibility for now.

The journalist doesn't completely dismiss the transfer, but does acknowledge that Muniz's short-term future should be at Fulham.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/striker-date-set-rejoin-fulham-transfer-rumours-ruled/

WhiteJC

Luton Town, Nottingham Forest and Southampton keen on out of contract Premier League talent

Luton Town, Nottingham Forest and Southampton are all admirers of Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens, as per a report from the Daily Mail.

Luton Town's season is still ongoing and they could yet rise from the Championship. They face Coventry City in a huge play-off final this weekend but the Hatters will still have one eye on potential additions for the summer.

Despite their success, the club still have one of the division's smaller budgets and will be looking to strike shrewd deals where possible regardless of which division they find themselves in.

Now, as per a report from the Daily Mail, out of contract Fulham talent Wickens has emerged on their radar.

They claim that Wickens is keen to play more football and as the end of his deal at Craven Cottage nears, he could head for pastures new. Nottingham Forest are keen on the 21-year-old but Luton Town and Southampton are also admirers of his talents.

A shrewd signing...
While Wickens has seen first-team football elude him with Fulham, he still looks a bright talent for the future. He's impressed in youth football for the Cottagers and a successful loan spell with Wealdstone last season showed his abilities can translate to the senior stage.

At 21, he's a promising player for the future and could be a smart addition for the Hatters to make regardless of which level they find themselves at next season.

First-team football is what he wants and while a senior role with the three linked clubs could elude him early on, the chance to catch the eye out on loan or in cup football as a no.2 could appeal to Wickens.

https://the72.co.uk/2023/05/22/luton-town-nottingham-forest-and-southampton-keen-on-out-of-contract-premier-league-talent/

WhiteJC

Muniz set for Fulham return
Rodrigo Muniz will report back to Fulham for pre-season training following his disappointing loan spell at Middlesbrough, reports from Brazil have confirmed.

The former Flamengo forward made just sixteen appearances and scored two goals during his season-long loan at the Riverside Stadium, with his first-team opportunities hindered by Boro's replacement of Chris Wilder with Michael Carrick. The 22 year-old, who scored five goals in 25 games as the Whites won the Championship in his first campaign at Craven Cottage, had been linked with a mooted move to Gremio but Diogo Rossi revealed on Youtube that Muniz will be back at Motspur Park in July with the aim of earning a spot in Marco Silva's squad.

The Portuguese head coach was pivotal in persuading Muniz to pick Fulham over Middlesbrough two summers ago and is in need of different striking options having had just Carlos Vinicius to call upon as back up for the banned Aleksandar Mitrovic this season. A more likely scenario could see the Cottagers seek a more successful loan destination that will give the striker more frequent senior football.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/muniz-set-for-fulham-return/

WhiteJC

Wickens exit reports are wide of the mark
The Daily Mail's Simon Jones has made his name as a transfer rumour-monger and he appears an excellent aggregator of gossip within the game that passes for original content these days.

His lunchtime column carried suggested George Wickens, a lifelong Fulham fan, and highly-regarded goalkeeper could leave the club this summer. It is no surprise that a number of EFL sides are interested in the Petersfield-born custodian, including Nottingham Forest, Luton and recently relegation Southampton. The 21 year-old impressed on loan at Wealdstone last season and established himself as Marco Silva's third-choice keeper this season, helping Steve Wigley's under 21s finish fifth in the PL2.

Wickens is understandably eager for further first-team football, but with question marks surrounding Marek Rodak's future this summer, a Football League loan is more likely than a permanent departure for a man whom many at Motspur Park still have high hopes. That route served fellow academy goalkeepers Rodak and Marcus Bettinelli well on their route in the Fulham senior side.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/wickens-exit-reports-are-wide-of-the-mark/

WhiteJC

Southampton and Luton eyeing Fulham transfer swoop
The Saints and the Hatters are both keen on Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens, according to reports.

With Southampton's relegation from the Premier League already confirmed, and Luton Town preparing for the Championship play-off final, the two sides' coming week is going to look very different.

Indeed, the Saints are preparing for their final match in the top flight for the foreseeable future, against Liverpool on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Hatters are preparing to take on Coventry City at Wembley on Saturday evening.

Despite the above differences, though, it appears both the Saints and the Hatters do have one thing in common.

Latest Southampton and Luton Town transfer news
That thing in common is Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens, with reports today suggesting that both clubs hold an interest in the 21-year-old heading into the summer.

That is according to the Daily Mail's transfer column, which claims that the young goalkeeper is currently mulling over his next career step.

