https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gera looking to leave

Started by Bilet, January 17, 2011, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilet

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6668893,00.html

Gera seeks Fulham exit

Zoltan Gera has admitted he would like to leave Fulham after becoming frustrated with his lack of opportunities under Mark Hughes.

The Hungary international has not played as regularly as he would have liked this season and is now starting to consider other options with his contract set to expire in the summer.

He admits it is flattering to have recently been linked with Greek giants Panathinaikos but is not sure whether anyone will lodge a bid for his services during the current transfer window.

"My situation is tougher than ever. I don't feel good and I play rarely," Gera is quoted as telling Hungarian daily Nemzeti Sport.

"But football is like this. One moment everything is nice and in the next moment you get a cold shower.

"The turning point was Mark Hughes' arrival. I don't want to complain, because I accept that the manager puts the team together according to his own ideas.

"I also accept that he chooses other players instead of me, but when I'm sent onto the pitch I try to do my best in order to prove that I haven't forgotten how to play football.

Chance to leave

"I want nothing more than to play but I can see I have less and less chance for this here at Fulham.

"I like the club and the city very much but I don't think it is impossible that I will leave and I'll continue my career at another club.

"If I have the chance I'll leave but at the moment I don't have these possibilities.

"My contract will expire this summer and there's an option for the extension but I'm not sure if it will be validated or not.

"The last time I talked about it with my bosses was last summer."

Different country

Gera would prefer to stay in England but admits he would be prepared to consider a new challenge in a foreign league.

"I would like to stay in England but playing in another country may be another possibility too," he explained.

"From what I experienced in Europe last year in the Europa League I believe that in a new place, in another culture of football, I could discover new ways of being successful."

Reacting to the speculation concerning Panathinaikos, Gera insisted he was not taking much notice of any transfer talk at this stage.

He said: "I've heard about the interest of Panathinaikos and it's good to hear you're linked with a famous club like this."

Tom

Sorry to hear this. I would like for Gera to stay. He is a spark plug and plays well coming off the bench. I was in the camp of extending his contract and still am.
Fulham for life!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Tom on January 17, 2011, 11:23:47 PM
Sorry to hear this. I would like for Gera to stay. He is a spark plug and plays well coming off the bench. I was in the camp of extending his contract and still am.

I'm not. Let him leave, save the wages for another player. He'll be 32 in April and isn't that good this season. I don't think he's a Sparky player. Let him leave, but don't sell him to a Premier League club.

Good riddance, Zolly, I will always look back at your goal and your performances in Europe with fond memories, you were clearly a fantastic player that season. Fulham loves you, but I reckon our mutual path comes to a closure.

:012: :Sparkyticus:

nevzter

As he's not featuring regularly, I don't blame him for wanting to find a situation where he can play.  I'll miss him - he always exhibited a blissful joy when Fulham scored a crucial goal while he was on the pitch and, likewise, thank him for his service.

COYW

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

RidgeRider

If we had been winning earlier in the season by playing to our players strengths, rather than to the way our manager wanted, Zolly would have found some time on the pitch and probably would be happy right now. I would hate to see him leave.

JBH

I love Zolly and have enjoyed watching him in the Fulham Shirt but if MH dosn't want his contract to be extended then he will move on and to be honest we do need to get the squad age down a little. As long as he puts 100% in when he is called upon for the rest of this season (which Im sure he will) then he will get the respect he deserves.

I hope a solution is found but I can't see it somehow.

TonyGilroy

Everything he says is understandable and respectful.

I'm guessing that his future depends on who we bring in and who works best with a returning Zamora.

I doubt he'll leave before the summer.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Mr Fulham on January 17, 2011, 11:34:21 PM

I'm not. Let him leave, save the wages for another player. He'll be 32 in April and isn't that good this season. I don't think he's a Sparky player. Let him leave, but don't sell him to a Premier League club.

Good riddance, Zolly, I will always look back at your goal and your performances in Europe with fond memories, you were clearly a fantastic player that season. Fulham loves you, but I reckon our mutual path comes to a closure.

Totally agree Mr Fulham, shame as he has done no wrong, but if he isn't in Hughe's plans then get some money for him and get the wages off the books. Plus as you said the average age must come down. Good luck Zolly  :54:

WHITEwitch

Agree - very sensible summing up.  Age is against him.

