Started by jayffc, July 23, 2023, 11:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

A good win

Thoughts

3 good goals

Wilson looking very positive, great 1st goal
Goal for Vini well taken, didn't do much other than that
BDR largely anonymous but cutting inside for a well finished goal - who needs Solomon? ha

Rodak a bit shaky for me

Tete looked rusty early on and a way off fitness, hard to judge once moved to CB though. As to be expected at this stage

Diop played well enough in the circumstances and good on him for last full 90mins

Harrison Man of the Match - the guys is one of the most reliable performers rarely below a 6 rating and was everywhere as usual today.

Mbabu - actually played reasonably well - then had an absolute howler hear clearance straight to their player in the box that should have seen them draw level

Youngsters:

No one really stood out apart from the young CB Luc De Fougerolles who was very composed on the ball, Ream-esque fake outs, didn't put a foot wrong.
Stansfield clearly trying hard but lacking a bit of quality
Harris 1 nice through ball to Willian but still waiting for him to grab his chance given the promise he's shown at youth level.

Muniz - pretty meh, trying hard as ever but wouldn't be surprised to see us move on unless he goes on loan again.

Willian showing flashes of why when he wants to ramp into gear he has the quality that ranks above most on the pitch

Palhinha - ouch...hope its a matter of weeks rather than months - gutted to see him injured , get well soon, combative as ever albeit out of position today at CB.

Lukic, completely anonymous, much like last season tbh but hey, well see if he can step up this year.

Cairney was alright, didn't get up to much that I can recall

Mbuemo was probably the best player on the pitch during the first half.

All in all a good outing, lots of nice passing movement especially first half, nice to get a win over Brentford always, albeit not so good to Palhinha out for potentially a month or 2 now.

1 thing Im really not sure about is this business of Defender passing it to the GK on every goal kick, looks like a disaster waiting to happen

Mitro can do one.

Drewry66

A pretty accurate assessment all round I'd say. Great to see Harry still looking so sharp and really impressed with 17 year old De Fougerolles.

Sad but I'd sell Muniz at this point and get what we can from Brazil. Vini looked good again and found his feet last season to the point I'm getting quite happy with him as a back up. Hopefully Jimenez and him as back up to a big signing so no need for Muniz who doesn't look prem level.

Agree re Luckic. Just not sure what he does? Not dynamic in either final third. Just potters about in the middle playing it simple. Looked like he had goals and assists in him in Italy. Fingers crossed he improves as we did pay a decent fee for him.

SerbianLad

Was very busy at work since the start of the summer break so didn't post here at all (I'm still busy so I won't be able to contribute much apart from matchday chats). I'll comment re Mitro in more detail once all is completed, but let's just say that me being disappointed and angry is an understatement.

As for the game, it was about as good as we could have hoped for, in my opinion, considering the weather. Both goals could have been prevented, but not too fussed about that.

Brilliant goals from Wilson and BDR and a classy finish from Vini, who once again showed he can be very useful. Reed is a machine, I still can't quite believe how he was able to run and press for full 90(100+ if you include stoppage time) minutes in that heat. Just amazing. Unlike the op, I thought Lukic was quite tidy today, and so did most fans on twitter from what I could see. Of course he should do way more still.

All youngsters did very well, but De Fougerolles was particularily great. Looks very very promising.

Mbabu looked great at first but as the game went on, he looked as bad as he looked against Newcastle, Spurs or Arsenal last season.

And of course, the biggest talking point, Joao... He looked great for the short time he was on the field, but that injury looks worrying...

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Pretty much agree with that.
The only thing I will add is that Reed was superb and for
what it's worth, by far our MOM

Amazing to see camera shots of Mitro being so 'nonchalant.'
Sad really.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jayffc

Quote from: SerbianLad on July 23, 2023, 11:47:11 PMWas very busy at work since the start of the summer break so didn't post here at all (I'm still busy so I won't be able to contribute much apart from matchday chats). I'll comment re Mitro in more detail once all is completed, but let's just say that me being disappointed and angry is an understatement.

As for the game, it was about as good as we could have hoped for, in my opinion, considering the weather. Both goals could have been prevented, but not too fussed about that.

Brilliant goals from Wilson and BDR and a classy finish from Vini, who once again showed he can be very useful. Reed is a machine, I still can't quite believe how he was able to run and press for full 90(100+ if you include stoppage time) minutes in that heat. Just amazing. Unlike the op, I thought Lukic was quite tidy today, and so did most fans on twitter from what I could see. Of course he should do way more still.

All youngsters did very well, but De Fougerolles was particularily great. Looks very very promising.

Mbabu looked great at first but as the game went on, he looked as bad as he looked against Newcastle, Spurs or Arsenal last season.

And of course, the biggest talking point, Joao... He looked great for the short time he was on the field, but that injury looks worrying...

Welcome back!

