watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

smaller clubs fighting back

Started by Thailand Mick, August 11, 2023, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thailand Mick

we all know FFP is not fit for purpose and only seems to be there to protect the big clubs who used to come in and bully the smaller clubs to sell their best players. Have Brighton led the way in fighting back by holding out for enormous fees which inturn has encouraged other clubs like West Ham (Rice) and ourselves (Palhinha)even Brentford (Toney and Raya). These big clubs are going to find themselves stretched if they have to pay over a 100 million pounds for their new signings especially if they don't work out and they have to sell later for a large deficit,maybe this is a way of bridging the gap a bit.

KJS

Quote from: Thailand Mick on August 11, 2023, 01:50:58 PMwe all know FFP is not fit for purpose and only seems to be there to protect the big clubs who used to come in and bully the smaller clubs to sell their best players. Have Brighton led the way in fighting back by holding out for enormous fees which inturn has encouraged other clubs like West Ham (Rice) and ourselves (Palhinha)even Brentford (Toney and Raya). These big clubs are going to find themselves stretched if they have to pay over a 100 million pounds for their new signings especially if they don't work out and they have to sell later for a large deficit,maybe this is a way of bridging the gap a bit.

Totally agree, smaller clubs no longer need to rollover for the so called big 6

alfie

I guess it depends on whether the selling club needs the money.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ianthailand

Perhaps tribunals could be more realistic with their evaluations. We've been stitched up many times going back to Houghton to Oxford Utd. It always comes out on the side of the buying club which is generally the bigger one.

Twig

I just want to see FFP scrapped. I understand and applaud the original intentions but it has failed dismally.
Could there be a fit for purpose replacement? Yes, but it would be to the disadvantage of the big clubs around the world so don't hold your breath!

Eton White

Quote from: Twig on August 11, 2023, 06:58:41 PMI just want to see FFP scrapped. I understand and applaud the original intentions but it has failed dismally.
Could there be a fit for purpose replacement? Yes, but it would be to the disadvantage of the big clubs around the world so don't hold your breath!

Would it though?

Imagine how much money the clubs owned by the Qataris and Saudi Public Investment Fund could spend if it wasn't linked to the club's actual income! Their pockets are bottomless.

toshes mate

According to UEFA financial fair play is about improving the financial health of European club football, and so one can hardly say it has failed as long as big clubs continue to attract large paying audiences (attending and viewing) and smaller clubs survive with their hopes intact.  Indeed UEFA takes no blame for individual club failures, suggesting that had their rules been followed a club would have survived to fight another day.

UEFA has no incentive to introduce a level playing field, consistent refereeing standards, fair and equitable transfer dealing especially for younger talent.   It is already rich and getting richer and there, perhaps, lies the problem.

Ditto all the above for the PL and EFL.   

Woolly Mammoth

It is imperative smaller clubs do not bow to pressure from the bigger clubs in any shape or form.
For the sake of football in general all the way down the football pyramid.
But especially at the top end in the Premier League.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.