more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad this year vs game 1 last year

Started by jayffc, August 09, 2023, 10:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

Decent thread on Voy about this

For all the concerns from some around this, seeing Palhinha, Tosin and Mitro in full training

Our squad this year compared to game 1 last year:

Missing

Solomon (who then got injured for months)
Kebano
Duffy

But have additions in

Willian
Vinicius
Jiminez
Bassey
Lukic

Leno (was on the bench)
Wilson (was injured)

We're stronger than last year's Game 1 squad.
Could bring in CHO too before Saturday.

A couple of weeks left to improve even further but we've plenty to pick up points providing all are fit.

Add

CHO
Fred
Gray
1 or 2 fullbacks and we look really very good on paper assuming of course we retain Mitro
And of course assume we would switch out Tosin for another if he departs but he's also back training

SP

Definitely well placed but hoping for a couple more quality players in the door.

I hope this is the season Harry Wilson can stay injury free & fulfil his potential.

FFC1987

Just in case parts of the 'For all the concerns from some around this' is relating to the discussion on the silly season thread earlier, I think it was quite clear people arguing that our current squad, is slightly weaker than last seasons squad, is looking at close squad, vs current squad. I think we're stronger in options up top, and at the back, but paper thin in middle and out wide.

I'm not overly fussed, but, a lot hinges on whether Mitrovic stays and we find adequate back up to Palinha/Pereria/Reed as we could really struggle if those aren't handled appropriately. But definitely the Mitrovic situation. 

jayffc

Quote from: SP on August 09, 2023, 10:11:32 PMDefinitely well placed but hoping for a couple more quality players in the door.

I hope this is the season Harry Wilson can stay injury free & fulfil his potential.

Absolutely
Think we all agree we'd like more in the door and all reports point to that being in motion.

But that said we also can hardly point to lack of signings costing us if we fail in the early games, our squads better than the team that got off to a very good start last year. Many teams have gone backwards, some have improved on paper. Looking forward to seeing where were at come the end of the month

Craven Mad

I'll say it quietly, but I think we'll be fine this year.

Luton/Sheffield look naff, with Burnley not much better. Wolves/Forest/Everton/Palace/West Ham seem to be imploding to varying degrees and/or losing all their best players. Brentford's talisman will miss half a season. Bournemouth chucked out their manager and have added little prem experience.

Whilst I don't know how good/bad this year will go, I'm pretty confident that there are at least three teams who'll be materially worse than us.

And to those of you who say I should have greater ambitions than survival this year, I'd love a top half finish again, but if we can be financially stable and remain in the prem, that would be a huge achievement too.

jayffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2023, 10:24:35 PMJust in case parts of the 'For all the concerns from some around this' is relating to the discussion on the silly season thread earlier, I think it was quite clear people arguing that our current squad, is slightly weaker than last seasons squad, is looking at close squad, vs current squad. I think we're stronger in options up top, and at the back, but paper thin in middle and out wide.

I'm not overly fussed, but, a lot hinges on whether Mitrovic stays and we find adequate back up to Palinha/Pereria/Reed as we could really struggle if those aren't handled appropriately. But definitely the Mitrovic situation. 

Nope wasn't aimed at anyone specifically, I've only skim-read the summer thread today and wasn't even aware nor recall there being much drama or debate today. Point being made is just about what we're starting the season with compared to last year and the point about people's concerns is a general one over the summer.

jayffc

Quote from: Craven Mad on August 09, 2023, 11:01:38 PMI'll say it quietly, but I think we'll be fine this year.

Luton/Sheffield look naff, with Burnley not much better. Wolves/Forest/Everton/Palace/West Ham seem to be imploding to varying degrees and/or losing all their best players. Brentford's talisman will miss half a season. Bournemouth chucked out their manager and have added little prem experience.

Whilst I don't know how good/bad this year will go, I'm pretty confident that there are at least three teams who'll be materially worse than us.

And to those of you who say I should have greater ambitions than survival this year, I'd love a top half finish again, but if we can be financially stable and remain in the prem, that would be a huge achievement too.

Agreed
Lots of teams have gone backwards on paper so far. I expect some changes to happen there though before the end of the summer

We're currently strong with our starting 11 with work to do to increase competition for places and plenty time to do it in

FFC1987

Quote from: jayffc on August 09, 2023, 11:24:23 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on August 09, 2023, 11:01:38 PMI'll say it quietly, but I think we'll be fine this year.

Agreed
Lots of teams have gone backwards on paper so far. I expect some changes to happen there though before the end of the summer

We're currently strong with our starting 11 with work to do to increase competition for places and plenty time to do it in

Yep, agree with this. Had a few friends claim they think we'll be amongst it but find Brentford in the top 10 which is bizarre to me! Football and the game of opinions hey!

Woolly Mammoth

The Squad is currently too thin, plus if we have injuries suspensions or players off form, you never know  what is round the corner.
We could lose a key player just before the deadline who is transferred to another club.

Fail to prepare and prepare to fail

Places like Luton, Sheffield United etc will be no picnic either, they and their fans will be breathing fire.

Never mind the Man City's, Man U, Arsenal and something called Liverpool, all other clubs in the Premier will fancy their chances on the day, make no mistake, and Everton are a classic example.

So do you think we are ready to take on Everton, i imagine only Marcus Silva knows the real answer.

We can look at it and say Everton are there for the taking, and they are, but only if we are prepared for all eventuality's i feel.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Are we going to see Mitro, Willian, Tosin, Ream, Palhinha, Cairney or Periera start against Everton. Without that bunch available we will be weak.

Lighthouse

It is always perception over reality. But the reality is we are missing many of the squad through injury or lack of interest or whatever. So this squad still is perceived as weaker for the start of the season. But then many clubs would say the same thing. Many are in a worse state.

It keeps us off discussing the state of the game and the way rule changes and the powers that run our game are slowly ruining it.

Is the game in a better state than it was this time last season?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on August 10, 2023, 09:29:43 AMAre we going to see Mitro, Willian, Tosin, Ream, Palhinha, Cairney or Periera start against Everton. Without that bunch available we will be weak.

But we know that Willian can start as he did last week. And also very likely Mitro and Pereira if needed since they allegedly played 60 + 30 last week. And quite likely TC since he is allegedly back in full traning and participated in most of pre-season. I think Ream and Tosin are the least likely to be able to start given how little they have had of a pre-season, but the rest should be available if needed so no need at all to panic.

Of course we could theoretically sell our best 5 players tomorrow, but I think that imagining the absolute worst in all cases is not good for ones health. We will be fine, no need to worry.
 ::wine::  ::scarf::

copthornemike

A lot can still happen before the end of the transfer window closes.
Can see a late offer arriving in for Palhinha - Liverpool, West Ham?
Mitro - someone might try and pick him up as we might appear to have an unhappy player. Proven goal scorers are like gold dust & someone might fancy a relative bargain. Spurs? Maybe a Spanish club with a plan to keep him for a year or two then resell back for a nice profit.
Leno - surprised no one has put in a bid. Bayern apparently looking for the Chelsea keeper, Leno far, far better & now in the German squad.
However as Silva is around (hopefully) for the season we should have more than enough for a comfortable mid table position.
However next season will see quite a bit of outgoings, not least in few of this season's Saudi shenanigans & an ageing, but experienced, squad.

jayffc

Quote from: filham on August 10, 2023, 09:29:43 AMAre we going to see Mitro, Willian, Tosin, Ream, Palhinha, Cairney or Periera start against Everton. Without that bunch available we will be weak.

Willian Yes
Ream played in our friendly so likely - otherwise we have Bassey who played well so far
Per
Quote from: Sting of the North on August 10, 2023, 09:37:16 AM

But we know that Willian can start as he did last week. And also very likely Mitro and Pereira if needed since they allegedly played 60 + 30 last week. And quite likely TC since he is allegedly back in full traning and participated in most of pre-season. I think Ream and Tosin are the least likely to be able to start given how little they have had of a pre-season, but the rest should be available if needed so no need at all to panic.

Of course we could theoretically sell our best 5 players tomorrow, but I think that imagining the absolute worst in all cases is not good for ones health. We will be fine, no need to worry.
 ::wine::  ::scarf::

Pretty much this, TC had a minor hamstring pull a fortnight ago so bound to be available
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 10, 2023, 08:48:26 AMThe Squad is currently too thin, plus if we have injuries suspensions or players off form, you never know  what is round the corner.
We could lose a key player just before the deadline who is transferred to another club.

Places like Luton, Sheffield United etc will be no picnic either, they and their fans will be breathing fire.

Never mind the Man City's, Man U, Arsenal and something called Liverpool, all other clubs in the Premier will fancy their chances on the day, make no mistake, and Everton are a classic example.

So do you think we are ready to take on Everton, i imagine only Marcus Silva knows the real answer.

We can look at it and say Everton are there for the taking, and they are, but only if we are prepared for all eventuality's i feel.

The squad at full strength *as things stand* would see a bench of

Rodak
Bassey
Mbabu
Cairney
Lukic
BDR
Vinicius
Jiminez
Harris

Thats really pretty good and on paper - yes it's enough on their day to beat everton. We're light on wing cover backup so could swap Vini or Jimi for Stansfield until we bring in any of the wing options were reportedly working on.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 10, 2023, 08:48:26 AMThe Squad is currently too thin, plus if we have injuries suspensions or players off form, you never know  what is round the corner.

It's all well and good but where are we for instance going to get a player equal'ish to Palhinha or Reed, to come and sit on the bench waiting for them to get injured. Sure we can bring in loads of players but will they be of the standard we need for replacement.
I guess the argument there is at least there is someone there, just waiting to become the new scapegoat if they not good enough.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on August 10, 2023, 12:00:24 PM

It's all well and good but where are we for instance going to get a player equal'ish to Palhinha or Reed, to come and sit on the bench waiting for them to get injured. Sure we can bring in loads of players but will they be of the standard we need for replacement.
I guess the argument there is at least there is someone there, just waiting to become the new scapegoat if they not good enough.

I am not sure if we need an escaped goat, they are notorious for chewing the grass.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Milo

Team will eventually be:

Leno
Tete
Bassey
Ream
Robinson
Reed
Palhina
Andreas P
Willian
Mitro
Wilson/BDR

With the addition of Hudson-Odoi/Gray competing for that RW spot with Wilson I think it's looking pretty promising this year. I am slightly disappointed Silva didn't pull another cracking Brazilian/Portuguese winger out of the bag on the cheap that's he's worked with before.. but I suppose they don't grow on trees.

The battle this year was retaining Palhina and Mitrovic and if we get that over the line then both Silva and the Khans have done a superb job given the ridiculous market in modern football these days.

keithh

Waiting for Bassey to raise us up & away - really like this guy.