Third choice at Fulham, their report states that Wickens is keen to feature more next season, with Luton and Southampton presumably prepared to offer him an improvement in terms of minutes compared to his current situation.

Nottingham Forest are also keen on a deal for the young shot-stopper, though, so there is Premier League competition to secure his services.

Would George Wickens be a good signing for Luton Town?
At this stage, it is honestly very difficult to assess whether this would be a good deal for Luton or not, given we do not know if they are going to be in the Premier League or the Championship next season.

Ethan Horvath, their current number one, is only on loan though, so the goalkeeping situation is one they will have to look at this summer.

The club did only sign Jack Walton back in January, though, and 31-year-old James Shea has been named the club's number two on the bench prior to, and even after, his arrival.

It is unclear how long Shea is contracted at Kenilworth Road, but at present, it is hard to see where Wickens fits in.

Would George Wickens be a good signing for Southampton?
At Southampton, the picture is slightly different, though.

Their current third choice Willy Caballero is out of contract this summer, and their number one, Gavin Bazunu, could attract transfer attention following their relegation from the top flight given how highly rated he is.

Of course, there is still the experienced Alex McCarthy there, but were Bazunu and Caballero to depart this summer, there will be spots for a number two and three goalkeeper at the St Mary's Stadium.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/southampton-and-luton-eyeing-fulham-transfer-swoop/

WhiteJC

Tim Ream and Cesar Azpilicueta reveal how anxiety affects them in mental health QandA with schools across the country

"Mental health issues still affect us. We're still human beings."

That was the message Fulham captain Tim Ream and Chelsea skipper Cesar Azpilicueta had for the hundreds of kids who logged on to their Q&A session on anxiety as part of Mental Health Awareness week.

Teaming up with Virtual Soccer Schools – an organisation that Ream is the global athlete liason for – and Amazing People Schools, the two Premier League stars spoke to over 80 schools on Friday to help educate children around the country on mental health.

The theme of the session was anxiety, and with over eight million people experiencing an anxiety disorder at any one time, Ream and Azpilicueta were keen to help the kids understand it through recalling their own experience of it in their own lives.

For Ream, anxiety is something he's encountered plenty of times in his life, including when he was younger. However, there was one recent incident that caused it to spark up again – his injury in the 2-1 loss against Man City in April.

The United States defender went to ground as he broke his arm following an awkward tangle with Julian Alvarez which resulted in him needing an operation and being ruled out for the rest of the season.

Recalling the anxiety alongside the physical pain of his arm injury, Ream told the children: "My most recent example is I broke my arm almost three weeks ago.

"I was playing in a match against Manchester City and immediately after being taken off, in the ambulance to the hospital my first thought was 'is this serious and is this going to end or be a problem for my career and my ability to play?'

"And as I get that thought in my head, other thoughts spiral and you start to think 'is this the end of my career?', 'Am I going to be out so long I'll miss the end of the season?', 'am I going to miss pre-season?', 'am I going to be able to run soon to stay fit?'

"Speaking about the feeling you had to friends and family is the easiest way [to overcome it]. But then realising a broken bone is just a little bit of change and you just have to let it heal."

Moments of self doubt like the one Ream experienced recently has also affected Azpilicueta.

The Spaniard has frequently spoken openly about his mental health, with him and Chelsea women's team star Fran Kirby recently fronting a mental health campaign launched by the Blues.

When asked by one of the children whether he ever has voices in his head telling him he's not good enough, the Blues skipper said: "It's difficult to answer you know because sometimes you can have a low moment.

"But you have to trust yourself, you have to be confident. All we can do is try and get the maximum from ourselves. I think everyone should feel confident and positive with that. We don't need to copy anyone, we are ourselves.

"I never believed I could be a professional footballer as a kid, so that's why I always take it step by step. If you can do everything you can, then you have to be happy with yourself."

Following the 40 minute session with the schools, Ream sat down with talkSPORT to explain that helping kids to understand mental health and know how to handle its challenges is close to his heart.

He struggled with it too as a child, but no one educated him on what it was.

"I don't think [I knew what anxiety was as a child]," he said. "I think as a kid when I look back, and I see it in my own kids, it manifests itself as 'oh my stomach hurts' or 'I don't really want to go to school today'.

"There's no one reason for it and you can't pinpoint the reason. I would've been the same. It was in third grade for me, I didn't want to go into third grade. I would be in class and I'd go to the nurse, because it was something about being there that I didn't want to be there.

