more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Tyler leaving Sky Sports after 30 years

Started by love4ffc, June 17, 2023, 03:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

?s=48&t=e8gBlp1N0wYe2LPsHEL6LA

I stumbled across this tweet about Martin Tyler leaving Sky Sports and I was surprised by all the negative responses.  I confess I do not know much about him but his voice as an announcer for a Premier League match was one of the first, I ever heard and for me is iconic. 

Seems a lot of football fans think he should have left a long time ago.  Especially Liverpool and Arsenal fans.  MG even has a poll on there asking if people rate Mr. Tyler as a commentator.  At the time of posting this the vote was 49.3% yes and 50.7% no. 

So, I am curious to know what other football fans think of him.  Is his leaving something that should have been a long time ago and is there any reason for a Fulham fan not to like him? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

HV71

I have always liked him - he is incredibly knowledgeable and commentates in an authorative manner. Most of the other commentators I don't rate.
The end of an era for me - the good ones have gone Motty, Moore , Coleman , Wolstenholme etc

Sammyffc

Quote from: love4ffc on June 17, 2023, 03:35:16 PM?s=48&t=e8gBlp1N0wYe2LPsHEL6LA

I stumbled across this tweet about Martin Tyler leaving Sky Sports and I was surprised by all the negative responses.  I confess I do not know much about him but his voice as an announcer for a Premier League match was one of the first, I ever heard and for me is iconic. 

Seems a lot of football fans think he should have left a long time ago.  Especially Liverpool and Arsenal fans.  MG even has a poll on there asking if people rate Mr. Tyler as a commentator.  At the time of posting this the vote was 49.3% yes and 50.7% no. 

So, I am curious to know what other football fans think of him.  Is his leaving something that should have been a long time ago and is there any reason for a Fulham fan not to like him? 

Sky Sports are trying to go a different route in using youtubers on their shows to appeal to a different audience. What they don't understand though is that most people who watch youtube do not care about soccer saturday or daytime football shows, or TV in general. It reminds me of someone in an office being out the loop and trying to look cool by picking random people they think appeal to the masses. But they end up with football youtubers who appeal to 12 year olds on social media.

I suspect the same will happen with this and other football roles on Sky in the future.

On the other hand, the coverage on CBS is absolutely incredible compared to UK broadcasters, its a different world. Imagine what happens when you give presenters etc freedom to do what they want? they actually make good content whereas in the UK every single person on tv is scared to death about saying something which could get them canned 

Lighthouse

The days when there were only the BBC and the regional ITV commentators meant that every commentator was known to the fan. I remember all the oldies from regions I only heard on the Big Match when they did highlights from regional games.

Now there are just too many and not all that recognisable. Martin Tyler was one of the last remaining commentators I recognise but then I had no idea he was on Sky. I don't mind the different voices but some are clearly not as good as others.

But the days of the recognisable knowledgeable voices are gone in football. It is really just noise that tends to annoy now. The build up to matches used to be fun. Now I look up the kick off times and don't bother to tune in if I am interested until the game starts.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamKC

I like listening to Martin Tyler. He is not retiring so will be interesting to see where he turns up next.

Buffalo76

Always liked him but the guy's 77 so he was never gonna go on forever.

Sky have announced some of their reporters have been let go. Glad Jaydee Dyer and Dickie Davis are amongst them. JD takes about half an hour 2 describe what's just happened and DD mumbles a hundred words a second.

Shame Biancaaaaaaaaaa Westwood is not part of the reporting team next season though.

Lester Burnham

Best commentator since Barry Davies. IMO

H4usuallysitting

someone like Michael Sheen would be excellent.....not only does he like his football, but he could commentate in a Shakespeare style

HV71

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 17, 2023, 09:12:20 PMsomeone like Michael Sheen would be excellent.....not only does he like his football, but he could commentate in a Shakespeare style

Or he could do his ...Clough thing .. young man

Gezza

Thank God we don't have to listen to this man's monotone rambling anymore. Very often rambling on with a diatribe that had nothing to do with what was happening on the pitch. One of the the worst commentators of recent years.

Zoppa77

Quite enjoyed listening to Martin.
Knowledgeable & generally balanced call of games.
Saudi money???

ianthailand

Quote from: Gezza on June 18, 2023, 12:24:11 AMThank God we don't have to listen to this man's monotone rambling anymore. Very often rambling on with a diatribe that had nothing to do with what was happening on the pitch. One of the the worst commentators of recent years.
You're thinking of Jonathan Pearce surely, now there is someone who describes everything but the game. He is so up himself, spewing out facts and figures to show how knowledgeable he is on Fotball.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ianthailand on June 18, 2023, 03:21:38 AM
Quote from: Gezza on June 18, 2023, 12:24:11 AMThank God we don't have to listen to this man's monotone rambling anymore. Very often rambling on with a diatribe that had nothing to do with what was happening on the pitch. One of the the worst commentators of recent years.
You're thinking of Jonathan Pearce surely, now there is someone who describes everything but the game. He is so up himself, spewing out facts and figures to show how knowledgeable he is on Fotball.

Martin Tyler is a likeable man, but he bored me to tears mumbling on about something that happened donkeys years ago whilst missing the action that was going on in the current match he was supposed to be commenting on, ridiculous.

Anyway sky sports shall continue to shoot themselves in the foot with employing individuals that cannot speak clearly and concisely when commenting on matches, some of them clearly never had an education, yet they get rid of professionals to employ amateurs who would put amateurs to shame.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

I take your point Woolly - he sometimes can go on . However compare that to Andy Hinchcliffe who drives me insane ! He clearly thinks he was the best goalkeeper m defender , midfielder , striker in the world  as he continually drones on on how someone should have - saved, tackled, intercepted, passed  and scored. He is woeful and yet seems to be rising in the hierarchy.

alfie

Quote from: HV71 on June 18, 2023, 04:35:26 PMI take your point Woolly - he sometimes can go on . However compare that to Andy Hinchcliffe who drives me insane ! He clearly thinks he was the best goalkeeper m defender , midfielder , striker in the world  as he continually drones on on how someone should have - saved, tackled, intercepted, passed  and scored. He is woeful and yet seems to be rising in the hierarchy.
Don't we as supporters do the same thing, "he should have scored, passed, saved, etc".
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't