watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR-well today sucked

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, January 17, 2011, 07:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Last November I posted on here that job cuts were coming at my place of work and they hit today in spectacular fashion.Out of 350 people 71 have been laid off.I've kept my job but lost all my overtime(which was so called guaranteed) which is a third of my wages gone-so that's the Sky gone,the internet gone,the phone line gone(you'll rip my season ticket out of my cold dead hands so the will never go).

I have had to deal with pregnant women who have just lost their jobs,people getting married who now can't afford too,tearful women,angry and upset men-good people,honest people,friends who's lives have just fallen apart-AND IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM !

I'm sorry to go on but I'm in bits here,I just feel so useless

large single malt I think.............................

HatterDon

It's the story of our times, Julian. There's no good side to this for anyone. Be strong, my friend.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

This is terrible and my heart goes out to you and your colleagues. I am now retired and am out of the rat race but I just wonder what the philosphy is with our politicians and to a lesser extent Employers because surely the more people that are out of work, the less people to buy thier products, the less people to pay taxes, the longer it takes to get out of recession. I do not know what the answer is (wish I did) but you and your colleagues are suffering and the Bankers (not all of them) are getting richer.

finnster01

Sometimes shite happens Syd.

I had to close my office in London last year, which was my baby and my pride that I started from scratch. Luckily I saved the job of a few by transferring them to my New York office but it still was with a very heavy heart.

Likewise, sitting in the office and telling some people who have been with me since I started out that business there will be no job to come to is the hardest thing I ever had to do. One thing is sacking people because they deserved it, another is having no answers and feeling like a complete loser. Feck me, going to war and not knowing if you were going to live to see another day was not a problem because in my head it only affected me anyway at the time.

I really feel for the people that have lost their income(s) and may have to struggle to find another job. I know it could be me one day.

I don't know what to tell you Syd, I can only empathize with your situation. Maybe another good spanking of Stoke will help in the short term?

COYW!!!!
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

jarv

These are terrible times we live in. My wife and I, last year,  both experienced being thrown under the bus by people who don't give a damn about anyone or anything except their own. She has been unemployed for almost a year and I have been able to set up my own business which brings in peanuts. With a daughter at college still (American style fees), I am working on selling the house. It is all we have now for retirement. Unemployment/ no income/ college fees accounts for all our savings (gone), all her stock (sold).
I know how many of your colleagues feel and appreciate how you must feel.  I was looking forward to semi retirement but there you go.

dtowndough

Syd, I went through this two years ago and it does most certainly stink, but hang in there, it truly does get better.  For me, it was realizing that I don't necessarily need everything I dumped money into.  Once you learn to live with leaner times, it only makes it that much better when things pick up. 

Burt

Sorry to hear this, keep your chin up Mr Syd sir.

There's a lot of it about, unfortunately. Whilst some organisations try and handle these situations sensitively and with dignity, too many don't...

It is good that you have managed to keep your job, and that at least still have some income... Sounds cruel and trite, but it could be worse.

Enjoy your single malt...

LBNo11

...Si, I really do feel for you, I was very close to losing my job (where I have been for 39 years this coming July) recently, we are desperately trying to not lay people off and are working hard to bring more work in, and it is very tough getting new business at the moment.

Times are indeed hard.

It is easy to say that you have to try and remain positive despite your lot, and we will come out of this, in spite of everything, but in time we will turn things around, try to look for and find small positives in everything that happens rather than sink into comfortable negativity that gnaws away at your soul, and negativity breeds more of the same, this I know.

With things as they are at the moment we should try to resurrect the FoF Fulham Exchange - a form of Sits Vac / Skills offered, who knows there may be a Fulham supporter out there who may be able to help.

Good luck mate, and keep that internet going, your FoF needs you, and a bit of light relief and a form of sanity and support could help...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Blingo

I doubt if this will help anyone but Gib is a great place to live, claustrophobic at times but then you have spain two minutes away. Work here is not a problem and our GDP grew 5% last year. The biggest drawback is the price of property but if you live in Spain and work in Gib (as many do) then it is definitely manageable and gives you the best of both worlds. If you start or have a company then corporation tax is fixed at 10% and there is NO v.a.t. or c.g.t or inheritance tax here, so your kids get everything you leave them. Food for thought? Maybe or maybe not, but we have a growing economy and no recession here. Blingo lives in both Spain and Gib so if anyone wants any info let me know.

Watching the UK falling apart hurts me because it is my home country but I put my family first and have done very well over here.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Thanks everyone I feel a bit better just writing it down(after my hands stopped shaking)
I've been applying for jobs left right and center since last November(I even turn 1 down on gut feeling,which I still stand by),it's just been a car crash day all round-I'll be ok I can live without sky and the land line ect(I've got a dongle for the interweb,your not getting rid of me that easily),I've got food on the table, I can pay the rent,season tickets paid for,ok,so I'll have to pick my games,but I'm still seeing some football! I'm still having a few beers,I'm still doing ok ish,I've still got a job for now(I've always thought I should be living on the top of a mountain in Tibet meditating ,I'd still need a radio for the football though! lol)

your all good people, thank you all for putting up with my rant :59:,I really needed to vent :013: :001: :doh:

CorkCity

Try to be positive, health is wealth.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Tom

Hang in there bud! My job has cut my hours and everyone's hours at my job from 40 hrs a week, down to 34 hrs a week. Tough times out there right now, just try and weather the storm.
Fulham for life!

NogoodBoyo

I'm in the Cork City camp on this one. 
If you have eye-sight, hearing, mobility, some sort of libidinous activity, control of your bowels and freedom, life's pretty peachy really.  And I know you'll come out of this a better person, because you're already a damned good fellah as it is.

Nogood "single malteser, isit" boyo

Jimbobob

:beer: :clap_hands: :beer: :clap_hands: :beer: :clap_hands:
All I can say is hang in there and by all means try and stay positive. I was laid off for nearly ten months and the job I have now (I am very greatful for) but much less money, much more travel and frankly I have no idea if I can succeed. It is just a terrible time and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God bless!!!
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Lighthouse

Remember when one door shuts another one is slammed in your face. People were going down right,left and centre a few years ago and times were hard. Then they improved a bit and now people are down to the bare bones again.

But life is like a comedy. It is not the slipping and falling over the banana skin that's funny. It is the reaction of those that fall. So smile and remember we all end up in the same place. It is up to us to react to what happens before that.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

I have worked for a major insurance company, you all would know the name, for 25 years. The industry is in flux and all but a few companies have had massive layoffs already. We have not. A hiring & a wage  freeze have been in place for close to two years. In the next 120 days we are consolidating my department which was based at national headquarters for the last 20 years back into each state. The managers are all scrambling for a spot to land & I have the distinct feeling that some of my co-workers & quite possibly myself as well will be looking also. I'll be 64 in July so I suspect I'll be forced out but if so, I'll land on my feet. When I hear some of these stories I realize just how good I have it. Fear not, this too share pass. It might be a school bus running over your head but it'll pass. As my mate Alan, who's in the same box as I am, says, "management is going to do what it's going to do. We can't change it so don't worry about it". Common sense words, but really difficult to accept.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.