more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 28/05/23...

Started by WhiteJC, May 28, 2023, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Exeter City will try to get Jay Stansfield back on loan again

"We would love to have him back and he is always welcome at this football club."

Exeter City will 'try very hard' to convince Fulham to let them take Jay Stansfield on loan for a second successive season. The 20-year-old capped his memorable and emotional return to St James Park with a final day hat-trick for his boyhood club.

Stansfield scored nine goals in the season for the Grecians as he became the youngest player in the EFL to score a hat-trick this season. He added a further eight assists in the 43 games he played for City since his deadline day arrival on loan from the Premier League club.

He was given a standing ovation on the final day of the season when he was substituted off in what could be the final appearance in a red and white shirt. And unsurprisingly, City would love to have to bring the attacker back to Devon for another season – although City manager Gary Caldwell admits that it might be difficult to do so.

"We are trying," he said, when asked if there was any chance that Stansfield could come back for a second season. We would love to have him back and he is always welcome at this football club.

"He is a fantastic character, trains the right way, works extremely hard and he has the potential to be brilliant. It has been a pleasure working with him this year and if the opportunity comes again we would love to work with him again.

"I went to Fulham three days after the last game of the season and said I was missing him and went to see him. I spoke to Fulham about it but I think it will be difficult and the hat-trick killed us.

"I did think about taking off after the second goal to stop that, but everyone knew what was coming, and so I couldn't deny him that. If he doesn't come back then he has that to remember for the rest of his life and he will always be welcome back. But we will try very hard to get him back."

Having come through the youth academy with the Grecians – the club his late father Adam Stansfield – was a legend with, Jay moved to Fulham in 2019, and the following year, Scott Parker handed him a debut in the FA Cup in January 2020, before a league debut followed later that month away at Charlton Athletic. In August 2021, he scored his first senior goal in a League Cup victory over Birmingham City.

Still a teenager, the then 19-year-old was taken on the Premier League's club's pre-season tour. Marco Silva then named Stansfield on the bench for the Cottagers on the opening day of the season before picking him to start against Brentford – and within 60 seconds he had an assist – and it could have been his goal after the former academy product had hit the woodwork.

But on transfer deadline day, Willian, Carlos Vinicius and Dan James all arrived at Fulham. It gave the London side the options they needed in attacking areas – and the loan deal to Exeter – which was more than two months in the making - could finally be completed.

Stansfield, wearing the same number nine shirt his father wore, netted nine times during his spell in Devon, with the final day hat-trick the stand-out moment, and the youngster said the loan move was fantastic for his career.

"Dropping down the divisions was the best thing to do personally," Stansfield said. "I've come here and developed as a player and learnt a lot about myself and a lot about how to react on the pitch.

"I think playing in the Premier League is brilliant, but I'm still only 20 and I've got a lot to learn and more experience to gain. League One's a great level to play in, it's tough but enjoyable and is challenging.

"I can't thank everyone at Exeter - the club, the players, all the staff, and especially the fans - enough for welcoming me back here with such open arms, and sticking by me. I went 23 games without a goal and some fans can turn massively and show disbelief in you, but these fans have stuck by me the whole way," he said.

"Everyone remembers my Dad here, but I came here to make a name for myself and I think I have done that. We're very different people at different levels in our career at my age, but it is a privilege to come here and wear that shirt, not just for me but for my family."

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/transfer-news/exeter-city-try-jay-stansfield-8471139

WhiteJC

Predicted XI vs Fulham: Harry Maguire and Alejandro Garnacho to start

With the FA Cup final just a week away and Champions League football guaranteed for next season, Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag can afford to be cautious with his line-up for tomorrow's final Premier League match of the season against Fulham at Old Trafford.

Almost certain to be missing are Luke Shaw, who went off injured at half time against Chelsea on Thursday with what was rumoured to be a back problem.

Erik ten Hag said at yesterday's press conference that he does not know if Shaw will be fit but given the doubt and the importance of the impending final, it would be a big surprise if he were to play. Tyrell Malacia will probably deputise.

In the opposite full-back berth, we think Diogo Dalot will be given a run-out to keep him match fit in case he is needed at Wembley. He has lost his place to Aaron Wan-Bissaka recently so has not had may minutes.

Another player it would make sense to rest is Raphael Varane, who has to be monitored carefully due to ongoing issues. Harry Maguire is likely to come in for him in what could be his last match at Old Trafford.

Many reports have claimed the skipper will be sold in the summer so it would be a fitting tribute for him to lead the side out one last time in front of the home crowd.

He will most likely partner Victor Lindelof at centre back and, as usual, David de Gea is expected to be in goal.

In midfield, some tired legs might also get rested. Bruno Fernandes always wants to play, but he has got more miles on the clock than anyone else in Europe this season, so it would make sense to put him in cotton wool. Christian Eriksen might also be allowed to freshen up.

With Marcel Sabitzer out for the season, this would mean Scott McTominay and Fred coming in alongside Casemiro, who will sit behind them.

Up front, Antony was stretchered off against Chelsea amid reports that it could be a recurrence of an ankle injury sustained at Ajax that kept him out for two months.

Meanwhile Marcus Rashford has been struggling with illness and injury and might not be risked.

It would therefore seem logical for Jadon Sancho to play on the right wing and Alejandro Garnacho on the left, with Anthony Martial up top once more.

With all that in mind, here is our predicted XI for tomorrow's game:

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/05/27/predicted-xi-vs-fulham-harry-maguire-and-alejandro-garnacho-to-start-264571/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Cottagers in talks to sign Romain Faivre
The Lyon midfielder has caught the attention of Marco Silva whilst out on loan at FC Lorient this season.

