watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steven sessegnon completes permanent move to Wigan

Started by General, August 26, 2023, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

23 Yr old calls time on his time at fulham securing a two year contract.

Wish him well.

STEVEN SESSEGNON SIGNS FOR WIGAN ATHLETIC ON A TWO YEAR CONTRACT FOLLOWING HIS DEPARTURE FROM PREMIER LEAGUE SIDE FULHAM - SUBJECT TO EFL AND FA APPROVAL.

Wigan Athletic sign wing back Steven Sessegnon on a two year contract!23-year-old joins Latics after leaving Premier League side FulhamSessegnon played 38 games for Charlton Athletic in a loan spell last season

Wigan Athletic are delighted to confirm the capture of versatile wing-back Steven Sessegnon on a two-year contract, subject to EFL and FA approval.

Sessegnon, who is the twin brother of Tottenham Hotspur's Ryan Sessegnon, arrives at the DW Stadium following his departure from Premier League side, Fulham.

The 23-year-old made a string of impressive performances last season following a loan spell with fellow Sky Bet League One side Charlton Athletic, where he played over 30 games.

Hailing from Roehampton, Sessegnon came through the youth ranks of Fulham and made his professional debut in a EFL Cup defeat to Bristol Rovers in 2017. He went on to make 19 appearances in all competitions for the Cottagers with the majority of those coming in the Sky Bet Championship. He then had successful loan spells at Bristol City, Plymouth Argyle and most recently Charlton Athletic.

Sessegnon has represented England at all youth levels from U16 all the way up to U21 level. He featured five times for England in the U17 World Cup in India, including a start in the final, as England lifted the silverware.

He scored his first International goal for England U19s against Moldova before in 2019 he was included in the England U21 squad for the first time, making his debut during the 3–2 U21 Euro qualifying win against Turkey.

Sessegnon is predominantly a right wing-back, but he spent the majority of his loan spell at Charlton Athletic plying his trade at left wing-back. The 23-year-old will now link up with Shaun Maloney's squad, becoming the Club's ninth signing of the Summer Transfer Window.

Commenting on his move to the DW Stadium, Steven Sessegnon said:

"I am very happy and very excited to be here. I can't wait to meet everyone, players fans and staff. I can't wait to get going.

"The manager played a big part in my move. The way he sets out his team, and how he said I would fit into it, is what I found perfect for myself, for my development and for my career.

"I can bring a lot to the team not just on the right side, but on the left as well. I had a good year playing on the left side last year so hopefully I can continue that good form here.

"I can grow as a player not just individually, but help the club grow as well and I look forward to everything that comes with playing for Wigan Athletic."

First-Team Manager, Shaun Maloney added:

"I am pleased that Steven has decided to join our club.

"Steven has all the attributes that our team needs in both full-back positions. He is aggressive when defending one-on-one and is technically very good when in possession.

"He has experience both at a Premier League club in Fulham, as well as playing in the Championship and League One. I am convinced Steven has the potential to develop further and I look forward to working with him.

"Steven will spend the coming weeks doing conditioning work and integrating into full training, so I look forward to seeing him in a Wigan Athletic shirt in September."

Sessegnon will wear the number 5 shirt and will be welcomed to the DW Stadium crowd at half-time during Latics' home clash with Barnsley on Saturday.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2023/august/26/latics-sign-defender-steven-sessegnon-on-a-two-year-contract/

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Twig

Good luck Steven, you and your brother were class acts and I wish you both well in your careers.

Eton White

I hope he's made the right move - Wigan have been a complete mess of a club in recent years and have been repeatedly deducted points for not paying staff and players etc.

I think they now have a new owner so hopefully a bit more stability this season. They've certainly made a strong start so far, so things are hopefully looking better.

Good luck for the future Steven.

Dodgin

filham

No mention of a transfer fee which I imagine means it was free.

bog

Good luck Steven. I will never forget you playing for the England lads along side Foden and your crosses causing havoc.   ::thumb::

Pock

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on August 26, 2023, 01:36:45 PMNo mention of a transfer fee which I imagine means it was free.

He was released by Fulham earlier this summer, so a free agent.

He will be a PL player within a few seasons if he is over his injury issues. Good luck!

Buffalo76

Judging by the size of their home attendances, it won't take long for him to meet the fans 😆

HV71

Best of luck - let us hope your injuries are behind you and that you can make a real impact

Andy S