watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

More accountable'

Started by Andy S, August 15, 2023, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Every one of us has to be accountable in our jobs these days. Yet referees are not even slightly accountable to the people they serve. The fans, the paying public, the players and the managers. It is no good apologising to the club after a match. There should be league tables showing who the best referees are. We should be shown who the referees are that are falling short. I know it is a hard job but we should be given the opportunity to judge every referee and official the way we are all judged in our working life. After all they are paid for by us

TheOnionBag

Great in principal however it will soon become everyone haranguing the officials even more than is already the case via social media.
At Everton on Saturday I was convinced Maupey was offside when the ball was headed down to him leno saved the shot anyway before Ream put the ball out for a corner, I was close to being in line in the away end, turns out the assistant ref did know better than me as the replays showed he was behind the ball when it was knocked down (or perhaps he didn't flag as was waiting to be saved/bailed out by VAR).
perhaps its just as well I never became a ref, going back to the home play off semi v Grimsby Paul Moody was sent off for a foul on a Grimsby player, at the time I ranted and raved that he barely touched the player (I may have been caught up in the moment), replays showed the Grimsby player was lucky his leg was still attached.   

Lighthouse

VAR was supposed to lessen the moments in games when referees get it wrong. I do think opinions on incidents vary from week to week that it isn't just the officials fault at the time. But the interpretation of yet another addition to a law. But making officials more accountable sounds ok however I don't see it improving the system or the referees.

We need far simpler rules that don't need several translators and interpreters to understand what a new law means.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

H4usuallysitting

I think ref's should be replaced with AI

toshes mate

There was a time when accountability meant something but today it isn't clear that it means anything good at all. Indeed many seem accountable to an agenda put in place by a hypocrite who does all the things s/he tells you not to do. The simple thing is people must have a conscience because if you don't then not just you are screwed but all those relying on you are screwed too.

Football has lost its conscience because it would be immensely damaging, financially, to the sport as a whole and certain most important individuals in particular as they are ripped apart in courts of discovery in the act of being restored to "honesty and goodness". There are just too many people who have failed in their duty of care to others because they don't care and have never cared and they know who they are.  Too much damage already done to turn back as easily as they could have done at the beginning when they were first made aware that they were being dangerously deceitful. The tick box society has failed bu it still carries on as if nothing is wrong.

Each of us has a conscience and the ability to tell right from wrong, when we conduct ourselves, but sadly society no longer lives by those standards when you could lose everything by not following a dishonest agenda constructed by those who have no conscience at all.  That is why so much stuff is in a mess right now.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 15, 2023, 01:51:48 PMI think ref's should be replaced with AI

But there's only one AL, he can't do all the games
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Fulham 442

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66506026

Officials to miss weekend games after Wolves penalty error.  No consolation to Wolves though...

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 15, 2023, 03:21:23 PMhttps://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66506026

Officials to miss weekend games after Wolves penalty error.  No consolation to Wolves though...

I'd be terrified if I was a referee forced to work with Salisbury as the VAR. He was the VAR in the match last season where Hjoberg stomped Mitoma's foot that should have been a pen as well. There were 2 or 3 other VAR screw ups in that match too.

They need to demote him at this point and move him off VAR. His suspension last spring seems to have done nothing to improve his decision making as VAR.

Fulham Tup North

Gotta feel for Wolves they get robbed of a point..
Pointless saying sorry when you have cheated a team... it's always the same big team bias... the EPL Refs are so blatant cheats.... I couldn't name one decent ref..
 ::angry::
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

fancyfeet4

There is accountability.  The crew for the United game are off games this week (and guessing not being paid). Considering online abuse and modern fandom, I am ok with it not being public.  I would like the higher-ups to communicate at a broad level, but the actual people working the matches shouldnt be put out there for more scrutiny. 

The job is impossible because its extremely subjective and the game is faster than ever with players looking for edges all over the place.

VAR cant solve all problems because like I said above, there is subjectivity in the game.  Also VAR uses slow motion, which exaggerates so much of what happens.  For me all replays should be at full speed because going pixel by pixel is not the reality of whats happening on the pitch.

For me technology should only be used for goal line tech and maybe offside.  The rest is just subjective and we have to live with the good and bad.  VAR clearly doesnt fix it all.

perry geyton

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 15, 2023, 01:51:48 PMI think ref's should be replaced with AI
Be careful what you wish for

Also the players aren't far off from becoming robots either

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: fancyfeet4 on August 15, 2023, 06:40:43 PMThe rest is just subjective and we have to live with the good and bad.
There was nothing 'subjective' about that ignored penalty for Wolves last evening... it was so obviously a Penalty, the decision was laughable.  Show me ONE person who thinks it wasn't a penalty and I will show you a Man Utd fan!!
The system is so poor and the EPL don't care ... and there's nothing you can do about it..
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"