more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 10/06/23...

Started by WhiteJC, June 10, 2023, 09:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Exeter hero Jay kicks off new footgolf course on hole named in dad's honour

He took the time out of a busy schedule to officially open Devon's newest footgolf course

Exeter City hero Jay Stansfield has swapped goalposts for flagpoles as he officially opened a new footgolf course near Cullompton. Jay, who has just finished a spell on loan at Exeter City from Premier League side Fulham, played a round at the course between Cullompton and Exeter on the B3181, which opened last month.

Jay said: "It's been a good morning, coming down, seeing the locals and seeing what a good cause the lads are doing setting this golf course up. It's a lot different to playing on the pitch; you must be much more clever and work out a technique. I've enjoyed my time playing here today.

"It's a good training exercise, finding your range of passing, and being able to have a bit of fun, enjoy myself and support a local business."

One of the holes is dedicated to the memory of Jay's father and Exeter City striker Adam Stansfield who died in 2010 while still a player for the Grecians.

Jay added: "It's good to see; it's amazing and a great gesture from everyone who has worked their socks off getting the pitch created. It's a real honour to come here and play on the hole."

Stuart Pears, director of Footgolf Devon, who runs the course, added: "It's fantastic to welcome Jay here today, we've been chatting to him for a couple of weeks, and for him to come and support a sport which is growing not just locally but nationally as well, we're proud of him coming out. He had some great shots and putts, he didn't quite get the course record, but hopefully, he'll be back again.

"It's been really good since opening; we've had good feedback, and many families are coming out to enjoy it as it's great for everyone. We've only been open for a month, but we're generating a lot of interest, getting people moving and active of all ages."

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeter-hero-jay-kicks-new-8500905

WhiteJC

Declan Rice's Departure: West Ham Identify Potential Successors
West Ham's Proactive Strategy to Fill the Void Left by Declan Rice

As football enthusiasts continue to digest the news of Declan Rice's imminent departure from the London Stadium, the West Ham management is taking proactive measures to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible.

Joao Palhinha: The Fulham Stalwart and Top Target
The Hammers' eyes have turned towards Fulham's steadfast midfielder, Joao Palhinha. With a noteworthy debut season in south London under his belt, Palhinha has caught the attention of West Ham's decision-makers. Kieran Gill of The Daily Mail reports that the Portuguese international, who topped the league with 147 tackles last season, is the prime candidate to fill the shoes of the departing captain.

Even though Fulham parted with a sizable £20 million to secure Palhinha's services a mere 12 months ago, the Hammers remain confident of their ability to lure the talented player away from their London counterparts.

The Search for Replacements: Other Names on the Radar
In an atmosphere of change, West Ham's chairman, David Sullivan, recently indicated the club's willingness to delve into the transfer market for Rice's replacement, potentially even considering multiple players to bolster their ranks.

Interestingly, Manchester City's Kalvin Phillips has also emerged on the Hammers' radar. West Ham had previously placed a hefty £50 million bid for the 27-year-old in January 2022, before he opted for a move to City in the subsequent window. Despite limited starting opportunities at the Etihad Stadium during the 2022-23 Premier League season, Phillips appears set on the challenge of earning a regular spot in Manchester City's first eleven.

Manchester United's Scott McTominay: A Potential Option?
Scott McTominay of Manchester United is another player potentially being considered to step into Rice's boots. The Scottish international had a challenging time securing regular game time in the concluding months of the season under Erik ten Hag's guidance, and a move to West Ham could offer a fresh start.

Available Talent from the Championship
As the summer transfer window approaches, West Ham's search for potential additions expands beyond the Premier League. Following Southampton's unfortunate relegation to the Championship, the club's captain, James Ward-Prowse, could be available at a more affordable price. His availability and potential fit within the Hammers' squad will certainly be a point of discussion during the transfer period.

Harvey Barnes: Potential Competition from Aston Villa
The Hammers are also reportedly showing interest in Leicester City's Harvey Barnes, although they face competition from Aston Villa. The coming months will reveal whether West Ham's active approach to the transfer window will pay off, ensuring a solid squad despite the departure of their influential captain, Declan Rice.

https://eplindex.com/89487/declan-rices-departure-west-ham-identify-potential-successors.html

WhiteJC

Foxes fancy Cairney
Leicester City are interested in signing Fulham captain Tom Cairney this summer, according to the Daily Mail's Tom Collomosse.

The Foxes are poised to undergo a major revamp of their squad following relegation from the Premier League and believe the Scottish international to be a potential key player as they look to bounce back to the top flight straight away. The 32 year-old has won promotion from the Championship three times with Fulham but the prospect of the classy midfielder, who made 38 appearances and scored three goals as the Whites finished tenth in the top flight, is particularly remote.

Cairney, who is under contract until next June with Fulham holding an option to extend that deal by a further twelve months, is content at the Cottagers having seen his career – which looked in serious jeopardy following another long-term knee injury – revitalised under Marco Silva. The Nottingham-born attacking midfielder has made 283 appearances, scoring 43 goals and adding 32 assists, since signing for Fulham from Blackburn in July 2015 and the Londoners are not countenancing letting him leave this summer. Leicester would need to match his considerable wages as well as tabling a large enough offer to tempt Fulham into selling.

The experienced midfielder was utilised mostly as a substitute last term after injury, becoming the most used substitute in Premier League history by making 33 appearances from the bench, but finished the season in the starting line-up following Andreas Pereira's ankle injury. Cairney scored twice against the Foxes at Craven Cottage in May – and is likely to play a crucial role in the coming campaign, even if it is initially from the bench.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/foxes-fancy-cairney/

WhiteJC

'West Ham make Palhinha their top target'
West Ham United have made Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha their top target as they seek a replacement for Declan Rice, according to the Daily Mail.