"Looking back, it was anxiety. It was self doubt and being in an uncomfortable place."

Many footballers have highlighted the impact social media can have on their mental well being, with their being countless incidents of stars being subject to heavy criticism or even abuse on a regular basis.

Azpilicueta has previously spoken about spending long periods off his phone to avoid soaking up too much negativity, and Ream believes it's that knowing of when to take a step back from the platforms that is key.

"I think that's what we need to understand as people that what we say behind a screen does affect that person you're intending it to affect," he explained. "That's something we try to get kids to understand. You might not think it bothers the person, but it does.

"You can say 'oh you need to be stronger and mentally tougher.' I know people as mentally tough as they come and it still affects them.

"It's important to understand we are people, and comments have a big affect on everyone."

When asked how he helps cope with the negative sides of social media, he said: "For me what works, and it's difficult to do and you have to intentionally remind yourself, is if I post on [social media] I leave it.

"Like Cesar does, you just put the phone down. You don't worry about the comments or what they say."

Since joining Fulham in 2015 after signing from Bolton, Ream has made 291 appearances for the west London club, helping them to promotion three times as well as suffering two relegations.

Now, under Marco Silva, Fulham have swerved away from being a yo-yo club and secured a 10th place finish in the Premier League.

And Ream says it's down to his mental resilience that he's built up since the struggles he experienced last time Fulham were relegated that's helped see him involved in 35 games this year.

"I'd put it down to almost 90 per cent [why this season has been better]," he said. "It's played such a huge part for me for the last two and a half seasons.

"I was able to develop that [mental strength] during that tough season, the last Premier League season when we were relegated and I wasn't playing a lot. I read a lot of books, understanding what was going on [mentally] and developing different ways to not cope but understand what I was feeling.

"It's played such a huge role in being able to push aside things I've needed to push aside, recognise things I need to take on board and constructive criticism.

"You can't just always be this ray of sunshine, positive person all the time, there are times you need to take on board some of the criticisms and I think it's played a huge role in this season for sure.

"A lot of credit has to go to the manager for the mindset he's brought into the group.

"This is why I'm able to do what I can do at 35 years old. It takes time to develop that mental strength and understand yourself, which is what we're doing through VSS."

When asked what it means to be able to speak to children about mental health, Ream said: "Whether you're young, middle-aged, old. Mental health affects everyone.

"To give back and speak to the kids and let them know that yes we're athletes, we're at the top of our game, and you see us on TV and doing these great things, but it still affects us. We're still human beings.

"These days are helpful for the next generation but I've also found it's helpful for me. It's a way of me telling myself that these are feelings I've felt. It's great to share those stories and feel so open and be able to share that with the kids."

https://talksport.com/football/1432558/

WhiteJC

Fulham and Brentford tracking 16-goal striker ahead of summer transfer battle

Latest transfer news and rumours involves both Fulham and Brentford as the Premier League pair look ahead to the summer

Fulham and Brentford are both believed to be keen on Gil Vicente striker Fran Navarro. The Spaniard appears to be a man in-demand ahead of the summer transfer window.

According to TEAMtalk, the London pair have been 'checking' on his progress over recent times. The report also suggests that Leeds United and Leicester City are keeping tabs on him too.

Fulham could see the 25-year-old as someone to compete with Aleksandar Mitrovic next season. The Cottagers have had an impressive past 12 months since their return to the Premier League from the Championship.

Brentford will need someone to replace Ivan Toney, who has been banned for the next eight months. They will no doubt be linked with a whole host of names over the couple of months.

Navarro, who is a former Spain youth international, has been with Gil Vicente since 2021. He has enjoyed his time in Portugal so far and has fired in 32 goals in 64 games, 16 of which have come in this campaign, but his current club could face a battle to keep hold of him.

He started his career at local side Valencia after a brief spell in the academy at Levante and was a regular for the B team at the Mestalla. However, he never made a senior appearance for the La Liga side and was given the green light to leave permanently after a loan spell away at Lokeren in Belgium to gain some experience.

In other news, young Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens is being linked with a departure. The Daily Mail claim Nottingham Forest, Luton Town and Southampton are all interested in snapping him up. His contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of June and it remains to be seen whether it will be extended or not.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-and-brentford-tracking-16-goal-striker-ahead-of-summer-transfer-battle-4152912

WhiteJC

Tim Ream OUT of the Gold Cup and Nations League as the Fulham captain and USMNT center back recovers from breaking his arm vs. Manchester City

Ream said he had a slim chance to make the roster in time for the tournaments
    Instead, the center back who was crucial in Qatar will not be available at all
    DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news

Fulham captain and USMNT center back Tim Ream will not be called up for the Gold Cup and the Nations League after breaking his arm earlier this season, according to Pro Soccer Wire.

Ream broke his arm in a late-April game against Manchester City and underwent surgery days later to repair it.

While Fulham believes that Ream will be back in time for preseason action in July - and Ream hoped to play for the USA in some capacity this summer - those fixtures may arrive too soon.

Ream was a crucial part of the United States' run to the knockout stages at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, starting all four matches. But he says that outside shot of making the roster for the summer is not happening.

'I'm definitely not playing any part with the U.S. unfortunately,' Ream said in an interview. 'There was an outside chance that I would have been able to for the Gold Cup. Nations League is too soon.

USMNT CB & Fulham captain Tim Ream will miss this summer's Gold Cup and Nations League

Ream says he has 'strict orders' for six weeks of non-contact training or physical activities

Ream was a crucial part of the USA's World Cup team - starting all four of the country's games

'I am under strict orders of six weeks of no-contact training or physical activity. So six weeks comes I believe two days before the Nations League semifinal.

'And that only leaves me two days of contact training, and that's not really conducive to performing at a high level with the national team.

'So I'm obviously ruled out of [Nations League] medically and then with the Gold Cup being so soon after, we've taken the decision to let the arm heal even more.

'Because if I leave it and come back for preseason that puts me at between nine and 10 weeks of of healing. And that's a whole heck of a lot better than saying "OK, let's take a risk at six weeks."'

The USMNT plays Mexico on June 15 in the semifinals of the Nations League with a final scheduled for three days later between that game's winner and the victor of Canada vs. Panama.

Just six days after the final, the USA begins Gold Cup action - looking to defend their title. Group stage matches are set to take place in Chicago, St. Louis, and Charlotte.

If they advance out of Group A consisting of the US, Jamaica, Nicaragua, and a to-be-determined qualifier, they'll advance to the knockout stages.

The quarterfinals for Group A are to be played in Cincinnati, the semifinals will take place in either San Diego or Las Vegas, and the final will be held in Los Angeles

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12112453/Tim-Ream-Gold-Cup-Fulham-captain-USMNT-CB-recovers-breaking-arm.html

WhiteJC

'Anxiety affects us all,' Ream tells youngsters
Fulham defender Tim Ream cited his struggle after fracturing his arm to tell young people that anxiety can affect even professional footballers, during a Q&A for mental health awareness week last week.

The American international, an athlete ambassador for his Virtual Soccer Schools initiative, teamed up with Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta for a session with schoolchildren and told his audience that even a star of his experience can still struggle with confidence during moments of trauma.

Ream said:

"Mental health issues still affect us. We're still human beings. My most recent example is I broke my arm almost three weeks ago. I was playing in a match against Manchester City and immediately after being taken off, in the ambulance to the hospital my first thought was 'is this serious and is this going to end or be a problem for my career and my ability to play?

And as I get that thought in my head, other thoughts spiral and you start to think 'is this the end of my career?', 'Am I going to be out so long I'll miss the end of the season?', 'am I going to miss pre-season?', 'am I going to be able to run soon to stay fit?' Speaking about the feeling you had to friends and family is the easiest way [to solve it]. But then realising a broken bone is just a little bit of change and you just have to let it heal."

Ream's honesty will hopefully make a difference with thousands of young people up and down the country realising that even their heroes struggle with their emotional wellbeing. The Fulham centre half follows in the footsteps of Joe Bryan, who was praised for his bravery in opening up about his own mental health struggles two years ago.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/anxiety-affects-us-all-ream-tells-youngsters/

WhiteJC

Ream eyes Summer Series return
Tim Ream has conceded that he will miss the Gold Cup and the Nations League with the United States this summer.

The Fulham defender says he has been instructed to rest for six weeks after undergoing surgery on the arm he fractured during the Whites' 2-1 defeat by Manchester City earlier this month. That means that the States will need to do without the 35 year-old for the duration of their competitive schedule in June and that the centre back's most likely return to match action could be during the Premier League Summer Series which takes place in America in July.

Ream told Pro Soccer Wire:

"I'm definitely not playing any part with the U.S. unfortunately. There was an outside chance that I would have been able to for the Gold Cup. Nations League is too soon. I am under strict orders of six weeks of no-contact training or physical activity. So six weeks comes I believe two days before the Nations League semi-final and that only leaves me two days of contact training, and that's not really conducive to performing at a high level with the national team.

