News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Gordon McQueen Leeds and Man Utd. etc.

Started by Lighthouse, June 15, 2023, 04:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Former Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United defender Gordon McQueen has died at the age of 70 after suffering from dementia.

After starting his career with St Mirren, McQueen was sold to Leeds and would go on to help win the English league title in 1974, the FA Cup with Manchester Utd in 1983.

He played 30 times for Scotland and was chosen for the 1978 World Cup but missed out because of injury. He later became a pundit before being treated for cancer of the larynx in 2011.

McQueen was diagnosed with dementia in 2021, with his family saying at the time that he wanted "footballers of today's generation to know there may be risks with persistent heading of the ball"
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham 442

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 15, 2023, 04:25:20 PMFormer Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United defender Gordon McQueen has died at the age of 70 after suffering from dementia.

After starting his career with St Mirren, McQueen was sold to Leeds and would go on to help win the English league title in 1974, the FA Cup with Manchester Utd in 1983.

He played 30 times for Scotland and was chosen for the 1978 World Cup but missed out because of injury. He later became a pundit before being treated for cancer of the larynx in 2011.

McQueen was diagnosed with dementia in 2021, with his family saying at the time that he wanted "footballers of today's generation to know there may be risks with persistent heading of the ball"
Read this earlier, very sad, 70 is no age. Yet another link to dementia from constantly heading a heavy ball..

Fulham Tup North

Losing two good players in just a few days...
Very sad...
RIP
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Andy S

RaySmith

Sad to hear he suffered with dementia, as a typical big, brave old school centre half, always going up for the ball in the air to defend his goal.

The heading as a cause of dementia debate has, after much publicity with FA guidelines given for young players and in training, seems to have quietly died a death, with heading as prevalent in the game as ever.

I remember Gordon well from my young days, a talented, popular, no nonsense defender, at a time when players didn't earn anything like the riches of today.

70 is no age.

RIP Big Man

Nick Bateman

Tough Scot not a dirty player but hard as nails, old school defender. Will be missed!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"