The Hammers are 'confident' they can land the Portuguese international for around £40m after lifting the Europa Conference League in Prague this week. There are no further details in the brief Mail report – and this seems optimistic in the extreme from the West Ham sources who have briefed Mail journalists Kieran Gill and Tum Balogun.

Palhinha, who enjoyed an outstanding first season in the English top flight after being reunited with Marco Silva at Craven Cottage following a £17m move from Sporting, said as recently as last weekend that he was very happy at Fulham, who have him under contract for a further four years with another twelve-month option. The 27 year-old led the Premier League in tackles last term and the Hammers would probably have to pay closer to the £100m they have been demanding for their departing captain to tempt Fulham into a sale.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/west-ham-make-palhinha-their-top-target/

WhiteJC

Stansfield christens new footgolf hole named after his father
I've never seen the point of foot golf – but this Devon Live story might just have changed my this morning.

Dan has written extensively over the past year about his experiences of getting to know Adam Stansfield during his time at university in Exeter, where he became something of a fanatical City fan. We've all grown to love Jay Stansfield since he took what must have been a very tough decision to leave his boyhood club and sign for Fulham's academy a few years ago. There was a great deal of pride following his first steps in professional football – and the emotions were stirred by Stansfield's return to St. James' Park on loan.

Young Jay signed off at Exeter in style and the Stansfield name will forever be synonymous with City following the work of the Adam Stansfield foundation as well as how the club and the city rallied round the family in the aftermath of Adam's sad passing. It remains to be sign where our young striker will be playing next season, especially as the Grecians are keen on another loan deal, but the 20 year-old – who threw himself into several community projects down in the south west last term – opened the new foot golf course in Cullompton, where a hole has been named in his Dad's honour, this week.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/stansfield-christens-new-footgolf-hole-named-after-his-father/

WhiteJC

Spurs threatened with legal action over 'not fair' transfer pursuit which involves Premier League rival

Spurs have been warned not to pursue a deal to sign Shakhtar Donetsk winger Manor Solomon on a free transfer after his impressive loan spell with Fulham.

Solomon has emerged as a possible target for Spurs this summer after scoring four goals in 19 Premier League appearances for Fulham this season, starting only four of those games.

Fulham are hopeful of extending the Israel international's stay at Craven Cottage but the player's situation has been complicated by the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

Solomon has a year remaining on his contract with Shakhtar Donetsk but FIFA regulations allowed him to unilaterally suspend it due to the Russo-Ukraine war, with Fulham capitalising by bringing him in for a season.

FIFA have controversially extended that ruling, allowing Solomon to play for a club outside of Ukraine for another season before his Shakhtar deal expires in summer 2024, essentially robbing them of any prospective transfer fee.

With Spurs reportedly exploring the option of signing Solomon, Shakhtar chief executive Sergei Palkin has threatened legal action.

"I contacted Solomon and his agent and invited him back to our club," Palkin told ESPN.

"I said 'you can play all the games in Champions League, you will be in the starting eleven' but he doesn't want to move and I believe he will stay in England.

"Finally, where he will go, I don't know. In any case, if you go to Tottenham, we will deal with Tottenham in court in this case. Everything comes to a simple situation: it sounds like unjust enrichment.

"Can you imagine, we pay big money for this player and finally Tottenham receives him for free? It is not fair in respect of our club. We will definitely go to court and we will fight for ourselves.

"I would like to send a message to those clubs who are trying to sign our players without paying a transfer fee: Shakhtar will file claims for unjust enrichment against players or clubs who have enriched themselves and benefitted by obtaining a financial advantage.

"We believe these clubs who enrich themselves at Shakhtar's expense will be obliged to pay restitutions. Those clubs should understand what they do when they decide to sign our players."

Arsenal have been advised to sign Solomon themselves but the player's murky contract situation, as well as Shakhtar's stance, may put off prospective suitors.

https://www.football365.com/news/spurs-threatened-with-legal-action-not-fair-transfer-pursuit-solomon-fulham

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney to Leicester City: Potential price tag and Fulham's stance on sale discussed

Yesterday, it was revealed that Leicester City are one of the sides showing an interest in Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney.

Daily Mail reporter Tom Collomosse revealed that Leicester City are keen on Cairney, 32, ahead of the summer transfer window.

The long-standing Fulham favourite featured 32 times in the Premier League last season, scoring twice with both goals coming in the Cottagers' 5-3 win over Leicester City last month.

He's in the final year of his contract but Fulham have the option to extend his stay by a further year, effectively meaning that Cairney is under contract at Craven Cottage for another two years.

Price tag?
This isn't the first time that Cairney has had interest, but it is the first time in a long time. Newcastle United had a £20million bid for Cairney knocked back in the summer of 2017 and a year later, West Ham had a £20million offer knocked back too, with Fulham said have been holding out for £30million at the time.

Cairney was in the prime of his career then. He was scoring and creating goals for Fulham and whilst he remains an important player, the task of creativity in the Fulham ranks has been passed on to others.

It's difficult to see Cairney fetching half that amount now. Leicester City may have money to spend this summer if they can sell James Maddison or Harvey Barnes sooner rather than later, but spending an eight-figure amount on Cairney seems unlikely, and unnecessary.

A seven-figure fee seems more reasonable, but it's a difficult one to predict.

Fulham's stance?
Fulham finished in 10th place of the Premier League table last season. They're making huge strides under Marco Silva and they look set to bring in some new talent this summer, which could push Cairney down the pecking order despite him playing a lot of football last season.

And given his contract situation, Cairney could be one of the names on the chopping block this summer. Leicester and any other interested side may have to put an offer on the table to find out whether or not Cairney is up for sale this summer, and indeed how much Fulham want for him.

But he'd be a great signing for the Foxes if they could pull it off, with the club in store for a tough 2023/24 Championship campaign.

https://the72.co.uk/2023/06/09/tom-cairney-to-leicester-city-potential-price-tag-and-fulhams-stance-on-sale-discussed/

WhiteJC

Duffy signs for Norwich
Shane Duffy has signed a three-year contract with Norwich City this morning, which will become active on July 1st following the end of his short-term deal at Fulham.

The Republic of Ireland international moved to Craven Cottage from Brighton initially on loan at the end of the summer transfer window, but made the switch permanent in January to allow the Whites to bring in another loanee in the shape of Cedric Soares from Arsenal. Duffy made seven appearances for Fulham as Marco Silva's side finished tenth in their first season back in the Premier League, but his only starts came in the cup competitions.

The centre half told Norwich's website:

"As soon as I first heard about it [the interest from Norwich City], I've been excited. I spoke with the head coach, and some people at the club, and they've really made me excited about this opportunity. I know it's a great club, a lot of Irish connection as well with a few players here and they speak very highly about the club. I'm ready for a new chapter in my career. And I'm excited to help the team get back to the Premier League."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/duffy-signs-for-norwich/

WhiteJC

Duffy joins Norwich after Fulham departure

Shane Duffy has joined Norwich City on a free transfer.

The 31-year-old defender, released by Fulham at the end of his contract, has signed a three-year deal with the Canaries.

"I'm ready for a new chapter in my career. And I'm excited to help the team get back to the Premier League," he told Norwich's website.

Duffy joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Brighton last summer and on a permanent deal in January.

He did not start a league game for the Whites, but turning his loan move into a permanent one enabled them to sign Cedric Soares on loan from Arsenal.

Norwich head coach David Wagner said: "We're delighted to welcome Shane to the club. He is a player with a vast amount of experience, both domestically and on the international stage.

"I'm confident that he'll be a great fit for our squad and brings not only the on-field qualities that we have been looking for, but leadership and desire to help drive our club forward.

"From my conversations with Shane, his vision was clear. You can feel that determination and hunger to play and win football games."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/duffy-joins-norwich-after-fulham-departure

WhiteJC

Star admits Fulham 'showed serious interest' in signing him after 9-goal season

Eredivisie defender Josh Brenet wants a move away from FC Twente this summer while confirming that Fulham showed 'serious interest' in taking him to the Premier League during the January transfer window.

While Fulham deserve massive credit for the successes of Joao Palhinha, Willian, Manor Solomon and Bernd Leno – all four thriving as the Cottagers marked their return to the top-flight with a tenth-place finish – there was to be rather less success when it came to bringing a new right-back to West London.

Kevin Mbabu barely kicked a ball in anger before being cut loose in January. Cedric Soares, meanwhile, did not come close to ousting the fantastic Kenny Tete during a forgettable loan spell.

The hope will be then that, if Josh Brenet arrives from FC Twente at long last, he will thrive where his predecessors failed.

A long-standing Fulham target, the 29-year-old Dutch international held talks with the Cottagers in January before Cedric signed on the dotted line instead. Marco Silva's side may now be tempted to renew their interest, with Cedric returning to Arsenal.

Could Eredivisie ace Joshua Brenet finally join Fulham?
"The club knows my dreams and ambitions. I would love to take another step up this summer," Brenet tells Voetbal International.

"I'm very curious about where my ceiling is. I had great years at PSV, after which it didn't work out in Germany (with Hoffenheim). At Twente, I got into a flow again and now I'm very curious what exactly my level is.

"Last winter, Fulham showed a serious interest in me. That's not to say I can handle Premier League football just like that, but a club of a similar level, I would like to try.

"I'm ambitious."

An excellent ball-carrier who loves to embark upon marauding runs into the final third; Brenet was a major part of a Twente side who finished fifth in the Eredivisie table last term. He scored a highly-impressive nine goals while setting up four more.

And Twente may be forced to consider offers with Brenet entering the final 12 months of his contract in Enschede.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/06/09/star-admits-fulham-showed-serious-interest-in-signing-him-after-9-goal-season/

WhiteJC

Shane Duffy: Republic of Ireland defender joins Norwich City after leaving Fulham

Shane Duffy has played 55 times for the Republic of Ireland

Norwich City have signed Republic of Ireland centre-back Shane Duffy on a free transfer.

Duffy, 31, was released by Fulham at the end of his contract and has signed a three-year deal with the Canaries.

"I'm ready for a new chapter in my career. And I'm excited to help the team get back to the Premier League," he told Norwich's website.

Duffy joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Brighton last summer and on a permanent deal in January.

He did not start a league game for the Whites, but turning his loan move into a permanent one enabled the west London club to sign Cedric Soares on loan from Arsenal.

Having started his career at Everton, Duffy has also played for Blackburn and been on loan at Burnley and Celtic.

Norwich head coach David Wagner said: "We're delighted to welcome Shane to the club. He is a player with a vast amount of experience, both domestically and on the international stage.

"I'm confident that he'll be a great fit for our squad and brings not only the on-field qualities that we have been looking for, but leadership and desire to help drive our club forward.

"From my conversations with Shane, his vision was clear. You can feel that determination and hunger to play and win football games."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65855759

WhiteJC

The Best interview: Shoot! first, ask questions later...

George Best was one of the biggest names in football. He was so famous the media labelled him "the fifth Beatle". The 'swinging sixties' saw Best elevated to star status in a way no other footballer had in England. But the limelight, attention and resultant trappings of fame took its toll on a player so fabulously gifted. Even now people say he was the greatest they've ever seen.

At just 15 Belfast-born Best was spotted by Manchester United scout, Bob Bishop who immediately sent a telegram to United boss, Matt Busby;

"I think I've found you a genius", it read.

He made his debut at Old Trafford against West Brom in September 1963. His first goal in a United shirt came three months later in a 5-1 win over Burnley.

In all he spent 11 years at Old Trafford making 361 league appearances, scoring 137 goals. He helped United win two league titles as well as a famous night at Wembley in 1968 when they became the first English club to win the European Cup.

In March 1966 he received plaudits from around the world for his performance in the Estádio da Luz when he tore Benfica apart. A Benfica side including many of the players who would inspire their country to third place at the World Cup barely a few months later.

