watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Those Season ticket holders living outside London

Started by Sammyffc, August 14, 2023, 12:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C Block

Quote from: Bill2 on August 14, 2023, 05:24:21 PMI live near Windsor, I park near Langley and get the 702 bus, if you have a bus pass it is free, if not it is £2 each way at the moment. Parking opposite the hotel entrance is free.
The 702 goes through Windsor why drive to Langley?

(White man) In Hamm End

If you park two roads further down the Lower Richmond Road going towards Putney Common from Danemere Street onwards the parking is free.

Southcoastffc

In answer to the original question I always drive these days.  It's not just the cost of rail travel, it's reliability.  It's also comfort and convenience (though my 100 mile round trip pales into insignificance against a journey from Manchester).  As others have pointed out above, there's plenty of free parking around if you dig about beforehand. Also, the JustPark app is very useful in finding relatively cheap places.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jonny4

I get the train down from Manchester for most home games, but my railcard has just expired and now I'm not eligible for one.

Unfortunately an off peak return from Manchester to Euston is £100 these days and there's almost no way to get it cheaper, no matter how early in advance you book or split the tickets.

Train prices are ridiculous in this country, it's a disgrace.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Sammyffc on August 14, 2023, 12:20:10 PMHow do you get to games ?

Drive? Train?

I recently moved for work and the train prices are absolutely SCANDALOUS to get into London so i may just drive, if parking is easy?

Potential for car sharing with other Manchester-based supporters?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Colton F.C.

Jim©

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 14, 2023, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: Jim© on August 14, 2023, 01:21:35 PMDrive from South Devon.
Train can be pretty quick (2hrs 30 min on a fast one) but it's ridiculously expensive- around £300 return for son and I at least.

Have you tried the SW Train from Exeter...found that to be cheaper

Yeah, but exeter is about an hour from me anyway so it feels like I've already gone a fair way already.
I may have a look at prices though- they are a disgrace from Totnes.

Bill2

Quote from: C Block on August 14, 2023, 07:32:16 PM
Quote from: Bill2 on August 14, 2023, 05:24:21 PMI live near Windsor, I park near Langley and get the 702 bus, if you have a bus pass it is free, if not it is £2 each way at the moment. Parking opposite the hotel entrance is free.
The 702 goes through Windsor why drive to Langley?
I said near Windsor so would have to drive to get the bus anyway. Would have to pay for parking, also the time it takes to get through Slough I can be back in my car and home feet up.

gang

I travel from Newark by train every home match with a rail card and it's certainly better than driving to and through London.

Stan the Man

A train from near Fareham, less than £35 rtn, with a travel card.

Maidstone Lee

Live in Maidstone, drive up to Mottingham and get the train in. Normally around £8/9 with a railcard.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Lordedmundo

HS1 train into London St Pancras from Ramsgate is around £25 for an off peak return with a railcard, which I don't think is too expensive. However, that is in comparison to the peak fare which is around £100 return (thankfully I rarely need to commute any more)!

ffc73

I commute by train into London from Horsham so in my head I get to travel to Fulham games for free by using my rail season ticket at a weekend  ::wink::

Steeeeeeeeeed

The Network Railcard is very good for most adults for such "occasional" trips into London, as are the Senior Railcards for over 60s, and 2 for 1 Railcards if regularly travelling with somebody else etc.

One option I haven't seen here, that may suit some is to get the cheapest Annual Travelcard, which gets you a Gold Card for free...(and has extra benefits over Network Railcards, such as a larger area of the UK you can get the discount on (up to Birmingham, and out to Norwich, etc), but is more expensive)

Here's a discussion on it...

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hatton-to-lapworth-still-the-cheapest-annual-season.157834/#post-4356530

From a quick search the cheapest I can find is Hatton
to Lapworth for £196, then Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour for £200, it used to be Lichfield City to Lichfield Parkway but that's now £204....

Info on The Gold Card...
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tickets-railcards-and-offers/railcards/annual-gold-card/

So quite a big outlay, but has benefits for people who would use it quite a lot and for folk in the Midlands / East Anglia etc.... I was looking into getting one, last year but for me  the Network Railcard is better value really.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Jonny4 on August 15, 2023, 08:33:22 AMI get the train down from Manchester for most home games, but my railcard has just expired and now I'm not eligible for one.

Unfortunately an off peak return from Manchester to Euston is £100 these days and there's almost no way to get it cheaper, no matter how early in advance you book or split the tickets.

Train prices are ridiculous in this country, it's a disgrace.

Thought everybody could purchase an annual railcard.....about £30/year....there are also senior 3 year railcards available

sarnian

Fly into Gatwick, get train and tube using railcard.

Used to get the 10.20 to Gatwick and fly back at 19.40 so just a day trip. Now with there often being strikes and games finishing later with new rules it now means an overnight hotel.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 14, 2023, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: Jim© on August 14, 2023, 01:21:35 PMDrive from South Devon.
Train can be pretty quick (2hrs 30 min on a fast one) but it's ridiculously expensive- around £300 return for son and I at least.

Have you tried the SW Train from Exeter...found that to be cheaper

Trundle line from Central to Waterloo via Putney with a railcard and after 9.30 came in at £47 return back end of last season. Get off at Clapham, walk over to platform five for Putney. On the way back loiter between platforms 7 and 9 at Waterloo. (Clapham is heaving on the way back and most of the seats are already taken). The train that arrives on either 7 or 9 at about 6pm at Waterloo is the one that returns to Exeter. Get on one of the front three carriages, the train divides at Salisbury ,once the nice man at the ticket barrier confirms it's the Exeter train. Make yourself comfortable, have a wee and then wait for the carnage to ensue once the big board shows the platform and destination. I am constantly amazed what some people think a train is for and I am sure some people think there will be a porter to stack their luggage.
Going up is ok but the way back can be a three and a half hour ball ache

Edit. Obviously don't get off a Clapham for Putney on the way back. You don't lose any money and this package is cheaper than separating the journeys.

Lester Burnham

Quote from: sarnian on August 15, 2023, 02:15:50 PMFly into Gatwick, get train and tube using railcard.

Used to get the 10.20 to Gatwick and fly back at 19.40 so just a day trip. Now with there often being strikes and games finishing later with new rules it now means an overnight hotel.
You're a season ticket holder? Wow! Massive props! How many games do you attend and where do you live?

sarnian

Quote from: Lester Burnham on August 15, 2023, 10:29:47 PM
Quote from: sarnian on August 15, 2023, 02:15:50 PMFly into Gatwick, get train and tube using railcard.

You're a season ticket holder? Wow! Massive props! How many games do you attend and where do you live?
Wife and I have been season ticket holders since we returned to the Cottage 20 years ago. Both born and bred in Guernsey. The only games we miss are if we are away on holiday, bad weather or off ill.

Shredhead

I travel from Brighton by rail for about £17 with a Senior Railcard. Evening games are more expensive than weekend. From my local station to Putney takes 1 hour 11 minutes (assuming going according to plan).
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC