watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Al-Hilal £259m Mbappe bid

Started by FFCBadger, July 24, 2023, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCBadger

Is this the shot in the arm the 'super league' argument needed? I think this is about get get a whole lot more bonkers...

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: FFCBadger on July 24, 2023, 11:02:01 AMIs this the shot in the arm the 'super league' argument needed? I think this is about get get a whole lot more bonkers...

If he goes there that would be incredibly sad to see for the European Game.

Bassey the warrior

Somerset Fulham

Fulham Tup North

You watch .. .they will loan him out to Newcastle for the season and keep them below the FFP rules...
 ::tongue::
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

SerbianLad

WTF I just read that it's apparently 300 million euros and that Mbappe would earn 700 million euros for a year!

ElRay

They'll pull out of the Mitrovic deal if this goes through. No way would they pay £100mil for Mitrovic & Malcom if Mbappe agrees to join. Mbappe signing would make Mitrovic insignificant news and would be worthless to them.

F(f)CUK

At some point a player should say "how much money do I really need?". I am sure that Mbappe earns enough through contracts, endorsements etc that he doesn't need this cash boost. Tom Brady would basically take minimum wage to help free up space for better talent around him. He earned his money through endorsements. I suspect that he is not poor.

A player at the top of his game should not be playing in a league that is essentially a last big pay day for those nearing retirement.

SerbianLad

Quote from: F(f)CUK on July 24, 2023, 12:19:44 PMAt some point a player should say "how much money do I really need?". I am sure that Mbappe earns enough through contracts, endorsements etc that he doesn't need this cash boost. Tom Brady would basically take minimum wage to help free up space for better talent around him. He earned his money through endorsements. I suspect that he is not poor.

A player at the top of his game should not be playing in a league that is essentially a last big pay day for those nearing retirement.
Agreed. I doubt he'll accept. I get what some people are saying, how it's a one year contract so he could earn 700 million and then move to Real Madrid for free, but I doubt a player of Mbappe's quality would entertain that offer, no matter how much money he'll be offered.

LC

No way can they afford that and Mitrovic, it puts us in a bad position as we could end up having a player who doesn't want to be here and an unmotivated Mitrovic is not a good thing

FFCBadger

Apologies, yes I've just heard £259m!
Well they've got deep pockets and everyone has a price (plus a decent contract of course).

I think this could be a re-run of the PGA vs LIV golf battle. Eventually enough national FA's will do some sort of a deal. But this would be immesurably more complicated so I might be wrong...

Neymar was £198m in 2017, also bought by a Saudi team...

bencher

Quote from: FFCBadger on July 24, 2023, 02:09:53 PMApologies, yes I've just heard £259m!
Well they've got deep pockets and everyone has a price (plus a decent contract of course).

I think this could be a re-run of the PGA vs LIV golf battle. Eventually enough national FA's will do some sort of a deal. But this would be immesurably more complicated so I might be wrong...

Neymar was £198m in 2017, also bought by a Saudi team...

Qatar rather than Saudi

Aaron

It's crap like this that really makes me miss the Championship and, at times, puts me off football altogether.

wback

I really doubt Qatar will sell to Saudi, no matter how much. A fair bit of political tension between them. Question is whether Real Madrid, Liverpool, new Utd owners etc are prepared to float a number big enough. He couldn't go to Newcastle for similar reasons, has to go somewhere else first.

BestOfBrede

Shows what they really think of Mitro if they weren't prepared to go to our 52.5m price tag!

Huxley

Quote from: SerbianLad on July 24, 2023, 12:10:58 PMWTF I just read that it's apparently 300 million euros and that Mbappe would earn 700 million euros for a year!

Just think how this kind of money could help starving people around the world and their neighbours Yemen.... Pervers that we are even talking about this kind of money to kick a ball around....

SerbianLad

Quote from: Huxley on July 24, 2023, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on July 24, 2023, 12:10:58 PMWTF I just read that it's apparently 300 million euros and that Mbappe would earn 700 million euros for a year!

Just think how this kind of money could help starving people around the world and their neighbours Yemen.... Pervers that we are even talking about this kind of money to kick a ball around....
This summer is starting to make me lose my love for the sport...

copthornemike

Quote from: SerbianLad on July 24, 2023, 03:49:55 PM

I really get where you are coming from SL.
Within a two weeks we have been faced with realistic threats to losing our manager, goal scorer and Player of the Year.
I still have a sneaking suspicion that as a club we will emerge from the current mess stronger with the same manager, same POTY andd an improved squad by the end of August.
Strangely enough maybe we needed a crisis to strengthen and falling into an atmosphere of complacency. Always a dangerous position to be in a competitive EPL!

SerbianLad

Quote from: copthornemike on July 24, 2023, 07:34:56 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on July 24, 2023, 03:49:55 PM

I really get where you are coming from SL.
Within a two weeks we have been faced with realistic threats to losing our manager, goal scorer and Player of the Year.
I still have a sneaking suspicion that as a club we will emerge from the current mess stronger with the same manager, same POTY andd an improved squad by the end of August.
Strangely enough maybe we needed a crisis to strengthen and falling into an atmosphere of complacency. Always a dangerous position to be in a competitive EPL!
And it's not even only that. Sergej Milinković-Savić, Ruben Neves, two players in their prime moved to Saudi league. World class players like Benzema and Kante who both still had a lot to offer also went there. And now this Mbappe deal... And for what? Because they got offered enormous amount of money. Apart from 1-2 stars each team has, the rest of their squads are mostly League Two players at best. It seems that they can do whatever they want regardless of the FFO. What's happened to FFP.

Then there was the talk of Super League not so long ago. Things like that are disgusting.

Football has been pretty unfair for a long time and it favoured so called big clubs. But this is far beyond that imo.

700 million euros...

MisfitKid

Looks like the "MLS Retirement League" ain't look'n so bad now, huh?   ::tongue::  ::wink::
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...