I'm obviously ruled out of [the Nations League] medically and then with the Gold Cup being so soon after, we've taken the decision to let the arm heal even more. Because if I leave it and come back for preseason that puts me at between nine and 10 weeks of of healing. And that's a whole heck of a lot better than saying "OK, let's take a risk at six weeks."

Marco Silva's side play three matches Stateside as part of the Premier League Summer Series as part of their preparations for a second season in the top flight. The Whites will take on local rivals Brentford at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Sunday 23 July, then Aston Villa in Orlando three days later before completing their mini-tour by facing Chelsea, who they are guaranteed to finish above this term, in Maryland on Sunday 30 July.

Ream might return to first-team action sooner during Fulham's pre-season programme, with the Cottagers scheduled to return to pre-season training at the start of July but no earlier friendlies have been finalised.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/05/ream-eyes-summer-series-return/

WhiteJC

Garth Crooks' Team of the Week: Mitrovic, Casemiro, Bowen, Lindelof, Mitoma

At the end of every round of fixtures, BBC football pundit Garth Crooks is on hand to give you his Team of the Week.

Who has he picked this time? Take a look and then pick your own team below and share it on social media. As ever, Garth also has his say on the game's big talking points in the Crooks of the Matter.

David Raya (Brentford): The first save from the head of Richarlison was world class, but the recovery to save the second attempt from the same player was quite remarkable. Raya's performance at Spurs was very much in keeping with the rest of his team. The two saves by Raya didn't just give Brentford the confidence to continue in the same vein they had played throughout the match, it galvanised them. Brentford were better than Spurs in every department and Raya was central to their 3-1 victory. Running Spurs at the moment can't be much fun. They can't attract a top-class manager, a Champions League finish is now out of the question and the team is being run by a novice. I wonder what's next.

Rico Henry (Brentford): It was Rico Henry's superb throw-in that set up the move for Bryan Mbeumo to score. The defender then saw the danger with his goalkeeper out of position, and Emerson Royal about to score, moved brilliantly to clear a certain goal off the line. It's not that often you find a full-back who plays such a crucial role in two incidents that have such an enormous bearing on the game. Meanwhile, I hear Ryan Mason wants the Spurs job. Has he not seen what taking managerial jobs before the coach is ready has done to Steven Gerrard at Aston Villa, Graham Potter at Chelsea and Frank Lampard at Everton? Yet he thinks he can manage Tottenham Hotspur. I wonder what he thinks he can do that Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte couldn't. The mere fact that Mason has put his name forward and the thought given consideration tells me the precise state in which the football club finds itself.

Yerry Mina (Everton): What a delight it was to see a banner asking the Everton players to 'fight for us' instead of placards focusing on boardroom matters. Well, Everton did just that and fought right to the last minute at Wolves, eventually getting the 1-1 draw their efforts deserved. He's not my favourite Everton player but Yerry Mina has a habit of popping up with the occasional goal, but he won't score a more important goal than his equaliser at Molineux. Leeds United's hearts must have sank when the result came in. The Toffees now play Bournemouth at home in their last game of the season with everything to play for. Everton fans should make sure they take that banner with them.

Victor Lindelof (Manchester United): Ever since Victor Lindelof played in the FA Cup semi-final and scored the winning penalty, the defender has not looked back. His performances have been outstanding and he played a prominent part in helping Manchester United keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win at Bournemouth. With two Premier League games left to play, United now look set to finish in the top four. They have already won the Carabao Cup, are in the FA Cup final and look set to return to the Champions League stage next season. Such ambitions would have been out of the question before Erik ten Hag and a certain Casemiro arrived on the scene. However, Lindelof has returned after a spell on the treatment table and fitted in quietly and without any fuss. He's timed his return brilliantly.

Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United): When Kieran Trippier walked into St James' Park, Newcastle United were fighting relegation. No-one could possibly have thought at the time that the same player would be leading them into the Champions League two seasons later. Trippier has shown courage and fortitude, and that is why he's made my selection. The Magpies needed a point against Leicester to stop Liverpool from catching them - and got it with a 0-0 draw. Leicester needed to win to hold their own destiny, and now must beat West Ham at home on Sunday and hope Everton lose at home to Bournemouth. Meanwhile, the night belonged to Newcastle who, since the takeover by Amanda Staveley and her consortium, have conducted themselves brilliantly by investing in a proven young English manager who has had the most extraordinary season. Now they are in the Champions League it will be interesting to see how Eddie Howe and his backroom staff approach a tournament the club last participated in 20 years ago. Congratulations Newcastle - your fans deserve it.

