more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - The Ashes

Started by Somerset Fulham, June 16, 2023, 01:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somerset Fulham

Anyone watching?

After a bright start from England (that opening ball was glorious!), the Aussies have clawed their way back into as they do.

The next session is going to be vital.

HV71

Not watching but listening to TMS . As you rightly point out this afternoon's session may well prove key. Good wicket but there is a little ( uneven ) bounce which will give the Aussies heart

Dr Know

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 16, 2023, 01:11:48 PMAnyone watching?

After a bright start from England (that opening ball was glorious!), the Aussies have clawed their way back into as they do.

The next session is going to be vital.
Not me , I find cricket  boring !

filham

Longing to see a few English sixes, that is the signal that the Ausies are facing defeat.

bencher

Considering the flat pitch, England have struggled to get any serious fluency so far. A few decent starts but no one *yet* has kicked on. Stokes reminded us that if you live by the sword, you die by the sword. The Aussies will be happy as things stand.

Twig

Absolutely loving day 1 and have hardly missed a ball. The day has swung back and forth and this evening session will be critical.

Twig

That declaration was a very bold decision.

ron

Quote from: Twig on June 16, 2023, 07:02:10 PMThat declaration was a very bold decision.

You might even call it "a declaration of intent" !

The 'bazball' era has chucked convention into the bin and opened an era of focusing on winning....like the Aussies have for years. Lucky us at last !

HV71

Bold decision - definitely . Insane in test cricket on day one - probably. I love it ! There is simply nothing " vanilla" about our approach. If we carry on playing like this - I can actually cope with defeat because this attitude is what sport should be about.

Somerset Fulham

This England team is bonkers. Utterly bonkers.

I think that the Aussies have just about taken the day there, I do fear ther batting line up on this pitch but that doesn't mean that we are by any means out of this.

Mental, mental day that as Twig says, swung back and forth pretty much by the hour.

Love it!

Southcoastffc

Sunday and Monday's forecast rain will likely have a big effect on the match.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

sunburywhite

Did anyone see Roots revervse swot for 6

Madness
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Motspur

After years of being on back foot to Australia England/Stokes came out today fighting; we are batting and positively too; 400 runs in less than a day's play and declare to give a bash at Aussie openers.
I've been used to over the years of us being on the back foot to Australia in cricketing terms; good on you Stokesy for the positivity in your decisions and play.

filham

That is not a bad first day for England, The Ausies certainly know they have to perform well to win.

Woolly Mammoth

Pure Theatre and i love it, with Englands attacking intent it is good to put the Aussies on the back foot.

Fortune favours the brave, and Englands batting and the speed England accumulated the runs on the first day deserves a reward.

Nevertheless the match has lived up to expectations and England have thrown down the gauntlet.
Great viewing and entertainment in front of a full house.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Thailand Mick

The entertainment continues on the first day, just hope Stokes hasn't over cooked it with his declaration. I believe due to the weather forecast he sees this as a four day game. We must try to make sure Australia don't score as quick as we did. I personally would have liked to see us continue to bat like we were just before the declaration but I'm sure he was hoping to take an early wicket. If Australia bat for five sessions we could be facing a 200+ deficit on a pitch that could be turning to save the game. Let's hope fortune favors the brave on this occasion.

filham

A month without rain, start a Test match and it is threatened with rain. ???

alfie

Let's see if Moeen's return will pay off. Certainly did for Bairstow
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Somerset Fulham

I think I put this dead even at the moment. An early wicket tomorrow and we are into their tail and it isn't as though the chain rattlers didn't give us the opportunities to do just that today, on numerous occassions.

HV71

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 17, 2023, 08:12:45 PMI think I put this dead even at the moment. An early wicket tomorrow and we are into their tail and it isn't as though the chain rattlers didn't give us the opportunities to do just that today, on numerous occassions.

Good assessment of the situation