watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: What are you currently reading?

Started by spikey norman, July 11, 2023, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

Have just finished reading Graham Greene's Ministry of Fear and now reading 'And Then It Was Now' by Christopher Guard.
Some of you may know Chris who is a big Fulham fan and together with his brother Dominic were regulars at the Cottage and at away matches  since the mid !960's.
Really enjoying the book with many stories of Chris growing up, his acting career and love of Fulham (and how he ended up supporting the club).

Highly recommend the book

If interested here is link with book details

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Was-Now-Christopher-Guard-ebook/dp/B0BW4FQM7Z

CorkCity

In Cork, that question usually gets answered with "my neighbours" as reading means talking about someone behind their back !
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

andrew G

I just finished re reading both animal farm and 1984

amazing books I cannot say more or will chucked off for starting a political debate!

I Ronic

A slight aside. I find Greene a wonderful writer. Artists, musicians and writers find a style and stick to it. Greenes work is more a tapestry. Incredible.

spikey norman

Quote from: I Ronic on July 11, 2023, 11:43:53 AMA slight aside. I find Greene a wonderful writer. Artists, musicians and writers find a style and stick to it. Greenes work is more a tapestry. Incredible.

I agree
Greene is one of my favourite author and have read and re read many of his books.
Quite a few have been turned into films.
Brighton Rock is a great example

filham

Just getting to the end of Great Expectations and have both "Endings" to look forward to, Dickens was pursuaded to alter his original ending before publishing his book but his original ending has since been discovered.

Southcoastffc

In an Ashes summer, the 2nd volume of "Views from the Boundary", transcripts of test match lunchtime interviews by the much-missed Brian Johnson.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ianthailand

"A Noble Radiance' - Donna Leon

Finished

Now reading 'The Hanging Girl -Jussi Adler-Olsen

Carborundum

Chutney

Blood Of Elves - Andrejs Sapkowski.

Always enjoyed fantasy worlds and the Witcher is one of the best examples.
C O Y W

Deeping_white

The Great Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert

Lighthouse

Reading a book on the history of World Library's and a book on the first outlaws throughout the World who held up coaches and stage coaches etc.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

St Eve

You are all way above me intellectually. I am reading a book on Bordeaux wines!

RaySmith

Agree about Graham Greene, wonderful writer.

I read a lot of Himalayan  mountaineering books - I'm fascinated by this, although I'd never have a go at it myself, too bloody dangerous.
I've just read  three books in a row about the 1996 Everest disaster, all from different viewpoints, well it was very controversial.

Seven people died, including the experienced leader/company owners of the two commercial expeditions.
This has  a strong resonance to the recent Titan submersible disaster, with rich people paying a fortune to go on these expeditions to climb Everest, often with little experience, and like the Titan attempt to see the wreck of the Titanic, these operations were shambolic and badly organised,  for such extreme situations, where people's lives are at risk.

I usually have several books on the go at once, and one I am in the middle of rereading at the moment is Life and Fate by Vasilly Grossman, about Russia in WW2, covering the Siege of Stalingrad and the Holocaust.
This is a brilliant novel, similar in scope to War and Peace, written by someone who was war a reporter at the time, and witnessed events first hand.
The book was banned in Russia for many years, and only recently published in translation, but it is brilliant.

A Perfect Spy, is one I've just started by John le Carre - love his books, always seem so relevant to these times. One of his latest I read recently, Agent Running in the Field, dealt with a situation around Brexit.

Speaking of political thrillers, I would recommend a writer new to me I've just read, Mick Herron - his Slow Horses is a really compelling page turner, and again very relevant to today.

In the middle of Dolly Parton and James Patterson's thriller, Run Rose Run, this is very good on the country music scene, with a struggling up and coming singer, and is a  good read - and has feel good factor, unlike many of the thrillers I read, which are pretty dark; despite the plot which has the up and coming singer in jeopardy from heavy characters from her past, and is an enjoyable read.

Just finished The Man Who lived underground, by legendary  black American writer Richard Wright - his novel Native Son really influenced me when I was a teen, borrowing it from the library, and this one, a New York Times best seller, has just been discovered and republished, I think, and is very powerful and moving; and, again very relevant to today, despite being set in the 30's.

I have a kindle, which enables me to jump around from book to book as the mood suits me, and I like having several books on the go at once,, also the books are cheaper with 'daily deals', though I know many would never read a books on such a device.

alfie

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bobbo

Quote from: alfie on July 11, 2023, 01:35:18 PMThis message board

👍. I was going to put that 😆 well done.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

cmg

Abyss - Max Hastings' account of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.

A defining moment of my latter childhood. I wasn't scared at the time, as I knew if the worst occured I wouldn't know anything about it, but it did (probably to my detriment) instill in me a much more careless attitude to life.

I wasn't scared then, but I certainly would have been had I known the incredible levels of incompetence, ignorance and plain stupidity exhibited by all sides involved.

The attitude of Taylor, LeMay, Anderson (the US forces top brass) is astounding and makes Kubrick's General Turgidson (Dr Strangelove) look like a pacifist. Fortunately Kennedy's civilian advisers were a bit less beligerent.

Generally speaking I'm not keen on Hastings' politics, but I think he is a very fine, and eminently readable, historian and would recommend any of his treatments of WW2 and later conflicts

HV71

Give Unto Others - Donna Leon and Japanese Art - Joan Stanley - Baker

BestOfBrede

Just finished Lily's promise - how I survived Auschwitz and found the strength to live.

Just started Conclave by Robert Harris

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Reading and Reading over the novel I'm writing,
which is set in the town of Fulham, Louisiana.
The restaurant is called Craven Cottage.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES