Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (18.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 18, 2011, 06:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Hughes optimistic over sealing SWP cut-price deal

Published 23:00 17/01/11

By John Cross

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident of landing Shaun Wright-Phillips in a cut-price £4m deal.

Bolton and Blackburn have also shown an interest in the Manchester City winger but Fulham are hopeful of completing a deal shortly.

Wright-Phillips, 29, is set to be allowed to leave City in January after falling out of favour at Eastlands and failing to agree a new contract.

England winger Wright-Phillips is on £70,000-a-week at City but Fulham believe they can strike a deal, especially as the transfer fee is low.

City sold Wright-Phillips for £21m in 2005, bought him back for £8.5m in 2008 and so will still be in credit on the player despite swallowing a loss this time.

Hughes worked with Wright-Phillips during his managerial reign an City and is confident his pace can help Fulham stay up in the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Fulham-optimistic-of-landing-Shaun-Wright-Phillips-in-a-cut-price-deal-from-Manchester-City-article675747.html#ixzz1BMq2kJtk

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6668893,00.html

Gera seeks Fulham exit

Hungarian linked with Panathinaikos

By Juha Pal  

Last updated: 17th January 2011    

Gera: Considering options

Zoltan Gera has admitted he would like to leave Fulham after becoming frustrated with his lack of opportunities under Mark Hughes.

The Hungary international has not played as regularly as he would have liked this season and is now starting to consider other options with his contract set to expire in the summer.

He admits it is flattering to have recently been linked with Greek giants Panathinaikos but is not sure whether anyone will lodge a bid for his services during the current transfer window.

"My situation is tougher than ever. I don't feel good and I play rarely," Gera is quoted as telling Hungarian daily Nemzeti Sport.

"But football is like this. One moment everything is nice and in the next moment you get a cold shower.

"The turning point was Mark Hughes' arrival. I don't want to complain, because I accept that the manager puts the team together according to his own ideas.

"I also accept that he chooses other players instead of me, but when I'm sent onto the pitch I try to do my best in order to prove that I haven't forgotten how to play football.

Chance to leave
"I want nothing more than to play but I can see I have less and less chance for this here at Fulham.

"I like the club and the city very much but I don't think it is impossible that I will leave and I'll continue my career at another club.

"If I have the chance I'll leave but at the moment I don't have these possibilities.

"My contract will expire this summer and there's an option for the extension but I'm not sure if it will be validated or not.

"The last time I talked about it with my bosses was last summer."

Different country
Gera would prefer to stay in England but admits he would be prepared to consider a new challenge in a foreign league.

"I would like to stay in England but playing in another country may be another possibility too," he explained.

"From what I experienced in Europe last year in the Europa League I believe that in a new place, in another culture of football, I could discover new ways of being successful."

Reacting to the speculation concerning Panathinaikos, Gera insisted he was not taking much notice of any transfer talk at this stage.

He said: "I've heard about the interest of Panathinaikos and it's good to hear you're linked with a famous club like this."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6668769,00.html

Samp wanted Kamara

Serie A club were tracking Cottagers marksman

By Simone Bargellini   

Kamara: Interested Sampdoria

Diomansy Kamara's agent says Sampdoria were interested in signing the Fulham striker on loan prior to capturing Federico Macheda.

The Serie A club, who are currently 10th in the standings, wanted to bolster their strike force in January and had earmarked the Cottagers ace.

However, his agent Fabrizio Ferrari insists the terms of the loan were not right, leading the club to turn to the Manchester United youngster.

"They wanted Kamara on loan for six months, but there weren't the right conditions for the successful conclusion of the deal," he told calciomercato.com.

Kamara has made 10 Premier League appearances for Mark Hughes' team this season while Macheda has now joined Samp on loan until the summer.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6667653,00.html

Monaco call on Mbokani

Striker summoned to training base despite desire to secure switch

By Patrick Haond   

Mbokani: Looking to leave

Monaco have summoned want-away striker Dieumerci Mbokani to their winter training camp.

The Congolese frontman recently informed the club of his desire to leave, having struggled to settle at Stade Louis II.

A switch to England has been widely touted, with Everton, Fulham and West Ham believed to hold an interest in the 25-year-old.