Jarrod Bowen (West Ham): It has been an amazing week for West Ham. On Thursday night they beat AZ Alkmaar in the Europa Conference League semi-finals and now face Fiorentina in the final. It was an emotional night for the Hammers who could be forgiven for starting slowly against a Leeds side who knew that anything less than a win at London Stadium left their Premier League survival chances hanging by a thread. When West Ham did get going they looked impressive with Pablo Fornals, Lucas Paqueta and Declan Rice all playing a major part. However, it was Jarrod Bowen's performance that destroyed Leeds 3-1. His exquisite chip provided the opening for Rice to score, and was followed by a lovely strike with the outside of his left foot to put the game beyond the visitors. Leeds now have to beat Spurs at Elland Road to stand any chance of staying up.

Morgan Gibbs-White (Nottingham Forest): An awful lot has happened to both Nottingham Forest and Arsenal since they played each other in north London last October. Forest have become a team worthy of the Premier League under the guidance of Steve Cooper after their 5-0 thrashing at Emirates Stadium, and edged the Gunners 1-0 in this return fixture at the City Ground. Meanwhile, Arsenal may have won many hearts during their exploits but they lost the title. Mikel Arteta was quick to congratulate Manchester City and quite rightly. Forest have however shown extraordinary resilience, especially in the latter part of the season and none more so than Morgan Gibbs-White. His enthusiasm for the game and sheer will to win has spread through his team like wildfire. Owner Evangelos Marinakis seems to spend most of the match either crossing himself or looking to the heavens for divine intervention. This campaign was all about hard work from a group of players who have dedicated themselves to a cause and, in the end, got what they truly deserved.

Casemiro (Manchester United): When I saw Casemiro take a look over his shoulder in the middle of the park against Bournemouth before the ball arrived at his feet, it reminded me of Glenn Hoddle when he was in his prime. Kevin de Bruyne also has the ability to look over his shoulder as the ball is travelling towards him and control it, knowing precisely how much time and space he has before making a decision. Casemiro's arrival at Old Trafford has almost been as important as Ten Hag's. The Brazil midfielder's presence in the team, not to mention his performances, have transformed Manchester United's season. I thought his arrival at Old Trafford was no more than a nice finale to a magnificent career. That couldn't have been further from the truth. The player puts himself on the line for the team and is a leader. He might not be the player of the season, but for me he is without doubt the signing of the season.

Kaoru Mitoma (Brighton): What a season this lad has had. How he wasn't on the score sheet in the 3-1 win against Southampton I don't know. He hit everything apart from the back of the net. He is lightning quick and runs almost as fast with the ball at his feet. Kaoru Mitoma is playing out of his skin and in today's market is worth at least £70m of anybody's money, but Brighton must keep him if they can. The Japan midfielder has played a major part in Brighton's climb up the table. His ball for Evan Ferguson to score his second goal of the game was absolutely glorious. Brighton's success has set them up for a Europa League place next season and they must improve their squad and keep their best players if they are going to come out of their European experience unscathed. Midweek European football and a return to Premier League duty on Sundays takes its toll.

Bryan Mbeumo (Brentford): They say when one door closes another one opens. Ivan Toney's enforced ban because of gambling irregularities seems to have presented others at Brentford with an opportunity to shine. That door wasn't just slightly ajar at Spurs, it was left wide open and Bryan Mbeumo walked straight in to help himself to two superbly taken goals and one assist, with no Toney in sight. In fact I thought he looked perfectly capable without Toney alongside him. While the England striker might be sitting at home contemplating his next move, Brentford don't seem to have been troubled by his absence. Anyone would have benefitted from the chaos Spurs are in at the moment, it just happened to be Mbeumo and Brentford who were in the right place at the right time. Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte have previously expressed their concerns about the culture within the club, and a banner in the stands reading 'profit over glory' articulated their sentiments perfectly. Enough said, I think.

Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham): After his shenanigans at Old Trafford where he appeared to manhandle the referee I didn't think I would see this guy playing football again this season. However, Aleksandar Mitrovic is back in action and his enforced sabbatical doesn't seem to have affected his ability to score goals. His penalty in Fulham's 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace was as unequivocal as it gets, while his movement for his second goal across Palace's six-yard box was textbook centre-forward play. There is no doubt about it, Mitrovic is a handful. What a pity the Serbia striker blew a fuse at Old Trafford. He was having a great season at the time and so were Fulham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65666206