more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best sports quotation of all times?

Started by NogoodBoyo, February 15, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

What no Strachan quotes?...

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...the funniest thing I have ever heard from Strachan was when he was being hounded by a TV crew and correspondent for a comment after a game:-

TV Crew: "Mr Strachan, can I have a quick word"

Gordon Strachan: "Velocity"
and he walked away! Absolute classic...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

LBNo11

...not forgetting 'Jonners', Brian Johnston, I'm not a fan of cricket, but he made it worth listening to:-

"The bowlers Holding, the batsman's Willey"

and

"Harvey, standing at leg slip with his legs apart, waiting for a tickle"

RIP Jonners...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Logicalman

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on February 15, 2010, 02:56:37 PM
Da iawn, Owen. 
I saw you watched the Wales/Scotland game.  It was reported as being the most exciting game of all times!  We can't get any rugby over here.  Even the BBC online service doesn't show the highlights overseas.  Sickening.  I might just have to move back to the land of rain and gumboots.
Nogood "there's terrrible, it is isit" Boyo

Setanta Sports have been covering the 6 Nations Boyo.

Today:
#   12:15 am   Six Nations: Wales v Scotland
2008 champions Wales host Scotland at the Millennium Stadium.
# 2:00 am Six Nations: France v Ireland
France play host to defending champions Ireland at the Stade de France as they look to avenge their defeat at Croke Park last season.
# 3:45 am Six Nations: Italy v England
Italy host England at the Stadio Flaminio, where they hope to make history with their first victory over Martin Johnson's side.

Tomorrow:
4:15 am   Six Nations: Wales v Scotland

Thursday:
#   2:30 am   Six Nations: France v Ireland
France play host to defending champions Ireland at the Stade de France as they look to avenge their defeat at Croke Park last season.
# 4:15 am Six Nations: Italy v England
Italy host England at the Stadio Flaminio, where they hope to make history with their first victory over Martin Johnson's side.
#   3:15 pm   Six Nations: Italy v England
# 5:00 pm Six Nations: Wales v Scotland
# 6:45 pm Six Nations: France v Ireland
# 8:30 pm Six Nations Highlights
A round up of all the action from the weekend's Six Nations fixtures.
# 10:15 pm Rugby Game of the Week
Italy v England

Friday:
12:00 am   Six Nations Highlights
#   1:00 pm   Six Nations Highlights
# 2:00 pm Total Rugby
The International Rugby Board's weekly television programme, containing an exciting mix of features and action.

Do you want them recorded and sent to you?

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

TheDaddy

Sir Bobby Robson

We didn't underestimate them but they were a lot better than we thought – after England sneaked through against Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup.

The first 90 minutes are the most important.

We're flying on the Concorde. That'll shorten the distance – that's self-explanatory.

I would have given my right arm to be a pianist.

I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final – but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final.

I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball. I think long and short balls is what football is all about.

He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him.

If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won't lay any eggs in the basket.

There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that might be the game they lose.

Steve Hodge has been unfit for two weeks, well, no, for 14 days.

Look at those olive trees – they're two hundred years old – from before the time of Christ! – Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in Barcelona.

Titus looks like Tyson when he strips off in the dressing-room, except he doesn't bite and has a great tackle – on Titus Bramble at Newcastle.

I played cricket for my local village. It was 40 overs per side, and the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of football.

He's got his legs back, of course, or his leg – he's always had one but now he's got two.

He never fails to hit the target – but that was a miss.

Sir Bobby to Bryan Robson: Good morning, Bobby. Bryan: You're Bobby, I'm Bryan!

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/funny-quotes-by-football-managers/1203/#ixzz0fibrhHn5
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

TheDaddy

Brian Clough
I wouldn't say I'm the best manager but I'm in the top one

They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job

If I had an argument with a player we would sit down for twenty minutes, talk about it and then decide I was right!

The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years

Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right

Football hooligans – well, there are 92 club chairmen for a start

I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball? He might grab mine.

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/funny-quotes-by-football-managers/1203/#ixzz0firW0dQa
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

The Equalizer

Fantastic stuff there Daddy. Bobby and Cloughy were true geniuses!

SoCalJoe

A couple more from Yogi Berra; "That guy hits from both sides of the plate, he's amphibious","Even Napoleon had his Watergate", "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken"

John McKay was an American football college coaching legend who was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers first coach and had to endure 26 straight losses to begin the teams' history;

When asked about the Bucs execution following a loss.."I think it's a good idea"
"If a contest had 97 prizes, the 98th prize would be a trip to Green Bay"
"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking"
You can observe a lot by just watching.

HatterDon

a Yank favorite.

Philadelphia 76er Moses Malone after the first game of the first round of the NBA playoffs: "I am not over-confident about this series. ... and I'm not over-confident about the next round either."

and another.

"I don't have any pre-game superstitions. I think they're bad luck." -- Tommy John, LA Dodgers

and another.

"You shouldn't compare me with my father. Our similarities are different." Dale Berra [Yogi's son]

and finally.

"If the Super Bowl is 'the ultimate game' why are they having another one next year?" -- Duane Thomas, Dallas Cowboys.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

Thanks Logical for the offer.  Very kind of you.  We don't speak Setanta in my manor, but I'll see if I can get the highlights from a friend at least.
Nogood "oval and out" Boyo