Representing Northern Ireland meant he never appeared at a World Cup himself, during an age when this was the measure of how good a player you were. Best broke through that barrier with his talent.

On pitches more suited to livestock, his incredible close control made a mockery of many a defender. Fans loved him. United fans adored him. Then he walked out on the club.

He returned but it was clear his heart wasn't quite in it.

His final appearance for United was New Year's Day 1974 at Loftus Road, where a struggling side were well beaten, 0-3 by QPR. Best looked lost. United looked a shadow of their stature, sitting in the relegation zone. Without their mercurial hero, they lost the battle to stay in the First Division. By then he was long gone.

He'd fallen out with manager Tommy Docherty and retreated to his Manchester nightclub, Slack Alice.

Barry Fry, a teammate when the two were teenagers in United's youth side, managed to persuade him to turn out in a couple of pre-season matches for Southern League club, Dunstable Town where Fry was the manager.

After three games for Fourth Division Stockport County and a couple for Cork City in Ireland, Best was attracted to the glitz and glamour of the North American Soccer League. He signed for Los Angeles Aztecs and soon re-discovered his mojo.

After a summer season on America's west coast, he was keen to maintain his fitness and accepted an offer from Fulham Chairman, Ernie Clay. Fulham were in the Second Division at the time and 12 months before Best rocked up, they were losing finalists in the FA Cup.

Clay had dreams of assembling a team of stars at Craven Cottage. Two years earlier, club captain Alan Mullery persuaded former England World Cup-winning captain, Bobby Moore to join him on the banks of the Thames. A year later they were FA Cup Finalists.

'Mullers' had moved onto the south coast and his first managerial appointment at Brighton. Clay now saw an opportunity to entice Best and one of his pals, Rodney Marsh to the Cottage to boost the gate.

It worked too, over 21,000 packed into the ground to see Best make his debut against Bristol Rovers. An increase of 130% on the attendance in the corresponding fixture the season before.

He duly obliged his adoring public by scoring after just 71 seconds.

Three weeks later he and Marsh turned on the style in front of the London Weekend cameras when they led Hereford United a merry dance in a 4-1 win. But it wasn't long before the other side of Bestie was all to see. A week later he was sent off at Southampton for giving referee, Lester Shapter, too much lip. It always was his mouth which got him into trouble.

He was enjoying his football again, but this wasn't enough to push Fulham towards promotion. The Hereford win had them fourth. By November they were in the wrong half of the table, where they stayed for the rest of the season.

In November 1976 George Best gave an interview to Shoot! Magazine.

I always think these sorts of things are like gold when you look back now. They're a player's thoughts and impressions right in the middle of their career. Not in a book written years after, not with the benefit of hindsight, just the views of a principal actor in the midst of theatre.

Best's sojourn on the Thames lasted barely a year. At the beginning of November 1977, he walked out of the club claiming he hadn't been paid. Something the club disputed.

The fact it never ended in court would suggest there were other extenuating circumstances contributing to this, and perhaps he was just bored again.

This is what makes the Shoot! Interview so valuable as things had not turned sour by then and he was full of hope.

The perfect ending to a bad period in my life
"When I knew I was being allowed to play in the Football League again I was over the moon. It made a perfect ending to what had been a bad period of my life.

"Yet just being part of a League club wasn't the end of it – I had to prove myself. I knew that, for lots of fans I was G. Best, former star, now very much on trial for his footballing life."

The media were lapping up the renewed opportunity to fill column inches they'd struggled to find so much enthusiasm for since Best's disappearance.

"I can understand people thinking this was just another comeback by a player who had earlier done all the wrong things. Some writers said that I'd be okay as long as I wasn't bored with the game. Their bet was that I'd be bored pretty quickly.

"But I know more about me than they do. I'd made comebacks galore before, and I accept that. But they had all been with the same club, Manchester United.

"It was a club with tradition and I felt that some things were not right there and – well, yes, I got bored. Though I've kicked a football around since I was just 18 months old and love the game, I was quite happy to get out of it.

"Yet when I went to America I felt the old enthusiasm coming back. I knew that I wanted to be part of the English scene again. And instead of making my umpteenth comeback with United, I went to a completely new set-up. For me, Fulham is a great club."

Best will always be synonymous with United. His finest hours on a football pitch were in the club's colours. Yet he first walked out on them in 1972. Over the next 18 months, his story at Old Trafford was one of missed training sessions, front-page headlines and drunken nights. In between there were the odd appearances in a football kit, but life would never be the same.

After one walkout cameras found him choosing sun, sea and girls rather than the mud and rain of Manchester. He was interviewed and revealed the strain of the media pressure he'd been under. He mentioned the phrase 'nervous breakdown' to illustrate how the scrutiny was affecting him. Back then little was really understood about something we now refer to as mental health. But it was clear he was falling out of love with something he held dear.

When he arrived at Craven Cottage not every player was enamoured to see him, possibly due to the disparity in wage packets. But Best knuckled down, determined to prove his fitness.

His time in America had shown he could play in short, sharp bursts. But English football demanded 90-minute fitness.

He was very complimentary about his new teammates, as he told Shoot!;

"I know better than most that football is a team game. Take Fulham. It was great to return to England and see Bobby Moore playing with so much commanding skill at the back.

"He can control things brilliantly. And John Mitchell, who knows how to score goals, is another fine player, learning all the time and a Londoner through and through.

"There are others. There's Les Barrett, a long-term servant of the club, with well over 400 League games to his credit. Now he just has to be one of the best wingers in the business. He's scored his fair share of goals, too.

"As for John Evanson – well, I heard our coach Bobby Campbell saying that Evanson just has to be the best free-transfer player ever. I'll go along with that.

"Then there is the club captain, Alan Slough. He's very much on my side. I've had a couple of bits of trouble since I came back, but Alan knows what it is all about and he does his best, as skipper, to protect me. He's very involved in the coaching side of the game as well, and that is another bonus."