Fulham are in contact regarding a summer deal to bring Lyon star Romain Faivre to the Premier League, according to reports.

Who is Romain Faivre?
The Frenchman is a midfielder who first joined Laurent Blanc's side back in January 2022, but at the start of this year, he was sent out on loan to join FC Lorient until the end of the current campaign, and during his 15 appearances at the Stade du Moustoir, he's hugely impressed after establishing himself as their side's overall second best-performing player with a WhoScored match rating of 7.22.

The Ligue 1 gem still has another three years remaining on his contract with his parent club, so it could be difficult to prise him away during the upcoming window, but with Marco Silva looking to invest in new players that can bolster his ranks, the 24-year-old has been identified as a potential ideal target at Craven Cottage.

Who is signing Faivre?
According to Foot Mercato (via Sport Witness), Fulham, alongside top-flight rivals Bournemouth, are both "very interested" in Faivre and have "already started talks" with his representatives regarding a move to England.

The Whites and the Cherries are seriously "exploring" a deal for the midfielder, with his level of performances on the road having not gone "unnoticed" by the pair of potential suitors named above. Lyon's ace is "interested in the idea" of completing a switch to the top-flight and is "open to offers", with his outfit "happy to sell" should they receive a bid worth €15m (£13m).

Fulham will know that Lyon's price tag of £13m for Faivre is more than reasonable considering how well he's performing at FC Lorient, and having been hailed a "joy to watch" by football talent scout Jacek Kulig, Shahid Khan should certainly consider splashing the cash to bring him to SW6 during the upcoming window.

The France U21s former international, who has experience competing in the Europa League which is where Silva may be aiming to take his side next term, has posted six goal contributions (three goals and the same number of assists) in 15 appearances on loan, with this form having even seen him pick up a man-of-the-match award.

As per FBRef, the left-footed wizard is also always looking to produce moments of quality in the final third, ranking in the 97th percentile for successful take-ons and the 95th percentile for pass completion, so loves to take on his marker and is strong in his link-up play with his fellow teammates.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-romain-faivre-lyon-premier-league-transfer-news/

WhiteJC

Three young players Manchester United should pick vs Fulham

The season finale is often the perfect opportunity for Manchester United's young players to get some Premier League minutes under their belt.

Champions League qualification was ensured following Thursdays 4-1 win against Chelsea.

Therefore Sundays game against Fulham could present Erik Ten Hag with a chance to play some of his younger stars.

Giving rest to his first team ahead of June's FA Cup final against bitter rivals, Man City.

One obvious exclusion is Kobbie Mainoo who is injured as confirmed on his Instagram.

So here are three players who should play against Fulham

Facundo Pellistri
Facundo Pellistri is the most obvious case to feature on Sunday for multiple reasons.

Firstly, with Antony out injured Pellistri has a relatively clear path to the right wing slot. The Uruguayan is a natural there and deserves to get a substantial amount of minutes in this game.

Secondly, the 21-year-old was promised game time in January when he instead could have looked to move on loan. Therefore he should get this chance to prove to ten Hag that he deserves further minutes next season.

Lastly, he has already shown that his quality is deserving of more playing time.

Most notably his impressive cameo against Real Betis, along with his assist against Charlton in the EFL Cup.

Daniel Gore
The newly crowned u21 Player of the Year Daniel Gore has had a great season with the reserves.

The 18-year-old made 18 appearances in Premier League 2, assisting three goals.

Given he is the u21's main man, Gore should be first in line for a call up. He is also almost a ready made Bruno Fernandes alternative, to give the Portuguese star a rest.

Gore is a tenacious and technically gifted attacking midfielder, so we hope he gets some minutes which could be invaluable for his development.

Zidane Iqbal
Zidane Iqbal looked destined to have a breakout season, following his impressive pre-season displays.

He was an ever-present in ten Hag's pre-season set-up playing as part of the two deep midfielders.

Iqbal has already demonstrated his talent and that he is ready for senior football. It is quite baffling that he hasn't featured for the first team since pre-season.

However this could be the perfect chance to give him a chance to put himself in ten Hag's plans for next season.

The 20-year-old likely won't be content playing youth football after this season, so give him a chance ten Hag.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/three-young-players-manchester-united-should-pick-v-fulham/

WhiteJC

Preview: Manchester United vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups

Manchester United and Fulham lock horns at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon in the ultimate round of the 2022/23 Premier League season.

Erik ten Hag became only the fifth Man Utd manager to lead the team to a top-four finish in his first season in charge, as the Red Devils picked apart Chelsea in a thumping 4-1 home victory on Thursday.

After scoring a winner in last weekend's 1-0 win at Bournemouth, Casemiro opened the scoring only six minutes into the game before Anthony Martial propelled United to a comfortable 2-0 cushion at the break.

Bruno Fernandes made it 3-0 in the 73rd minute from the spot before Marcus Rashford quadrupled the home team's lead five minutes later, with Joao Felix scoring a consolation injury-time goal for Chelsea.

Three league victories in a row following back-to-back defeats have catapulted Man United to third in the table heading into the final day of the season, two points above fourth-placed Newcastle United.

Ten Hag's men will hope to finish a decent domestic campaign on a high on Sunday against 10th-placed Fulham, who will secure their first top-half finish in the Premier League since 2011/12, irrespective of Sunday's result.

Following a dismal run of three consecutive league defeats, Marco Silva's men have gone unbeaten in their last three matches (W2, D1), most recently drawing 2-2 against Crystal Palace at home.

With the Cottagers flying high again, the Red Devils shouldn't take this encounter lightly, even though it has all the makings of a 'dead rubber.'

Match Preview
Sunday could be a potential landmark day for Man United as they aim to win all six meetings with promoted clubs in a single Premier League season for the first time since 2011/12.

