watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sponsor?

Started by colham, June 27, 2023, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Towling

I don't gamble but I know that other people do. Gambling is all over all sport - us not having that sponsor will make no difference to that, it must be down to the FA to set standards and stick to them.

Whilst we have Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE involved in football (especially the former two) we have no right to pretend we are morally superior to any other industry.

Somerset Fulham

Of course marketing doesn't work, that is exactly why it is a multi-billiion pound industry and also why fast food giant McDonalds pumps millions into FIFA/UEFA every year and has done for decades.

General

Is frustrating, but will all be over in a few years. A shame about their apparent match fixing issues, I for one will be glad when betting sponsors no long are allowed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12856367/premier-league-clubs-agree-to-withdraw-gambling-sponsorships-on-front-of-shirts

Lighthouse

We have football clubs owned bt despotic regimes. Just played in a World Cup held in a Country that used slaves, killed hundreds in the making of the stadiums.

Yet stopping shirt sponsorship from betting makes people all soppy and happy inside. What a World.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Nero

I take it we arent looking to sign Toney after his ban then

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 28, 2023, 08:53:35 PMWe have football clubs owned bt despotic regimes. Just played in a World Cup held in a Country that used slaves, killed hundreds in the making of the stadiums.

Yet stopping shirt sponsorship from betting makes people all soppy and happy inside. What a World.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, one can be pretty disgusted by both.  It is allowed.

Barrett487

Hate this

Gambling is an addiction and we should be distancing ourselves from it.

Too much advertising on tv and radio, let alone shirt sponsorship.

vancouver

Somewhat slippery slope.

Once you agree to ban betting sponsors, same argument easily applies to alcohol, and if your wont advertise it you cant justify selling it. Adidas also runs sweatshops in Asia so lets bin them while wer'e at it.

junior white

Quote from: Barrett487 on June 28, 2023, 10:21:08 PMHate this

Gambling is an addiction and we should be distancing ourselves from it.

Too much advertising on tv and radio, let alone shirt sponsorship.
So is over eating / obesity, Alcohol, drugs etc is there a case for banning those as well? And it isnt just addictions, what about energy companies and banks they do as much harm as some addictions by putting people in poverty to some degree.

If its a moral thing then yes lets ban these as well, personally i am not against betting company sponsorship but you can make a case to ban anything based on moral and health grounds.

My point is that there is always a cause that needs looking at and it can go too far at times, clubs need income, if the income from sponsorship dies off where does the difference come from?

FFCBadger

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 28, 2023, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: Huxley on June 28, 2023, 10:59:57 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on June 28, 2023, 10:52:53 AMWorst one yet. Gambling with a wide history of alleged match fixing. Dreadful.

For those interested, there's an entire section dedicated to 'controversy' on their wiki page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBOBET

Alleged does not equal guilty. Many people and companies are alleged to have done something.

Okay, how do you feel about SBOBET sneaking spotters into our non-televised youth games so that Chinese gamblers could bet on our kids? Cause we (via Huw Jennings) complained about that to the Premier League directly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/6361174/Premier-League-fears-corruption-after-188bet-and-SBObet-offers-betting-on-teenagers.html

Whaaaaat!?
Is this even legal?

Somerset Fulham

It seems that last season our new sponsor splashed out £6m to have their name flashed across the shirts of Leeds United. Whilst I understand that it is a huge amount of money to the man on the street, its basically two Kevin Mbabu's to a premier league club.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/254513/value-of-jersey-kit-sponsorships-in-the-barclays-premier-league-by-club/

junior white

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 29, 2023, 10:33:22 AMIt seems that last season our new sponsor splashed out £6m to have their name flashed across the shirts of Leeds United. Whilst I understand that it is a huge amount of money to the man on the street, its basically two Kevin Mbabu's to a premier league club.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/254513/value-of-jersey-kit-sponsorships-in-the-barclays-premier-league-by-club/
Or put another way, Mitro rumoured to be on just over 100k per week so it is around a year of Mitro's salary

Deeping_white

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 29, 2023, 10:33:22 AMIt seems that last season our new sponsor splashed out £6m to have their name flashed across the shirts of Leeds United. Whilst I understand that it is a huge amount of money to the man on the street, its basically two Kevin Mbabu's to a premier league club.