Monaco have yet to sanction a deal, though, with their efforts having been focused on managerial changes of late.

Plans
Guy Lacombe has been replaced by Laurent Banide at the helm, offering a clean slate for those on the fringes of the fold.

That includes Mbokani, who was initially left out of the Ligue 1 club's plans for the mid-season break.

Banide is keen to keen a look at the striker, though, and has called on him to link up with the rest of the squad, regardless of his desire to secure a switch elsewhere.

He told L'Equipe: "I know he wants to leave, but for the moment he is a Monaco player and there is no reason why he would not come with us."

White Noise

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/suarez-paves-way-for-anfield-switch

Suarez paves way for Anfield switch

16th Jan 2011 - Media Watch

154 Comments 

Luis Suarez, the £20million-rated Ajax striker, has paved the way for a move to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny ­Dalglish is meeting owner John W Henry over the weekend to finalise plans for the final fortnight of the transfer ­window.

And the scene is set for the Uruguay international to ­arrive as Ryan Babel heads out of Merseyside with clubs in England and Germany ­pursuing him.

Suarez shares the same agent as Fernando Torres and has asked him to find out if clubs are interested in ­signing him this month.

Liverpool and Tottenham lead the chase, but the ­Spanish-speaking connection at ­Anfield could prove a ­critical attraction.

Suarez is the kind of busy, ­skillful player who ­creates openings for team-mates, which Torres will welcome, as well as scoring goals ­himself.

He formed a formidable partnership at last summer's World Cup with Diego Forlan that took Uruguay through to the semi-finals.

The striker is at Ajax's winter training camp in Turkey. He has had a meeting with coach Frank de Boer and they accept the moment has arrived for the South ­American to move on if the Amsterdam club get an acceptable offer.

De Boer explained: "I've had a showdown with Luis.

"I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard. He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them."

And De Boer admitted: "I've a back-up scenario ready."

Clearly, the critical issue will revolve around how much the Anfield owners make available to Dalglish, but Babel looks certain to leave for around £8m.

Fulham and West Ham from the Premier League have declared their interest.

But sources in Germany believe the Holland star is set to move to the Bundesliga and accept a £65,000 a-week deal with Hoffenheim, who are owned by software m­illionaire Dietmar Hopp.

Schalke also want Babel, but won't be able to match Hoffenheim's personal terms.

Certainly Babel, who is facing an FA disrepute ­enquiry for posting a twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester ­United shirt, has decided he's spending too long on the Liverpool subs' bench.

But as Dalglish attempts to rebuild the flagging squad he inherited, the key ­January signing will be Suarez.

Earlier this season, Suarez - who conceded a last gasp penalty in the World Cup quarter-final that denied Ghana glory - revealed: "If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking ­football.

"I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or Saint ­Petersburg where they offer you sacks full of money.'

"I've an ­obsession to win ­trophies.

"I am a South American with the mentality to win.

"This is why I was not ashamed to put my hand up on the goal-line in the World Cup.

"They called it the hand of the devil, but I really don't care."

White Noise

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/18/11/etheridge-fills-void-fulham-fc

Etheridge fills up void in Fulham FC

By Edward Lao, ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau

Posted at 01/18/2011 2:02 PM | Updated as of 01/18/2011 2:35 PM

LONDON - While Fulham Football Club's first choice goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is away on international duty, his deputies have stepped in to fill the void, one of whom is the Azkal's Neil Etheridge.

Following the heroics of the Philippines' national football team in the recent AFF Suzuki Cup, Etheridge returned to England with valuable experience and an enhanced reputation. His employers, English Premier League (EPL) side Fulham FC, highly rate the 20-year old, who currently lies third in line between the sticks at the club.

At the beginning of this month, Schwarzer flew out to Doha, Qatar, to represent Australia in the Asian Cup. In his absence, Fulham's back-up goalkeepers were both promoted to provide support. David Stockdale, 25, is currently filling the boots of Schwarzer, whilst Etheridge has been brought in from Fulham's reserve team to sit on the bench as a substitute.

With Fulham languishing in the bottom half of the EPL, and the departure of key player Schwarzer, Manager Mark Hughes grabbed the chance to reassure the club's fans ahead of their clash against West Bromwich Albion on January 4.

"Whilst he [Schwarzer] will, naturally, be a loss for us, I have no hesitation in backing David Stockdale and Neil Etheridge," said Hughes.

"David did really well when he came in at the beginning of the season and there's no reason why he can't do the same again. [In addition] We've got Neil Etheridge who's been away on international duty and picked up some really good experience, so we're comfortable with the situation and that we have adequate cover," added Hughes.

As one of the tournament favorites, Australia is expected to reach the latter stages of the Asia Cup, which means there are potentially five to six games before he returns to Fulham. So far, Fulham has played two games, neither of which Etheridge has played in, but he remains focused at the task at hand.

"I'll be doing my work here as hard as I can and it will be the manager's decision on what happens. Of course, there's a pecking order but my job is to compete with David", said Etheridge.

The Asian Cup is still in the group stages and Australia, also known as the Socceroos, is currently topping Group C on goal difference after walloping India 4-0 in their opening fixture. Australia's main threat in the group is World Cup regulars South Korea. The two top teams from each group will then go on to compete in the knock-out stages of the competition. The final of the Asian Cup is on January 29.

Etheridge, who admits he looks up to Schwarzer, has been with Fulham FC for around five years. His contract is due for renewal, and the 6-foot-3 shot-stopper signaled his eagerness to remain and progress at the club.

"I've really enjoyed my time here. The club has treated me really well and the new manager's really pushed me on more as a first-team player. So I'm really trying to push on and hopefully seal a new contract before the end of the season", said Etheridge.

The Azkals are competing in the AFC Challenge Cup in February, and although Etheridge is hopeful, he is unsure whether he will be granted permission to join the squad. The decision lies with his manager Mark Hughes.

White Noise

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/news/1040817/Schwarzer-fitter-than-ever

Schwarzer fitter than ever

8Comments and replies

18 January 2011-AAP

Focused...Socceroos keeper Mark Schwarzer says he is fitter than ever for the Asian Cup. (Getty)

Veteran Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes he is in better shape now than he has been for years.

The 38-year-old Socceroos shot-stopper is still at the top of his game after a career spanning more than 20 years and remains a vital part of Australia's campaign to lift the Asian Cup in Qatar.

"I feel now that I am doing things I have never done in my career before in the sense of training," Schwarzer said.

"I am definitely physically better now than I was five years ago.

"I work a lot harder now in the last 12 months, I have worked harder than I ever have in my whole career. I am enjoying it and loving it."

Schwarzer embarked on an intense training program six months out from the World Cup to get himself in the best possible shape for the tournament.

"I was pretty close to that and then I realised I actually can get in better shape and I am in better shape," Schwarzer said.

"I am not skinnier, I am more solid, but I have fined down ... that's always been the aim."

Like many of his senior Australian teammates, Schwarzer has no intentions of calling time on his international career after the Asian Cup.

He still has another year-and-a-half on his contract with Fulham, with an option for another season beyond that.

"At this stage there is no decision as to whether or how I am going to stop playing," Schwarzer said.

"I just want to continue to play as long as I am wanted and feel good enough to play at this level."

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/01/gatesys-roundup-that-has-moved-the-tea-alert-level-to-orange/

Gatesy's Roundup That Has Moved The Tea Alert Level To Orange

by gatesy on January 17, 2011

Do you remember what you were up to on 20th August 2009?  No? Well that was the day Andrew Johnson last scored for us. Until last Saturday.

After a scrappy first half the game came alive in the second half with disallowed goals, decent football and Johnsons equaliser making the trip worthwhile for the traveling Cottagers.

the past we've had mud slung at us in the press for poor attendances, yet Wigan were offering two tickets for £20 for our visit this year and still had swathes of empty seats. So far this season they've struggled to get above 60% of their ground filled. Similar with Brum. In their biggest crowd puller for supporters they attracted a little over 22,000 supporters – their second lowest of the season so far. Yet a bumper crowd of Whites made the trip up the West Coast Mainline to Greater Manchester.

If you're excited about news of us being linked with wingers who can't buy their way into a starting XI, have bundles of pace and can't cross a ball then you are in luck today, my friend. According to the massed ranks of the press we're one of a number of clubs after Shawn Wright-Phillips Also queuing up to pay his £90,000 a week salary while he ponces round on loan for the remainder of the season with us are Newcastle, Birmingham and Bolton.
A year ago on Wednesday a new chairman and director team walked into Upton Park saying:

"West Ham were actually in a worse state than Portsmouth when we took over. We were £110m in debt and Portsmouth were only £70m in debt...It is caused by exactly the same thing by bringing in players on wages the size of the club cannot afford...whilst we all want to put the best team out there and we hope to sign players to improve the team, we have to do it with prudence to sort the mess out."

They too can't wait to throw money in the direction of the ex-England man. Which, of course is on top the cash mountain sent to loanee Wayne Bridge weekly. Hopefully they'll get a reduction for all the time Bridge will be out injured, as Mancini sums it up nicely:

"The problem he has is he is always injured. Every game he plays he cannot finish"

Perhaps after his debut, they'll be hoping the sooner he's crocked the better... The plan was Bridge would add some stability to the sponge-like defence at the Boleyn. It didn't work. Looking thoroughly the beaten team, even before Arsenal put three past them, you don't imagine the stories plastered all over the papers of Grant being a dead man walking helped the side much.

It was quite the day for derbies in the Premier League on Sunday. David Bentley made his Birmingham debut in the one all draw against Villa. Hoping to reignite his career in the midlands he spoke of how he's never stopped trying:

"Sometimes people think I don't want to play but I love waking up in the morning, coming to work and sometimes it can get lost that I toss things off"

Hilariously for all concerned, all is not going as was planned for Liverpool. After sacking, sorry agreeing to part ways with Uncle Roy, King Kenny is continuing to balls things up. Although he got praise for a much better team against Man Yoo in the cup (we shant mention that it was actually Uncle Roy's selection and Kenny hadn't seen the team till just before kick off). The draw against Everton on Sunday keeps the Reds down in the relegation dogfight though many fans reckon their too big a side to be troubled by the drop. Not so according to the footballing demi-god Lawrie Sanchez.

"Liverpool are no longer a big club. You hear Liverpool fans going on and on about being a big club but they haven't won the Premier League and it's been going 18 years. They won the Champions League by default. It's a great achievement but when you are 3-0 down at half-time. They just had one of those days when everything went right after going wrong. They lost 17 games that season. I remember the days when they were a big club. When they would win the league and go on to win the European Cup in the same season. Those were the days when they were a big club"

I suspect Sanchez wont be making his grand return to management at Anfield anytime soon...

Sanch attempts to conceal a belch.
Nolan scored his tenth goal of the season in the norf-east derby. A late equaliser from the Black cats means although only having two shots on target in the game the Magpies have taken four points off their nearest neighbours this season. Gyan scored the late equaliser for the home side, seeing them in sixth place in the table.

Man Yoo remain unbeaten after taking a goalless draw at White Heart Lane and saw Rooney return to action. Though United had to play the last 16 minutes without Rafael who received a second yellow card and was sent off. But Redknapp Jnr still found time to praise the defender:

"He's young and you have to admire him for it"

Yes, well done for being born in 1991. But the result see's United stay top of the tree and Spuds in fifth spot. Though 'Arry doesn't reckon the unbeaten run will continue til May.

"It would be a miracle if Alex got them through the season unbeaten"

he said after the game.

Blackpool impressed despite losing at West Brom. Although playing entertaining, or as Paul Merson says, "Blackpool play extra-time football". The game finished 3-2 to the home side, but by all accounts the real winner was football. The Baggies boss seemed relieved after the game:

"It was a rollercoaster of emotions and it wasn't our best game of the season but we're pleased to get three points."

While Holloway said:

"It was two good teams having a go at each other and it could have been 6-5, unfortunately we came out on the wrong end of it.