Considering the Red Devils have only lost their final Premier League outing in one of their nine campaigns in which they've contested the FA Cup final that season (W6, D2), optimism shouldn't be in short supply.

And with Ten Hag's side going unbeaten in all 17 home league games (W14, D3) since a 2-1 loss to Brighton & Hove Albion on the opening weekend, the Old Trafford fanbase has every reason to look forward to Fulham's visit.

It seems all pieces have fallen into place to accommodate a perfect ending to a good-looking season as Man United are also undefeated in their last 14 clashes against the Cottagers in the Premier League (W11, D3).

Fulham's dreadful record of one win and 18 defeats on their 21 league visits to the Theatre of Dreams (D2) will unlikely inspire much confidence in the travelling camp, although Aleksandar Mitrovic's return from suspension might.

In just two games since coming back from an eight-match ban, the Cottagers talisman has netted three times, including a point-worthy brace against Palace last time out.

Mitrovic was also on the scoresheet in a 2-0 win at Southampton on the visitors' last Premier League travel, helping Silva's side end a two-game losing streak on the road, during which they failed to find the net.

It's been 'all or nothing' for Fulham outside Craven Cottage lately. None of their last seven away league games have ended as a draw (W3, L4), with four seeing the winner on the day keep a clean sheet.

Team News
Long-term absentee Donny van de Beek has recently got some high-profile company in the treatment room after Antony, Marcel Sabitzer and Luke Shaw joined him and Lisandro Martinez on the sidelines.

However, Ten Hag can call upon the remainder of the squad that humbled Chelsea on Thursday.

Fulham's Andreas Pereira, Tim Ream and Layvin Kurzawa cannot take this trip with the rest of the group due to injuries.

Manchester United potential starting line-up:

(4-2-3-1): David de Gea; Diogo Dalot, Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Tyrell Malacia; Casemiro, Scott McTominay; Jadon Sancho, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford; Anthony Martial.

Fulham potential starting line-up:

(4-2-3-1): Bernd Leno; Kenny Tete, Tosin Adarabioyo, Issa Diop, Antonee Robinson; Harrison Reed, Joaoo Palhinha; Harry Wilson, Tom Cairney, Willian; Aleksandar Mitrovic.

We Say: Manchester United 3-1 Fulham
What better way to prepare for the upcoming FA Cup final against Manchester City than winning the last warm-up fixture?

Man Utd have gone from strength to strength at Old Trafford this season, and we expect them to cap a marvellous home campaign off in style.

https://manutdnews.com/preview-manchester-united-vs-fulham-prediction-team-news-line-ups/

WhiteJC

Opposition Watch: Mitrovic motivated
Fulham boss Marco Silva says Aleksandar Mitrovic will be fired up for Sunday's match against Manchester United but will not be extra motivated by events that unfolded the last time he appeared at Old Trafford.

There were remarkable scenes during our Emirates FA Cup quarter-final win over the Cottagers in March, with the game turning when Willian handled a Jadon Sancho shot on the line.

Referee Chris Kavanagh did not spot the offence but was called to the pitchside monitor to see the incident clearly and awarded a penalty, while sending off the Brazilian.

Mitrovic, whose goal was separating the teams, was incensed by the decision and confronted Kavanagh, also earning a red card. Bruno Fernandes converted the spot-kick and United went on to win 3-1, en route to next weekend's Wembley final with Manchester City.

Mitrovic was subsequently banned for eight games by the Football Association, a standard three-game suspension, plus an additional three for violent conduct towards a match official and another two for using language that was "improper, abusive, insulting and threatening".

The Serbia international returned, and scored, in a 2-0 triumph at relegated Southampton and followed it up with a brace in last weekend's London derby draw with Crystal Palace.

While it has been suggested the 28-year-old will have a point to prove in Sunday's league season finale, Silva insists the striker will simply be as motivated as he is for every match.

When asked if Mitrovic would be particularly fired up for the occasion, Silva, who was also handed a two-game touchline ban following the fracas, replied: "No, not at all. Mitro doesn't need this type of incentive.

"I think he showed, in 25 minutes against Southampton, that it doesn't matter the club that he is going to play against, [and] last week against Palace.

"He is Mitro, he doesn't need to play against certain types of teams or in certain situations to be more motivated."

Silva also paid tribute to United at his press conference, adding: "You know that you are going to play against a very good side. I think they've been showing this season that they're a massive club, last night [against Chelsea] they showed again their quality.

"The individual quality they have, in my opinion, is clearly in the best teams in this league, because if you look for their individuals, they are really a top, top, top level."

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/marco-silva-says-aleksandar-mitrovic-wont-be-extra-motivated-for-old-trafford

WhiteJC

No extra motivation for Aleksandar Mitrovic heading back to scene of meltdown

Fulham boss Marco Silva insists Aleksandar Mitrovic has nothing to prove on his Old Trafford return following an FA Cup meltdown there in March.

Mitrovic was handed an eight-game ban after grabbing referee Chris Kavanagh during Fulham's FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Manchester United.

The Serbia striker has scored three goals in two games since returning from suspension – taking his total for the season in all competitions to 15 – and ends his best top-flight campaign on Sunday back at Old Trafford.

Asked if Mitrovic will be especially fired up against United, Silva said: "No, not at all. Mitro doesn't need this type of incentive.

"I think he showed in 25 minutes against Southampton that it doesn't matter the club that he is going to play against, (and) last week against Palace.

"He is Mitro, he doesn't need to play against certain types of teams or in certain situations to be more motivated."

Fulham will end the campaign 10th whatever happens at United – their first top-half Premier League finish since coming ninth in 2012 – but the Cottagers have a powerful incentive to finish the season on a high.

