watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: What are you currently reading?

Started by spikey norman, July 11, 2023, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dienikes

Some excellent recommendations in this thread. In particular, I endorse the recommendations for Grahame Greene and Mick Herron.  Greene is without question my favourite 20th century author, a brilliant writer. So many authors have just one good book in them, but Greene wrote several superb novels, and it is no coincidence that The Third Man is one of my favourite films.

I am currently reading  The Mirror and The Light, the final part of Hilary Mantel's trilogy of novels about Thomas Cromwell. I enjoyed Wolf Hall, thought Bring Up The Bodies was even better, and I am finding The Mirror and the Light superb.

I am hoping to retire this year, and get more time to read, as I don't make as much time as I should at the moment. I don't seem able to muster the stamina or concentration for reading for more than short periods.

ruislip ray

Rupert

I had three books for Father's Day from my lad.

Operation Mincemeat, about the deception played by British Intelligence on Hitler to persuade him that Sicily was not the next target after North Africa.

Thomas Cromwell, about Henry VIII's chief minister, the one who closed all the monasteries
and kick started the English Reformation. He actually comes across quite well, belying his reputation, to a certain extent.

Stalin, all about Uncle Joe. He does not come across well. Uh, uh.

Finished the first yesterday, half way through the other two. I can happily reccommend all three.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Rupert on July 12, 2023, 10:47:31 PMI had three books for Father's Day from my lad.

Operation Mincemeat, about the deception played by British Intelligence on Hitler to persuade him that Sicily was not the next target after North Africa.

Thomas Cromwell, about Henry VIII's chief minister, the one who closed all the monasteries
and kick started the English Reformation. He actually comes across quite well, belying his reputation, to a certain extent.

Stalin, all about Uncle Joe. He does not come across well. Uh, uh.

Finished the first yesterday, half way through the other two. I can happily reccommend all three.

Please read all these three compelling, engaging, intriguing and arousing interesting books in full and absorb.
As i shall be asking questions on their content at a later date.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ianthailand

Quote from: HV71 on July 12, 2023, 10:58:04 AM
Quote from: ianthailand on July 12, 2023, 10:30:08 AM
Quote from: HV71 on July 11, 2023, 02:38:18 PMGive Unto Others - Donna Leon and Japanese Art - Joan Stanley - Baker
Haven't read that Donna Leon one. As good as her others, if you've read more?

To be honest Ian I have read them all ( I'm completely sold on Brunetti,Paola,Signorina Elettra etc - I even have the cookbook.)

Outstanding writing that captures the real spirit of Venice .

It does make sense to read them in order- whilst the stories are all separate  - the development of his family and his relationship with colleagues etc develop along the way

Yes agree re reading order but, i only get mine second hand so it's a matter of what's available. The family theme running through her books is good. Just done the one where the daughter cooks for the first time and they bribe the son to say it's delicious. Have a great secondhand bookshop in Bangkok so very lucky.

ianthailand

Quote from: HV71 on July 12, 2023, 11:04:27 AMIan - this is the list in order

Death at La Fenice (1992)

Death in a Strange Country (1993)

The Anonymous Venetian (1994)

A Venetian Reckoning (1995)

Acqua Alta (1996)

The Death of Faith (1997)

A Noble Radiance (1997)

Fatal Remedies (1999)

Friends in High Places (2000)

A Sea of Troubles (2001)

Wilful Behaviour (2002)

Uniform Justice (2003)

Doctored Evidence (2004)

Blood from a Stone (2005)

Through a Glass Darkly (2006)

Suffer the Little Children (2007)

The Girl of His Dreams (2008)

About Face (2009)

A Question of Belief (2010)

Drawing Conclusions (2011)

Beastly Things (2012)

The Golden Egg (2013)

By Its Cover (2104)

Falling in Love (2015)

The Waters of Eternal Youth (2016)

Earthly Remains (2017)

The Temptation of Forgiveness (2018)

Unto Us a Son is Given (2019)

Trace Elements (2020)

Transient Desires (2021)

Give Unto Others (2022
Cheers for the list. Will try to fill in my gaps when i go to Bangkok end August. We are so lucky so many great writers around nowadays.

HV71

ianthailand

Quote from: HV71 on July 13, 2023, 12:13:15 PMGood luck with your search Ian
Cheers young man. Read about 70 books a year so always looking for good authors.

Sammyffc

Bibi my story - Benjamin Netanyahu Autobiography

Fernhurst

Since obtaining my new eyes (2x cataract operations) I have resumed reading vociferously.
Starting gently with two murder mysteries by our own Richard Osman and another Rebus novel by Ian Rankin. I would suggest Richard has some way to go achieve Ranking standard.

Pile of modern and vintage programmes to go through which I am looking forward too immensely after which I will climb into more History of Britain.
Can't wait, apart from watching Fulham, reading is just my favourite thing.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

mrmicawbers

Action and adventure Wilbur Smirh takes some beating read most of his offerings and all decent reads.
Pillars of the earth and the follow up are very good.If I explained what the books were about it would sound boring but definitely not.

jarv

Killer in the Kremlin.  (Putin).  Interesting but such a dreadful human being, makes it a bit hard going.

Maidstone Lee

David Croft's autobiography - You have been watching
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Logicalman

I tend to get audio books that I can listen to whilst working.
Most recent have been

Dark Towers: Deals with the history of the Deutsche Bank over the last few decades, and includes the financial crisis and their relationship with Trump. Very detailed and deep at times in respect of the main players and the way they went sbout their business. Dark Towers

Rogue Heroes:  (not the TV series) The real history of the SAS, from it's beginnings (as how Stirling actually got it off the grond officially), through the characters and operations during WWII, and the imact it had on later SF worldwide. Rogue Heroes

Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Fascinating book regarding the startup of the SOE, with characters such as Cecil Clarke, William Fairbairn & Colin Gubbins, men not so widely known of, but layed a massive art in the way we campaigned WWII. Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

This has a companion SOE book (not audio), The Irregulars, (Roald Dahl didn't only write childrens books, he did a lot more during the war) The Irregulars
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

onecupsoon

The Anarchy - Dalrymple
And just finished re-reading The Blind Man of Seville - Robert Wilson, well worth re-reading.

spikey norman

Starting to re read There's Only One F In Fulham 30 Years (And More) Of Fulham and TOOFIF by the great David Lloyd
How I miss picking up my copy of TOOFIF on match days

hovewhite

Micheal Cain's autobiography
Blowing the bloody doors off,a superb read

blingo

Quote from: hovewhite on July 30, 2023, 10:58:16 AMMicheal Cain's autobiography
Blowing the bloody doors off,a superb read

Not a lot of people know that

ianthailand

Just started 'The Switch' Joseph Finder, after finishing 'Hear No Evil' James Grippando.