Then to demonstrate his positive attitude towards his new teammates he added;

"No point running through the whole team. Fulham has the right blend of talent and the club is definitely going to make progress. No arguments."

We discovered when he was part of the Soccer Saturday team in the late 90s that punditry and predictions weren't necessarily a strong point of his.

Rodney and I have a remarkable understanding
He went on to cover the subject of his stardom on the football pitch as he accepted being a marked man in terms of crowd reaction away from home, and from opponents whether it be at home or away.

"Take the people who love to come and boo me. I can't complain. It's their right, and they pay through the turnstile for the privilege. But I can't let it affect me. There is one way to silence the boo-merchants and that is to get in a winning position."

Best then went onto pay tribute to his partner in crime, Marsh;

"Our gate receipts and attendance figures show that people want to see our kind of show, Rodney and myself. Incidentally Rodney Marsh is tremendous. The things he does out there on the park just defy description.

"A couple of the goals he's scored this season have been as good as I've seen anywhere, especially the second one against Hereford at the Cottage – though I must say the one I got against Peterborough away from home was a little Irish gem.

"Rodney and I have a remarkable understanding. I know that some purists must have been annoyed when, against Hereford, he came back and actually tackled me to get the ball – but remember we were well ahead at the time and we weren't taking any risks."

He then addressed the issue of his disciplinary record;

"Now things are going well except that I obviously still have to learn to keep my mouth shut when I fell outraged about things that happen on the park. I'm always talking my way into trouble and when you think of the people who kick other people around and get away with it, then it seems a little bit unfair.

"I've got to bear in mind all the time that I am George Best, and that people think I'm something special. I don't feel all that special when a game is under way. I'd rather be one of a team. But it's obvious that I'm always going to be picked out."

Best ended the first part of the interview giving a positive spin on his prospects for the rest of the season.

"I'll be disappointed if I don't score around 20 goals this season. When I was in America this summer, I worked really hard to get my weight down and get fit.

"I knew all the time that I couldn't give up football. In the States, I hit 15 goals in 23 games. I'd had a couple of terrible years, but I wanted to remind people of the 12 years when I did things right."

He would end up disappointed as he only found the target eight times in League and Cup. But what must've pleased his supporters was he turned out 32 times in the League and an additional eight cup matches so few could doubt his commitment.

There are times when I look back and realise I did something stupid or daft
In part two of the interview refuses the opportunity to turn back the clock;

"I don't really want to change things at all. There are times when I look back and realise I did something stupid or daft.

"But, you see, the things that get me into trouble are all part of my character. I could perhaps try to be a carbon copy of the model player, the guy who never steps out of line or says the wrong thing – but if I did, I wouldn't be George Best. I'm sure I'd lose something of the talent which I have.

"It's all a matter of learning when to keep my mouth firmly shut. You can't tape it up because I've got to call for the ball, shout to teammates on the park, otherwise I'd feel useless.

"But in my years in football, since I was 17, I've been kicked about a lot and I know that talking doesn't hurt as much as being kicked."

But then George looked up and his eyes lit up;

"Yes, after all, there is something I regret about my past life. It is that I didn't keep as fit as I should have done. When I wasn't playing, I didn't do all I could to stay in peak fitness.

"But at Fulham, there is Rodney Marsh and there is me – two entertainers who are determined to prove we can still do it. Determined to prove the people who wrote us off are wrong."

At the time Best really did want to see Fulham succeed, as he went on to explain;

"I'm on a five-year contract. Just as long as the legs keep going, and it gets easier with each passing game, then I want to be involved in the best football I can.

"Most of all I want to be part of a Fulham side that goes out to play good football and doesn't get bogged down in the usual sort of game we see.

"Take the American scene. Players like Rodney and I go out there and we know what is going on. There's no doubt in my mind the United States will start winning things at international level and it's going to be soon.

"We try and show them the tricks of the trade but what is important is seeing the number of kids who are taking up the game, rather than baseball and American Football.

"The American growth of soccer has taken time and lots of people thought it wouldn't work, but I can tell you there are friendly games out there which are drawing crowds in excess of 40,000."

Playing for my country is a great honour
This interview came during a time in George's life when he was clearly very happy. His form for his new club had seen him included in a Northern Ireland squad for the first time in three years.

Up to September 1971 he was a regular for his country, but he'd made just three of the 30 squads selected since then.

Manager Danny Blanchflower called him up for the World Cup Qualifying match against the Dutch in Rotterdam.

45,000 turned up to see Best share the field alongside Pat Jennings and Johan Cruyff. He inspired his teammates to produce one of the best results they'd achieved to that point as they held the 1974 World Cup Finalists to a 2-2 draw.

"Playing for my country is a great honour. I've never been one to say that if I was born an Englishman I'd have been better off. It is a special feeling to pull on that green shirt – and it is to my personal regret that for one reason or another I've missed so many chances of adding to my 33 caps.

"But when Danny said he wanted to give me a run, then I was really delighted.

"I went out against the Dutch determined to show I'm a better player than Johan Cruyff. I am not a big head, but during the first half anybody would have said I was the world class player......not Cruyff.

"I really think we can make the Finals. If we get another good result in Belgium on Wednesday (10th November) we must be in with a great chance.

"We Irishmen are very proud of Danny Blanchflower. In fact, just before we started this interview, I'd been talking to Rodney Marsh about the Tottenham Hotspur team which achieved the double and won the FA Cup in successive years at the start of the 1960's.

"Danny captained that side. Rodney and I were saying how it was an inspired kind of side, that scored goals and did things right."

Unfortunately for Best and the Irish they lost 0-2 in Brussels. He made two more appearances for his country before his final outing when the Dutch arrived in Belfast. Cruyff was again in the visitors line-up as Willy van der Kerkhof scored the only goal of the game. Northern Ireland missed their chance to make the Finals but four years later they were more successful.