Victory will set a new Premier League points record for the club, a draw will match the 53 points achieved in 2008-09 under Roy Hodgson.

Silva said: "It's a brilliant season for us, no doubts about it. For everything, not just because about the position we have to be proud of.

"The position we are going to finish, the way we achieve it. The way we keep improving the individual and collective of our squad. It's been really good.

"We knew before this season started that it would be crucial for this club to remain in Premier League.

"Credit to the players because of the right mindset, they are always ready to learn and work.

"They bought our ideas and philosophy as well to the way we are going to play football."

United secured a top-four finish and Champions League football next season by beating Chelsea 4-1 on Thursday.

Erik ten Hag's squad will expect a rousing Old Trafford send-off on Sunday before next weekend's FA Cup final date with neighbours Manchester City.

"They already played one final (Carabao Cup) and they are going to play another one," said Silva, whose side have suffered late league and cup defeats to United this season.

"For a club like Man United it is really important that they are fighting for some titles. They changed some things (this season), they signed good players – two or three that made a huge impact in their squad as well.

"I think they've been showing this season that they're a massive club.

"The individual quality they have, in my opinion, is clearly in the best teams in this league.

"They have players in the attack line and midfield line who can decide the game in one second if you switch off."

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/footballsoccer/2023/05/27/news/no_extra_motivation_for_aleksandar_mitrovic_heading_back_to_scene_of_meltdown-3307640/

WhiteJC

Manchester United could earn another £4million by finishing third in the Premier League

Manchester United's marathon season is nearing its conclusion, with just one league game left to play.

Erik ten Hag's men impressively secured Champions League football for next season by dismantling Chelsea at Old Trafford on Thursday.

The 4-1 win meant Liverpool can no longer catch United in the top four of the Premier League and underlined a successful first campaign for the new boss.

United finish their season at home to Fulham tomorrow (Sunday) and despite having wrapped up their Champions League place, there is still work to do.

A victory will hand United a third place finish with Newcastle resigned to fourth.

As well as the sporting merit to finishing a place higher in the division, there is a financial gain to be had, too.

As reported by The Athletic, United would scoop an approximate extra £4million should they beat Fulham on the final day.

A fourth place finish gets you a total of £63,306,073 according to their calculations, with third guaranteeing a £67,029,960 payout.

Champions scoop the jackpot of £74,477,733, with second place picking up £70,753,847 for their efforts.

Erik ten Hag is hoping for a busy summer in the transfer market and despite £4million being a drop in the ocean in the world of top level football these days, it will be a welcome top up.

Fulham cannot move from their current 10th place position, earning them £40,962,753, but are not expected to roll over at Old Trafford.

Marco Silva's side will be out for revenge after United knocked them out of an ill-tempered FA Cup quarter-final back in March.

Ten Hag will be keen to finish strongly as he prepares his side for the final of the FA Cup against Manchester City, next weekend.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/05/27/manchester-united-could-earn-another-4million-by-finishing-third-in-the-premier-league-264574/

WhiteJC

"It's not worth making plans" – Player focused on improving at Fulham instead of thinking of transfer

Fulham striker Carlos Vinícius has been interviewed by Portuguese outlet Radio Renascença.

With him being a former Benfica player and now being managed by Marco Silva, there was a lot of attention from the Lisbon press on his first season with the Whites.

Carlos Vinícius had a lot of good things to talk about his boss, insisting he's a big fan.

"In addition to being a great coach, he is a great man, something I really appreciate. Then, as a coach, there's no need to explain, just look at the seasons he's had at Fulham," Carlos Vinícius told Radio Renascença.

"It's the combination of an excellent coach and an excellent man, so he has everything to go well and will continue to do so. He's a good person and I like him a lot."

Regarding his first season at Fulham, Carlos Vinícius claims they managed to reach their main objective, and should have new goals for the upcoming seasons.

"Great. Our objective was not to be relegated and the truth is that we are doing very well. Of course, as we win, we dream of something bigger, but of course we know that our goal was not to go down. The word that stays is 'excellence', now it's finishing in Manchester with a golden key, with a victory."

Radio Renascença pointed out that Carlos Vinícius only had 11 starts for Fulham this season, despite his five goals and three assists in 31 games. The player, however, claimed that "this year worked as an experience", and he's looking forward to conquering a place in the team.

"I practically just signed with Fulham, I still have two seasons left on my contract, so it's not worth making plans. Now it's time to prepare for the next season."

Fulham only spent €5m to sign the Brazilian from Benfica at the start of the season, and that has been proving to be a decent investment for the squad, especially with the goals scored by him in the past few weeks.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/not-worth-making-plans-player-focused-improving-fulham-instead-thinking-transfer/

WhiteJC

'He is Mitro... he doesn't need this type of incentive': Fulham boss Marco Silva insists Aleksandar Mitrovic has no extra motivation on Old Trafford return after being sent off and banned last time he played there

Aleksandar Mitrovic was shown a red card in his last game at Old Trafford
    He was dismissed for grabbing referee Chris Kavanagh during the FA Cup tie
    Striker then received an eight-match ban for his actions after the game

Fulham boss Marco Silva insists Aleksandar Mitrovic has nothing to prove on his Old Trafford return following an FA Cup meltdown there in March.

Mitrovic was handed an eight-game ban after grabbing referee Chris Kavanagh during Fulham's FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Manchester United.

The Serbia striker has scored three goals in two games since returning from suspension - taking his total for the season in all competitions to 15 - and ends his best top-flight campaign on Sunday back at Old Trafford.

Asked if Mitrovic will be especially fired up against United, Silva said: 'No, not at all. Mitro doesn't need this type of incentive.

