Fulham Want £8 Million Man Ryan Babel

Started by White Noise, January 16, 2011, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Suarez paves the way for Anfield switch as Babel nears the exit door

Published 23:00 15/01/11

By Simon Mullock

(9)Recommend (15)

Luis Suarez, the £20million-rated Ajax striker, has paved the way for a move to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny ­Dalglish is meeting owner John W Henry over the weekend to finalise plans for the final fortnight of the transfer ­window.

And the scene is set for the Uruguay international to ­arrive as Ryan Babel heads out of Merseyside with clubs in England and Germany ­pursuing him.

Suarez shares the same agent as Fernando Torres and has asked him to find out if clubs are interested in ­signing him this month.

Liverpool and Tottenham lead the chase, but the ­Spanish-speaking connection at ­Anfield could prove a ­critical attraction.

Suarez is the kind of busy, ­skillful player who ­creates openings for team-mates, which Torres will welcome, as well as scoring goals ­himself.

He formed a formidable partnership at last summer's World Cup with Diego Forlan that took Uruguay through to the semi-finals.

The striker is at Ajax's winter training camp in Turkey. He has had a meeting with coach Frank de Boer and they accept the moment has arrived for the South ­American to move on if the Amsterdam club get an acceptable offer.

De Boer explained: "I've had a showdown with Luis.

"I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard. He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them."

And De Boer admitted: "I've a back-up scenario ready."

Clearly, the critical issue will revolve around how much the Anfield owners make available to Dalglish, but Babel looks certain to leave for around £8m.

Fulham and West Ham from the Premier League have declared their interest.

But sources in Germany believe the Holland star is set to move to the Bundesliga and accept a £65,000 a-week deal with Hoffenheim, who are owned by software m­illionaire Dietmar Hopp.

Schalke also want Babel, but won't be able to match Hoffenheim's personal terms.

Certainly Babel, who is facing an FA disrepute ­enquiry for posting a twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester ­United shirt, has decided he's spending too long on the Liverpool subs' bench.

But as Dalglish attempts to rebuild the flagging squad he inherited, the key ­January signing will be Suarez.

Earlier this season, Suarez – who conceded a last gasp penalty in the World Cup quarter-final that denied Ghana glory – revealed: "If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking ­football.

"I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or Saint ­Petersburg where they offer you sacks full of money.'

"I've an ­obsession to win ­trophies.

"I am a South American with the mentality to win.

"This is why I was not ashamed to put my hand up on the goal-line in the World Cup.

"They called it the hand of the devil, but I really don't care."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Luis-Suarez-paves-the-way-for-Liverpool-move-as-Ryan-Babel-nears-the-exit-door-article674105.html#ixzz1BCMfJ8T8

BalDrick

Blows hot and cold doesn't he? Would be a shoo-in for any top team if he was constantly as good as he can be at his best, but equally would be playing Championship at best if he was always as bad as his worst.

That said, I do quite like him. Oh and kudos for the Webb pic.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Bilet

No way. Don't like him as a player. Just as consistent as Kamara and a type of player that needs really good people around him to function.

The price of 8m is just...stupid? He's a type of player maybe worth around 3-4m? And I guess his wage demands would be insane as he surely thinks of himself as a very good player.

Lighthouse

Yes but he plays for Liverpool and any player who is in their squad costs at least 5 million more than he would in our squad. Liverpool ARE special. They keep telling us they are,
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fletchino

"I've an obsession with winning trophys"
I take it this rules him out of a move to liverpool

Oakeshott

Bilet

Agreed. Frankly I groan every time we are linked with the likes of Man. City or Spurs discards as they are not being discarded for no reason and to take one we are likely to pay huge wages for guys that are at best hit and miss. Sure, occasionally a guy like Bentley, SWP or Babel will score a great goal, but most of the time their contributions - when they bother to put in a shift - amount to very little. We need to model our side on the likes of Aaron Hughes and Bobby Zamora - competent if not world-beating, but 100% genuine, always trying. The players that irritate me are the likes of Colins John and Kamara - possibly more skillful but seemingly moody and "missing" too often.