During this interview, George confirmed;

"Playing for Northern Ireland in the World Cup series just has to be a big ambition for me."

Once the Irish qualified for the Finals in Spain there was much speculation as to whether Billy Bingham would pick him for what would clearly be his one and only appearance in a World Cup. He'd been playing back in the States with San Jose Earthquakes, who by his own admission were "a bad side". As Best was 35 without a League club and five years from his last cap, Bingham looked elsewhere.

"I had half a chance to go, I suppose. Billy was under a bit of pressure to take me – sentimental stuff, really."

In the end, Bingham took a fresh-faced 16-year-old, Norman Whiteside. Ironically, he'd been seen in a United shirt as much as Best had in the previous eight years, given he was still to make his first-team debut. But Whiteside went, beat Pele's record as the youngest player at a World Cup and probably fulfilled the dreams Bestie thought he might've done.

Perhaps there was something of the spirit of Best in Whiteside in Spain '82. Manchester United's scout, Bishop, who'd discovered Best, had been the first to offer Whiteside a trial at the club.

Bingham never publicly regretted his decision but in 1986 he did the opposite when faced with the decision to select an ageing star who was also without a club contract. 41-year-old Pat Jennings was on Everton's books as cover for Neville Southall towards the end of the season, and Bingham selected him for Mexico.

As mentioned earlier, things turned sour for Best's relationship with Fulham. In March 1977 the player needed 55 stitches to facial wounds after crashing his car into a lamppost outside Harrods at 4 am, after a drinking session.

He scored in his final outing at Craven Cottage in a 3-3 draw with Sunderland. Then a week later he wore the Fulham number seven shirt for the very last time in a defeat at Stoke City. He left complaining of unpaid wages but the club had begun to fine him for missing training sessions so it was clear all was not well in the relationship.

Best returned to the States for another four seasons, turning out for Hibernian in Scotland in the winter months.

Things didn't end particularly well for George's playing career as he seemed to just go from one project to another without really concentrating on anything in any great detail. But it is clear to see at the time of this interview he was happy again.

Things right now are just about perfect
The final word of this fascinating interview belonged to Best;

"No matter what, if football is in the bloodstream then you feel lost, drained, if you're not playing it. I've done silly things but I don't regret them, because in Fulham terms, in Irish terms, things right now are just about perfect."

https://footballbh.net/2023/06/09/george-best-shoot-interview/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace and Fulham to submit Viktor Gyokeres offers - Sources

Crystal Palace and Fulham are readying offers for Coventry City star Viktor Gyokeres, sources have told Football Insider.

Premier League clubs are targeting the 25-year-old following the Sky Blues' playoff final defeat against Luton last month (27 May).

It is believed Everton, Burnley and Wolves are also admirers of Gyokeres following his impressive goalscoring form in the Championship.

The Sweden international has just 12 months left to run on his contract at Coventry – and it is believed that his priority is to secure a move to England's top flight.

Despite his precarious contract situation, the Sky Blues will likely command a big-money fee for the striker – who fired them into promotion contention in the 2022-23 campaign.

Gyokeres scored 22 goals and registered 12 assists in 50 appearances across all competitions as Coventry finished fifth in the Championship.

The former Brighton man has now managed 41 goals and 17 assists in 121 games in the second tier and is keen to make an impression in the Premier League.

He has also turned out 13 times for Sweden's senior side – scoring three goals.

Fulham and Crystal Palace finished 10th and 11th respectively in the 2022-23 campaign and are now seeking to build on their success in the summer transfer window.

The Cottagers already have Aleksandar Mitrovic in their ranks – with the Serbia international grabbing 14 league goals in the club's return to the top flight.

Palace have Odsonne Edouard, Jean-Philippe Mateta and Jordan Ayew on the books – but none of their out-and-out strikers managed 10 goals in the 2022-23 campaign.

Long-serving winger Wilfried Zaha has been widely linked with a move away from Selhurst Park as his contract reaches its conclusion later this month.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-crystal-palace-and-fulham-to-submit-viktor-gyokeres-offers/

WhiteJC

Tottenham target Manor Solomon set to decide next move amid Shakhtar Donetsk threat
Fulham are also hoping to sign the Israeli winger on a permanent deal after a successful loan spell in west London

Tottenham and Fulham target Manor Solomon will resolve his future after Israel's Euro 2024 qualifiers this month.

Solomon spent last season on loan at Fulham from Shakhtar Donetsk after FIFA ruled that foreign players in Ukraine could suspend their contracts following Russia's invasion of the country.

The ruling still exists now and Solomon has attracted interest from Fulham and Tottenham ahead of the summer window.

The winger is set to play for Israel in Euro 2024 qualifiers against Belarus and Andorra this month, and will decide his future after those games.

Shakhtar are unhappy at the prospect of Solomon leaving for free, however, and their chief executive Sergei Palkin has threatened to sue.

"Where he (Solomon) will go, I don't know," he told ESPN. "In any case, if you go to Tottenham, we will deal with Tottenham in court in this case. Everything comes to a simple situation: it sounds like unjust enrichment."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-transfer-news-manor-solomon-b1086772.html

WhiteJC

Fulham trio make England U18s debuts
Young Fulham starlets Aaron Loupalo-Bi, Lemar Gordon and Chibuzo Nwoko made their England under-18s debuts this afternoon as Neil Ryan's side fought back from 2-0 to draw their first fixture at the Lisbon International Tournament against Norway.

Striker Loupalo-Bi led the line for the start for the Young Lions after scoring 21 goals in 29 games as he won the Premier League U18 golden boot. England were competitive in what was an even contest but Norway added to their slender half-time with a second shortly after half-time. They halved their arrears thanks to Millwall's Robin Esse on 63 minutes and Ealing-born winger Gordon replaced the goalscorer immediately afterwards. Midfielder Nwoko was introduced off the bench with twelve minutes to go and added more dynamism to the English engine.