'I think he showed in 25 minutes against Southampton that it doesn't matter the club that he is going to play against, (and) last week against Palace.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was sent off during Fulham's FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Man United

'He is Mitro, he doesn't need to play against certain types of teams or in certain situations to be more motivated.'

Fulham will end the campaign 10th whatever happens at United - their first top-half Premier League finish since coming ninth in 2012 - but the Cottagers have a powerful incentive to finish the season on a high.

Victory will set a new Premier League points record for the club, a draw will match the 53 points achieved in 2008-09 under Roy Hodgson.

Silva said: 'It's a brilliant season for us, no doubts about it. For everything, not just because about the position we have to be proud of.

'The position we are going to finish, the way we achieve it. The way we keep improving the individual and collective of our squad. It's been really good.

'We knew before this season started that it would be crucial for this club to remain in Premier League.

'Credit to the players because of the right mindset, they are always ready to learn and work.

'They bought our ideas and philosophy as well to the way we are going to play football.'

Mitrovic was handed an eight-game ban after grabbing referee Chris Kavanagh

United secured a top-four finish and Champions League football next season by beating Chelsea 4-1 on Thursday.

Erik ten Hag's squad will expect a rousing Old Trafford send-off on Sunday before next weekend's FA Cup final date with neighbours Manchester City.

'They already played one final (Carabao Cup) and they are going to play another one,' said Silva, whose side have suffered late league and cup defeats to United this season.

'For a club like Man United it is really important that they are fighting for some titles. They changed some things (this season), they signed good players - two or three that made a huge impact in their squad as well.

'I think they've been showing this season that they're a massive club.

'The individual quality they have, in my opinion, is clearly in the best teams in this league.

'They have players in the attack line and midfield line who can decide the game in one second if you switch off.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12130957/Fulham-boss-Marco-Silva-insists-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-prove-Old-Trafford-return.html

WhiteJC

Report: Tottenham are at the front of the queue to sign one of Roberto De Zerbi's good friends

Tottenham are leading the chase to sign Manor Solomon this summer.

That is according to The Athletic who report that the north London club are at the front of the queue to sign the Israeli international.

The winger has already spent a season in the Premier League this year with Fulham, and it's been something of a hit and miss campaign.

He was injured early on, but upon his return he made a real impact, netting five goals in five games over the Winter period.

However, after that flurry of goals. Solomon's performances began to wane. He dropped to the bench in Marco Silva's side, and struggled to make much impact with his workrate being called into question.

Despite some struggles at Fulham, Solomon has shown glimpses of pure ability, and he has caught the eye of Tottenham.

A FIFA ruling on Ukraine-based foreign players means that Solomon could be signed on a free this summer, and for a 23-year-old with Champions League experience, that could be an absolute bargain.

Of course, Tottenham don't currently have a manager, but one of their managerial targets is a huge fan of Solomon.

Indeed, Roberto De Zerbi worked with Solomon at Shakhtar Donetsk, and he became close friends with the winger during that time.

De Zerbi spoke of his friendship with Solomon after the winger scored the winning goal against Brighton earlier this season.

"I'm sad for the result but I'm happy for him," said De Zerbi. "We stayed seven months together and we stayed in a bad moment for us.

"We will remember that moment until the end of our lives.

"For me, in the game he was an opponent but after the game he is my friend, he is my player, and I can't forget the past."

The fact the Solomon may be Spurs-bound could well help Tottenham in their pursuit of De Zerbi.

These two situations are certainly ones to keep an eye on, and it looks like Solomon could well be Tottenham's first signing of the summer.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-tottenham-are-at-the-front-of-the-queue-to-sign-one-of-roberto-de-zerbis-good-friends/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva responds to Saudi Arabia links in message on Fulham future

45-year-old admired in both England and Middle East after brilliant season

Marco Silva has insisted he is focused on the future at Fulham despite links with a move away from the club.

Silva has previously said he will seek assurance that Fulham share his ambition before entering into talks over a new contract, with his current deal set to expire at the end of next season.

But the 45-year-old Portuguese - who will reject a move to Saudi Arabian side Al Ahli - said he is in dialogue with the club's hierarchy "every single day" to push Fulham forward.

"Normally I don't talk too much about the situation," Silva said ahead of the trip to Manchester United on Sunday.

"But we are here and I am talking every single day with people to keep planning and improving this football club as best as we can, as we did from the first day.

"This is the main focus for us. I'm under contract with this football club and this is the main thing."

After promotion from the Sky Bet Championship last season, Fulham will end up 10th whatever happens at Old Trafford.

It will be their first top-half finish in the Premier League since coming ninth in 2012.

But Fulham have the incentive of eclipsing the 53 points they achieved in the 2008-09 season under Roy Hodgson.

Silva said: "There are three points to fight for, that is the main thing.

"From the first day they (players) know what our demands and standards are every single time.

"Even if we can not go for a difference in position right now, the points are still there and it's for us to fight for."

Fulham's successful season has seen Silva join Manchester City's Pep Guardiola, Arsenal's Mikel Arteta, Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi, Newcastle's Eddie Howe and Aston Villa's Unai Emery on a six-man shortlist for the managerial award.

"These sort of nominations make all of us proud but it is a consequence of how the team perform," Silva said.

"Even though the name is there, it is not an individual thing, it is a collective.

"It is a consequence of the season Fulham Football Club has had, but I am proud my name is in there."

Former United winger Daniel James could be denied the chance of an Old Trafford return because of a hamstring problem.

Another former United player, midfielder Andreas Pereira, is definitely out with a fractured ankle, while Tim Ream (arm) will also be absent.

Additional reporting from PA

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/marco-silva-fulham-fc-latest-saudi-arabia-premier-league-2023-b1084134.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea: Pochettino eyes up move for Aleksandar Mitrovic
Todd Boehly could enhance Chelsea's forward options with a move for the Fulham striker.

Todd Boehly is eyeing up a Chelsea move for Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic this summer as he aims to bolster Mauricio Pochettino's attacking options.

What's the latest on Aleksandar Mitrovic to Chelsea?
According to Chelsea writer Simon Phillips on his Substack, the Blues are looking at a potential swoop for Mitrovic during the summer transfer window.

The £80k-per-week frontman still has three years left on his contract and Fulham will be demanding a fee in excess of the £22m they shelled out on him back in 2018 from Newcastle United.

Pochettino desperately requires a centre-forward with Premier League experience and the Serbian could be the ideal player to lead his attack next term.

Will Mitrovic be an upgrade on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang?
This season has been, to put it politely, a disaster for Chelsea. They will record their lowest Premier League finish since 1993/94, and having scored just 37 league goals - the joint-fourth-lowest total in the top flight - a striker will surely be top of Pochettino's wishlist.

Upon his arrival from Barcelona last summer and having scored 92 goals in four years for Arsenal, Aubameyang was looked to as the one who could take Chelsea to the next level, yet the striker has managed to net just three for the Blues across 21 appearances.

In his 15 league matches, the 33-year-old has only posted 1.1 shots per game, created zero big chances, succeeded with just 0.2 dribble attempts per game and scored just one goal, indicating just how poor he has been in front of goal and with the ball at his feet.

Compare this to Mitrovic's statistics during the same period, and the Fulham striker would almost certainly be a major upgrade for next season. He managed 3.9 shots per game, created five big chances, succeeded with one dribble attempt per game and scored 14 times, and these numbers have given the player an overall rating of 7.15/10, ranking him as the second-best performer out of the Whites squad.

The 28-year-old was dubbed as "magic" by Statman Dave at the start of the year as he matched his own Premier League scoring record. He has since surpassed this tally, and with one match left, could end up scoring more than the 14 already to his name - a decent total having recently returned from a lengthy ban.

With this in mind, Boehly must launch a move for the former Newcastle man, as his experience in the top flight, combined with his current ability, could potentially give the Blues 15–20 goals next term, and this could take them from mid-table mediocrity back towards Champions League contention.

https://www.footballfancast.com/chelsea-transfer-news-gossip-rumours-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

The one rule change that saw the birth of 40-goal-a-season strikers like Dixie Dean, Guy Whittingham and Aleksandar Mitrovic

With crowds dwindling due to a lack of goals in 1925, the FA introduced a revolutionary rule change that favoured attackers

The impetus for goal-scoring sparked in the summer of 1925 with a revision to Law 11 in the Laws of the Game: the offside rule. Prior to that, there always had to be three defenders between the attacker and the goal when the ball was played to them.

This regulation was ruthlessly exploited by defenders after the First World War; most notably, Bill McCracken, a Northern Irish full-back with Newcastle, perfected an offside trap that snared forwards like a web catching flies.

Countless defences soon copied his example. Goals dwindled, attendances dropped, football authorities panicked and the new law – just two defenders between attacker and goal – came into force for the 1925-26 season.

The change was instant and dramatic. Goals in the English top flight increased from 1,192 in 1924-25 to 1,703 a season later; from an average of 2.58 per match to a crowd-swelling 3.89.

Until then, the largest haul in an English league season had been 39 goals by Darlington's David Brown, of Scotland. Such totals suddenly became commonplace in the period. The 40-goal-season strikers had arrived.

Indeed, in the decade after the much-needed offside rule change, 21 players hit 40 goals on 23 occasions in England's top three divisions, starting with Ted Harper at Blackburn Rovers in 1926. Also included on that list is Dixie Dean, who appears twice after bagging 60 Division 1 goals for Everton in 1927/28, before hitting 44 four seasons later.

In total, 40 goals has been reached 41 times, though only twice in the last half-century. Guy Whittingham managed 42 for Portsmouth in 1993, with Aleksandar Mitrovic's 43 goals for Fulham in the Championship last season the most recent occurrence.

Erling Haaland, currently on 35 Premier League goals with an away game against Brentford still to come, has to score seven goals on Sunday in order to join the exclusive forty club. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/the-one-rule-change-that-saw-the-birth-of-40-goal-a-season-strikers-like-dixie-dean-guy-whittingham-and-aleksandar-mitrovic

WhiteJC

Marco Silva makes Aleksandar Mitrovic prediction ahead of Manchester United clash following heated FA Cup tie

Fulham make the trip to Old Trafford for the final game of the Premier League season against Man United on Sunday.

Fulham manager Marco Silva doesn't believe Aleksandar Mitrovic will be any more motivated to face Manchester United on Sunday because of the red card he received when the sides last met.

United knocked Fulham out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage when they met in March. United won 3-1 thanks to a brace from Bruno Fernandes and a goal from Marcel Sabitzer.

There was a huge moment in the encounter after Fulham had gone ahead thanks to Mitrovic's goal. Willian handled Jadon Sancho's goalbound shot on the line and, after consulting VAR, referee Chris Kavanagh sent the Brazilian off.

Mitrovic reacted angrily to that decision and appeared to push the referee. Kavanagh immediately showed the Serbia international a straight red card and he too was dismissed as the Cottagers were reduced to nine men.

Mitrovic, Fulham's top scorer this campaign with 15 goals in all competitions, is poised to take to the pitch at Old Trafford on Sunday for the first time since that incident. United have already wrapped up Champions League qualification and are seeking to confirm a third-placed finish, while Fulham are guaranteed to end the season in 10th.