From this perspective I think Sidwell will prove a good signing and would prefer to see us going for "hungry" players rather than highly paid City and Spurs discards whose commitment is questionable. If we buy someone like James Morison or Shane Long, for example, they will give 100% and, I suspect, get as least as many goals as a Bentley, SWP or Babel.

FC Silver Fox

No thank you. Too inconsistent and not a natural goalscorer. Besides that, he even manages to look dumber than Anelka and that's saying something.
  Incidently, Dalgleish was in the crowd at Wigan yesterday. Wonder who he was watching?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

BalDrick

'If we buy someone like James Morison or Shane Long, for example, they will give 100% and, I suspect, get as least as many goals as a Bentley, SWP or Babel.'

Interesting viewpoint, and one with which I'd concur most of the time but not right now. With the Birmingham derby today, we will drop another place unless it's a draw - and even then it'd be on GD that we stayed where we are. I've no idea what's going on at WHU over their management (who has?) but you'd have to say, if they do get MO'N in, they'd be likely to start picking up points. West Brom scored 3 yesterday, so clearly they're not usually as bad as they were against us. I genuinely think we're in trouble if we don't invest - and didn't Hughes say something about buying a player who's ready immediately, not learning?

Tonywa

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on January 16, 2011, 12:30:09 PM
No thank you. Too inconsistent and not a natural goalscorer. Besides that, he even manages to look dumber than Anelka and that's saying something.
  Incidently, Dalgleish was in the crowd at Wigan yesterday. Wonder who he was watching?

Well bearing in mind we play at Anfield in just over a week's time he was probably just running the rule over the team.

LRCN

fantastically talented but has fallen off really really badly at liverpool. had the potential to be one of the worlds best.

SmithyFFC

Long, quick and talented, just ruined by Rafa. Sign him up.
FTID

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Bilet said:
If we buy someone like James Morison or Shane Long, for example, they will give 100% and, I suspect, get as least as many goals as a Bentley, SWP or Babel.

I think it is hugely unfair to lump in  SWP with Bentley and Babel.    
Bentley  has the talent but has no character, and is weak of mind,  his  train to greatness has long since  left the station.
Babel is at the wrong (cattle !!) station,  he  has coasted and has not attempted to make an impact.  

As for Long , ............ A smart man who does not post on here any more,  once said : Buy players from the Championship and they will take you there.

I would hate it if Fulham went after Morison mid season, Have we not have enough Baggies already ?????

Bilet

Quote from: KCat on January 16, 2011, 12:47:44 PM
Bilet said:

I didn't. Oakeshott did. I for one agree with your viewpoint. SWP doesn't deserve to be in there with Bentley and Babel.

BalDrick

'I would hate it if Fulham went after Morison mid season, Have we not have enough Baggies already ?????'

He means Millwall's Morrison. Or am I being stupid and missing your sarcasm?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Ah!!! Jezzzzz Bilet sorry  :045:

BalDrick ...........er isn't it Steve at the Den ????

Bilet

Quote from: KCat on January 16, 2011, 01:11:01 PM
Ah!!! Jezzzzz Bilet sorry  :045:

Hoho, no problem at all :D Yeah, he probably means Steve at Millwall. Been linked a few times with him in the last month.

leonffc

Sheepskin Junior

I for one would love to have Babel at the cottage

Hopefully the door would hit Kamara on his way out
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

finnster01

MAF will never let that happen.

Fulham is still a family club.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

Quote from: Lork on January 16, 2011, 12:36:53 PM
fantastically talented but has fallen off really really badly at liverpool. had the potential to be one of the worlds best.

'The potential to one of the worlds best' - really? Genuine question Lork - what are you basing that on?

Looks like him and Clint could compare rapping styles but is Babel a winger or a striker ? -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Babel