Ryan's side kept plugging away and earned a deserved shared of the spoils two minutes in added time when substitute Rio Kyerematen fired an unstoppable effort into the top corner to make his eighteenth birthday in some style. England take on Australia in their second time on Sunday morning before finishing their tournament against hosts Portugal on Tuesday evening.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/fulham-trio-make-england-u18s-debuts/

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Karlsson
Fulham are among a host of European clubs keen on signing AZ Alkmaar winger Jesper Karlsson, according to reports from Holland.

Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport claimed this week that Lazio are lining up a move for the Swedish international, but Dutch website Voetbal Nieuws suggests that the Serie A side will face serious competition from a number of Premier League suitors. They claim that Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur are keeping tabs on the left winger's availability, with previous reports linking Manchester United with a possible move.

Karlsson, who was named the Allsvenskan forward of the year in 2020, has scored 33 goals in 90 games for AZ and starred as the Dutch outfit finished fourth in the Eredivisie as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa Conference League. The Falkenburg-born wide man has three years to run on his current deal and the Dutch reports claim that AZ are looking for offers of around £17m for a player they signed for £2.25m three years ago.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/fulham-keen-on-karlsson/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Whites plotting move for Wimmer
Marco Silva wants to strengthen this summer.

Fulham are now plotting a move for Wolfsburg star Patrick Wimmer off the back of his "hugely impressive" season in the Bundesliga, according to reports.

Who could Fulham sign this summer?
Marco Silva, after guiding the Whites through an impressive first campaign back in the Premier League, will be looking to strengthen in key areas and ensure his side's solid position.

It was arguably a season to remember for Fulham, who even finished above west London rivals Chelsea in the table and secured safety very, very comfortably and with many games to spare.

They were even contending for a place in Europe over a significant period of 2022/2023, but were ultimately beaten to the punch by Liverpool, Brighton and Aston Villa.

Fulham must build upon last season's efforts and reports suggest they intend to do exactly that, with FC Porto midfielder Mateus Uribe and Chelsea's Ruben Loftus-Cheek linked in the last few months.

This comes as star midfielder Joao Palhinha attracts interest from a host of top clubs, including Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Man United.

Gil Vicente striker Fran Navarro is also a player of interest to Fulham, while Man United duo Harry Maguire and Fred have been mentioned in parts as well.

Now, according to Football Insider, there appears to be a new target in the frame as Silva's side take a real interest in Wolfsburg star Wimmer - who has been "hugely impressive" this season.

It is believed Fulham are "plotting a move" for the Austria international and have him down as a concrete target, with officials being sent to run the rule over him on multiple occasions.

Wimmer won't leave the Bundesliga side unless they receieve a "strong bid", but according to this report, they'r expecting offers to come in the weeks ahead.

Who is Kevin Wimmer?
The 22-year-old was a star player for Wolfsburg over 2022/2023, having made more key passes per 90 than any of his teammates in the German top flight (WhoScored).

Wimmer also completed more successful take-ons per 90 than any other Wolfsburg player except Omar Marmoush, highlighting his real quality in the forward areas (WhoScored).

He finished last season with more assists than any Wolfsburg player, too, racking up 12 goal contributions (four goals and eight assists) in the Bundesliga alone.

It's hardly surprising that, with numbers like these, Fulham are now taking a real interest in his potential signing for Silva.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league-fulham-transfer-news-patrick-wimmer/

WhiteJC

Joe Bryan To Leave Fulham

The Club can confirm that Joe Bryan will leave Fulham following the expiry of his contract at the end of this month.

With 117 appearances, two promotions, and one iconic brace, Joe departs having left an indelible impression on everyone associated with the football club.

Joining in the summer of 2018, Bryan made his Premier League debut just two days later, with his first goal in black and white arriving the following month in a 3-1 win over Millwall in the Carabao Cup.

An injury picked up against Everton hampered his progress, but he still ended the campaign with 30 appearances in all competitions.

2019/20 was a fantastic year for the left-back, as he formed a prolific understanding with Aleksandar Mitrović. Of the seven assists he registered that season, six of them were for Mitro, who went on to win the Golden Boot.

Of course, Bryan's most famous moment came in the final game of that season.

With Fulham and Brentford deadlocked as we approached half-time of extra-time in the Championship Play-Off Final, Josh Onomah was fouled in a seemingly harmless wide area of the pitch – some 45 yards from goal.

What happened next will forever go down in the history of our football club, with Bryan bending in a perfectly struck low effort to catch out the Bees goalkeeper and give Fulham control of the game.

"We'd worked on it," Joe told FFCtv afterwards. "It had been said in meetings that David Raya takes a high, aggressive stance, and 95 per cent of the time it pays off for him and they can have a quick counter-attack. But not against us.

"I just had in my head I was going to score. I just ran away screaming, which was quite funny because there were no fans, so you could just hear a load of grown men shouting!"

Not content with one goal, Bryan put the Final to bed in the second half of extra-time, playing a one-two with Mitrović before rolling a cool strike underneath Raya for 2-0.

The following campaign saw him tick off another career objective by scoring in the Premier League for the first time, earning us a point when he headed in an equaliser against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

2021/22 saw Bryan add another promotion to his CV, this time as a Champion. The form of Antonee Robinson meant he did not feature as often as he would have liked, but he started six of our final nine matches, crucially setting up Mitrović for the first goal in our promotion-clinching victory over Preston North End.

Joe spent last season on loan in France with OGC Nice, where he sampled European football for the first time in his career, scoring in a 1-1 draw with Partizan Belgrade in the Europa Conference League.

In addition to what Joe did for Fulham on the pitch, he also leaves the Club having made a sizeable impression off it.

An incredibly friendly individual, Joe made a big effort with every single person at the Training Ground, and established himself as a firm fan favourite with his infectious personality and dry sense of humour.