Fulham boss Silva believes the striker will be no more fired up for the encounter than he would be for any other. Also confirming the Cottagers have no fresh injury worries for the clash at Old Trafford, Silva said: "Mitro doesn't need this type of incentive.

"I think he showed in 25 minutes against Southampton that it doesn't matter the club that he is going to play against, [and] last week against Palace.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-fulham-manchester-united-27005445

WhiteJC

Manchester United vs Fulham Preview: Probable Lineups, Prediction, Tactics, Team News & Key Stats

Manchester United will aim to end the 2022/23 Premier League campaign strongly when they welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Sunday.

The 2022/23 Premier League season will end on Sunday, with all ten matches kicking off simultaneously. While there is still a lot to play for at the bottom of the table, some games will be dead rubbers. And one such fixture will see Manchester United hosting Fulham at Old Trafford.

When Erik ten Hag took charge of Manchester United's first team nearly a year ago, his primary objective would have been guiding the club back to the UEFA Champions League. Anything over and above that was going to be a bonus. So after winning the Carabao Cup and clinching a top-four finish, the Dutchman will be satisfied with the campaign thus far.

But ten Hag will unlikely be satisfied with just the two achievements, considering the Red Devils have the FA Cup final against Manchester City next week. And the Manchester United manager will be eager to keep his troops fit and firing for his team's last game of the 2022/23 season.

On the other hand, Fulham would have been desperate to stop the yo-yo-ing between the Premier League and the EFL Championship after returning to the top flight. So Marco Silva and the club's owner Shahid Khan should be delighted with sealing a top-half finish.

The Cottagers have been a difficult opponent this season, producing memorable results against Liverpool and Chelsea. And irrespective of the results on Sunday, Fulham will finish tenth. So they can play freely on Sunday, considering they have nothing on the line in the game.

Manchester United and Fulham have clashed twice this season, with the Red Devils winning both games. While they needed an injury-time winner in the reverse fixture, they came from a goal down to clinch a 3-1 win in the FA Cup quarter-finals. And The Hard Tackle takes a closer look at the encounter ahead of the latest meeting between the two sides.

Team News & Tactics
Manchester United
Erik ten Hag has a new injury concern hampering his preparations ahead of his side's last Premier League fixture this season. Against Fulham on Sunday, the Manchester United manager will be bereft of the services of five first-team players.

Antony is the latest absentee after sustaining an ankle injury on Thursday against Chelsea. And the Brazilian international will likely miss the FA Cup final versus Manchester City next weekend. Antony has joined Lisandro Martinez (foot), Phil Jones (knee), Marcel Sabitzer (knee), and Donny van de Beek (knee) on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, ten Hag has been sweating over the fitness of Luke Shaw, who picked up a back injury on Thursday. But the Englishman has resumed training and should be available to take on Fulham. However, he might not feature on Sunday, keeping one eye on the FA Cup final.

So Tyrell Malacia will likely start as the left-back, with Erik ten Hag likely to make more changes to the starting eleven. But David de Gea should start between the sticks again, with Manchester United lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation in front of him. Diogo Dalot should come in for Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back, with Harry Maguire returning to afford Raphael Varane some rest.

As for the midfield unit, Christian Eriksen will unlikely feature on Sunday. And ten Hag should also preserve Casemiro for the FA Cup final. So Fred and Scott McTominay will pair up in the double pivot, with Bruno Fernandes reprising his usual no. 10 role.

Anthony Martial is another player whose fitness has been a concern this season. So he will get some rest on Sunday, with Marcus Rashford spearheading the Manchester United attack against Fulham. Finally, Alejandro Garnacho and Jadon Sancho should be the two wide attackers.

Probable Lineup (4-2-3-1): de Gea; Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia; Fred, McTominay; Sancho, Bruno Fernandes, Garnacho; Rashford

Fulham
Unlike his counterpart in the Manchester United dugout, Marco Silva has greeted a positive update on the team news front ahead of the trip to Old Trafford. The Fulham manager should be without three first-team players on Sunday.

The good news is that Daniel James should be fit enough to be a part of the matchday squad. The Welsh international has been recovering from a thigh injury and has been training recently. But Tim Ream (arm), Layvin Kurzawa (knee), and Andreas Pereira (ankle) remain on the sidelines.

Bernd Leno has made a world of difference since arriving from Arsenal last summer. And the German goalkeeper will feature between the sticks on Sunday, with Fulham lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation in front of him.

Kenny Tete and Antonee Robinson are the first-choice full-backs. And the duo will pair up one last time this season on the flanks. Meanwhile, Tosin Adarabioyo and Issa Diop should form the central defensive partnership.

As for the midfield unit, there is no looking past Joao Palhinha and Harrison Reed. Palhinha has been another phenomenal signing and will look to keep Bruno Fernandes in check in the middle of the park. Meanwhile, Tom Cairney should be the most advanced midfielder for Fulham.

Finally, Aleksandar Mitrovic is an automatic pick as the central striker. The Serb will spearhead the Fulham attack against Manchester United on Sunday, with Willian and Harry Wilson being the two wide men.

