watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham surprise favourites to sign Oxlaide Chamberlain

Started by NorthernWhite, January 18, 2011, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

He would be loaned back to Southampton on reading this for the remainder of the season so wouldn't help us right now. There's certainly been a lot of noise about how good this lad could be so if we maintain our status and still strengthen our weak areas now, this could be a good investment for the future and a possible long term replacement for Murphy.

Anyone know any Saints fans who watch him regularly?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/18/2312042/fulham-emerge-as-surprise-favourites-to-land-alex-oxlade

Fulham emerge as surprise favourites to land Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in £10m deal as Arsenal swoop hits loan hitch
* Gunners agreed £5m initial fee plus £5m of add-ons with Southampton
* 17-year-old has rejected Liverpool move
* Southampton still hopeful they can sell for bigger fee in summer
* Midfielder wants to stay at St Mary's until end of season

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Fulham are ready to make a sensational swoop for Southampton wonderkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as his proposed £10 million switch to Arsenal is on the verge of breaking down, Goal.com UK can reveal.
The Gunners have agreed a £5m cash payment up front for the 17-year-old plus another £5m of add-ons but the deal has suffered a hitch because of Arsenal's refusal to allow him to go back on loan to St Mary's Stadium for the rest of the season.

MORE...

Spurs target Luis Fabiano with Suarez nearing Liverpool
Pienaar to join Tottenham from Everton
Messi answers Goal.com readers' questions
Southampton believe Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been in brilliant form for the League One club, can give them the edge in their push for promotion to the Championship and the player is concerned that an immediate switch could damage his ambitions for regular first-team football.

Now Fulham are ready to step up their interest in the most coveted teenager in English football. They are willing to meet Southampton's demands for an initial £5m fee and manager Mark Hughes believes he can offer the attacking midfielder more opportunities than he will get at the elite Premier League clubs.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City have all registered an interest in the son of former England international Mark Chamberlain, who Southampton insiders rate as a better prospect than Theo Walcott at the same age.

But it is understood that the teenager, who is a Liverpool supporter, has rejected the Merseysiders' advances because of uncertainty about the future managerial set-up at the club.

"The deal between Arsenal and Southampton has suffered a hiccup because Arsenal have said 'no' to him going back on loan," an insider told Goal.com UK. "He wants to see the season out at his club while Southampton want to keep him to help them get promotion. They are not desperate to sell him and would rather hold on to him until the summer when his fee could go up to £7.5m plus £7.5m of add-ons.

"Chelsea and Fulham are in the chase, while Manchester City are keen but he is not going to go there. He wants to play regularly, which is why Fulham is increasingly attractive."

It is believed that Fulham owner and chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed is willing to sanction a £5m initial fee for Oxlade-Chamberlain as he has been convinced that the player, who does not turn 18 until August, can go straight in to the squad and will have considerable re-sale value.

Oxlade-Chamberlain became the second youngest debutant - behind Walcott - in the League One club's history last March when he made his first Southampton appearance aged 16 years and 199 days. He has established himself as a first-team regular this season, starting 18 of his 27 games and scoring seven goals.

He is being used by Southampton on the flanks but the coaching staff believe his vision, technique, directness and eye for goal mean he will eventually mature in to a playmaker.

Hazey

Surely it would be too much common sense to come to us so he can play regular football... :002:
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Bilet

This would be an immense signing if true, but this can't be?

ron

The name Chamberlain historically sounds about right......

.....I wonder if he's got a best mate he could bring along........?

LBNo11

Quote from: ron on January 18, 2011, 09:00:40 PM

...sounds like Tosh to me ron.. :dft012:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

LRCN

os5889

He's very very good! saw him a few weeks ago when I went to see the folks and he was a defenders nightmare

os5889

This would make my year if it happened to be true, has the feel of the Negredo and Mario Gomez transfers... :012:

os5889

the well known silly season go to guy "an insider" speaks again... I thought he'd already suggested Xavi to join Dundee and Arsenal to sign Adam le Fondre this window....

beijing ben

Quote from: ron on January 18, 2011, 09:00:40 PM

:045:

Blingo

So if Saints think they can get 15m in the summer as opposed to 10m now, WHY would they sell him now? Absolute rubbish story.

Nick the Swede

Quote from: Hazey on January 18, 2011, 08:53:21 PM
Surely it would be too much common sense to come to us so he can play regular football... :002:

Although I think this is a made up story, I have to say that if I was a 17-years old talent and could chose between Fulham and Arsenal I'd most likely think North London would make more sense.

Just look at what Arsene does for young players development and if you're good enough age doesn't matter in Arsenal.

Sad to say, but in this case the sensible thing, from a player perspective, would be Arse(ne)al.

Would I like to learn from:
1. Mark Hughes in a club fighting for premiership survival and a very poor record for developing young talent?

or

2. Arsene Wenger in a top 4 club known for their youth development?
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 19, 2011, 08:16:42 AM

Although I think this is a made up story, I have to say that if I was a 17-years old talent and could chose between Fulham and Arsenal I'd most likely think North London would make more sense.

Just look at what Arsene does for young players development and if you're good enough age doesn't matter in Arsenal.

Sad to say, but in this case the sensible thing, from a player perspective, would be Arse(ne)al.

1. Mark Hughes in a club fighting for premiership survival and a very poor record for developing young talent?

or

Whilst I doubt that this will happen. I am not so sure that Arsenal is the best place for him. Where is he going to slot into that team?

Theo Walcott went there as the next big thing, yet has struggled to really make his mark.

I wonder at what point the 'big clubs' will no longer get the pick of talent. If I was a youngster, I would much rather take a stepping stone between youth club and top champions league team because you get experience.

I guess the risk is that you get a career ending injury before you get to the top. But that is always a risk

SmithyFFC

FTID

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 19, 2011, 09:47:01 AM
Quote from: Nick the Swede on January 19, 2011, 08:16:42 AM

or

Whilst I doubt that this will happen. I am not so sure that Arsenal is the best place for him. Where is he going to slot into that team?

Theo Walcott went there as the next big thing, yet has struggled to really make his mark.

I wonder at what point the 'big clubs' will no longer get the pick of talent. If I was a youngster, I would much rather take a stepping stone between youth club and top champions league team because you get experience.

I guess the risk is that you get a career ending injury before you get to the top. But that is always a risk
Must admit i agree with Nick, we have a terrible track record blooding the young uns, Arsenal bring on loads. If i was him i'd join the Arse.