He also earned the respect of the entire football community through being refreshingly open about his struggles with mental health, in the hope that it could help others who were going through similar.

Everyone at Fulham would like to thank Joe for his efforts here over the last five years, and wish him all the very best in his next challenge – one we're sure will be a huge success.

He's welcome back at the Cottage any time.

"Five years ago I joined Fulham, and got the opportunity to live out my childhood dream," Joe said. "I look back on the five years of promotions, relegations, goals, mistakes, in the team, out the team, all these different things, all these ups and downs of a football career, with real fondness.

"It's not always easy – like I say, there were ups and downs – but that's life. Life's difficult sometimes, and great other times.

"I'm just proud and grateful for the opportunity to play for the Club. I think that's my resounding memory from here.

"I've met some of the greatest people that I know in football at the Club. It's a place where I will always feel welcome, and I will always look back on fondly."

Tony Khan, Fulham FC Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations, said: "I've known Joe since he joined the Club in 2018.

"He's a keen intellect, he works very hard battling on the pitch, and off the pitch he's a great gentleman.

"He's helped secure two promotions, and he wrote himself into Fulham's history books in 2020 by scoring both extra time goals against Brentford that secured our Play-Off Final win at Wembley.

"Joe is a fantastic professional, but mostly he's a wonderful person beloved by his teammates, and I want to wish him all the best for the future ahead. Thank you, Joe!"

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/june/09/joe-bryan-to-leave-fulham/

WhiteJC

Bryan set for Fulham exit
Fulham have tonight confirmed that their Championship play-off final goalscoring hero, left back Joe Bryan, will leave Craven Cottage at the end of the month when his contract expires.

Bryan memorably scored twice in extra-time to beat Brentford at Wembley and ensure the Whites returned to the top flight at the first time of asking in 2020. The former Bristol City left back, who turned down the advances of Aston Villa to sign for Fulham in 2018, won promotion to the Premier League twice in SW6 and played 117 first-team games in total – scoring six goals.

The 29 year-old was a regular in the Fulham side until being usurped by Antonee Robinson and struck up a superb understanding with Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic in the first of those promotion seasons. He spent the second half of this term on loan in France with Nice but struggled for game time and will now be seeking regular football elsewhere.

Bryan, who bravely spoke up about his struggles with mental health during his Fulham career, told the club's official website this evening:

"Five years ago I joined Fulham, and got the opportunity to live out my childhood dream. I look back on the five years of promotions, relegations, goals, mistakes, in the team, out the team, all these different things, all these ups and downs of a football career, with real fondness. It's not always easy – like I say, there were ups and downs – but that's life. Life's difficult sometimes, and great other times. I've met some of the greatest people that I know in football at the club. It's a place where I will always feel welcome, and I will always look back on fondly."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/06/bryan-set-for-fulham-exit/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace and Fulham Set Sights on Striker
Gyokeres in the Crosshairs: Crystal Palace and Fulham Eye Coventry's Striking Ace

Once a proverbial bystander in the great theatre of football transfers, Viktor Gyokeres, the talismanic Coventry City frontman, now finds himself under the spotlight. As the curtain falls on his standout Championship campaign, the whispering voices of Crystal Palace and Fulham echo through the backrooms, hinting at an impending move to Premier League pastures.

The Swedish Standout at Coventry
Born and bred on Swedish football grounds, Gyokeres brought his unique brand of attacking flair to the Midlands. Strutting his stuff in Sky Blue colours, he fired home an impressive 22 goals while adding a dozen assists in 50 appearances across all contests in the 2022-23 campaign. This sterling performance propelled Coventry City into the playoff finals, where a heartbreaking defeat against Luton Town sadly put a damper on their promotion hopes.

Falling just short of a Premier League place, Coventry must now brace for a battle off the pitch. With Gyokeres entering the final 12 months of his contract, the Midlands outfit faces a tough decision. Despite the precarious contractual situation, they will likely demand a hefty sum for the striker, whose performances this season turned heads and opened wallets.

The Premier League Suitors
Football Insider's Peter O'Rourke reports that Crystal Palace and Fulham are primed to submit offers for the 25-year-old Swedish striker. The allure of the English top-flight looms large over Gyokeres, with the Swede seemingly eager to try his boots on a bigger stage. The likes of Everton, Burnley, and Wolves are also reported to be appreciative of the forward's skillset, adding further intrigue to this transfer tale.

Since joining the English football scene, the former Brighton striker has managed a commendable 41 goals and 17 assists across 121 Championship games, which makes his Premier League ambitions understandable. His national service hasn't been unnoticed either, with three goals coming in his 13 caps for the Swedish senior squad.

Building on Success: Palace and Fulham's Ambitions
Crystal Palace and Fulham, having finished 10th and 11th in the 2022-23 Premier League campaign, find themselves in a position of strength. As they look to make further strides in the top-flight, both clubs are reportedly eyeing Gyokeres as a key piece of their summer transfer jigsaw.

Fulham boast the formidable Serbian marksman Aleksandar Mitrovic in their ranks, who netted 14 league goals upon their return to the Premier League. Nevertheless, adding another reliable goal scorer could give the Cottagers that extra bite upfront.

Palace, meanwhile, have the services of Odsonne Edouard, Jean-Philippe Mateta and Jordan Ayew at their disposal. However, none of these strikers managed to reach double figures in the 2022-23 campaign, indicating a potential need for an injection of firepower.

The South London club may also be preparing for life after their long-serving winger Wilfried Zaha, whose contract is nearing its end amidst swirling rumours of his departure from Selhurst Park.

As we move deeper into the summer transfer window, Gyokeres' name will likely continue to flutter around the Premier League gossip columns. Whether he will swap Coventry's Sky Blue for Crystal Palace's Glaziers or Fulham's Whites, only time will tell. One thing's for certain, the Coventry sharpshooter's story in English football is far from over.

https://eplindex.com/89530/crystal-palace-and-fulham-set-sights-on-striker.html