Technically speaking it buys you a £30m player if you amortise the fee over 5 years and that £6m covers the first year from an accounting perspective

Somerset Fulham

Both of you are right too of course (I knew that I shouldn't have chosen poor Kev!), but the point still stands. Its not the huge amount of income(relatively speaking) that some may think it is.

junior white

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 29, 2023, 11:08:55 AMBoth of you are right too of course (I knew that I shouldn't have chosen poor Kev!), but the point still stands. Its not the huge amount of income(relatively speaking) that some may think it is.
I get the point, but if we didnt have it that money for Mitro would need to come from somewhere so it could mean not re signing Willian for instance so whilst nit a lot in relative terms it could be essential

Somerset Fulham

I get that too and I am not suggesting not taking it, just pointing out how small it is in comparison to total income.

All income is always going to be essential and if that £6m was say, £10m then we could have looked at a better player than Willian etc, but that is kind of talking semantics a bit.

junior white

From what I heard we got more than they paid Leeds last season, but yes all income is essential

Deeping_white

Royal Caribbean are the official family partner for this season, sponsoring the kits for the youth teams (will be the main sponsor on the front of the kit) and will also be on the back of the women's kits. Not sure if they'll feature on the first team kit anywhere.

blingo

Quote from: andrew G on June 28, 2023, 11:20:45 AMBetting is a curse that ruins lives
I think the choice of sponsor reflects values and I think this choice is very unfortunate and speaks volumes about the owner and his fine PR words.

I think we should have found a different sponsor in a different field.

And alcohol isn't a curse?

No one makes you have a bet, in the same way that no one forces anyone to drink or smoke.

What does it say about the owner? Other than he's finding the best deals possible for the club.

Business doesn't always provide things as we would like them to turn out, but if we want to grow as a club, we have to trust his judgement. He hasn't done too badly for himself to date has he?

We need the cash coming in.

andrew G

Quote from: blingo on June 29, 2023, 03:52:45 PM
Quote from: andrew G on June 28, 2023, 11:20:45 AMBetting is a curse that ruins lives
I think the choice of sponsor reflects values and I think this choice is very unfortunate and speaks volumes about the owner and his fine PR words.

I think we should have found a different sponsor in a different field.

And alcohol isn't a curse?

No one makes you have a bet, in the same way that no one forces anyone to drink or smoke.

What does it say about the owner? Other than he's finding the best deals possible for the club.

Business doesn't always provide things as we would like them to turn out, but if we want to grow as a club, we have to trust his judgement. He hasn't done too badly for himself to date has he?

We need the cash coming in.

The comparison to alcohol is not helpful.
Comparing one addiction and the damage it might do to another is not the issue here either.
'Nobody forces you to have a bet' is also not a helpful way of looking at things either. It is an addicition where a seemingly innocent flutter turns into something way more serious for enough people that lives are ruined. that is the nature of addiction. something incocent tuns into a nightmare.

gambling is an out of control epidemic at the moment and needs to be reigned in whilst the betting companies earn fortumnes on the misery of others while doing mnothing worthwhile to support and stop the addicts.

We have to be better than this and I am sure there are plenty of otyher more savoury organisations we could have as sponsor. betting sponsorship is being abolished for no  reason other than it is not decent in a sports environment, even if the act of betting remains legal.

the owner bangs on about values, he should show some.  he has done well bforhimself because he had a top class engineering idea that he properly exploited. we don't need the cash coming in, he didn't have to build the new stand if we were short of finance.

I think we, a once proper family club should show some leadership for doing the right thing. Adopt the moral high ground, and not go for a fast buck at any cost.