watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Think Before You Chant, eh?

Started by Logicalman, July 14, 2023, 06:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Seems that the FA, CPS and Clubs are finally tacking the Homohobic Chanting seriously thesedays (not that the Footie Clubs have not looked to rid themselves of the fans that do it anyways), with recent prosecutions, and convictions coming to the fore.

Spuds
Chelsea
Fulham
FA
ManUtd
Mexico

So, think before you drink, before you chant, seems to be the order of the day, methinks. No doubt there will be additional chants added to the 'don't utter that' list.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

love4ffc

I saw somewhere on twitter that a Fulham fan got a three-year ban for calling players on the other team "rent boys".  Need to be careful of what you chant now a days. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Andy S

It's never been right to chant abuse but it's always gone on. I remember when people with long hair were called names and overweight people suffered abuse of sorts. Do I think people need to be penalised for chanting abuse? Well it is not acceptable in any other place of work so it shouldn't happen at a footballers place of work either. Is the sentence too harsh? I think it is. Remova from the ground ad a short ban should be sufficient

RaySmith

I remember the 'Chelsea rent boy;' chant directed by Fulham fans at Graham le Saux at Southampton away -Le Saux was then playing for them.

It was chant i would never join in with, but not sure about people being banned for such chants - banning people for singing or shouting things  doesn't change people's attitudes, just makes them less open.

That particular chant sees  to be one particularly directed at Chelsea, but since none of them are gay, openly anyway,  I doubt they are offended - but it's a typical football chant you could say, designed to wind up opposition fans;
 and obviously gay fans  could be offended, and would probably be offended by many homophobic things shouted and said at a game, but you can't police every aspect of fan behaviour and speech, and as I said, this doesn't change attitudes, maybe even makes them worse, but pushed underground, or expressed more subtly.

Thinking about it, would I imply that black fans should just accept racist chants and remarks if they go to games? especially with football's history, and many black players now, of course.

No, I don't, but there are avenues of complaint, and I suppose I think that football fans have always been subject to very draconian policing, as if they are potential law breakers, rather than paying customers, compared to other sports,;
 and  it already feels as if you are being highly monitored and subject to surveillance at a game at a game;
and the main reason for the decline in racism at football here, though some say it's on the rise again, with many black fans as well as players, is that fans generally  are now anti-racist, and there is self monitoring.

Gay fans should certainly be able to go to games, without fear of any abuse, but it's only a change in attitudes that will really change things, and there has been a lot of change since fans threw bananas at black players with impunity, though, like many things, attitudes in some ways, seem to be  reverting  back, in recent years.

But I do think for banning fans for one wrong word , maybe after a few too many, rather than a fine  say, is maybe over the top, and it's not really realistic to think that every word are chant can be monitored in such a way, and, as I said,
just drives such attitudes underground - and there are ways of expressing things that don't break the law, though everyone knows what is meant- people always find ways of say saying things deemed unacceptable, but as I said, its attitudes that need to be changed.

Lighthouse

The Thought Police are everywhere now. It isn't just what you chant but even just thinking about it could be enough for a long prison term.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

H4usuallysitting

They'll never stop the chant's from some club's.... won't mention the chant's here

Fulham Tup North

So they arrest and ban for three years a supporter for singing 'Rent Boys'... but if 20,000 Man Utd fans sing about Hillsborough or 20,000 Liverpool fans sing about Munich nothing gets done?
I fully agree if people are chanting unacceptable things they should be stopped, but funny how it only ever applies to the odd person?
I'm glad I can sit in the Stevenage Road stand where nobody ever sings  :slap:
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ffc73

So does this mean Spuds will get fined when their own fans sing "their" sectarian anthem every game?

Brighton a few years ago had a self deprecating chant when Darren Bent was playing up front for them. Made me laugh, even if it makes me guilty for the thought police.

SP

On a slight tangent, perhaps we can also stop the chants about that lot down the road now that we've finished above them in the table & taken 4 points off them?

Stevieboy

Let's just stop chanting then no one can be offended!!
Seems the way this world is going,no more sticks and stones mentality, one man's(or woman's or non binary or whatever...or....) offence is another's humour.

Blawarmy

Logicalman

Quote from: ffc73 on July 15, 2023, 11:45:38 AMSo does this mean Spuds will get fined when their own fans sing "their" sectarian anthem every game?

Brighton a few years ago had a self deprecating chant when Darren Bent was playing up front for them. Made me laugh, even if it makes me guilty for the thought police.

Very valid point. A few links to club chant stories are in the first post, amazing how widespread it really is, I wonder when they will ban the age-old chant abot the ref and his personal habits?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Dr Know

Quote from: Logicalman on July 15, 2023, 02:03:53 PM
Quote from: ffc73 on July 15, 2023, 11:45:38 AMSo does this mean Spuds will get fined when their own fans sing "their" sectarian anthem every game?

Very valid point. A few links to club chant stories are in the first post, amazing how widespread it really is, I wonder when they will ban the age-old chant abot the ref and his personal habits?
Like if he had a father ?

_Putney_

I'm surprised "Come on you whites" hasn't been wiped out already. For those going to the USA Summer Tour, careful what you sing.

Logicalman

Quote from: _Putney_ on July 15, 2023, 02:12:57 PMI'm surprised "Come on you whites" hasn't been wiped out already. For those going to the USA Summer Tour, careful what you sing.
Quote from: Dr Know on July 15, 2023, 02:06:44 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on July 15, 2023, 02:03:53 PM

Like if he had a father ?

uh-huh, that one as well!  ::wink::

ffc73

If we can no longer be "the Cottagers" or "the Whites", what are we?

Star players & manager leaving, owners selling up. Is this just another attempt by the world to eradicate little old Fulham from existence ::wink::

hovewhite

Hate this bloody PC world,next they will be banning songson the build up in grounds.

SuffolkWhite

I think we have arrived at the point in time where you can call a very good mate an endearing if not very rude name, but you can't do it in public. Chanting is ok but quite what's allowed is a risk. I remember Ashton Dejager having a song about where he came from, but is that offensive I don't know.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

It's important to remember that football stadia are mostly private property and so the owners have a right (within the law of the land) to determine what is acceptable.  My personal view is that sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me ... and they never have done. We seem to have constructed a far too precious society for my liking where respect is demanded by law and not by custom and practice.

I'll leave Thomas Sowell to sum up my thoughts "The sad and tragic fact is that the civil rights movement, despite its honorable and courageous past, has over the years degenerated into a demagogic hustle, promoting the mindless racism they once fought against."

perry geyton

I've got no time for woke crap cos most people preaching it are closet cases anyway..