watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - The Ashes

Started by Somerset Fulham, June 16, 2023, 01:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dienikes

I think it is pretty much equal chances for both sides at this stage (end of day two on Saturday), although the weather forecast for Birmingham may make a draw the shrewdest bet.  My main concerns for England before the series began remain unchanged from the evidence of the first two days.

Firstly, Stokes nailed his colours to the mast with his statements such "we're in the entertainment business not the sporting business", and results being at the bottom of his priorities etc., and I fear he is more concerned about being seen to do things which live up to those statements rather than doing what gives the team the best chance of winning.  The declaration seems like a swashbuckling act, but there is a good reason why there have hardly ever been any first day declarations in Test match cricket.  Almost all the ex-pros in commentary disagreed with it.  You have to make enough runs to win the game at some stage, so why not get as many as possible in the first innings when it is easier to make them and you are on top, and there are still four days left?

Secondly, Bairstow's keeping to spin has never been good, and he had a bad day today. He made an excellent 78 and rescued England from a hole on day one alongside the imperious Root, but the two easy chances he missed (plus two very difficult ones) cost England a lot of runs too.  (in fairness, his catch to take Labuschagne's wicket was very good).  I think few would disagree that he is a much more authoritative batsman than Foakes, but also few would disagree that Foakes is much the better keeper, particularly against spin. I think there are a couple of options which could accommodate them both in the side, one of which is related to the third concern...

.... which is Stokes's fitness.  He has declared himself fit to bowl, but he only managed seven overs in total today.  If he can bowl (say) ten in each innings and and can take a prize wicket like Smith each time, maybe that justifies him being in the team, but can he do this for five Tests in six and a half weeks? Even if he can bowl a few overs, that is putting a great strain on the other bowlers, all of whom looked pretty shot by the end of today's play. If he can't bowl any, he seriously has to consider dropping himself for the good of the team.

What I liked most about England's batting were the periods of play where they clearly were thinking and adapting to circumstances.  Crawley and Pope quickly sized up that Cummins was setting defensive fields and they played busy cricket, but lower risk accumulation of singles rather than a lot of big shots.  That still kept the scoring rate very fast.  Test cricket is not a one dimensional game.

The best thing about this series is the unpredictability - events may prove I am wrong.  I hope it turns to be a cracking series.

ron

Remembering Al Pacino's speech about "a game of inches", a couple less inches in Broad's stride would have been useful in this game..!

Thailand Mick

Honours pretty much even after the first innings but what precious runs we may have had if we did not declare,we shall never know.two totally different ways to play and yet so even.The rains about so I would rather it washes out the rest of the day and England wake up to sunny skys tomorrow morning than struggle this afternoon in overcast damp conditions.Bat on the fourth day like we did on the first and we have a chance.

Somerset Fulham

That was absolutely stunning cricket in the last half an hour.

On-field Bazball in action.

ron

I think the weather has turned out to be Australian...!

South Coast White

The England collapse is on.

Dienikes

I don't think the mentality of the openers in that session was wrong, it was a case of inadequate technique. Duckett does not know how to leave the ball, and there are times as a Test opener (such as those conditions) when you simply have to stay compact and resolutely refuse to play at any delivery wide of off stump.  Crawley was looking to negate swing by coming down the wicket, which is a fair enough plan, but he tends to play towards mid on rather than straight in defence. The ball which dismissed him was on a good line, but it was nothing special and it did not move off the seam.

This is why "Bazball" came into being. It was McCullum quickly seeing on appointment that the current crop of players do not have Test match quality defence (Root and Stokes excepted), but are excellent stroke players, so they might as well be encouraged/instructed to try to make their runs at a rate of above 80 runs per 100 balls before they get out.

Somerset Fulham

There is a player in Crawley for sure, Duckett not so much.  But openening batsmen have been an issue since Cook retired really.

ron

Did Ricky Ponting just say in commentary; "the ground helped him in making that catch.."

Somerset Fulham

I still don't know who the hell is going to win this.

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 19, 2023, 04:02:16 PMI still don't know who the hell is going to win this.
I think only the weather can save us, I hope to be proven wrong. Think we are about 70 runs short.

alfie

I am beginning to think that dropping Foakes was a mistake.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

sunburywhite

Quote from: alfie on June 19, 2023, 05:46:14 PMI am beginning to think that dropping Foakes was a mistake.

Did Bairstow drop him?>
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

Finally poised, we need an early breakthrough in the morning, then keep a Gunn & Moore Spiked Cricket Boot firmly on the necks of the Aussies up to and including their final wicket.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Thailand Mick

I have to say win or lose we are the luckiest cricket fans to get to watch this unfold time and again. I see many fans from other countries trying to mock us and saying it will never last. Long may it continue.

alfie

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 19, 2023, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: alfie on June 19, 2023, 05:46:14 PMI am beginning to think that dropping Foakes was a mistake.

Did Bairstow drop him?>
Very odd question, I assume it's meant to be funny😂
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

I could not believe that morons at the game were chanting" your support is F##### S###" , Embarrassing enough at football, crept in at Fulham,  but at a test match being broadcast around the world! well I suppose it is Birmingham

filham

So all is now set for a final exciting day with the match in fine balance.
The turnstiles should be turning fast right now.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: epsomraver on June 20, 2023, 10:37:41 AMI could not believe that morons at the game were chanting" your support is F##### S###" , Embarrassing enough at football, crept in at Fulham,  but at a test match being broadcast around the world! well I suppose it is Birmingham

Honestly this attitude bores me to tears. It's professional sport and the ashes is as popular as it is because of the passion and atmosphere as well as the cricket. Test cricket needs an exciting spectacle and this is part of it. It's just people having a laugh on a day off from work enjoying their lives in tough economic times. Please find something else to complain about

Fulham Tup North

::scarf::
I've taken a ½ day as the cricket starts at 2:15pm....
We've taken a wicket already... 6 more needed 🏏🏏
Come on England....
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"