News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Inter Miami, Messi and the state of the MLS..

Started by General, August 16, 2023, 11:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Inter were almost rock bottom of their league when he arrived, cue his arrival, alongside that of Busquets and Jordi Alba and they now beat every team they play against, tending to score 3-4 goals in most games.

It's very entertaining to watch, and Messi is as good as he's ever been, changing the results of games singlehandedly. Inter Miami's players in the short time he's been there look much better and sharper, another knock on effect.

They yesterday beat Philadelphia Union, who were one of the top teams in the league 4-1 and made them look decidedly amateurish.

Messi himself scored a 30+ yrd goal, which he shot along the ground... the furthest he's ever scored from.

For me it seems to really highlight the shortcomings, as well as the potential of the league.

The Philadelphia Union defending was pretty abject, with the GK and defence making some very schoolboy errors, whilst if you watched Messi's goal, you'd be forgiven for thinking that he's finding it so easy that it's almost a joke.. It's as if, surrounded by 3 outfield players, 30 yrds from goal, he found so much space to one side of the goal, he thought he could in essence pass the ball into the corner of a net.

It's been great to see Inter Miami do well, they genuinely seem to have switched on and become much more clinical - a knock on effect I imagine to having Messi, Busquets, Alba and the former Argentina national coach play with them day in day out.

Callendar their GK did make one particularly impressive save during the game, whilst their finnish? striker robert taylor also seems galvanised. One of their other goals, I believe by Martinez, was a very quick snap shot which caught Philadelphia's GK completely off guard, which suggests he's not used to MLS players not taking their time.

All in all, it has definitely spiked my interested in MLS and in particular Inter Miami, but the league is still a long way far behind even the Championship I'd say.

Worth checking them out if you haven't already.. especially given the Florida links to Fulham (not that it goes much more beyond that).

Somerset Fulham

You could put those three into a lot of Premier League sides and they would still probably improve them.

I don't watch the MLS but should take some time out to have a look really. I will do that.

Mcbridles

They are coming to my home town to play our team, Nashville SC in the final. Though you would hardly know an opposing team exists since the news is all Messi. I think teams are better than they have played against Miami in this tournament. Too much backing off. Dallas had them on the ropes and, less a ridiculous own goal, would have likely taken the game. They did it by being aggressive and not sitting back to defend. Philly fell into that trap. I am hoping Nashville play their game and if they lose, lose on their terms not hoping try and contain Mess and Co.

Willham

Quote from: General on August 16, 2023, 11:26:46 AMInter were almost rock bottom of their league when he arrived, cue his arrival, alongside that of Busquets and Jordi Alba and they now beat every team they play against, tending to score 3-4 goals in most games.

It's very entertaining to watch, and Messi is as good as he's ever been, changing the results of games singlehandedly. Inter Miami's players in the short time he's been there look much better and sharper, another knock on effect.

They yesterday beat Philadelphia Union, who were one of the top teams in the league 4-1 and made them look decidedly amateurish.

Messi himself scored a 30+ yrd goal, which he shot along the ground... the furthest he's ever scored from.

For me it seems to really highlight the shortcomings, as well as the potential of the league.

The Philadelphia Union defending was pretty abject, with the GK and defence making some very schoolboy errors, whilst if you watched Messi's goal, you'd be forgiven for thinking that he's finding it so easy that it's almost a joke.. It's as if, surrounded by 3 outfield players, 30 yrds from goal, he found so much space to one side of the goal, he thought he could in essence pass the ball into the corner of a net.

It's been great to see Inter Miami do well, they genuinely seem to have switched on and become much more clinical - a knock on effect I imagine to having Messi, Busquets, Alba and the former Argentina national coach play with them day in day out.

Callendar their GK did make one particularly impressive save during the game, whilst their finnish? striker robert taylor also seems galvanised. One of their other goals, I believe by Martinez, was a very quick snap shot which caught Philadelphia's GK completely off guard, which suggests he's not used to MLS players not taking their time.