Burt

I for one will be sorry to see him go.

He was slow to win me over, but eventually he did, and last season in particular I thought he was one of our top players.

I can understand his disappointment at no longer being an immediate first choice, and to that extent I get why he has said what he has, and am thankful that he has expressed it respectfully rather than with bitterness.

Hopefully he'll be here for the remainder of the season, we could do with him in the squad still.

AlFayedsChequebook

I like Gera. He never should have won player of the season last year, but he was phenomenal alongside Bobby in Europe.

He is a hard worker, never stops running and chips in with some important goals as well.

I would rather see us keep him till the summer and let him leave on a free because I feel he may have an Erik Nevland style role to play in the upcoming relegation battle. He is a quality reserve, something people already do not think we have enough of, so to get rid of him now would be madness.

epsomraver

Good riddance Zolly, keeping my temper you are a fool! :red: there have been very few players who have given 100% every game and also scored such fantastic goals as Zolly, he paired with Zamora really well and it was not his fault that the partnership was broken. we will miss him if he leaves.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/gera-fancies-greek-move-to-beat-fulham-freeze?

Gera fancies Greek move to beat Fulham freeze
Zoltan Gera feels it could be time to call it a day at the Cottage

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera admits he's had his head turned by reported interest from Greek giants Panathinaikos.

The Hungary international has been disappointed at his lack of first team opportunities under Mark Hughes, and has targeted a move before his contract expires in the summer.

"My situation is tougher than ever. I don't feel good and I play rarely," Gera is quoted as telling Hungarian daily Nemzeti Sport. "But football is like this. One moment everything is nice and in the next moment you get a cold shower.

"The turning point was Mark Hughes' arrival. I don't want to complain, because I accept that the manager puts the team together according to his own ideas.

"I also accept that he chooses other players instead of me, but when I'm sent onto the pitch I try to do my best in order to prove that I haven't forgotten how to play football.

"I want nothing more than to play but I can see I have less and less chance for this here at Fulham. I like the club and the city very much but I don't think it is impossible that I will leave and I'll continue my career at another club.

"If I have the chance I'll leave but at the moment I don't have these possibilities.

ron

Yes, I also have to take issue with the expression "good riddance".

Perhaps a misinterpretation of what was meant, but after a shaky start, he became one of our inspirational players during our great run last year, and hasn't had the same chance this season.

MJG

Gutted if we let him go, look at the players who have been given extended contracts already and are in the 1st XI week in week out are they any better.
As for the good riddance quote and people agreeing with it, bloody joke considering what he did for us last year.

richie17

It's funny how perceptions of players change with success.   I just read on TiFF how people think he wimped out of tackles when he first arrived.   That wasn't my view at all - I felt he was extremely hard working for the side, defensively very strong, but his attacking game was a few degrees off (he kept getting and missing chances).  then came all the European goals...

Terrific player, but scored more in Europe last season than he has in 77 league games.   Which tells us something.

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on January 18, 2011, 01:41:23 PM
Gutted if we let him go, look at the players who have been given extended contracts already and are in the 1st XI week in week out are they any better.
As for the good riddance quote and people agreeing with it, bloody joke considering what he did for us last year.

I don't believe White witch or Fred read that bit

finnster01

I'll be the first to admit I used to be a Gera "hater". Well he turned me around. I'd be hard pushed to say he's my fav player, but he earned my respect as an honest player that did a good job alongside BZ.

There's quite a few players I'd rather see go before him, and he can hold his head high and be welcome visiting the Cottage any time he wants. But if you are not in Sparky's plans, your playing time will be limited and it is probably not what Gera wants to hear given his age. So I can understand him.

Good luck Mr Gera. :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ron on January 18, 2011, 12:11:40 PM
Yes, I also have to take issue with the expression "good riddance".

Perhaps a misinterpretation of what was meant, but after a shaky start, he became one of our inspirational players during our great run last year, and hasn't had the same chance this season.

Yes, a misinterpretation. I'm foreign, so I'm allowed to make mistakes! :hook:

epsomraver

So is Zolly but you don't cut him any slack