Probable Lineup (4-2-3-1): Leno; Tete, Adarabioyo, Diop, Robinson; Reed, Palhinha; Wilson, Cairney, Willian; Mitrovic

Key Stats

After losing back-to-back Premier League games against Fulham in March/December 2009, Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 14 against the Cottagers (W11 D3). The Cottagers have lost 18 of their most recent 21 away league games versus Manchester United, with their only win in that time coming in October 2003 under Chris Coleman (3-1). However, they have come away with a draw in two of their last three Premier League visits to Old Trafford.
    Manchester United have won all five of their Premier League games against promoted sides this season, last winning all six in a single campaign back in 2011/12.
    Fulham have only won three of their 53 Premier League away games against sides in the top four of the table, drawing 12 and losing 38. Those wins came at Manchester United (3-1 in October 2003), Tottenham Hotspur (1-0 in March 2013) and Leicester City (2-1 in November 2020).
    Manchester United have lost their final league game in two of the last four seasons (W2), as many times as they had in their previous 33 top-flight campaigns before this (W23 D8). On the other hand, the Cottagers have lost their final league game in four of the most recent five campaigns (D1), going down 4-0 at Sheffield United in the Championship last season.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 14 Premier League goals this season, including three in his two games since returning from suspension. Only Clint Dempsey (17 in 2011/12) and Dimitar Berbatov (15 in 2012/13) have ever netted more in a single season for Fulham.

Player to Watch
Diogo Dalot
Things have not been easy for Diogo Dalot since the break for the 2022 FIFA World Cup ended. The Portuguese international was the undisputed first-choice right-back in the first half of the campaign. But he has had to share game time with Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the last five months. And there is a feeling that Wan-Bissaka has edged ahead of Dalot in recent weeks.

But Dalot's stock remains high at Manchester United, considering he is on the verge of signing a new contract. However, he will be eager to become the first-choice right-back again, especially with Manchester United in the market for a right-back. And ahead of next weekend's FA Cup final, a solid performance can sway Erik ten Hag.

Prediction
Manchester United 2-0 Fulham

Fulham will take the game to Manchester United, despite not having anything on the line this weekend. Aleksandar Mitrovic, in particular, will be out for blood after his dismissal in the FA Cup clash in March. And the Serbian striker has been in fine form since serving his suspension.

But the Red Devils possess one of the most solid home records in Europe's top-five leagues. And despite resting a few players, they will have enough quality to keep Fulham at bay. Meanwhile, Alejandro Garnacho and Marcus Rashford should find the back of the net to guide Manchester United to a 2-0 win, ending the Premier League campaign strongly.

https://thehardtackle.com/round-up/2023/05/27/manchester-united-vs-fulham-preview-probable-lineups-prediction-tactics-team-news-key-stats-3/

WhiteJC

Team News: Manchester United vs. Fulham injury, suspension list, predicted XIs

Manchester United will welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon knowing that a win would guarantee third position in the Premier League table.

The Red Devils secured a top-four spot with a 4-1 success over Chelsea on Thursday, while Fulham have already claimed 10th position in the division, and here Sports Mole rounds up the team news.

MANCHESTER UNITED vs. FULHAM
MANCHESTER UNITED
Out: Lisandro Martinez (foot), Donny van de Beek (knee), Marcel Sabitzer (knee)

Doubtful: Antony (ankle), Luke Shaw (back), Tom Heaton (ankle)

Sports Mole's predicted XI: De Gea; Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia; Fernandes, Casemiro, McTominay; Sancho, Martial, Rashford

FULHAM
Out: Tim Ream (arm), Andreas Pereira (ankle), Layvin Kurzawa (knee)

Doubtful: Daniel James (thigh)

Sports Mole's predicted XI: Leno; Tete, Adarabioyo, Diop, Robinson; Reed, Palhinha; Wilson, Cairney, Willian; Mitrovic

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/injury-news/team-news/team-news-man-utd-vs-fulham-injury-suspension-list-predicted-xis_514752.html

WhiteJC

Fulham out to break record points tally against Manchester United

Fulham will attempt to break their record Premier League points tally when they face Manchester United on Sunday.

The Cottagers have enjoyed a successful campaign in the top flight after winning promotion from the Championship last term.

Having picked up 52 points from their 37 games, Fulham are guaranteed to end the 2022-23 season in 10th position.

On the surface, it may appear that Fulham have little to play for on Sunday, but they head to Old Trafford with the chance to create a new club record.

Fulham are just one point away from equalling their record points tally for a Premier League season, and a victory on Sunday would set a new high.

The Cottagers will be hoping that they fare better on Sunday than they did on their last trip to Old Trafford in March when they were beaten 3-1 in an ill-tempered FA Cup tie.

Fulham boss Marco Silva, Willian and Aleksandr Mitrovic were all shown straight red cards, and the latter was suspended for eight games after he pushed referee Chris Kavanagh.

If the visitors are to claim all three points then they will need to end a 14-year winless run in Premier League meetings with Man United.

Since beating the Red Devils in 2009, Fulham have gone 14 top-flight games without a victory against Sunday's opponents (W11, D3).

They will at least head to Old Trafford off the back of a positive run of results after picking up seven points from their last three games.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/fulham-out-to-break-record-points-tally-against-man-united_514870.html

WhiteJC

Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag sets new Marcus Rashford goal target ahead of Fulham showdown
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag could start Marcus Rashford in Sunday's Premier League clash with Fulham.

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has challenged Marcus Rashford to score 40 goals across all competitions for the club next season. The England international broke the 30-goal barrier for the first time in his career after netting in his side's stirring 4-1 win over Chelsea on Thursday night. Now, the onus is on the 25-year-old to get even better.

Rashford has been one of United's best players this term, bouncing back after previously toiling under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick.

And Ten Hag has now challenged the England international to be even better next term as the club look to win a first Premier League title since 2013.

"Yes, I think there is more to come from Marcus," he said.

"There's a lot of room for improvement in his game and I'm convinced he can score even more.

"When you take, for instance, the last 10 games he didn't score many goals. I think only two or three, so yes he can improve.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1774905/Manchester-United-news-Erik-ten-Hag-Marcus-Rashford-Fulham

SP

I think I'd throw up seeing Mitro in that kit, it was bad enough with Ivor.