Tbf I did say Lukic was anonymous, not good nor bad, just pretty average, as has been the case since he came, it's not that he's been particuarly poor... just that "tidy" for me is not really enough to warrant us not upgrading in his position again. Hope he finds some form and impacts games a little more or he may  fade into the background quickly

ianthailand

Quote from: SerbianLad on July 23, 2023, 11:47:11 PMWas very busy at work since the start of the summer break so didn't post here at all (I'm still busy so I won't be able to contribute much apart from matchday chats). I'll comment re Mitro in more detail once all is completed, but let's just say that me being disappointed and angry is an understatement.

A busy boy, we should see an upturn in Serbia's GDP then!

Motspur Park

Nice to see you back my friend. Always enjoy reading your posts.

SerbianLad

Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 01:04:45 AMTbf I did say Lukic was anonymous, not good nor bad, just pretty average, as has been the case since he came, it's not that he's been particuarly poor... just that "tidy" for me is not really enough to warrant us not upgrading in his position again. Hope he finds some form and impacts games a little more or he may  fade into the background quickly
I think he was asked to play like that. The way he played yesterday reminded me the way Jorginho played for Chelsea and Italy a few years back. Was quite busy in defence and in the offensive end he kept the ball rolling, even if not particularily creative. Thought he was very good when pressed. That isn't his position as well. He's not a dm, he's a box to box midfielder. Harrison is too good to drop at the moment though,and with Palhinha injured, we'll probably see him play as a dm more often than in his natural position.

Thank you and everyone else on the warm welcome back! Hopefully I'll be less busy when the season starts :)

HamsterWheel

I was surprised to see Bobby D-R put in a shift. He seems to have been playing International games all summer and I expected him to be given a rest.

Deeping_white

Thought Lukic was more involved in the first half but then with Joao getting injured he was forced to sit a bit deeper in the second half. Still think he needs Joao in the DM position to flourish in all honesty. There's a good camera angle from Wilson's goal as the ref was wearing a body cam that shows some of his movement from deep to progress down the field which is more of what I'd expect from him

WindyCity

Agree with TO, accurate account.  No one has mentioned the replacement for Robinson at LB, I think was Odutayo??  Made a very nice interception on a pass going to an open man, and also did some nice clear out work in the defensive third.  Pretty sure that was the player, thought he did well in his cameo.

jayffc

Quote from: WindyCity on July 24, 2023, 04:15:15 PMAgree with TO, accurate account.  No one has mentioned the replacement for Robinson at LB, I think was Odutayo??  Made a very nice interception on a pass going to an open man, and also did some nice clear out work in the defensive third.  Pretty sure that was the player, thought he did well in his cameo.

"the Tank" guy right?

I thought he was alright but must say my gut gives me the "slightly clumsy accident waiting to happen" vibe Hopefully I'm wrong and he develops into a useful player but reality is most of the youth on the pitch wont every make it to our first team. As I say even Harris who's majorly hyped hasn't landed a notable performance yet. Still very young though at 18

LittleErn

I agree with most  of the above - though I missed the first half hour - Lukic seems to be one of those very useful players that actually concentrates on the role he has been given and can switch roles if required. "A safe pair of hands" as they say. I have always maintained that Vinicius has more to offer and shows glimpses of being a great finisher (as yesterdays goal showed) but I felt that he became anonymous as the game went on. The game became a bit "tasty" at times with Brentford players using more muscle than a friendly required.

alfie

Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 04:28:31 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on July 24, 2023, 04:15:15 PMAgree with TO, accurate account.  No one has mentioned the replacement for Robinson at LB, I think was Odutayo??  Made a very nice interception on a pass going to an open man, and also did some nice clear out work in the defensive third.  Pretty sure that was the player, thought he did well in his cameo.

"the Tank" guy right?

I thought he was alright but must say my gut gives me the "slightly clumsy accident waiting to happen" vibe Hopefully I'm wrong and he develops into a useful player but reality is most of the youth on the pitch wont every make it to our first team. As I say even Harris who's majorly hyped hasn't landed a notable performance yet. Still very young though at 18
The words I most hate in football "accident waiting to happen"
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jayffc

Quote from: alfie on July 24, 2023, 05:39:00 PM
Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 04:28:31 PM

"the Tank" guy right?

The words I most hate in football "accident waiting to happen"

Well, some players just can be a bit little clumsy on the ball and don't command confidence in defense.

Zat Knight, Senderos, Djalo. The former 2 on their day weren't awful players but you still always had the dread of a fumble every time they were on the ball. Not the most composed players. All players make occasional mistakes but some seem predisposed to more regularly or more glaringly than others

Bobsffc

Overall, it was a very encouraging performance. For all the caveats about it being primarily a fitness exercise, I am sure that if it had been a dismal showing, and we'd gone down to a 4-0 defeat, there would have been a lot of voices in the media and on here explaining how inevitable it was that we were soundly beaten, and that we're doomed to a season of struggle.

But in fact, for all the problems with injuries and lack of signings, as well as all the noise off-stage, it was striking how spirited and motivated the players were. Lots of good individual performances, no really obvious weaknesses, three excellent goals, and - even it was enforced - it was good to see the youth and fringe players doing well.

For me the man of the match was Harrison Reed...his energy levels, especially given the heat, were incredible. Together with that, his combativity, his ball retention and his passing - especially the cross-field ball to Bobby that led to the second goal - were all top drawer.

With a fully fit midfield of Pereira, Palhina and Reed, he is the one who is by general consent the one who would have to make way if there's a new midfielder signed up. If he replicates performances like yesterday, then I think he's worth keeping in the team

WolverineFFC

Quote from: jayffc on July 23, 2023, 11:23:52 PMA good win

Thoughts

3 good goals

BDR largely anonymous but cutting inside for a well finished goal - who needs Solomon? ha

Rodak a bit shaky for me

Tete looked rusty early on and a way off fitness, hard to judge once moved to CB though. As to be expected at this stage

Diop played well enough in the circumstances and good on him for last full 90mins

Harrison Man of the Match - the guys is one of the most reliable performers rarely below a 6 rating and was everywhere as usual today.

Mbabu - actually played reasonably well - then had an absolute howler hear clearance straight to their player in the box that should have seen them draw level

Youngsters:

No one really stood out apart from the young CB Luc De Fougerolles who was very composed on the ball, Ream-esque fake outs, didn't put a foot wrong.
Harris 1 nice through ball to Willian but still waiting for him to grab his chance given the promise he's shown at youth level.

Muniz - pretty meh, trying hard as ever but wouldn't be surprised to see us move on unless he goes on loan again.

Willian showing flashes of why when he wants to ramp into gear he has the quality that ranks above most on the pitch

Palhinha - ouch...hope its a matter of weeks rather than months - gutted to see him injured , get well soon, combative as ever albeit out of position today at CB.

Lukic, completely anonymous, much like last season tbh but hey, well see if he can step up this year.

All in all a good outing, lots of nice passing movement especially first half, nice to get a win over Brentford always, albeit not so good to Palhinha out for potentially a month or 2 now.

1 thing Im really not sure about is this business of Defender passing it to the GK on every goal kick, looks like a disaster waiting to happen

Mitro can do one.

To be fair to Harris, he had a few times where he was available just at the top of the box, but nobody was putting the ball in to him. His pass to Willian was quality though. Every time I see him I am impressed with his skill and muscle for a player so young. I am very curious what his developmental plan will be this year. He has seemed to outgrow U23's level, but a loan needs to carefully crafted at his age.

Really impressed with De Fougerolles. He did not appear to be very big though which would be a concern for his future as a CB.

Considering how dried out the surface was, I thought the passing and movement were quite a bit better than expected. Lukic continues to look out of place, there just seems to be something off. I think there is more in him with his athleticism and skill level. Like Mbabu though, there are a few passes and decisions where you're asking what they are doing.

Overall it was good to get the win in my opinion. If the club had left the tour with 3 defeats it could have put more bad spin on what has been going on. Coming out like they did put a stop to any of that potential noise no matter what happens result wise in the next 2 matches. 

jayffc

Quote from: WolverineFFC on July 24, 2023, 10:47:09 PM

Thoughts

3 good goals

Rodak a bit shaky for me

Youngsters:

Mitro can do one.

To be fair to Harris, he had a few times where he was available just at the top of the box, but nobody was putting the ball in to him. His pass to Willian was quality though. Every time I see him I am impressed with his skill and muscle for a player so young. I am very curious what his developmental plan will be this year. He has seemed to outgrow U23's level, but a loan needs to carefully crafted at his age.

Really impressed with De Fougerolles. He did not appear to be very big though which would be a concern for his future as a CB.

Considering how dried out the surface was, I thought the passing and movement were quite a bit better than expected. Lukic continues to look out of place, there just seems to be something off. I think there is more in him with his athleticism and skill level. Like Mbabu though, there are a few passes and decisions where you're asking what they are doing.

Overall it was good to get the win in my opinion. If the club had left the tour with 3 defeats it could have put more bad spin on what has been going on. Coming out like they did put a stop to any of that potential noise no matter what happens result wise in the next 2 matches. 

Luca D F Is actually a Right back FWIW. He was a make shift CB just because we were short but agree he did great!

WolverineFFC

Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 11:35:27 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on July 24, 2023, 10:47:09 PM

Thoughts

3 good goals

Rodak a bit shaky for me

Youngsters:

Mitro can do one.

Luca D F Is actually a Right back FWIW. He was a make shift CB just because we were short but agree he did great!

Even better to hear since that or midfield seems like a more natural fit.

bog

When we scored on two occasions they went to that Serbian sat on the side  and he seemed to be yawning.  ::tongue::