Despite their defeat Charlie Admas continues to catch the eye, with Villa being linked with a £3.5m move for the Scotchman. Though The Sea-siders gaffer is determined to keep hold of his man, having previously said:

"I would love Charlie Adam to stay for a long time and get us in the top four, maybe Champions League places, maybe winning the Champions League. You might think I am crazy but I am not. I have watched games over the last few days and I have watched my team play"

Since the end of November Wolves have alternated between wins and defeats in the league. They won their last match, so guess what happened this week... Since swapping sides of Manchester Tevez has scored 37 goals in 52 starts for City and he managed another couple this weekend. The sides shared seven goals with new boy Dzeko chipping in an assist on his debut and helping then win the points.

Ancelotti has aid he thinks 80 points will be enough to clinch the title this season, and that lot down the road went three closer to that mark with a two nil win over Rovers. While Bolton continued their miserable run of aweay results with a two nil loss at Stoke.

Next up for our boys is Saturday afternoons visit of Stoke City. Currently we sit in 15th place and another win against the Potters and their charming fans could see us climb as high as 12th

White Noise

http://www.dexysden.co.uk/2011/01/lets-have-some-fulham-news/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UkFootballFinderMemberArticles+%28Dexy%27s+Den+-++The+UK%27s+%231+Football+Blog%29

Let's have some Fulham news

by Joe Short

Monday, January 17th, 2011

2 comments       

There's a lack to talk about Fulham these days. The euphoria of last season, with the Hodgson army battling their way to the Europa League final, has somewhat died.

Like an inflating balloon, the media rushed in during their European cup run: all full of praise for Roy's lads who rose above the odds to scalp Shakhtar, Juventus and Wolfsburg. As soon as Diego Forlan's fluke deflection found its way into the net, Fulham once again became a limp, empty sack of media coverage.

Before their draw with Wigan, Fulham's most recent news on the BBC Sport website was a match report from their Scunthorpe victory – the week before. On the Sky Sports website, the Transfer Clockwacth is higher up the list of 'other news' before a vague story about the comeback time of Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos.

In the Independent's 'i' last Friday the White's received only a squashed pre-match paragraph: on the same page as an enormous photo of Sepp Blatter. Yep – there's something about Mancini and player unrest, and on the next page is the weekly tribute to Rafael van der Vaart.

So, as the Sky cameras focussed a little too heavily on King Kenny during Anfield's rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on Sunday, I put my mind to more important matters.

Fulham need an attacking midfielder.

This may seem like another generic claim that is made on every club: oh, what we need is someone in 'the hold'. Well, on the basis of this season, this statement is certainly true of Fulham.

The problem with Fulham is that their build-up play – when not long ball – is done through the centre. Wingers Damien Duff and Simon Davies tend to cut inside rather than get chalk on their boots, and it took 80 minutes for John Pantsil to mate the first fullback overlap on Saturday.

The problem is, the wingers cut inside and... there's no one there. Danny Murphy and Dixon Etuhu will always sit with their midfield counterparts in front of them. This isn't necessarily a criticism: Murphy hasn't got the legs anymore, and Etuhu is predominantly a defensive midfielder. The only men behind the opposing midfield are the strikers, who have their own markers to deal with.

Without the application of getting behind their opposing midfield, many of Fulham's counter work or even general build up settles down to six players against two lines of solid defence: great for possession stats, but no real meat to any attack.

Fulham are becoming the poorer man's Arsenal. The need to retain the ball overcomes a gamble forward. Occasionally Clint Dempsey or Zoltan Gera may whip up a bit of flair, but often a lack of a central attacker – if Hughes is going to make his wingers cut inside – means lose balls fall too freely to the opposition.

Either, Murphy and Etuhu sort out who's marking the centre spot, or Hughes needs to get the credit card out this winter.

White Noise

Everton Fixture

Monday 17th January 2011

Fulham's Barclays Premier League game against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday 19th March 2011 will kick-off at 5.30pm and be shown live on ESPN. The game was previously scheduled to kick-off at 3pm.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/EvertonFixture.aspx#ixzz1BMumlYns

White Noise

Fulham v Stoke City tickets

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 22nd January

Kick-Off 15:00

Mark Hughes' team entertain Stoke City on Saturday 22nd January (Kick-Off 3pm) and tickets are now on General Sale. Just weeks after Chris Baird's brace secured three valuable away points at the Britannia Stadium, the Whites have an early opportunity to do the double over their Barclays Premier League rivals.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  On sale (unlimited)
Fulham Club Members On sale (unlimited)
General Sale On sale (maximum 4 tickets)
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)| 

Family Package   
Purchase your own Family Package for this fixture. A Family Package includes two adult tickets and two junior tickets and costs just £70  (normally worth £100).

To book a Family Package please call 0843 208 1234 (select option 3) and quote 'FAMILY PACK'. Additional junior tickets can be purchased for just £15 B/10 C for the fixture.

Please note these Family Packs can only be bought in certain areas of the stadium and are subject to availability. These areas are: Johnny Haynes Stand (Blocks A, AL) and the Putney (neutral area only) & Hammersmith Stands. †

Group Tickets
Fans can also watch this fixture for as little as £28 when buying group tickets. So, why not get some friends, family or colleagues together for the game and introduce a few new fans to Fulham?

A 20% discount will be offered on bookings of 10 or more tickets. These discounts apply to full view adult tickets in the Putney End only and are subject to availability.

These tickets can only be bought over the phone and you must quote 'GROUP DISCOUNTS' when booking. Call 0843 208 1234 (option 3) (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to book now or make a booking request online|. †

My First Matchday
Make sure you book your My First Matchday package to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday.

Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the players' tunnel imagining 25,000 fans welcoming you onto the pitch, pretend you're directing players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, enjoy the best seat in the house by sitting in the Chairman's seat, interview your parent or guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and meet a Fulham FC legend! 

The cost of this fantastic experience is just £80, which will include a match ticket for both the Junior (under 12) and accompanying Adult. Additional tickets can also be bought for this game, subject to availability

To book your place for any of the below fixtures, call 0870 442 1234 (option 3) today! Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 020 7384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade B)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £42   £28   £15 
Hammersmith / Putney   All Blocks   £35   £25   £15 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £30   £20   £10 

Junior - under 16
Concessions: Young Person - under 21
Concessions: Senior - over 65
Disabled Supporters: 50% discount - conditions apply

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/StokeHome.aspx#ixzz1BMv4H1wH

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/17/2310535/liverpool-boss-kenny-dalglish-vows-to-rebuild-paul-konchesky

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish vows to 'rebuild' Paul Konchesky & Christian Poulsen

Scot claims duo still have Anfield future

By Alex Fisher

17 Jan 2011 21:06:00

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has reassured Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen that they both still have a future at Anfield and he will be working with them to rebuild their confidence and reputations.

Both Konchesky and Poulsen arrived at Anfield in the summer but have struggled to make an impact as the Reds failed to impress under former boss Roy Hodgson although has Dalglish admitted both players are still important parts of his squad.

"We've got a couple of senior players who the supporters haven't exactly seen eye to eye with," Dalglish told ESPN.

"We've got to try to rebuild them. If we can get Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky back on side then that makes the squad that bit deeper.

"Christian played very well at Blackpool and Paul will get an opportunity as well."

The Scot went on to admit that he feels there is a lot of belief coming back into Liverpool's play after their disappointing campaign up to now.

"We want our best players on the pitch," he continued.

"There is a lot we still have to analyse but really there has been a lot of positive things from the players.

"We were happy with the way we are playing. There is a lot of belief coming back into the players and that is great for us."

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/sampdoria-reveal-interest-fulham-s-kamara-1391101

Sampdoria reveal interest in Fulham's Kamara

Italian club Sampdoria have revealed that they were keen on bringing in Fulham's Diomansy Kamara.

The interest came prior to them signing Manchester United's Federico Macheda on loan but they have confirmed that Kamara was certainly a target at one stage says his agent Fabrizio Ferrari.

"They wanted Kamara on loan for six months, but there weren't the right conditions for the successful conclusion of the deal," he told calciomercato.com.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/223773/Jay-Bothroyd-is-staying-our-Bluebird

JAY BOTHROYD IS STAYING OUR BLUEBIRD

THE race for Jay Bothroyd is hotting up after Cardiff turned down a bid from an unnamed Premier League club.

Newcastle, Birmingham and Fulham have been linked with England striker Bothroyd, 28, who faces a fitness test on a hamstring before Dave Jones names his team to face Stoke in the FA Cup third-round replay tonight.

But Championship high-fliers Cardiff have rebuffed an approach for Bothroyd, who is out of contract at the end of the season – and Jones has warned potential buyers against trying to land him on the cheap.

Jones said: "We've had one enquiry and Jay knows about it. I had a long chat with him on Sunday and I'm sure he won't mind me saying that he wants to stay at this club.

"We said no [to the approach] but, because his contract is up in June, people think they can come and take him for a measly amount of money.

"We want to keep Jay and get the best out of him. After that, whether he decides to stay is up to him."

Bothroyd, whose 15 goals this season led to an England debut off the bench in the 2-1 defeat by France at Wembley in November, has managed just three goalless appearances for his club since.

However, he injured a hamstring after only eight minutes of Cardiff's 1-1 draw with Preston on  December 4, which has kept him sidelined for a lot longer than initially expected.

Bothroyd spent a month on loan at Stoke from then employers Wolves in the spring of 2008, making four appearances.

He missed the 1-1 draw at the Britannia Stadium 10 days ago – as did another former Stoke striker, Jon Parkin, who was hampered by a knee strain following his transfer-window switch from Preston.

But with Parkin making a goalscoring debut for the Bluebirds in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Norwich, both strikers could well come back to haunt Stoke boss Tony Pulis tonight.

The prize is a fourth-round trip to either Wolves or Doncaster, who also replay tonight.

"We worked so hard at Stoke and we'll need more of the same if we want to go through," said Jones.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/223773/Jay-Bothroyd-is-staying-our-BluebirdJay-Bothroyd-is-staying-our-Bluebird#ixzz1BN9IP5on

White Noise

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/sverige/allsvenskan/elfsborg/article8426295.ab

Elfsborg in the process of coryza Kalmar on Elm

Sweden v David Elm says he is not happy with the situation in Fulham and now seems to be the next club address Allsvenskan Elfsborg.

Aftonbladet.se not responsible for what is written in blogs.

"I am not happy at Fulham"

Elfsborg can strike with the season's first major acquisition bang.

Boras The team is close to buying off David Elm, 28, in front of Kalmar FF.

- I am not happy with my situation here in Fulham, "said Elm.

The eldest of the brothers left the Elm surprising Kalmar FF for Fulham in the summer 2009 when the Premier League team paid just over five million for the striker.

Aside from a few successful matches, David Elm been mostly outside the Fulham match troops or sat on the bench.

Prepared release
Now the London club signaled that it is prepared to let the Swede.

Both Kalmar FF Elfsborg have expressed an interest - a tug of war that Boras team is going to win, according to sources close to Fulham.

Elfsborg are ready to pay about five million to 190 cm tall and 90 kg heavy Elm. Kalmar's bid is around two million.

Do not want to comment
- I have no comments about various players, "said Elfsborg coach Magnus Haglund.

- But it is not impossible that another one or two of our players are moving in the next few weeks and that we get some new names.

Elfsborg recently sold the team's top scorer Denni Avdic to Werder Bremen for 22 million and striker Fredrik Berglund has chosen to quit.

Therefore, Elfsborg get to take home b on the Elm and Lasse Nilsson, who had promised to leave Vitesse on a free transfer.

"Take a while"
The question is how attackers use and Elfsborg FORM his starting eleven.

- It will probably take a little while longer before we put our troops. Then play types determine what game systems we use, "said Magnus Haglund.

When Sportbladet is in contact with David Elm, he is reticent about the interested clubs.

- I would not say more than that I am not happy with my situation here in Fulham, says David Elm.

Not giving up hope
Kalmar FF has not given up on acquiring home David Elm.

- Our ambition is to find a solution, that David can come back to Kalmar, says President John Peters.

- It's no secret that we have a good economy, but we have many commitments, including a new arena. It's about finding the right balance.

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 18, 2011, 08:08:10 AM
http://tribalfootball.com/articles/sampdoria-reveal-interest-fulham-s-kamara-1391101

Sampdoria reveal interest in Fulham's Kamara

Italian club Sampdoria have revealed that they were keen on bringing in Fulham's Diomansy Kamara.

The interest came prior to them signing Manchester United's Federico Macheda on loan but they have confirmed that Kamara was certainly a target at one stage says his agent Fabrizio Ferrari.

Pleas take him off of our hands.
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-ace-missed-italian-job---agent-1151377.html?

Cottage ace missed Italian job - Agent

The agent of Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara claims Italian outfit Sampdoria tried and failed to sign the player this January.

Fabrizio Ferrari revealed that the Serie A side wanted Kamara to bolster their forward line in the second half of the season as they sit in tenth spot in the standings. However, after the two clubs could not agree the terms of a loan deal, Sampdoria opted to swoop for Manchester United youngster Federico Macheda instead.

"They wanted Kamara on loan for six months, but there weren't the right conditions for the successful conclusion of the deal," Ferrari told calciomercato.com.

Kamara has made 10 Premier League appearances this season and will now look to get into boss Mark Hughes' first-team plans on a regular basis, despite Andrew Johnson and Moussa Dembele's return to fitness and Bobby Zamora being a month away from his comeback from a broken leg.

White Noise

Fulham's Steel

Tuesday 18th January 2011

The chant, 'We've got Bairdinho' rang out around the DW Stadium last weekend and the Fulham faithful will be hoping Fulham's Northern Ireland international, Chris Baird, will repeat his striking exploits against Stoke City at the Cottage this weekend.
|
Baird's brace at the Britannia Stadium at the end of December secured Fulham their first away win of the season and following another impressive display away from home last weekend, Baird praised the steel Fulham have shown on their travels recently.

"I think we definitely deserved the three points against Wigan last Saturday," Baird told fulhamfc.com. "We played really well despite the condition of the pitch which didn't make it easy.

"To go a goal down wasn't nice but we showed good determination to get back into the game. We were pushing for the equaliser and thankfully AJ got it for us.

"It's always hard to go to places like Wigan and it's always a battle. We've been doing that well lately and getting the points."

Following some inspired performances in central midfield and at right back last season, Baird has made the left back position his own in recent weeks and the player clearly values game time above all else.

"I'm quite confident there [at left back]," explained Baird. "I'm playing games and that is the most important thing for me."

Mark Hughes' Team will be looking to achieve the double over Stoke City this weekend at the Cottage. Tickets for Saturday's Barclays Premier League encounter are now on General Sale (KO 3pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/BairdOnWigan.aspx#ixzz1BNkTzGP6

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852929-shay-given-transfer-to-arsenal-or-fulham-not-guaranteed-roberto-mancini

Shay Given transfer to Arsenal or Fulham 'not guaranteed' - Mancini

Roberto Mancini has defended his decision to restrict goalkeeper Shay Given's appearances for Manchester City this season.

Uncertain: Shay Given isn't necessarily a keeper for Manchester City (PA)

The Republic of Ireland international has been shunted down to second-choice keeper at Eastlands, featuring only four times – and not once in the league – this term, with the Italian boss preferring England No.1 Joe Hart between the posts.

As a result, Given is keen to leave City, with a host of their Premier League rivals linked with the highly-rated 34-year-old.

MORE: Manchester City transfer news and rumours

However, Mancini has warned Given it is not certain such a move will be granted.

'It is not a simple position,' Mancini said. 'You can change the other players every game but the goalkeeper is different.

'That is the only reason why Shay has not played so often because he is a fantastic goalkeeper.'

MORE: Arsenal transfer news and rumours

At the end of last season, Mancini signed Marton Fulop as an emergency keeper when Given was injured after an attempt to get Hart out of his loan spell at Birmingham failed.

So, with the stakes even higher this time for second-in-the-table City, Mancini is not willing to risk leaving himself so badly exposed again ahead of the title run-in.

MORE: Fulham transfer news and rumours

Given will be handed a rare start in the FA Cup third-round replay at home to Leicester, while another of City's big-name bench-warmers, Patrick Vieira also looks set to play.

'Patrick Vieira is an important member of our squad,' Mancini said of the 34-year-old Frenchman.

'He will probably play, along with Jerome Boateng, James Milner, David Silva, Jo and Joleon Lescott.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852929-shay-given-transfer-to-arsenal-or-fulham-not-guaranteed-roberto-mancini#ixzz1BNl4aeby