watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Driving Problems

Started by Lighthouse, January 17, 2011, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blingo

Then give yourself some extra "journey time" Whatever way you look at it speeding is wrong. That's not to say I have never done it, but it is wrong.

Could you ever forgive yourself if you killed a child because you were speeding?

The Doctor

Quote from: epsomraver on January 18, 2011, 09:56:57 AM
If you see the congestion that builds up behind any learner drivers as they are obeying the limit to the letter shows what would happen if everybody did the same, I rest my case

To be fair, I stick to the limit most of the time (the times I don't is not me rushing, just accidently creeping above the limit).  Despite yesterday's rant, people speeding does wind me up - especially so when they're tailgating me and flashing/honking (are you an emergency vehicle?  No.  So sit there and shut the **** up!).  I see it as another symptom of terrible driving standards.

But the authorities have done quite a job in setting up an "us v them" policy.  My route to work is peppered with various speed control devices, some of which are intended to force you below the posted limit.  In some places this is overkill because so many people get needlessly caught speeding when the police do their 6-monthly check.  These are presumably the same people who moan when council tax goes up to cover the road "improvements".  As I said before, the only way is to stop thickos from driving.  The most obvious way would be a re-test every 5/10 years (I'd happily do that), but I appreciate the DSA infrastructure isn't geared towards that in its current form.

I do like the idea of the "education" aspect though.  A housemate of mine went to one of those speed schools a few months ago and, like Tony, she thought it a worthwhile exercise.  There was one brilliant question apparently.  "What does a grey sign on a motorway mean?".  Answer: "You're going the wrong way"

Lighthouse

The point really is we now feel that cameras are there to punish the innocent. Was i breaking the law. Yes. But if I didn't I would have caused an accident. Bus lanes suddenly emerging and then going off somewhere else. Pedestrian traffic light crossings a cars length before a junction traffic light. Alot of the problems are poor road layouts.

I am the dullest, keeping to the limit driver there is. But does my consentration get taken from the road in front if I am constantly checking I am not 3 miles above the speed limit, how many red lights are on and what roads are they supposed to be manning. Where the bus lane is or isn't. One just outside the cemetery you turn into and snap. Three points please.

I will pay fines but for a safety first driver I will be banned for six months if I am not careful for the next how ever many years. Whereas I could knock that kid down and be drunk and still not receive a worse punishment.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope