Tuesday Fulham Stuff (18.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 18, 2011, 06:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/49300/Agent_coy_on_Samba_future.aspx

Agent coy on Samba future

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:18 January 2011 - 10:23

Sport.co.uk understands that the future of Christopher Samba is still in doubt with the player's representative refusing to be drawn into a discussion on the player's January situation or possible destination.

Samba is being tracked by Arsenal, Fulham, and Tottenham Hotspur however no formal approach has been made for the centre-back according to the club and the player's representatives, however the player is still eager to quit Ewood Park.

The 26-year-old Congolese centre-back has voiced his position regarding the dismissal of Sam Allardyce and has admitted that he wants to play at the highest level and is eager to move to a club challenging for the Champions League.

Arsene Wenger is looking at a number of defensive options following setbacks to Thomas Vermaelen and Sebastien Squillaci with West Ham's Matthew Upson and Samba top of his short list. Other candidates on the Frenchman's target list have encountered problems regarding a January move, with Werder Bremen's Per Mertesacker not willing to leave the Bundesliga club and Bolton Wanderer's Gary Cahill valued at a staggering £20 million.

Samba's representative was asked whether Arsenal, Fulham or Tottenham Hotspur had made contact over the centre-back.

"I have no comment to make on the Samba case at this time. Please excuse me on that. I cannot speak at about it at this time." Leon Lambert told Sport.co.uk.

White Noise

Manchester City move to hijack Arsenal's deal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

EXCLUSIVE

By Sami Mokbel Last updated at 1:50 AM on 18th January 2011

Comments (7)

Manchester City were yesterday preparing to hijack Arsenal's bid for Southampton wonderkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Sportsmail revealed last week that the Gunners were close to agreeing a £5million deal for the winger.

But big-spending City have now made their move to land the 17-year-old. Eastlands football administration officer Brian Marwood has been handed the remit of luring Oxlade-Chamberlain to City and has already made contact with Southampton.

Sources close to the player last night claimed they were expecting Marwood to speak with the teenager's advisers this week. The approach could be a fatal blow to Arsene Wenger's hopes of taking the youngster to the Emirates this month.

Take your pick: Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to complete his move later this month

Arsenal do not have the spending power to compete with City, but Southampton boss Nigel Adkins insists the club will make a decision on which offer to accept based on what is best for the player - not just the size of a bid.

With just 13 days of the January transfer window remaining, Oxlade-Chamberlain is eager to sit down with Saints chairman Nicola Cortese and Adkins to clarify his future.

The last set of discussions between Southampton and the player took place in November and there is a feeling among the Oxlade-Chamberlain camp that they are being kept in the dark over developments.

During those talks two months ago, his advisers told the club that he wanted to get to the top flight as quickly as possible. And Sportsmail understands Oxlade-Chamberlain retains hopes of completing a move to the Premier League this month.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Fulham are also monitoring the £10m-rated player.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1348058/Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlains-Arsenal-switch-hijacked-Manchester-City.html#ixzz1BNnuU1I2

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/gera-fancies-greek-move-to-beat-fulham-freeze?

Gera fancies Greek move to beat Fulham freeze
Zoltan Gera feels it could be time to call it a day at the Cottage

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera admits he's had his head turned by reported interest from Greek giants Panathinaikos.

The Hungary international has been disappointed at his lack of first team opportunities under Mark Hughes, and has targeted a move before his contract expires in the summer.

"My situation is tougher than ever. I don't feel good and I play rarely," Gera is quoted as telling Hungarian daily Nemzeti Sport. "But football is like this. One moment everything is nice and in the next moment you get a cold shower.

"The turning point was Mark Hughes' arrival. I don't want to complain, because I accept that the manager puts the team together according to his own ideas.

"I also accept that he chooses other players instead of me, but when I'm sent onto the pitch I try to do my best in order to prove that I haven't forgotten how to play football.

"I want nothing more than to play but I can see I have less and less chance for this here at Fulham. I like the club and the city very much but I don't think it is impossible that I will leave and I'll continue my career at another club.

"If I have the chance I'll leave but at the moment I don't have these possibilities.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/zoltan-wants-to-leave/?

Zoltan wants to leave
Filed under: General — rich 
It says here.

Shame.   Gera has that lovely ability to find space in the penalty area.   His winner against Hamburg in the semi-final was a great example:  what looked like a simple tap-in came about because Gera legged it across the six yard box as the corner came over.  As the ball dropped there he was to score, but these tap-ins don't fall to everyone, and Gera deserved all the credit for being in the right place.

All this goes to underscore how important Europe was to us last season.    Gera's Fulham record:

League:  79 games, 5 goals

Europe:  18 games, 6 goals

Had we not made it into Europe he'd be just another wide man who hadn't quite met expectations.

(Bobby Zamora:  66 league games, 11 league goals;  17 European games, 8 goals)

(Chris Smalling).

So I don't know.  He's a good player and one who it's good to have around, but hasn't really had a look in this season.   Must be hard for him, going from Player of the Year to substitute, but that's football I guess.

Mark Hughes has to tweak the squad a bit, make it younger and perhaps more physical.   He has a core of players:  Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy, Dempsey, Duff, Dembele and Zamora who will remain untouchable if in form, and a few more like Davies, Baird, Paintsil, Etuhu and perhaps Salcido, Sidwell and Johnson who are good to have around, but ideally you'd want some younger, more vibrant talent to supplement the core.      It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with in the next two weeks.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/4571/7/fulham-and-newcastle-loan-fight-ex-liverpool-star?

Fulham and Newcastle in loan fight for ex-Liverpool star

Newcastle and Fulham have been alerted to the availability of Juventus midfielder Momo Sissoko.

The former Liverpool player has told the Turin club that he wants to leave in January in a bid to play more first-team football.

Napoli want to take the Mali international on a permanent contract while Alan Pardew and Mark Hughes are ready with six-month loan deals.

According to reports in the Italian press, Sissoko's agent is now working on a move that would suit both the Italian giants and the 25-year-old FA Cup winner.

WhiteJC

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/fit-honed-and-still-hungry--schwarzer-plans-to-spring-into-fifth-decade-20110118-19vfb.html?

Fit, honed and still hungry? Schwarzer plans to spring into fifth decade

It is said – mainly by those in or approaching middle age – that life begins at 40.

In sport most practitioners are long gone by that mark, their expanding belts, thinning hair and flushes of grey usually signalling the passing of time more eloquently than words or deeds. Only some lucky jockeys and motor racing drivers, diverse archers, shooters, lawn bowlers and their ilk ever get a sporting life into their fifth decade.

But Australia's evergreen goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, looks set to join that elite band if his body holds up.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The Fulham shot-stopper was asked at a press conference here earlier in the week: "Who is the best goalkeeper in the Asian Cup?"

Modesty prohibited the 198-centimetre beanpole from replying with anything other than the diplomatic: "I'll let you guys in the media decide that at the end of the tournament."

But, really, there can be little argument that Australia's No.1 keeper should have claims to that title. His track record over the past decade at international level and his longevity in the English Premiership mean that he has had no peers in the Asian game.

Should the Socceroos make the final of the Asian Cup, Schwarzer would also break Alex Tobin's record for 87 caps, having earned his 85th against Bahrain.

Having turned 38 in October, Schwarzer has no plans of winding back a decorated career.

Why would he? Having been pursued by Arsene Wenger and Arsenal after the World Cup and offered fresh long-term deals by Fulham, he is clearly still regarded as a man at the top of his game by those who make decisions in what is, by common consent, the toughest league in the world.

Which is good news for Australia and Fulham, but bad news for those looking to get their chance at the highest level for club and country.

"At this stage in your career you almost approach each game as it comes," Schwarzer said this week when asked about his Socceroos future. "I feel very, very fit, like I am enjoying my football ... As long as I am performing well and fit enough and am here on merit, which I like to think I am, and he manager wants to select me, then I'll continue to play.

"While you are playing in the Premier League you are in a good position [for international football]. There's a big balancing act. You have got to make sure it doesn't affect either of the performances, either at club level or international level. I think I have managed that pretty well up to this point."

Schwarzer's contract keeps him at Craven Cottage for another 18months as a player, and with his new fitness regimen and his commitment to extracting every last ounce out of his body, who knows how long he could go on.

"I am there for another season-and-a-half and the possibility of another season after that as long as I am fit and performing well ... I feel now that I am doing things I have never done in my career before in the sense of training," he said.

"I am definitely physically better now than I was five years ago. I work a lot harder now, in the last 12 months I have worked harder than I ever have in my whole career. I am enjoying it and loving it."

It is noticeable that Schwarzer these days looks slimmer than he has for a long time. He insists it is an optical illusion.

"I am not skinnier, I am more solid, but I have fined down ... that's always been the aim," he said. "Six months out from the World Cup I embarked on a program to make sure I was in the best possible shape I could be leading up to the World Cup and I was pretty close to that, and then I realised I actually can get in better shape, and I am in better shape."

The Asian Cup is a distraction, albeit an enjoyable one, from his day job at Fulham, who are this season struggling more than last, when, under Roy Hodgson, they enjoyed their best campaign ever, culminating in a top-10 EPL finish and a Europa League final appearance. Hodgson left for a short unhappy spell at Liverpool and former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has taken charge.

"It has been difficult," Schwarzer said. "Often it's the case when there's been a change of management ... it takes time to settle. Sometimes you can have a bit of a topsy-turvy season, and it's turned out like that. The last couple of games the indications are all there and the performances have been very, very good. We seem to have turned the tide a little bit and need to get some wins."

All talk of jumping ship and going to Arsenal is now over, Schwarzer says.

"Fulham made it absolutely clear they were not going to let me go, and even in January that was the case ... they were adamant that I was not going to leave," he said. "It [his desire to go] was never anything against Fulham, it was the opportunity to play Champions League football for a club that competes year after year for major titles. That was always what I wanted to try and fulfil.

"For a number of reasons I fully understand Fulham's position. They weren't going to let it happen. The timing was always an issue with Roy Hodgson's departure and a new manager coming in two weeks before the start of the season. That made it very difficult."

WhiteJC

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/128871-bolton-wanderers-rival-newcastle-united-and-fulham-fc-for-manchester-city-winger-shaun-wright-phillips.html?

Bolton Wanderers rival Newcastle United and Fulham FC for Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips

According to reports Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips is a target of Bolton Wanderers.

City boss Roberto Mancini announced on Friday that the England international could leave Eastlands this month.

The Daily Mail claims Wanderers boss Owen Coyle is interested but will face competition from Newcastle United and Fulham.

The two clubs are hoping to sign the 29-year-old on loan and pay his £70,000 a week wages.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4572/0/kamara-fight-fulham-spot-after-sampdoria-move-falls-through?

Kamara to fight for Fulham spot after Sampdoria move falls through

Fukham striker Diomansy Kamara is determined to fight for his place in the first-team after he failed to secure a move to Sampdoria.

Kamara has struggled to command a regular first-team place at Craven Cottage and Sampdoria were hoping to clinch his signature at the start of January.

But the Senegal forward failed to agree terms with the Italian club and they switched their attentions to signing Manchester United striker Federico Macheda.

Kamara recently netted a hat-trick for Fulham in the FA Cup third round win over Peterborough and is determined to stay in the team.

Kamara's agent Fabrizio Ferrari said: "They wanted Kamara on loan for six months, but there weren't the right conditions for the successful conclusion of the deal.

"Kamara knows all about the Italian League, but this was not right for him to leave the Premier League."

WhiteJC

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/128874-man-city-winger-shaun-wright-phillips-prefers-bolton-wanderers-to-newcastle-united-and-fulham-fc.html?

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips prefers Bolton Wanderers to Newcastle United and Fulham FC

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips has reportedly put Bolton Wanderers to the head of his list of suitors.

The People claims Wanderers boss Owen Coyle has registered his interest and hopes to agree a loan deal in the current transfer window.

It is understood Wright-Phillips has made it known that he likes the style of football Wanderers style of football under Coyle.

It seems City want his wages paid in full but could compromise because the player seems more interested in Wanderers than main rival bidders Fulham.

WhiteJC

...or not?...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6669494,00.html

Coyle cools SWP talk
Loan link dismissed as 'pure speculation' by Bolton boss

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has shrugged off reports he is lining up a loan move for Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

The England international has started just two Premier League games this season and City manager Roberto Mancini admitted last week he is likely to leave the Blues on a short-term deal this month in order to get first-team football.

Birmingham and Fulham were linked with the 29-year-old before Bolton were mooted as a possible destination.

But Wright-Phillips' wages may be beyond Bolton's budget and Coyle confirmed the Trotters have not approached their local rivals.

"We can sit here and a million names can be bandied about," he said.

"But the bottom line is that there is nothing positive or concrete to report on players. It's pure speculation."

Bolton lie seventh in the Premier League after a positive first half of the season and Coyle is yet to act in the transfer window.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4575/2/fulham-set-double-boost-zamora-and-senderos-near-comebacks?

Fulham set for double boost as Zamora and Senderos near comebacks

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora and defender Philippe Senderos are both on course to make a first-team return in February.

Zamora suffered a broken leg and ankle ligament damage against Wolves back in September and faced a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Senderos has yet to play for his new club following his summer move from Arsenal after he ruptured an Achilles tendon while he was away with the Switzerland squad back in August and was ruled out for six months.

But both players have resumed light training and Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident they will be ready to make a return to action in the next few weeks.

Hughes said: "Bobby is looking good. Philippe is out with his boots on which he has not been able to do up until this point.
"There is still a number of weeks before they will be back for selection but they are bang on track."

WhiteJC

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=17728

Reserves Beat Fulham

Town's reserves defeated Fulham 2-0 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Playford Road this afternoon.

Striker Ronan Murray and defender Troy Brown were on the scoresheet for the Blues.

The second string game against Watford which was originally down to be played last Monday has been rearranged for Thursday 24th March. The Hornets play their reserve games at Boreham Wood FC's Meadow Park in Broughinge Road, Borehamwood.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/StockdaleLivingHisDream.aspx?

Living His Dream

David Stockdale is turning into something of a lucky charm for Fulham. The Whites remain unbeaten in the seven matches the keeper has played in this season and once again Stockdale's family and friends will be heading to the Cottage en masse this weekend to get behind their man.

Amongst the 1,000 or so Fulham fans at Wigan last weekend were Stockdale's crew, and the goalkeeper clearly takes great pride in rewarding those close to him for all the support they gave him during his formative years.

"I took something like 15 or 20 tickets for the Wigan game and the support at Wigan was brilliant - I love playing near our fans because they support us so well," Stockdale told fulhamfc.com. "I'm snapping them [tickets] up and I need to buy about another 10 or 15 for the Stoke game on Saturday!

"Even when I was on loan at Plymouth my Mum and Dad flew down to watch me play. I don't blame them because they took a chunk out of their lives to travel around the country and now I'm trying to get rewards for not only the Club and the fans, but for them as well.

"For me to be playing in the Premier League, which is the best League in the world, is a proud moment for them and touch wood since I've come in to the side we haven't lost."

Stockdale's early season form had him set for an England call-up in late August before an injury sustained at Bloomfield Road cruelly robbed him of his chance 24 hours before the squad was announced.

Fulham's incumbent No.1 is certainly delivering once again but at present remains firmly focused on keeping his unbeaten record for Fulham intact and fulfilling his boyhood dream of playing in the Barclays Premier League whilst Mark Schwarzer competes in the 2011 Asian Cup.

"I want him [Mark Schwarzer] to do well so the best thing would be for him to reach the Final and I play the games [for Fulham] – then we'll see what happens. You've got to be ready for these things and I was straight back in the thick of it at the start of the month.

"Hopefully I'll catch the Spurs game in the FA Cup and it would be brilliant to get a full month under my belt - I can't ask for much more than playing for the Club, even if it is by default!

"Sometimes people get a bit worried when the first choice goalkeeper goes away or is injured but I just want to show the fans that they don't need to worry. When I first came in, they seemed happy that a young English keeper had come through and Fulham had let a young lad have a go. I think they're happy about that."

Fulham face Stoke this weekend at the Cottage before a trip to Merseyside next week and Stockdale reveals that playing at Anfield for Fulham would undoubtedly be one of his career highlights, having watched the Club's keepers whilst studying his trade as a youngster.

"Liverpool's always been one of the teams that stand out for me," Stockdale explained. "If I get to play there it will be a very proud moment for me. It would probably be one of the highlights of my career. They [Liverpool] were always a team I watched because over the years they've had some great goalkeepers."

Before next week's trip to Anfield Stockdale and company will look to complete a League double over Stoke City this weekend at the Cottage and take his impressive personal record to eight games unbeaten this season.

"They [Stoke City] play how they do and they've stayed in the Premier League. They're doing well and it works for them. You know what to expect from Stoke and if you're not good enough you won't win, but we showed we could do it at the Britannia Stadium at the end of December."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/StockdaleLivingHisDream.aspx?#ixzz1BPL23Mwn

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228733

Fulham - SWP Latest!
Mark Hughes has already expressed his desire to lure Shaun Wright-Phillips to West London and today the tabloid press are, once again, extolling the virtues of such a deal.

A fee of £4 million is being mentioned with the fact that the small fee might well be sufficient to allow Fulham to overcome the, reputed, £70,000 a week salary the player is on.

Burt before we all jump a jig of delight, we should point out that Bolton and Blackburn are also interested in securing some kind of deal for the England international.

Keep watching this space!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228733#ixzz1BPLCsxZL

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/18/zoltan-gera-fulham?

Zoltan Gera unhappy with life on fringe at Fulham and considers a move
• 'I don't feel good and I play rarely' says Gera
• 31-year-old says he would leave if he gets the chance

Zoltan Gera says he is finding life tough as a substitute at Fulham.
Photograph: Joe Giddens/Empics Sport

Zoltan Gera has expressed his frustration at life as a bit-part player with Fulham and indicated a willingness to leave Craven Cottage in search of regular first-team football. The club's player of the year last season, when he was key to the Londoners' progress to the Europa League final, has started only 10 Premier League matches under Mark Hughes this campaign and has grown exasperated at life as a substitute.

The 31-year-old has attracted interest from the Greek club Panathinaikos, with his involvement in the Fulham side further threatened by the potential arrival of Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan from Manchester City. "My situation is tougher than ever," Gera was quoted as saying in the Hungarian newspaper Nemzeti Sport.

"I don't feel good and I play rarely. But football is like this. One moment everything is nice and in the next moment you get a cold shower. The turning point was Mark Hughes's arrival. I don't want to complain, because I accept that the manager puts the team together according to his own ideas.

"I also accept that he chooses other players instead of me, but when I'm sent on to the pitch I try to do my best in order to prove that I haven't forgotten how to play football. I want nothing more than to play but I can see I have less and less chance for this here at Fulham. I like the club and the city very much but I don't think it is impossible that I will leave and I'll continue my career at another club. If I have the chance I'll leave but at the moment I don't have these possibilities."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228734

Fulham - Babel Move Dying!
Any move to try and secure the loan of Ryan Babel from Liverpool, as advertised in the media recently, could be a no-go!

Rumours are reaching us that Kenny Dalglish is keen to sign the Ajax striker, Luis Suarez and that the deal could involve Babe returning to his former cub on loan, with the player remarking about the situation,

"The transfer of Suarez to Liverpool opens the door for me to go to Ajax."

Albeit £10,000 lighter after his recent network jibe about Howard Webb and his Manchester United allegiance!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228734#ixzz1BPPQo5wF

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228736

Fulham - The Old Lady of Turin Beckons!
Is it the calm before the storm?

All`s gone quiet, on the transfer front, since we secured the services of Steve Sidwell!

There have been no movements in either direction.

One news source though, infers that a familiar Italian club, Juventus, were (in the past tense) keen on bringing Diomansy Kamara to Turin.

Having recently notched up a hat-trick I can only think the price quoted was too high or that the Italian giants watched him on one of his off-days!

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228736#ixzz1BPPinyxT

Mr Fulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 18, 2011, 05:27:26 PM
http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228736

Fulham - The Old Lady of Turin Beckons!
Is it the calm before the storm?

All`s gone quiet, on the transfer front, since we secured the services of Steve Sidwell!

There have been no movements in either direction.

One news source though, infers that a familiar Italian club, Juventus, were (in the past tense) keen on bringing Diomansy Kamara to Turin.

Having recently notched up a hat-trick I can only think the price quoted was too high or that the Italian giants watched him on one of his off-days!

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228736#ixzz1BPPinyxT

I reckon it was Sampdoria Genoa, not Juventus.

Burt

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 18, 2011, 05:09:38 PM
http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228733

Fulham - SWP Latest!

Burt before we all jump a jig of delight, we should point out that Bolton and Blackburn are also interested in securing some kind of deal for the England international.

Glad to see there's a direct appeal to me on this important issue.