All in all, it has definitely spiked my interested in MLS and in particular Inter Miami, but the league is still a long way far behind even the Championship I'd say.

Worth checking them out if you haven't already.. especially given the Florida links to Fulham (not that it goes much more beyond that).

This is a really interesting post to me, from my side my personal interest in the MLS has wavered since Messi joining, it's not a level playing field, I still enjoy some games away from inter miami but overall my interest has wavered,

I feel your post brings up the saudi league and whether the better players will spark more interest in the league, I personally have been feeling more and more disconnected from football and this year ive found more interest elsewhere, like rugby league, but from your post I feel I maybe a minority, or at least some feel differently.

FishaPrice

Its tempting to compare different leagues with each other to get a sense of which league is better etc. As an lifelong MLS fan, it's my opinion that the overall quality of the MLS is not on par with the Championship. However, even with the rawness and naivety of some of the players, the league has improved so much since the Beckham era. He elevated the MLS when he joined the Galaxy, and I think that has had a positive trickle down effect on our semi-professional and youth programs. Growing up, the sport was relentlessly mocked in popular culture, but all that has changed. Beckham did so much to elevate the sport in America and Messi has the same opportunity. I am so happy he is playing competitively and doesn't appear to be content just to just cash a paycheck. He is earning his money and its great to see players who likely never dreamed of sharing a field with Messi get the opportunity to share the spotlight. While I love watching the sport at its highest level, I also find it refreshing and thrilling to watch professionals who aren't elite. I like to pretend I am a scout when I watch MLS games, looking for a diamond in the rough. Watching player that are trying their best to make a name for themselves in the sport and move up the ladder has a wholesomeness about it. Sprinkle in a few mega stars and big names to spice things up, and the league can be pretty entertaining.

fulhamfever

its actually a tournament called the Leagues Cup (Liga MX Mexico and the MLS).

Matt10

I think defending in the MLS is not the same as "Defending Messi in the MLS". Pretty sure managers have a different game plan than usual when they're about to face Messi and Busquets alone. So the negativity of general MLS defending because of how Messi is playing against them is a pretty skewed approach.

love4ffc

As a Yank I really want the MLS to get better and become a top-notch league.  I agree somewhat with FishaPrice that Beckham playing in the MLS did elevate the league a bit.  At least it showed other players who were aging out or not doing so well in the top European leagues that the MLS is a viable option for them to continue their playing careers with.  I would also agree that players like Beckham and Messi playing in the MLS have helped with growing the youth development side of the sport.  Although I think the sport has been growing exponentially over the last few decades then more people give it credit for it.

Personally, I don't watch the MLS games anymore and only check occasionally on how my local team are doing and what the standings are.  I blame a lot of my disinterest on the MLS selling its TV rights to Apple.  I refuse to pay for another streaming service and believe my household is already paying far too much as is. 

Don't get me wrong, I will gladly attend an MLS match if a mate has an extra ticket.  But I'm not paying the ticket prices that the Messi effect has currently created.  Friends were looking to attend the Inter Miami regular season game against Charlotte, prices jumped up to almost an average of $300 and that was for the nosebleed sections.  The good seats are being resold for more then 4 times that number. 

The last thing I will say is I'm not totally convinced that Beckham and Messi are a good thing for the development of American players.  Currently an MLS team can only have 8 foreign players per team but there are ways around that rule.  Teams are also only allowed to have two "designated players" that are compensated above and beyond the league salary cap of $651,250.  Known conveniently as the "Beckham rule".  Inter Miami paid $150K to the San Jose Earthquakes to gain a third "designated player" slot presumably to make room for Suarez to join.  All of this means less senior team slots for American players in the top domestic league. 

Some will argue that all of this will make the league better and help to develop those American players who are able to make a senior team slot.  I'm not convinced yet and still think all of this is more about developing the leagues entertainment value rather then actually developing an American competitive league.  For now, all this is doing is proving that as an American player who wants to continue their development at the top levels, that you better go overseas. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?